www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 General Topics
 Evelyn Hamilton, 1930's recumbent racer?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
warren Posted - 05/01/2014 : 17:45:23
Francois Fauvre gets most of the historic press for racing the Velocar recumbent bike in the 1930's and punishing the upright racers until the UCI banned recumbent bikes altogether.

Very little has been said of the historic female recumbent racers. Female cycling racers were downplayed in general in the early 1900s.

Evelyn Hamilton was a 1930s British cycle racing star, who was known for racing upright bikes.

This is picture of Evelyn Hamilton shows the 1930s British cycle racing star pedaling serenely through the French countryside.

Here's also a video of Evelyn Hamilton riding a Velocar.

While I was not able to locate anything about Evelyn actually racing a recumbent bike, judging by the fact that she dedicated her life to cycling (see the articles below), I would like to believe that she actually raced a velocar recumbent bike.

What I did find was that she "disappeared" from her bike shop in England during WWII and it was thought that she went to France. Apparently this is either was where she was filmed on the Velocar, or she brought it back to England with her.

The picture below shows her on a Velocar derived French recumbent bike called a "Velostable" that is beginning to look more like a tour-easy.

A note with this photo read "The latest in Bicycles, direct from Paris, as shown at the lightweight cycle show at the royal horticulture hall, London. What is proclaimed to be the "bicycle of the future: is an entirely new conception of the bicycle. On this machine the rider sits as in an armchair and presses forward to the pedals thus being able to employ the leverage of the powerful muscles of the back to assist the pedalling thrust. Great speeds are attainable on this machine and on one of the similar type but less advanced design, a continental rider has beaten records which the worlds best riders have attacked in vain on normal mounts." Dated 10/28/35

Here's a video of her on a Triumph Moller recumbent bicycle, which was introduced in 1936.

In fact, the Velocar is not the only recumbent the intrepid Miss Hamilton rode! Here's a video of her riding a Ravat Cycloratio SWB recumbent. The Cycloratio was patented in 1936 in England by a Frenchman, manufactured in France and imported into England by the Cyclo Gear Co.

Link to Google search of Evelyn Hamilton britain cyclist

-Warren.

(Added info on bike models from Mike Eliasohn)
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Micro Craig Posted - 05/14/2014 : 08:08:45
Thanks, Warren. I'll be in touch for the link(s).

Craig
warren Posted - 05/12/2014 : 09:07:14
Hi Craig,

Yes, that sounds fine.

-Warren
Micro Craig Posted - 05/12/2014 : 09:04:13
Warren:
With suitable credit to you and to recumbents.com, would you be willing to let this piece be published in IHPVA's next issue of Human Power News as an interesting historical perspective?
We are going to be doing a large piece by Chet Kyle on the history of the IHPVA and they would dovetail (sorta). Also, it might get out to a view more folks that way.

Thanks for considering the request.

Craig Johnsen
Editor, Human Power News
Speedbiker Posted - 05/04/2014 : 09:26:33
Yup, I see it now. If I had it I would put a steering wheel knob on it.
Jeff Wills Posted - 05/03/2014 : 21:38:31
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Thanks for the cool article. I like the bike with the steering wheel. Is that inner ring for the horn, like on older cars?

I think what you're seeing is the brake cable.

Speedbiker Posted - 05/03/2014 : 07:13:22
Thanks for the cool article. I like the bike with the steering wheel. Is that inner ring for the horn, like on older cars?

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000