www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 General Topics
 Bike Insurance?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DBOGJim Posted - 04/08/2008 : 08:33:20
When I purchased my first bent trike in 2004 my insurance company said I did not need a rider for it since it was covered under my home owner's policy. After my Feb. crash I discover I am covered only for personal liability, they paid for the auto damage. And the theft is only while the trike is at home. No comprehensive or collision. And they say they will not write a policy for such.

Anyone know of such available? My trikes cost me 5k and 6k $US.

Incidentaly, the US Greenspeed distributor did nothave the proper cruciform for what I was sold as a 2007 GTO so now I am waiting for Greenspeed to make one and send it from Austraila.
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HyperCol Posted - 10/27/2017 : 05:30:23
Wow this is an old one, there are a small number of trike insurers in UK, though its now 2017 so I expect you have some in US by now, if not try Assetsure, I have my Azub Ti-Fly on a fully comp policy for 183 quid a year, which is steep but the trike cost an arm and a leg so have to have it for a couple of years at least. find them online if it suits you.
purplepeopledesign Posted - 05/08/2008 : 10:08:04
The problem with getting the insurance industry to treat bikes the same as other vehicles is that they will also insist on having government regulation and licensing for safety and "consumer protection." And since there is no inherent crash protection for the stupid, bikes will end up with insurance similar to motorcycles.... only pro-rated for the relative speed difference.

I suppose having licensing will only be a minor inconvenience to those of us who know what we're doing and actually remove a number of really bad cyclist from the road, but I'm not quite ready to spend as much on my insurance as I do on my bikes.

:)ensen.

Those who claim to be making history are usually the same ones repeating it.
dogbittenear Posted - 05/07/2008 : 05:18:35
I checked with the oklahoma insurance commission about insurance for a bike and surprise,surprise,
surprise: "Good luck finding any insurance in the state for bicycles!" was what I was told.
I guess a good trial lawyer on retention is the only way to go currently. But I do remember during
early '70s that bike insurance was sold by a company out of San Francisco, Ca.

Bob
slow2dayandu Posted - 04/18/2008 : 20:09:54
It may help, I have my trike covered on a personal property added to my insurance for the price of the trike, it's value. under my rental plan.
ncaudio Posted - 04/16/2008 : 05:20:23
quote:
Originally posted by Alan

quote:
Originally posted by ncaudio

[quote]Alan, Sounds like a long story (about the R-84) I bought one a few months ago and put an F-40 nose on it, but haven't put on the rest of a fairing yet. What went wrong with your bike, what did you have to fix? I did a search in the group to see if I could find anything on it.

Very bad quality control back in those days at the CA factory. Maybe things have changed since then. That was a long time ago.
Funny thing is I traded the bike for a Windcheetah and the joystick broke when I was pedaling down a hill.

Alan, thanks, the R-84 I bought is an older one, the suspension is the best thing about it and also the worst thing in that as a used bike there is a certain amount of wear and freeplay (in the suspension). I also seem to have a feeling of the rear suspension sometimes steering a bit over cetain types of bumps but want to get the front tightened up first before doing anything with the rear if it still needs it. Overall I like the bike compared to the P-38/F-40 and find the improved comfort is nice and not having to pay as much attention to the road watching for potholes and other imperfections is a plus, it just sort of floats over them. that beign said it is a tweaky bike like a lot of the bikes we talk about on this site, certain tradeoffs to get that last bit of performance.
teubner Posted - 04/15/2008 : 14:29:15
This thread caused me to ask some questions. I just got an email from my American Family agent.

"Did some checking, first the good news. Your bike is covered for theft on or off premise but subject to your deductible of $1000,
so maybe you want to look at changing it back to $500 or $250, which amounts to a 10% or 25% increase in your premium annually.

Collision is not covered and I can't schedule bikes under the home for all risk, they are not eligible under the endorsement. Your
liability would follow from your home if you were to cause any accidents and get sued."
ncaudio Posted - 04/15/2008 : 14:17:13
quote:

...or those that fall apart after a few rides like a fully faired $8600 Lightning R-84.....

[/quote]

Alan, Sounds like a long story (about the R-84) I bought one a few months ago and put an F-40 nose on it, but haven't put on the rest of a fairing yet. What went wrong with your bike, what did you have to fix? I did a search in the group to see if I could find anything on it.
OpusthePoet Posted - 04/15/2008 : 11:55:27
quote:

Opus,
You can buy a replacement bike on ebay for $150. This is a deal compared to most recumbent purchases that are either sold with missing parts, built crooked with wheels out of alignment or those that fall apart after a few rides like a fully faired $8600 Lightning R-84.

