Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Carbon mold/tool for lower&upper enclosed velo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carolina Posted - 05/15/2014 : 12:24:23
How l started. My airplane molds (BD-5) l own are used for cf velomobile unibody. Ideas/conversations are welcome: march-7-2015 [This past MAY has been 2 years].

My molds favor this shape:

Rear cowling will look like this photo below, my velo at rear is 5" wider: plus i have a rear bulkhead like the WAW velomobile.

brevity&misspelling rampant
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carolina Posted - 03/20/2018 : 09:15:48
tonight: i will route front cord like challenger, up and over ww, driver can tie off with right hand (zoom in on blue cord, i have pulley that goes in frt.)

I like the tilt-over canopy like the challenger eu velo. Easy off for maintenance or ride with top off if needed. No leaks on this canopy with heavy downpours.

Enter/exit right/USA. (Unibody velo)

Challenger velomobile: europe (shell on a trike velomobile)

velosRus.com. 18283
carolina Posted - 03/18/2018 : 14:43:11

Test cowling turned out great, popped out today and learned what I needed about the mold. I wrestled the 3 pieces and won again. I use plastic wedges from Harbor freight and blow 100 psi down in there too for release. This was cheap one with polyester resin, fglass, some left over kevlar pieces.

This waiste piece is one of the 8 pieces iam useing to try to make a “plug” for rear 4 wheeler wheel well set. Went out on a limb a lil and used frekote only with no tr wax. It came out, but next one that is carbon/innegra and epoxy resin. l will use frekote and TR mold release wax.

carolina Posted - 03/17/2018 : 18:21:02
Spent 6 hours on this today. Made a rear cowling for me to use in shop for mock up. Trying to make a 8 part plug that will become one plug for the four wheeler rear wheel wells unit. Then make a 2 part mold i hope.

Taped up flange for easy clean up.

Used polyester, fglass, & some kevlar.

Polyester resin mixed with black color additive and duratec higloss additive too.

carolina Posted - 03/16/2018 : 21:09:03

14 sp, 750w, iTunes, usb, led greatness, warm & dry.

carolina Posted - 03/16/2018 : 10:36:56
Seat view:

carolina Posted - 03/15/2018 : 18:15:50
New polycarbonate i will try. Five window canopy. No heat for now. Thinner and flexable polycarbonate.

carolina Posted - 03/13/2018 : 13:10:20
Got’er done! Wheels & foam bumpers:)

Need to make a couple parts soon, mold is frekote’ed!

carolina Posted - 03/11/2018 : 22:37:21
Yes the innegra is sandwiched in between of cf or fg.

The mule I built is 4 wheeler now with pinion 18 sp trans, SRAM 10 sp at rear. I love the rear-end allert invented in the Netherlands over a year or so is incredible w/mini air-bags, differential, and all.

Please start a thread here below me and Terry for your beautiful Mulsanne velo. We are glad your here indizzy. Everyone will wanta see inside and out of your velomobile.

ibdizzy1 Posted - 03/11/2018 : 22:11:12
OK. I got registered! Carolina, your canopy is looking great since I last saw it! When you use innegra, do you layer it top and bottom with something else in between? or do you have a single innegra layer in the middle layer with something else above and below it? I'm curious about what you have found to be the strongest most durable way to layer it?
Great progress you are making! Four wheels for traction and stability! Wow!

Dan Isbell
carolina Posted - 03/10/2018 : 15:28:29
Made new carbon window frame with twill,uni,innegra & some peel-ply in a few places. Polycarbonate windows going in later.

carolina Posted - 03/04/2018 : 17:01:54
Rodeo! I won!

Got lucky, nice 3 piece split mold, No blemishes or bad areas in 3 pieces. Some wet sanding and polishing of orange tooling gelcoat. That mold took forever, was not expecting that. Alot of work. Quicker way would have been the blk epoxy tooling gel & carbon. And flange fences are pia.

Will take few days to prep mold for 2 layer part w/innegra. 14 layers of release (3 cans) agents. Not including buffing. Trimming & sanding flanges outside in monkey suit big pain.

