www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Velomobiles
 Carbon mold/tool for lower&upper enclosed velo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carolina Posted - 05/15/2014 : 12:24:23
How l started. My airplane molds (BD-5) l own are used for cf velomobile unibody. Ideas/conversations are welcome: march-7-2015 [This past MAY has been 2 years].

My molds favor this shape:

velosRus.com
-----------------------------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carolina Posted - 08/18/2018 : 18:00:04

Was nervous trying mavcoat for first time. The test worked incredible, rubbed 4 coats on with lil square piece of t-shirt. The grey plug was only wetsanded and buffed. After curing over night i grabbed it with light pressure/1 hand, and the mold and plug fell apart on table.

The old saying “ to good to be true” ,, well this one is proven true. Mavcoat cuts out 5 days of prep work on big mold for one man shop like mine. [even with prep with old methods your part could stick but not with mavcoat]. We are seeing these new products catapult composite industry forward for pros, amateurs, and novice builders. Now that my test is complete, i will Spray mavcoat with my $14 top feed spray gun. 1.4mm nozzle/mavcoat washes out with alcohol.
————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 08/16/2018 : 21:47:03
You’ve seen top and rear cowling above post. Heres last painted piece.

————————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 08/15/2018 : 20:30:11
Travis painted tonight, just sent a pic. Get it tomorrow night.

Quest color: RAL-1023 yellow.
————————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 08/14/2018 : 13:52:08
Thanks for watching, after 3 months the 3 piece rear wheel wells mold (tool) is finished. Will trim and smooth perimeter and clean poly vinyl alcohol off. Bolt together after inspecting and spray 6 coats of MAVCOAT on and then make first part. There is 1 more small flat mold not in photo that is a rear cover panel.

I simply un-bolted this day and took plastic wedges from harbor freight and patiently and carefully popped the three pieces apart starting with the small back piece first.

[update: now will only use mavcoat, no more buffing, hand waxing, spraying PVA]. Then pullpart after cure.
CLEANED AFTER TRIMMING AND SANDING PERIMETERS: I FOUND BEST WAY TO REMOVE PVA (poly-vinyl-alcohol) FROM MOLD IS BOILING HOT WATER.

Zoom in above you see the locking alignment pyramids built into each flange. Make it easier to bolt back together each time and no slipping of 3 piece molds. Learned at university of YT.

Plug going to storage tomorrow, perimeters of molds all sanded smooth. Tonight i brush on whole perimeter of all 3 pieces with black epoxy tooling gel. Protects edges, makes for easy clean up and separation of molds bolted together when your getting part out.

—————————
Brevity and misspellings rampant:

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 08/07/2018 : 20:40:08
Upper top paint job in ral-1023 yellow turned out great.

Travis picked up lower tonight, probably cured and ready in week.
——————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 08/06/2018 : 09:15:51
Arthroscopic L. knee last Wednesday. Shop resting a while like me. Swelling going down. Like my topless dancer friend use to say “that is swolt up real big”.
———————
Kervelo parts come in with extra pay checks.

————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 07/24/2018 : 11:18:11
https://youtu.be/sHEESAP0H0o

Answers on my fence/3 piece mold or tool. Makes great carbon part.

3rd and final piece of mold finished by tonight:

Getting close to finishing in few more days/more glass mat in wheel wells. It will be worth it. Big heavy 3 part mold. Drill 6mm bolt holes in flanges tomorrow. Orange
peel-ply from local fabric store.

Bolt holes drilled and bolted:

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 07/21/2018 : 15:34:12
The grey plug, now with fence. It will no make 3 piece mold. Fence wood at Home Depot with 2 coat of polyester epoxy on. Tape, hot glue, & wooden blocks hold the two fences. Part 1 will be made first. Orange polyester tooling gel

This is part 1. The yellow filleting wax come from UK (easycomposites). Put these pyramids of wax on fence then you have alignment pyramids built into each mold flange. Then bolts in between and on either side. On their youtube channel. Tomorrow i will spray coats of poly vinyl alcohol on and start layup of part one of mold.

————————-
Sunday money: 4 coats super thin pva, 20 mins per coat. 3 coats of orange polyester tooling gelcoat brushed, 1 hour between coats. Then 1 layer of 3/4 oz glass mat, and walk away til next day. Next day, knock down mat a lil w/sandpaper and do another mat coat. After 3 l switch to carbon fiber with epoxy resin on top of polyester resin. E over P, never P over E.

One of 3 coats of orange, brushed on. Respirator and eye cover, wait hour or so and repeat. Nice when u can do with brush. Turns out great, ive built a room full of em.

————-
2 layers of glass mat on now, will start carbon over this tomorrow. Wish i had 100 yards of 40 oz diuble plain weave fiberglass. Its a wash, carbon layers are stronger quicker with less layers. Glass mat so they say preserves the tooling gel by building a fiber skeleton over the orange.

TOP IS 6 OR 7 LAYERS OF 11 OZ TWILL WHERE THE FENCES ARE.
carolina Posted - 07/16/2018 : 10:49:56
Ed miller and l riding around: good vid

https://youtu.be/FsjQj4Ee1kU
—————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 07/15/2018 : 10:43:10
Rear cowling in yellow single stage now, matching mirrors from netherlands. Travis will paint top next week.

