www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Velomobiles
 My future corovelo project

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jerry Posted - 06/21/2017 : 14:45:15
Orin Peters from NV, built this nice velo out of coroplast: https://www.flickr.com/photos/okpeters/sets/72157651905111646/

He has been tearing up the west coast HPV races with it. I am going to try and build one similar to Hidalgo on my cheap Performer trike. There is a thread on BROL about how he wore out all the commercial made velos. It is a good read. He wasn't doing the bragging, the guys in the commercial made velos were.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carolina Posted - 08/05/2017 : 13:14:55
Ok good ya have the cell back! Tonys a good member.

The netherlands taught me to use DOW on all cf to cf parts. The two pieces of coro cannot come apart, (i guess:) iam sure,) its not silicone as you know. I wonder what OBrien uses?

I just mask off and shoot a cosmetics bead of it after the structural bead is cured the following morning.

You can build a winter shell and a summer shell.

Heres your summer & spring top/affordable:

[/URL]

velosRus.com
Jerry Posted - 08/05/2017 : 05:05:01
Thanks Carolina. I use to use that dow U-428 stuff on my old Dodge 4 wheel drive pick-up. I was out cutting firewood when my buddy missed judged his throw, and the piece of wood went through my rear window. I used the Dow sealant and it worked great. Same stuff the guy used to put in a new windshield in my car a couple years back. I could use the Dow on the inside and between coro joints. Man, that would be very strong.

Tonyscat has been talking to me about my build. Nice guy.

My cell phone has been broke for a few months. Just replaced it the other day. Yeah, I know, I am cheap! It is the same number, just a new phone.
carolina Posted - 08/04/2017 : 20:26:00
Heres matching pic below of zombie pic above. Interior shot.

All the velomobiles are adhesive together with windshield adhesive, the stuff is incredible. Shame its not in colors. I have ryobi cordless caulk gun to shoot the aluminum containers. I wish i had known about dow u-428 (ebay) windshield adhesive years ago.

[/URL]

velosRus.com
Grant-53 Posted - 08/04/2017 : 19:45:33
Lots of good combinations available. I have 9mm aluminum honeycomb for bulkheads, sheet aluminum 0.016" and the chicken wire/0.005" tarp laminate to use along with the coroplast. Some curved PVC tubing in the nose helps keep it stable. There are a number of adhesives better than hot glue for structural work. A recumbent pedal car could be fun if light enough for hill climbing.
carolina Posted - 08/04/2017 : 17:48:58
No l dont think he posted but a few pics.

velosRus.com
Jerry Posted - 08/04/2017 : 17:25:21
Yes, another corovelo this winter for sure. Where did you get the pictures of Obrien's? Does he have build pictures? I really like how he did the tail section. Looks like the turtle deck comes off so you can get to the rear end. I am tired of the cable ties and tape joinery! My next build might be aluminum and aluminum pop rivets. The hot glue doesn't cut it for me. I wonder if shrink wrap would work in some areas?

My next trike and coro build will have indirect steering. You have a lot more options that way.
carolina Posted - 08/04/2017 : 16:45:02
You'll be building another soon, it in your blood now.

I love how OBrien used thin aluminum to hold coro to his frame , really clean looking.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Close out with flex fabric:

[/URL]

Jerry Posted - 08/04/2017 : 15:16:26
I am taking the corovelo out again tonight. Last night was very funny. The reactions from people are just too funny. If there is enough light I will turn on my GoPro and post a video on youtube of some of the funny reactions I get. I must have had to talk and explain what the corovelo and recumbent trike is to over 100 people. I end up telling them to go to this site and look at all the build projects here. At least 20+ young people were very interested in building and buying recumbents. One high school kid told me about the solar car project his class worked on. He now wants to build recumbent trikes and bikes. I do not put down other types of bikes, just tell the benefits of recumbents.
carolina Posted - 07/29/2017 : 14:17:57
Found this pic: looks good for trike with tiller, 1/16 acrylic windows.

[/URL]

velosRus.com
Jerry Posted - 07/29/2017 : 10:55:58
I took the whole front top of the corovelo apart yesterday, and raised the top 3/4" and pulled the right side in about a 1/2" to match the left side. I also re-did a few other things to it. It feels even better to ride now. My knees do not hit anything and it just feels roomier.
carolina Posted - 07/25/2017 : 18:22:59
I have good luck with photobucket.

velosRus.com
Jerry Posted - 07/23/2017 : 20:03:31
Just signed up for an Imgur account. I'll post more pictures when the head lights get here. They must have shipped them on a sailboat from China! I ordered the fan Friday, got it yesterday. I ordered the headlights over a week ago and it hasn't got here yet.
Speedbiker Posted - 07/23/2017 : 16:04:11
I love the solar charge idea! How about a recent picture?
Jerry Posted - 07/23/2017 : 14:33:27
Bought this little fan that runs off 12 volts yesterday for the corovelo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000765MHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.Man, it is very powerful. Works 100 times better than the D-cell battery fans I tried. It will blow your hair straight back on high speed! I'll run it off my little 5 pound 12 volt battery. Thinking about using my flexible trickle charge solar panel to keep it charged. The battery will run the head, tail/turn/stop lights also. I will get another 5 pound battery for back up.I will take both batteries on tours. I use a 16 oz air horn for a horn, less drain on my batteries.
Jerry Posted - 07/16/2017 : 13:00:07
Heck Thom, I'll have to change the PETG out every 6 months from all the scratches I put on it. Ha. I have some Lexan also, but I don't like using it.

