www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 Dual 700C quasi-lowracer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
warren Posted - 03/29/2012 : 17:11:25
Page 1-10 of this thread are about the steel version of the Dual 700C quasi-lowracer, Page 10+ are about the spiffy carbon fiber version of this bike.

Here's Larry's Magic Bike, a dual 650C lowracer.

Rob Enlish's Hachi

I have thought about a dual 700C lowracer for years, but never thought the bigger front wheel would make that much difference. Larry proves otherwise. Of course it also has to do with him laying flat, which I'm still not sure I could do.

A bit of drawing time shows that my long legs can indeed straddle a 700C wheel, without even having pedal strike.

This would be a FWD steel lowracer, with rolled curved 2" tubes. Not super light as I will probably need to use .049" wall tubing to get decent rigidity out of that long bend, but it should be well under 30 lbs.

-Warren.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Speedbiker Posted - 01/31/2017 : 15:51:25
Never mind. I somehow didn't scroll down to the last sentence.

You should be fast in Florida!
Speedbiker Posted - 01/31/2017 : 15:49:00
I remember that, and good job! But what class of roadies were they? Cat 1,2,3? Nonlicensed? Pro? I remember Sean and Glenn giving the pros a good scare (in their respective countries).
warren Posted - 01/31/2017 : 09:23:40
I finished 2 minutes ahead of all the roadies. They put me in the recumbent class, which they created after the race was completed to avoid pissing off the roadies. At the podium awards they gave me fastest recumbent award, then gave the fastest roadie the fastest overall award even though I was fastest overall. Whatever, we both got the same cheesy plastic trophy.

I agree that the fastest roadie guys must have been elsewhere.

Thanks!
Patrick Bateman Posted - 01/30/2017 : 21:28:28
Great job!

This is probably the best bike you've built.
Speedbiker Posted - 01/28/2017 : 06:21:11
Warren, what catagory did they put you in? When I quoted those bent wins that was for overall (Cat 1). 25 mph rarely wins Cat 1.
stix Posted - 01/28/2017 : 05:58:16
Well done Warren. Great effort to record a faster time than a group of strong riders.

Stix

Peregrin on Birk (Birk Comet RT with full fairing)
Lightning F-40 (built around R-84 frame)
Soma Smoothie Upright
Speedbiker Posted - 01/27/2017 : 08:49:25
Great job! The list of bent riders who have gotten 1st overall at time trials is pretty short(Randy, Lemmy, Sean, Mike, Me, you, maybe a few others). You might stand alone in winning a road race.
warren Posted - 01/27/2017 : 07:26:37
Looks like I didn't add the notes about the Sept 2016 Kickstand Classic here. I won the event on this bike over a couple hunded roadies. You can check out my pictures and story from that event here: http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/dual700/default2.htm

Crossing the finish line

Also I recently discover that this bike works well on my OneUp trainer. I thought my knees or legs may hit the trainer because of the FWD but it's fine other than being a bit flexy when pushing at high power. I should add a triangulated stand to replace the rear wheel to resolve that.

Runxner Posted - 01/13/2017 : 08:31:21
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

It would be ~ cos(30)*27+12+2+2-1= 38.3 in (96 cm). cos(30) would be your variable.

C:
Tony Levand

I would just measure my screen and do

LengthZ/56" = Screen Measurement/Screen Wheelbase

Team Low-Life
Lowracer Test Pilot/Evangelist
Balor Posted - 01/13/2017 : 06:57:34
By the way, are fwd lowracers that much better than mid/high racers? AFAIK, you cannot hide transmission into riders slipstream for obvious reasons.
Balor Posted - 01/13/2017 : 06:49:13
You may have to resort to shorter cranks at the very least. Fortunately, unless you go below 140mm it do not seem to affect power (and may in fact may be better for your knees and aerodynamics).
warren Posted - 01/13/2017 : 05:52:49
Wow Tony, I think that is almost exactly right. Basically that measurement is my crotch to heel. I'll measure the actual distance tonight.
alevand Posted - 01/13/2017 : 04:18:31
It would be ~ cos(30)*27+12+2+2-1= 38.3 in (96 cm). cos(30) would be your variable.

C:
Tony Levand
ElectricStreamliner Posted - 01/13/2017 : 00:20:43
quote:
Originally posted by warren

Frame to pedal, you mean side to side? The frame is about the same width as the BB. Turning radius is good, I think its around 16 ft, but it's something you need to practice as you can't pedal while turning. The shorter you are, the higher the seat will need to be to fit your inseam.

