www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ShelGame Posted - 11/02/2015 : 06:21:08
Been sketching this for about a month now. I had decided that after the prone, I wanted an actual recumbent that I could ride long-distances.

I've given up on the prone, an am now pulling-ahead this project to this winter.

Most recent drawing:

I like the look of the X-Stream, but also the Reynolds Nomad. So, I tried to take the basic tubular frame design of the XStream, but dimensions more like the Nomad -- Lower seat height, and more slack heat tube angle, slightly longer wheelbase.

I no longer work in the same shop with the very talented professional welder that did up the aluminum prone frame for me; so, this one will be fillet brazed 4130 steel.

Cut wood for the jig this weekend. New Oxy/Acytelene bottles should be delivered this week, along with the 1-1/2" x 0.035 tubing for the frame. I already have the drop outs, bottom bracket, and mid-drive I've collected over the years.

Jig board still needs legs to get it up to working level.

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ShelGame Posted - 11/07/2017 : 09:55:24
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

How about moving the front wheel back and Zing the frame a little?

Like this?

Thought about it. Right now, I have a fascination with 'stick' bikes. So, I was seeing where it could go; how low you can get the seat, and what it would look like.

I actually have a Rans F5 steel frame coming today. I'll probably play with that first for a while and see how I like it. Then decide what to build next...
alevand Posted - 11/07/2017 : 05:29:49
Looks like a Bacchetta.I made a bike once with the BB that high, seat was much lower, 15 inches, I would fall over at stops, trying to get my leg up that high to start, with an up hill grade. With the seat that high, you can walk it first to get rolling, then bring your legs up, so your tiller should have a pivot, so you can sit up. The forward bars makes that easier, to pull up on. Of course if its just for racing, its fine.

C:
Tony Levand
Speedbiker Posted - 11/07/2017 : 00:30:52
How about moving the front wheel back and Zing the frame a little?
ShelGame Posted - 11/06/2017 : 21:43:17
No Z. This is just a first sketch. Literally did this last night in a hour before bed. Really just a geometry study at this point. Feel free to poke holes in the idea.

Speedbiker Posted - 11/06/2017 : 18:55:25
Sounds good. I assume the frame will have a slight Z?
Jerry Posted - 11/06/2017 : 17:47:13
I have a high racer, mid racer, and low racer. The mid racer is a Catrike Musahi and handles like a very expensive sports racer. The high racer is a hand full sometimes in traffic and high cross winds. The low racer you need to pay attention at all times. If I were to build my own, it would be something like the Musashi. It is very fast and nimble. The seat recline is not 10 degrees, but that can be worked out. Good luck with whatever you choose.
ShelGame Posted - 11/06/2017 : 13:52:08
quote:

Then a low/highracer!

Getting closer!

I worked on a sketch last night. I'll post it in a new thread later.

But, briefly, I'm looking at a 700/650c 51" WB, RWD stick bike capable of a 10deg seat angle; and with a fixed short boom BB; 23" seat height, 30" BB height.

What I'm not sure of is, the relative strength/stiffness of the main boom that long as a monotube. It might need to be a truss frame in steel.
Speedbiker Posted - 11/06/2017 : 12:26:52
Then a low/highracer!
ShelGame Posted - 11/06/2017 : 09:21:14
quote:
Originally posted by carolina

Yea shelgame, build a low race bike like sb said. This build is incredible, look what you know. Class A+. Maybe two 20 wheels racer.

velosRus.com

I have something in mind, but I'm just not into the low racer thing. Yet.
carolina Posted - 11/06/2017 : 09:09:28
Yea shelgame, build a low race bike like sb said. This build is incredible, look what you know. Class A+. Maybe two 20 wheels racer.

velosRus.com
ShelGame Posted - 11/05/2017 : 18:17:43
quote:

How about leaving that sweet bike as a tourer and building a race bike? You know you can!

You might be onto something there, Thom...
Speedbiker Posted - 11/05/2017 : 10:47:49
How about leaving that sweet bike as a tourer and building a race bike? You know you can!
ShelGame Posted - 11/05/2017 : 08:11:08
quote:
Originally posted by warren

How about 26 wheels? They have a very large selection...