I don't think I will be at races until September, if then. Too much stuff going on including trying to find a house and move everything down from MO that I have in storage.
alevand Posted - 07/16/2017 : 11:00:02
Hope you make it to the races next weekend.

C:
Tony Levand
Speedbiker Posted - 07/16/2017 : 08:00:17
UV does affect PETG more than some other plastics, but it still takes YEARS. I've used it for canopies and wheel disks and estimate they last five years before the get brittle. But in that Texas heat you want as little clear areas and maximum white areas.
Jerry Posted - 07/15/2017 : 18:34:08
Thanks Thom. I finished another hood while at my mom's house today. I came out great except for one small thing. I was hot and tired and should have quit, but being me, I went on trying to get it finished before the big thunderstorm hit. I had marked it out and cut one side just right. The other side had a pencil mark about 2 1/2"s from my cut line on the other piece and I forgot to pencil it out. Guess which line I cut on? Yeap! The wrong one. Ha. I'll build a better one when I get back to the RV tomorrow. The one I built today works great, just looks bad where I pieced it together. It doesn't look too bad, but you can tell it because it has tape on the seam.

I know PETG is not good for UV, but I have enough I can make 20-30 windows and windshields. Plus, i can stick the film tinting to it. I was going to box the headlights in with silver backed mylar. Build a square box with the back closed so the light will all project out front. Might use silver mylar on coroplast.

The tail/brake/stop flexible lights was delivered today. I like the fact that the turn signal is directional, turn on the right one, and it blinks from the left to right in little arrow shapes.

Still need to redo the steering handles. I want the wheel wells completely closed in. Can't do it the way these direct steering handles are made. It is an easy fix. My problem is I like riding it so much, I don't want to spend any time working on it now. Ha.

The turtle deck is only 3's above my head and is designed to be used with the hood on it. When I have my helmet on, the deck is only about 3/4" above the helmet. My GoPro sticks out above the deck.

I am going to add a mount in the front and rear for my GoPro and other camera. Also will add amber side lights on each side like my utility trailer has on it. When I get everything just the way I like it, I am going to build another corovelo around an Ice or Catrike with indirect steering.
Speedbiker Posted - 07/15/2017 : 09:25:56
That's what it's all about. Good job, Jerry.
Jerry Posted - 07/15/2017 : 07:37:43
Took the corovelo to Paris, TX for their first Paris Recumbent Rally. Had fun, met several nice people, ate watermelon, and did a little riding. An 81 year young Tom was my riding partner. He wants to build a corovelo out of his Terra Trike. Cool! It was a very nice turn out for a 1st Rally in a small town. I would say at least 30 or more people showed up. Easy Street Recumbents hosted the event. Nice people who came all the way from Austin to put this on. I got a picture of my corovelo in front of the Eiffel Tower. Okay, it is a small replica of the original one. Can't post the picture with this slow wifi. Maybe later. All in all, a great day. Glad I didn't try riding to the event. It got close to 100 degrees and was humid. The traffic was also fast at 70-80 mph for 125 miles! Nice shoulder, then it would disappear. I pulled my trailer with the corovelo on it. Left the rally and drove 280 miles to my mom's house.
Jerry Posted - 07/12/2017 : 06:27:20
I have been too busy the past few days to do any work on the corovelo. Helped my daughter get moved yesterday. Wow! Two trucks and 8 men, and I still had to make 5 trips with my minivan and trailer. Finished at 11:10 PM last night.

I am thinking maybe instead of changing the steering handles, just make oversize wheel wells, and enclose them with spandex. I have heavy duty 4 way stretch spandex that should work. Need to also finish the hood, cut opening and install plastic lens for headlight, make armrests on each side, cut opening for back storage, install air horn, install the two new motorcycle headlights form ebay, the two flexible stop/tail/turn lights from ebay, and two batteries for drills and wire everything up. I guess I had better order new motorcycle controls for the lights and turn signal flasher. Left mine in storage in MO. Oh well, too hot for the hood anyway, so I can still use arm signals for now.
Jerry Posted - 07/09/2017 : 15:30:00
A short video of me hitting 45+ down a small TX hill. It was 97 and the humidity was around 95% at 2 pm. It was the only time today I could sneak off without the grand kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-W3mn5K5M
Jerry Posted - 07/09/2017 : 11:09:13
My two grandson's wanted to ride in Pa's new corovelo. Priceless!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrM7qcsFPwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u54XI4aIWqk
Jerry Posted - 07/08/2017 : 13:47:46
Rode 4 miles to the gym in the new corovelo, worked out, and then rode another 16 miles before going home in 97 degree weather. Got home to download 10 videos from today and yesterday from my GoPro, nothing there. Hmmm! I guess I need a new GoPro. Anyway, I got most of the bulkheads installed.Need to re-do the hood. Time spent working on it will be limited the next few days as I am helping my daughter move. The 13th I head out for my 2 day tour. WhenI get back I am starting on the Wakefield Baron!
Jerry Posted - 07/08/2017 : 11:01:57
I like these, https://www.ebay.com/i/262625911072?chn=ps&dispItem=1.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000