Forgot to link in this thread with pictures of me and the bike at the kickstand classic bike race: http://www.recumbents.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6661

This is what I mean...

I have a 88cm inseam and am 183cm tall. I am considering a dual 700c build since I have a road bicycle that would have most of the components I'd need.
warren Posted - 01/12/2017 : 06:10:15
Frame to pedal, you mean side to side? The frame is about the same width as the BB. Turning radius is good, I think its around 16 ft, but it's something you need to practice as you can't pedal while turning. The shorter you are, the higher the seat will need to be to fit your inseam.

Forgot to link in this thread with pictures of me and the bike at the kickstand classic bike race: http://www.recumbents.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6661
ElectricStreamliner Posted - 01/11/2017 : 23:36:56
This looks like a good bike you've built, I have a few questions.

What is the distance of the frame to your pedal?

What is the turning radius on this bike?

I have measured my road bicycle to be 94cm from the saddle to the pedal but I can reach to 99cm (becomes a clown bike with the high saddle). I'm only 183cm tall so I am concerned I might be too short to use a 700c wheel. What do you reckon?
warren Posted - 09/05/2016 : 12:20:27
After the Saturday HPRA race around the North Manchester, IN high school, I had to fix the rear brakes as they had come loose. While doing so I noticed a crack in the left rear chain stay. You can see it in this picture. The crack was in an area that I had over sanded and could see some blue foam poking through the CF weave (upper left corner in the picture. This track has a sharp bump in the back straight that must have stressed it during the race. I'm lucky that I caught it when I did! I put the bike aside and just raced the trike that Garrie loaned me for the rest of the event.

Lately I have been spending a lot of time fixing the rust on my old Maxima. When I was was in my 20's I spent a lot of time doing body work on old rusty cars and making them go faster. Then when I was in my 30's I could actually afford new cars and thought I wouldn't have to do the body work any more. Stuff happens and I can't bring myself to drive a rusty car around. I have at least outgrown the need to "make them go faster".

Today I finally got around to fixing the crack. I sanded the area and added 3 layer of CF over the cracked area, then added the peel and bleeder plies and wrapped it with inner tube to provide pressure.

It turned out nicely. Now I will be ready to race it in Cedar Rapids, IA later this month!

Warren

Johnsfwdbent Posted - 08/21/2016 : 15:13:13
Warren it is good that you saw that fracture before it failed!

I ride in the wind and don't seem to get blown around too much, about the same as my mbb.

Balor I haven't noticed to much difference in speed, maybe the fwd is faster but also 10 lbs lighter.
I should do some timed hill climbs.

John
Balor Posted - 08/21/2016 : 05:52:06
Wow, you are HUGE! 26" wheels on your RWD bent look more like 20" wheels in comparison :).
How's uphill performance on FWD compared to FWD MBB?
warren Posted - 08/21/2016 : 03:55:41
The front wheel disk makes me get blown around by any winds which keeps my speeds low, but the deep dish wheel up front is fine. I personally would not use a front wheel disk on that bike while riding on the street.

I got a stress fracture in the top of the left stay on the new cf bike while racing it yesterday. It was where I had already identified that the cf was very thin, and I could see the underlying foam in a few spots. I'll need to fix that before racing it again.
Johnsfwdbent Posted - 08/20/2016 : 22:03:37
Thanks Warren,
I've been running dual wheel disks on my 700c mbb for thousands of miles now.
I think that it makes the tiller steering a little harder to get used to though.
Also it probably helps being near 200lbs.

John
warren Posted - 08/20/2016 : 16:40:58
Looks good John, congrats on getting it put together so fast. Wow, front and rear disks! That was a real handful for me to ride like that in any kind of wind.
Johnsfwdbent Posted - 08/20/2016 : 15:13:36
Some pictures
https://goo.gl/photos/jbAjbBFDh8n5TQCh9

John
Johnsfwdbent Posted - 08/18/2016 : 20:02:44
Warren,
I built my own seat similar to my mbb seat. It's heavy 5-6 lbs
I have about 100 miles on it, still dialing it in.
Added a clamp on, bottom bracket to illiminate hard crank interference and chain scrub over the tire.
Also size 14 shoe from hitting derailuer.
I thinks this is going to be my fastest bike, even faster than my M5 lowracer with a 559 front wheel and 15deg. Seat.

John
warren Posted - 08/17/2016 : 15:54:38
I don't have any flat courses available that are longer than a mile or so. That's too short to get any meaningful results. Coast down works pretty well if you have someplace you can get over 20 mph and then coast to a stop.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000