www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 General Topics
 Top 10 human powered achievements 2013

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
warren Posted - 12/18/2013 : 19:15:55
I don't normally do things like top 10 lists, but it seems like a popular thing to do. So, I'd like to do a Top 10 of human powered achievements for 2013.

Off the top of my head I can name a few. U of T's human powered helicopter feat, the latest Battle Mountain 200 meter record, Greg K's HPB feat, U of T's flapping HP aircraft... Hmm what else?

When we get 10 good candidates I will arbitrarily order them and then add this as a post on the recumbents.com homepage.

-Warren.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Micro Craig Posted - 02/05/2014 : 12:59:02
Thanks, Warren (and Mike, of course).

Craig
Micro Craig Posted - 02/05/2014 : 10:25:32
Warren:
I would like to run your "10 best listing" in the about-to-be-published IHPVA newsletter with credit to you. Would you please drop me a pm for permission to do so?

Many thanks. It is quite a list and should be shown more often!

Craig Johnsen
Editor, HPV News
warren Posted - 01/01/2014 : 09:16:31
Cool. Updated!
Upright Mike Posted - 01/01/2014 : 08:27:59
quote:
Originally posted by warren

I added links and posted the Top 10 of 2013 to the recumbents.com homepage. I fould reference links to everything but Sebastian Bowier's 1 hour ride.

Overview in Dutch
http://en.ligfiets.net/news/4465/1-uurrace-en-toertocht.html

Full results
https://wedstrijden.ligfiets.net/agenda/race.php?id=472
alevand Posted - 01/01/2014 : 07:52:04
http://www.maniacworld.com/japan-international-birdman-rally.html

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 01/01/2014 : 07:43:27
I added links and posted the Top 10 of 2013 to the recumbents.com homepage. I fould reference links to everything but Sebastian Bowier's 1 hour ride.
Upright Mike Posted - 12/31/2013 : 21:54:17
quote:

Ok, Keita Saito of Tokyo Tech's Meister club, won the 2013 Japan International Birdman Rally which was held on the eastern shore of Lake Biwa on July 28, 2013. Meister participated in the human-powered aircraft distance rally category and won with a flight distance of 20,399 m....

Excellent choice Warren - I had no idea that these Birdman rallys could actually result in a sustained level flight. I thought most of them just glided down and hit the water. It seems most of the RedBull competitions are like this. I thought maybe 20,399 m was 20.399 meters since sometimes the comma is used instead of a decimal in some areas of the world. But it is true, he flew for 20 km and about two hours! Here's an article I found (note: maybe we could add references for all our stories) http://www.titech.ac.jp/english/news/2013/022014.html
Speedbiker Posted - 12/31/2013 : 18:35:56
Great list. After fixing the typo on #4, send it to all press outlets! Human power is doing big stuff!
warren Posted - 12/31/2013 : 17:46:24
After much consideration I think for number 10 I will choose Diana Nyad, the 64-Year-Old Swimmer who broke the World Record for Distance Swimming by crossing the 103 mile stretch of water between Cuba and Florida unassisted and in 53 hours.

Arg no I can't use that - no machines involved.

Ok, Keita Saito of Tokyo Tech's Meister club, won the 2013 Japan International Birdman Rally which was held on the eastern shore of Lake Biwa on July 28, 2013. Meister participated in the human-powered aircraft distance rally category and won with a flight distance of 20,399 m. Still far shy of Kanellos Kanellopoulos (Greece), who pedalled his Daedalus 88 aircraft 115.11 km (71.52 miles) from Heraklion, Crete, to the Greek island of Santorini on 23 April 1988. His epic flight lasted 3 hr 54 min 59 sec before an offshore gust broke off the plane's tail and it crashed into the sea a few feet from the shore.

warren Posted - 12/31/2013 : 16:39:41
Yup, I have it listed as number 2!
alevand Posted - 12/31/2013 : 07:27:38
Reaching the south pole on trike should be induced in the list of 2013 human powered achievements.

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 12/31/2013 : 05:40:36
Yep that sounds like it was a great adventure and it's amazing that you went that far.
triyak Posted - 12/29/2013 : 12:45:07
I don't normally blow my own horn, but since I'm probably not on many peoples radar on this site and I fall into a strange sub-category, I'd like to remind you of my accomplishment this year.

My father, Jim Ridings and myself, Randy Ridings, designed, built, tested and rebuilt a human powered amphibian. Then I rode it 350 miles in 11 days on roads (130 miles), water (80 miles) and dirt rail-trail (140 Miles). This trip was done without aid of any support vehicle. I took all my clothing and camping gear and much of the food I ate. I did re-stock some food and a lot of water en route.

I doubt anyone has ever piloted a human-powered amphibian that far before, but I would love to be contradicted, if for no other reason than to know what to set my sights on in the future.

