www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 General Topics
 Waxing chains:

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carolina Posted - 11/13/2017 : 16:42:09

1) (primary cleaning)I did all this and its good clean way to go: chain is so smooth.

https://youtu.be/gF9nbwsaSHs

2) On the go bottle:

https://youtu.be/S_k6Gk6BAMw

I like to get chains oils off totally first. Thats the problem! I can drop in tank at radiator shop.

I bought parifin oil on ebay.

I bought parifin wax bars at grocery store. Ya need both for slow cooker.

The xylene is around town somewhere for bottled version.

velosRus.com
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jerry Posted - 11/20/2017 : 13:39:57
Check out the product Squirt. I have several hundred miles on my present application of Squirt. I soaked the chain in Simple Green for about 15 minute, and then took a small brush to the chain. Apply Squirt by directions. I actually need to remove the chain again and clean it good and all the chain rings and cassette. I didn't clean the chain rings and cassette properly the first time, and I now have a small amount of black on my chain. I have ridden in the rain twic while using Squirt. Once for about 15 minutes in a down pour, and still haven't had to re-lube yet.That might be from the oil residue left on chain rings and cassette though.
carolina Posted - 11/14/2017 : 09:46:52
Itís probably catching on for some situations even though this vid below has way wrong recipe: want never be for everyone.

https://youtu.be/yvJ7aAUWBz8

You haf to have pariffin oil and paraffin wax in slow cooker.

And for mobile touch up bottle you haf to have xylene mixed in per youtube recipe post 1.

velosRus.com
alevand Posted - 11/14/2017 : 07:15:21
Im sorry, but wax is hydrophobic, that's why water beads off a waxed car. That being said, it is only repels water when in a continuous coat. The cracked surface of the wax on a chain allows water to wick into the chain, where the continuous coating of oil (liquid paraffin) doesn't. We'll see oilless chains using ultra low coefficient of friction diamond like coatings (DLC) sometime in the future.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wills

The problem with waxing chains is that block paraffin is hydrophilic- that is, it absorbs water. Wax lubes are good in dry, dusty climates but around here (where every ride is a rainy ride) they turn chains into squeaky rust strings in a matter of weeks.

For me, decent off-the-shelf chain lubes last several months between applications.

C:
Tony Levand
Jeff Wills Posted - 11/13/2017 : 23:32:12
The problem with waxing chains is that block paraffin is hydrophilic- that is, it absorbs water. Wax lubes are good in dry, dusty climates but around here (where every ride is a rainy ride) they turn chains into squeaky rust strings in a matter of weeks.

For me, decent off-the-shelf chain lubes last several months between applications.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000