Current photo:

Getting ready to put legs on mold:

carolina Posted - 03/02/2018 : 17:01:02
Velomobiel riding.

carolina Posted - 02/28/2018 : 18:26:23
Finally getting close to finish. 3piece split mold. I finished 2 other molds, started another complex mold, and mod’ed my lowracer while still trying to finish this mold. Huge project.

carolina Posted - 02/23/2018 : 18:59:30
I use 3 layers of mat over orange polyester tooling gelcoat to give it structure then i cheat with carbon or fg boat cloth over mat with epoxy. 1/4” flanges drilled and bolted.

Formula used: E over P always. (Epoxy over polyester). The big orange cowling mold i wanted to do orange because orange can be buiffed to higloss or repaired, sanded & buffed to higloss.

The black molds i make are black epoxy tooling gelcoat & carbon over that.
I always use 3/4 oz mat. Compositeenvisions.com

Matthew Martin: watch this vid again.

Matthew Martin Posted - 02/23/2018 : 18:53:04
Hi, you note that you use 3 layers of mat... is this 2oz mat? Is three layers of mat strong enough for a mold?
carolina Posted - 02/23/2018 : 18:39:07
Warren, built this for doctor w/750w bafang. It grows on ya.

Nice to have molds finished but I’ll keep making improvements/more plugs and molds. Somewhat addictive to retirees. Shop time! Gotta build me a unibody. Riding now in this incredible weather/80 everyday, nights are great. 4 wheeler has spoiled me, don’t want a trike.
warren Posted - 02/23/2018 : 08:14:03
Wow, you have a tail AND a top! It's starting to look like a real velomobile!
carolina Posted - 02/14/2018 : 16:07:23
A & B complete, now start C of 3 part mold: rear cowling.

1st of 3 coats of orange every hour then 1 layer of glass mat each day for 3 layers.

carolina Posted - 02/06/2018 : 10:05:04
Another plug started few days ago : this part will accept the 4 wheeler rear-end hardware in the carbon fiber velo unibody. Wheel wells, floor. Also will use HILGO rear shifter on order (not a conventional derailleur). 10 sp rear & pinion 18 sp at front.

5 pieces so far, 2 more.

8 pieces now almost finished to make 4 wheeler rear-end hardware plug. May finish in few weeks:

carolina Posted - 01/31/2018 : 11:36:30
New canopy look:

1) more pedal clearance
2) make windows at home & install
3) no oven windows/ great for owner repairs

Relaxing to layup this part last night. Mold turned out great. Majority does not want a canopy style velomobiel but l wanted one to ride all winter here with fairly mild winters @ night or day.

I think it looks good/favors the challenger velomobiel. And can install led brake lights atop the unit also.

Waiste part: above
Unit glues inside of cf canopy along with the 3 windows. Gonna build a joggle on the mold after i find scribe line with this waisted part i made with blk polyester and fiberglass. Next one for use will be 2 kinds of carbon with innegra imbedded in it.

[Finally frekote]

carolina Posted - 01/25/2018 : 22:31:52
Two and half hour layup. 5 & 6 layers of 11oz twill. Should be a nice window frame mold/tool.

carolina Posted - 01/10/2018 : 17:35:55
New plug to pull another mold.

This will make a 3 window carbon frame to install into the carbon canopy.

Out side is together now @ seams with bondo.

Will flip tomorrow and glass inside for strength.

This plug will be grey duratec and wet sanded hopefully in week or so.

Two different styles of windows in my carbon canopy up front.

Closer to pulling a mold from this plug too: sand and sand. Then polish.

Sprayed this first coat out in driveway today, now some fine tuning wet-sanding and then buff the polyester and pull a mold from this:

carolina Posted - 01/07/2018 : 12:29:32
Check out ovens in general topics for other parts of this velo.

carolina Posted - 01/07/2018 : 10:27:45
Started the split mold of fear cowling . Zoom in u see the 4 wheeler hardware from europe on my shop vehicle.

Closer: 3 part mold

Also will use this split mold below to make rear wheel wells for my 4 wheeler velomobiel unibody.

Brevity & misspellings rampant. (New lens in left eye/blurr)

carolina Posted - 12/11/2017 : 21:24:00
Sorry this gets boring but plugs and the hardest longest parts to finish in the industry. Large companies pay 125$ per sq foot to have them made & ready to polish.

i’ve learned that I don’t hate making plugs and a bunch of new techniques. Some of the next big plugs will be foam covered in duratec products. Type in fiberglast.com. & watch their YouTube channel.

From this to:

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000