Top next week then lower unibody.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 07/14/2018 : 11:44:52
More duratec on front wheel wells yesterday, now roll rotisserie over to chair position for wet sanding and buffing.

—————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 07/11/2018 : 19:10:02

1 (black#) has whooped me couple days, made in posterboard, then bent metal @ airport. Metal piece 1 is a plug that i will pull mold from. 1,2,3 become 1 piece rear bulkhead and keeps all elements out and becomes stronger. Red 4, & 5 #’s are the rear wheel wells. New part from mold takes 12 screws.
—————

This aluminum plug with wood on it, then filled a lil’ with bondo later tonight. This plug should hold its shape clieco’ed in position. Then tomorrow will prep other side with duratec an polish, then pull a lil’ one piece mold from it. Put the wood on with U-428 from DOW chemical and used their dow primer too.

Finished spraying 3 coats of duratec grey, wet sanded to 1500. Now buff and pull mold is next step.

————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 07/08/2018 : 16:16:49
FOUR WHEELER:

Couple more layups inside plug that mold to top of wheel wells;

Ready to wet sand and buff, finish a few more thoughts first:

This is a plug for the 3 wheeler: “rear wheel well”

Brevity & misspellings rampant:
———————————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 07/02/2018 : 10:44:43
Now 2 good coats of duratec on. Now fine filling and light sanding. I use sikkens kombi putty.

If ya had big money you could get plug cut on cnc. Speed up big time.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/30/2018 : 01:41:48
Your mama! Paddys pub , really nice last night. Gotta have a break sometimes. Lots of pretty girls.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/27/2018 : 21:12:47
Filling & sanding, filling and sanding , filling and sanding ,filling and sanding ,filling and sanding ,filling and sanding, filling and sanding: Notha week, could be starting a 3 piece mold.
I brush on filler (duratec and ever coat feather fill) first few dry sandings. I put black pigment in sometimes so i can see flaws. Then get out spray gun, then wet sand. Try to get to 1500/200 then makes buffing easy. After buffing wash with hot soapy water and rinse. Then TR mold release hand wax/ebay. Plugs & molds are rewarding.

———————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/22/2018 : 21:04:41
Plug movement everyday, YAY,, micro (glass spheres) and compositeenvisions dot com medium epoxy. Yard work/house work, ebay fenders/sold 2. Had a window Blocked up in my house. Located color of paint for doctors velo, probably travis will paint in week or so. Ral-1023 yellow. Changed frt window in velo to petg and took out makrolon. Looks like petg will take a licking and keep kicking. Makrolon will not. I say always use 0.30 even at lil higher cost or haf to order it.

————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/17/2018 : 19:21:40
Short vid: big plug for 3 part mold. Heavenly!

https://youtu.be/oFtN15c_sq4
———————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/17/2018 : 12:27:01
Warren: put hardware back in this morning and found more adjustments to make. Thats the way it is always. Keep hunting and making all fixtures and hardpoints best. Mr oxindine taught me sheet metal here 9 months on rv-4. He had taught me this and many other techniques. Dividers, and calipers, seemstress soft measure tapes really help amateur categories.

Also this guy is great for simple techniques,,,subscribe and follow/hit the bell:

https://youtu.be/xTQWnOgVZAs
—————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/16/2018 : 20:59:31
Thanks, moved lil further along with both WW’s today. Getting short on micro-balloons/order monday.
1) have light grey ever coat
2) have quart of dark grey duratec coming
3) confidence in my spray painting is great.

Really happy with sprayed front wheel wells in big orange lower mold.
—————-
Don’t use 2k primer on molds for restore. Use only duratec products and that ever coat light grey is from the same polyester family. Always epoxy over polyester, never polyester resin over epoxy. So u see most big molds are polyester/orange tooling gel is the poly family. Your part is carbon and epoxy resin. 2K primer is from neither family. Duratec products with pva or mclube and your part want stick.
————————
If one can make a plug they want, the rest is dow hill.
———————-

velosRus.com
warren Posted - 06/16/2018 : 12:48:26
Looking good!
carolina Posted - 06/16/2018 : 06:25:01
Working my way up on each wheel well:

—————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/15/2018 : 13:26:32
Got a thick first coat on of duratec on front two wheel wells to preserve them for many more unibodies. Already did rear bulkhead.

——————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/15/2018 : 10:44:45
What you may or may not like about making plugs with no cnc. Lots of body work. Upol bondo and finishing glaze and sikkens kombi putty. (Ebay or local). Belly ready for duratec, then up in top of WW’s/wheel wells.

Getting to where i can spray good enough for amateur. This is a plug, not a mold and not a part.

———————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 06/12/2018 : 17:24:41
Stopped today and built in this inch top flange, “tilted” in bondo rear plate there in photo below. Flange holds the back of rear cover between wheel wells. Bondo with carbon layed inside the flange. I use polyester resin on plugs since only used one time,, (dry in 2 hours so i can start another area).

Globs of bondo and sanding, i use steel files on bondo too and profile gage some areas.

This plug will make a 3 piece mold, this back vertical plate will be the 3rd piece. Other 2 pieces split on belly plate, splitting the two wheel wells in haf. But whole part will be one piece. Clear duratec used as gel coat. Wax and pva as the release of part.

———-
Inside of WW’s will be clean and protected by duratec since this is male mold. No deterioration in WW’s by weather, dirt,etc..
———————

velosRus.com

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000