www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Velomobiles
 Carbon mold/tool for lower&upper enclosed velo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carolina Posted - 05/15/2014 : 12:24:23
How l started. My airplane molds (BD-5) l own are used for cf velomobile unibody. Ideas/conversations are welcome: march-7-2015 [This past MAY has been 2 years].

My molds favor this shape:

velosRus.com
-----------------------------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carolina Posted - 12/09/2018 : 09:05:14
Still sanding, close to rolling over the unibody and finishing belly and the two wheel wells. Amateur is ok, keep learning. Entrepreneur , no! Medicare and ss is more fun, hehehehe. This one will be painted white with adds on side.

The auto body warehouse supply has always helped me with new products, they learn from body shop owners and l learn from them as it’s passed down. “PRO TIPS” from people doing it for many years. Same with composites industry. My friend is production mgr at pursuit boats. He has gave me contacts and told me many modern techniques in boating industry. The contacts on phone especially.

————————————

Over the hill on the kervelo, starting on rear rack that holds gear and top seat mount. Try to find left and righ panier bags.
——————-

velosRus.com
awilson40 Posted - 12/05/2018 : 09:55:03
will do :)

Optima Baron Elite
Cervelo RS
carolina Posted - 12/05/2018 : 09:25:59
Well, send me email, big time velo excitement here always.

velosRus.com
awilson40 Posted - 12/05/2018 : 06:46:48
Man, thats looking good. I'm gonna have to take a road trip one day to come down and see your work. I'm in Greenville, NC.
carolina Posted - 12/04/2018 : 12:47:45
This is base rim mold of top:

I have top fitted, now to join it to base rim with fiberglass and gallon of bondo. Then more sanding to make plug upper.

——————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/29/2018 : 11:15:58
Warren: tv show bumped up 10 days, cameraman he uses went to emergency hospital for something.

The new upper setting there, stare at it and measure. Later it will be foam, wood, lots of bondo. A bunch of work i will do to get a good shape and pedal clearance.

Last years top : take the yellow one for a spin soon.

————-

velosRus.com
warren Posted - 11/22/2018 : 15:28:29
Cool!
carolina Posted - 11/22/2018 : 06:27:34
They will film here Wednesday about the velomobiels, shows on pbs, youtube, east coast tv. A great youtube channel.

Coming next week around 9th.

https://youtu.be/yPQa4IhEnyI

———————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/21/2018 : 12:26:11
Mock-up of side mount front derailleur. Try to figure it out.

——————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/18/2018 : 09:02:27
Just slow body prep and light primer going on, nothing to show. Experimenting with my air brush for spraying thinned primer for unibody and down in the big lower mold/tool that then gets wet sanded smooth as possible in mold.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/12/2018 : 16:38:35
Installing rear WW’s.

Yellow Quest ,,, and DF four wheeler prototype photo below:

——————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/10/2018 : 16:47:30
Working on fit at rear. Four wheeler WW’s going in and body work. Wheel base 46 inches.

Last night and lil today: measured, drilled, & cleico’ed rear 4 wheeler unit in.

————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/08/2018 : 11:48:47
Well, here i go trying to put these pieces together. Top pieces will be a plug to make a mold. Rear WW unit setting there to be fitted. Its a unibody so there is body work much.

Top is down forward, (top plug is 4 pieces with some bondo, foam, wood, & much sanding) can’t see in most pics. And i have pedal clearance. Will be riding it topless and no rear cowling for a while.

————————
Brevity & misspellings rampant
———————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/07/2018 : 21:21:46
Thank heavens for mavcoat release. World record holder solo, yep l gotRout by myself. I owe it to Mavcoat release. If ya like watching wrestling, ha,,, thats like what it is. I did learn some stuff/tricks for next time to ease release.

Well you’ve seen the rear ww’s up above, they will go in the rear of this blk carbon unibody.. When i get better there will be less waisted time doing light body work on outside of these unibodies.

———————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/05/2018 : 20:52:22
This is 4 wheeler: pop out of tool this week later, try to make a vid.

https://youtu.be/579PyZPu388
——————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 11/01/2018 : 23:15:37
1st layer of rolling chain canal. Have a seat with peel-ply.

Yellow Dacron peel-ply is so wonderful. Throw in the garbage next day & keep rolhoff’ing.