Large selection, yes. But, generally not in road type tires or rims. Its hard to find rims narrower than 20mm. Actually, 20mm would probably be OK. But then finding tires seems difficult. There appears to be more available tire-wise in the 650c (571) size.
warren Posted - 11/04/2017 : 23:00:09
How about 26 wheels? They have a very large selection...
ShelGame Posted - 11/04/2017 : 18:46:40
OK, currently, the lowest I can get the seat with the 700c on there is 26.5deg. If I go with a 571 wheel, basically I can lower the seat 1". But, that only gets me 1.5deg lower; down to ~25deg. Now, 1" lower is of course going to be better. But, is it better enough to justify the wheel change? I'm not so sure.

I couldn't find any decent tires in the 559 size, that's why I was looking at 571. 559 would get me only another 1/4" lower.

I really need to lower the top of the seat 2.5" to get down to 20deg. Not sure I can get there with this bike.

Johnsfwdbent Posted - 10/29/2017 : 20:17:24
Depending on your wheel base you might gain 1 1/2 degrees changing to a 559 rear tire thats what I gained on my MBBLR.
But that would give you room to rotate your seat back 3 degrees or more depending on where the tire would rub the seat.
I say go for it, you will notice better aerodynamics.

John
ShelGame Posted - 10/29/2017 : 18:15:32
Had another thought today while staring at the bike...

Right now, the seat is at 25deg, and cant really go any lower - with the 700c wheel. If I go to a 559, I calculate I should be able to get the seat angle down another 10 deg. Im not sure it will really go that low, but I think it certainly will go to 18 or 20.

So, does the more reclined position outweigh the loss in rolling resistance of the slightly smaller tire? My guess is yes.
Speedbiker Posted - 10/19/2017 : 23:00:07
When I was the first bent to finish(followed closely by Mowett and Jacobs) my bike weighed 38 pounds. Sure, I wish it'd been lighter, but I beat about 600 lighter bikes!
ShelGame Posted - 10/19/2017 : 12:32:42
Oh, my body definitely needs to drop another 20lbs (at least). But, I can't help wanting to make the bike lighter, too.

I also think I'll try to mono-kote the rear rim.
Jerry Posted - 10/12/2017 : 08:42:52
I found it a lot easier for me to lose 5-10 pounds off my old body than 1 pound off the bike. A carbon seat would be better than a fiberglass one though.

I finally bought a house in North Richland Hills, only five miles from my daughter's house in Colleyville. It also isn't very far from your mothers house, about 6 miles.
ShelGame Posted - 10/08/2017 : 19:40:03
Thinking about how to trim weight form this bike over the winter. It weighs in at 32.7 lbs right now, painted and ready to ride.

1st up: the steering stem and handlebars. I think I can trim a half pound probably from the stem itself just by going to a curved riser.

Then, maybe, a carbon seat instead of glass.
ShelGame Posted - 07/29/2017 : 19:40:03
Also ordered a 53t for the big sprocket. I'm spinning out the 48 on downhills...
ShelGame Posted - 07/29/2017 : 16:51:11
First ride today on the LWB since paint. The stiffer riser helps the steering feel, for sure. I'm felling really good on this bike. PR's like 10 segments on Strava today and really didn't feel like I was pushing. I guess I was, got a calf cramp again. Really, this bike doesn't feel as fast as it apparently is. On my C'dale MTB, I definitely feel the sensation of speed. Not so much on this bike, even though it's actually about 3mph faster on most segments.

Back to the cramp: I really feel almost too close to the pedals. But, I read that being too far can cause cramps? Maybe it's just cleat position?I have my cleats set as far back on my shoes as I can get. Are there some SPD compatible cleats that set farther back?

Then again, maybe it's all just electrolytes. My right calf was starting to feel like a cramp just walking into work the other day. And, I hadn't ridden all week until today...
Jerry Posted - 07/12/2017 : 20:44:01
Colleyville is getting very upscale. And Southlake is full of $30-$40 million palaces! The whole area is going crazy.

I know what you mean about having enough time. I am retired and have only ridden 20 miles since Sunday.
ShelGame Posted - 07/11/2017 : 07:12:15
Colleyville is an upscale neighborhood now, from what I hear. It was a small quiet little farm community when I was in high school...

60 miles per week is the problem. I only seem to have time for 20-30 (if I'm lucky). Too much going on (job, kids, etc.). I don't know how other guys with jobs and families manage to train so much.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000