No need to insure recumbents when a new reliable bike on ebay cost less than the insurance costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trek-8000-Singlespeed-MTB-Townie-Bicycle_W0QQitemZ130212295324QQihZ003QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would you accept the equivalent of a Kia Rio in exchange for the equivalent of a Pontiac Solstice?

Opus

My gas is up to $.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 20 miles to the regular burrito.
ckaudio Posted - 04/12/2008 : 10:56:04
hmm Gee, I sense that Alan isn't too happy with his replacement warranty frame......... Mine has a few issues also. I think on my next one, it will also be homebuilt. I'll work with John on it. Should have some pictures of his complete bike tomorrow evening.
trsnrtr Posted - 04/12/2008 : 04:46:56
quote:

You can buy a replacement bike on ebay for $150. This is a deal compared to most recumbent purchases that are either sold with missing parts, built crooked with wheels out of alignment or those that fall apart after a few rides like a fully faired $8600 Lightning R-84.

Damn, I could use that bike. Of course, it's a little big...
trsnrtr Posted - 04/12/2008 : 04:42:26
To tell the truth, the deductible on my house and car insurance is so high (house-$2500, car-$1500) that by the time the insurance company got done depreciating my bikes, even the $5,000 one, there wouldn't be much left. :-D

Luckily, I live in an area where bike theft is rare unless you leave it outside overnight, and even then, you would have to put a "take me" sign on it.
teubner Posted - 04/11/2008 : 17:47:50
Probably a lot of risk on the insurers part. For example, you could document that you spent 250,000 British pounds on the worlds fastest bicycle, and it fell in the ocean on the way back from the US.
Charlie Ollinger Posted - 04/11/2008 : 17:17:37
quote:
Originally posted by Runxner

...find a bookie to put odds on losing your bike and place a bet with him every month.

Team Low-Life
Columbus, Ohio

That's insurance, too!
Runxner Posted - 04/11/2008 : 16:18:05
Go Amish , get a group of bikers to agree to replace each others barn.. I mean bent if damaged. Or each put money in a trust every month and divy it out on loses. Wait that is insurance. Or find a bookie to put odds on losing your bike and place a bet with him every month.

Team Low-Life
Columbus, Ohio
trsnrtr Posted - 04/11/2008 : 15:16:18
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

Does insurance cover "acts of god"? like the neighbors house being struck by lightning and catches your garage on fire and burns your speed bike fairing and mold that you work months on to complete?

C:
Tony Levand

I don't know about that, but I had a tree get hit by lightning which jumped a couple feet to a chain link fence, ran down the fence, jumped an inch or so to the neighbor's metal sided detached garage, burned out his garage wiring, and then ran through an overhead line in to his house and burned out his breaker box. He tried to collect from my insurance company instead of his own and my company refused. He was pissed at me until the day I moved 30 years ago. Come to think of it, he's probably still mad.
alevand Posted - 04/11/2008 : 14:50:14
Does insurance cover "acts of god"? like the neighbors house being struck by lightning and catches your garage on fire and burns your speed bike fairing and mold that you work months on to complete?

C:
Tony Levand
acegear69 Posted - 04/11/2008 : 14:03:11
Since I work for an insurance co, I checked with our underwriting dept and they said that they would be able to offer a seperate policy to cover bicycles.

In this case, be also aware that the drivers carrier would only owe for Actual Cost Value of the bike not the Replacement Cost Value.
OpusthePoet Posted - 04/11/2008 : 11:05:15
I'm sorry but my bike is my car. If I lose my bike because of accident or theft I'm as screwed as if my car was stolen, but I can't insure my bike because I don't have a car. Go figure that one out.

Opus

My gas is up to $.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 20 miles to the regular burrito.
acegear69 Posted - 04/11/2008 : 10:14:35
While Tony is right that Jim would be considered a pedestrian an atty is not necessarily needed to make a settlement. WA is a no-fault PIP state and depending on the covarages that the responsible driver had, Jim could make a claim for medical under the drivers PIP coverage. As liability Property Damage and Bodily Injury coverage is also mandatory in WA, Jim could make a claim against the drivers PD coverage for his bicycle damage and a BI claim for "pain and suffering".
alevand Posted - 04/11/2008 : 09:43:19
The driver that hits you pays for the damage to your bike, as you are considered a pedestrian. Your lawyer makes a settlement.

C:
Tony Levand
DBOGJim Posted - 04/11/2008 : 09:23:39
Yes, that is strange. Esp. since my insurance is all with State Farm and has been so for 50 years.

I do not watch TV so have not seen that ad.
OpusthePoet Posted - 04/08/2008 : 17:03:31
I wish I could help you, this is a hot topic over on Streetsblog after the State Farm commercial that dissed bike commuters hit the air a couple weeks ago, because some people have no car and rent instead of owning a house, and can't get any insurance for their bikes either when they are at home or on the roads.

Opus

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000