This may fall into the category of a better story than a record, and in that vein, I'd like to add that neither my father, a 76 yr old engineer, or myself, a 49 yr old retired Army officer had any experience with human powered craft before this project, other than me being an avid mountain biker.
warren Posted - 12/28/2013 : 19:31:20
1) The AeroVelo / University of Toronto team members won the $250,000 Sikorsky prize for Human Powered helicopter flight.
2) Maria Leijerstam became the first person to pedal to the South Pole. She was riding a custom ICE recumbent trike
3) Maria Parker's RAAM win in the female recumbent category on a Cruzbike recumbent, and was fastest female overall.
4) Sebastiaan Bowier of the Delft team set a new Battle Mountain 200M world record of 83.13 mph
5) Team Cieo’s Tandem One Hour record of 51.582 miles at the Dekra track
6) Wil Baselmans set a (127.43 kph, 79.18 mph) Personal best at Battle Mountain in the VeloX3
7) Sebastiaan Bowier set an unofficial unfaired stock one hour distance of 32.023 miles at RDW.
8) Gareth Hanks set a 45.857 mile one hour world record in the single rider trike category.
9) Graeme Obree's prone streamliner 200M record attempts for bringing media attention to the human powered speed championships
10) Keita Saito of Tokyo Tech won the 2013 Japan International Birdman Rally which with a flight distance of over 20 kilometers.

Thanks again Mike!
-Warren.
warren Posted - 12/28/2013 : 06:57:43
Oooh, yes that's a good one Mike!
Upright Mike Posted - 12/28/2013 : 05:36:56
This list couldn't possibly be complete without this big end of the year achievement..... it should belong in the Top Ten.

A) Maria Leijerstam, 35 becoming the first person to pedal to the South Pole on a human powered vehicle, She rode across the Antartic Continent in (I think) ten days to arrive by Christmas? She rode a recumbent Trike from the manufacturer ICE. It wsa equipped with wide tires, much wider than most. Her and her crew had to overcome many obstacles including the weather, dangerous crevasses in the ice, and extreme cold and wind. More on the journey http://www.whiteicecycle.com.
Speedbiker Posted - 12/22/2013 : 19:47:46
Oddly,and more specifically, masters is 51 and over. 50 years and five seconds does not make a master.
warren Posted - 12/22/2013 : 17:08:55
Masters means over 50 years old...
Jan v S Posted - 12/22/2013 : 11:12:05
quote:

We had 4 new WRRA records this year.

Larry Lem set a new Masters Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Non Faired class by riding 1 Kilo in 1:16.92 (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 29.08 MPH (46.8 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a Dual 650C FWD midracer recumbent bicycle during the 1 Kilo event at the Hellyer Park Velodrome HPV Fun Day.

Followed closely by:

Phillip Plath set a new Masters Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Non Faired class by riding 1 Kilo in 1:13.61 (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 30.39 MPH (48.908 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a Bacchetta Ti Aero recumbent bicycle during the 1 Kilo event at the Hellyer Velodrome.

Phillip Plath set a new Masters Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Non Faired class by riding 200 M in 12.11 sec (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 36.94 MPH (59.449 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a Bacchetta Ti Aero recumbent bicycle during the 200 M event at the Hellyer Velodrome.

Sjaak Bloemberg set a new Adult Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Tail Faired class by riding 1 Kilo in 66.216 (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 33.78 MPH (54.364 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a Razz Fazz IV recumbent bicycle during the 1 Kilo event at the NVHPV Wintercompetition, Netherlands.

Sebastiaan Bowier did already the 1K in 1:05 in Apeldoorn and several 1:06's just during indoor competition in the Netherlands.
warren Posted - 12/22/2013 : 06:12:04
We had 4 new WRRA records this year.

Larry Lem set a new Masters Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Non Faired class by riding 1 Kilo in 1:16.92 (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 29.08 MPH (46.8 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a Dual 650C FWD midracer recumbent bicycle during the 1 Kilo event at the Hellyer Park Velodrome HPV Fun Day.

Followed closely by:

Phillip Plath set a new Masters Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Non Faired class by riding 1 Kilo in 1:13.61 (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 30.39 MPH (48.908 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a Bacchetta Ti Aero recumbent bicycle during the 1 Kilo event at the Hellyer Velodrome.

Phillip Plath set a new Masters Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Non Faired class by riding 200 M in 12.11 sec (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 36.94 MPH (59.449 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a Bacchetta Ti Aero recumbent bicycle during the 200 M event at the Hellyer Velodrome.

Sjaak Bloemberg set a new Adult Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Tail Faired class by riding 1 Kilo in 66.216 (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 33.78 MPH (54.364 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a Razz Fazz IV recumbent bicycle during the 1 Kilo event at the NVHPV Wintercompetition, Netherlands.
Upright Mike Posted - 12/22/2013 : 04:41:34
quote:
Originally posted by ckaudio

sorry but must correct you Mike. I had a 3:36 at the black bear this year and am the current course record holder ( at least until Bill Hannon takes his milan to it next year) :)

Corrected it Chris. I'm sorry I was trying to find the actual times somewhere (found them now!), but had to resort to my memory on that one!
ckaudio Posted - 12/21/2013 : 17:53:55
sorry but must correct you Mike. I had a 3:36 at the black bear this year and am the current course record holder ( at least until Bill Hannon takes his milan to it next year) :)
warren Posted - 12/20/2013 : 05:57:20
I'm going for achievements. This whole website is a bit dry. Why change?
Larry Lem Posted - 12/19/2013 : 21:59:21
Achievements or stories? Sometimes great achievements are a little dry, and sometimes great stories aren't based on a particularly significant achievement. (I see a lot of good stories above.)

Larry Lem
warren Posted - 12/19/2013 : 19:45:58
That's great Mike.

There are probably some great achievements in Europe. Hopefully we can get folks from those locales to fill us in.

-Warren.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000