Only rear bulkhead to complete:

——————-
———————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/31/2018 : 15:43:42
More pics of unibody. Floor and rear vertical bulkhead left. Then let cure.

Did left & right rear walls today.

All the hardware from this will go in carbon unibody, then heavy frame an fenders in storage.

——————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/30/2018 : 15:27:19
Just for this nose area in front of wheel wells. The rest is more forgiving going reward.

5 hours, tough work! Twill (2), uni, innegra. Did learn couple techniques that will save me on next one. Thats just the way it goes.

FLOOR/chain canal last.
——————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/27/2018 : 17:06:40
Amateur carbon layup/2nd velomobiel:

Nice one piece front wheel well layup, some hardpoint locations are 4 layers (seat mount & vertical layers for Macpherson strut). Takes at lesst 3 hours to cut patterns, carbon and layup. By myself l use peel-ply to stop and start another day. Do other ww soon. WW’s are worst part. Quattrovelo uses 5 women to do the unibodies layup, i need 5 women.

—————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/25/2018 : 08:38:07
Been working on experimental plane i have for sale. After this 4 wheeler is completed l want to build another small plug and mold/tool. My rear cowling is removable and i want the front removable so if wrecked in front or rear hopefully the whole velomobiel is not damaged. Just replace front or rear. Like the waw, it makes for ease of transport. Well, it’s something to thing about.

I use 4 kinds of carbon:
1)11oz., twill
2) uni, looks like a wooden deck all in one direction.
3) 7oz. Twill
4) thick biaial carbon
5) innegra in between carbon layers.
————
velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/21/2018 : 20:40:38
[edit monday 22nd night time: sprayed on 6 coats mavcoat with tiny gun, wiped down with paper towel between coats every 15 mins then covered again as in pic below]. Next clear gelcoat.
[2nd edit, it’s night time... The mavcoat is now covered with mix of duratec hi-gloss additive and clear gelcoat & its dry to touch for hours but i will let fully cure before layup of cabon.]

Mavcoatmoldrelease.com taught me this & allert @ velomobiel.nl:
1)cover after cleaning lower tool with alcohol.
2)cover after spraying 6 coats of mavcoat release.
3)cover after spraying clear gelcoat over Mavcoat release.
4)after you pull your carbon part out of mold/tool, cover again & be ready to make another part which is the beauty of mavcoat release.
5)painter, very happy,, he or she sands clear gelcoat and then do their thing.

————————————

———————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/15/2018 : 13:34:18
[update] just prepping the big lower mold here on friday.

Now lower mold is complete and ready to prep and layup a unibody.

Drilled, top mount curing in flox/epoxy. Couple blemishes covered in micro.

Here is pic of upper top:

————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/14/2018 : 15:00:28
Mold made today, sunday afternoon. Took few hours today and couple hours last night.
1)last night, orange polyester tooling gelcoat (1hour between 4 coats).
2)then two layers of 3/4 oz. glass mat using polyester.
3)today 6 layers of carbon 11oz. twill using epoxy. (Always e over p).
4)orange peel-ply.
5) cure tomorrow evening, trim it and smooth it Monday.
6) near a yard of carbon used.
7)near 47 days
8)had top here for year, was time to work on it.

BOUT 15 minutes this Monday morning to take apart, very happy with mold and mavcoat release chemicals: 3 small blemishes to fix. 1)orange mold, 2)grey plug.

https://youtu.be/l3Sf12oY9rI
——————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/09/2018 : 17:58:08
PLUGS (MASTERS) RULE THE WORLD.

Finally sprayed a coat, now some find sanding. First week or so of prep l brush on primer/some gets sanded off with the fine glaze filler. Ive am much better with small top cup spary guns from harbor freight, & cleaning gun is easy nowdays with the sprays they have at autobody warehouse. Or carb cleaner does good to and cheaper.

Been on this plug project 42 days.

———————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/06/2018 : 11:58:27
Working on rain gutter under intersection. Orange plug is almost complete, takes only hours to layup the mold on it if you use epoxy tooling gel coat, day or so more if useing polyester tooling gel coat.

You can see cut intersection of rear cowling and front top.

Couple days shaping rain gutter with bondo.

—————————-

velosRus.com

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000