Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Recumbent Touring
 Natchez Trace - Not

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alevand Posted - 08/28/2017 : 18:25:11
I am going to meet Jerry on the Natchez Trace in October. I don't have the details, not sure if I am riding from home, 1000 miles to Natchez or driving there and just ridding the trace for a few days. That's the plan anyway. I don't think the 26x26 bike would be ready so it would be the carp. I have two routes to Natchez, the flat route an the scenic route with lots of hills.

Tony Levand
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jerry Posted - 03/23/2018 : 21:13:00
I do not ride in the rain. Those days are over for me. I am way out of shape, but I don't plan on the trip being a race. If I need or want to stop every 10 miles, that is what I will do. Stopping and taking breaks makes for an easier long day for me. I much rather ride 80 miles at 12-14, than killing myself to get there in 4 hours. As long as it is still light enough to make camp, shower, and eat, I'll be a happy camper. Mongo not very friendly when Mongo not happy! Lol. Some body go get some change. What do you have in your mouth, gum? Nuttin. Ha. 1974.

I ordered two whoopie slings and will go to REI for ridge line like Shugs.

His real name is Sean Emery and was a professional clown and juggler. He now does a comedy routine. He has hammock camped in -45 degrees F!

alevand Posted - 03/23/2018 : 19:28:22
Rode 62 miles today, redid the nose this afternoon, no faster 16 mph into the wind and 20 back.. It might be the fat BMX tire in front, or the cold weather, or Im just out of shape, or the nose is too blunt.

You must not be expecting any rain on the expedition.

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/23/2018 : 13:16:04
Here is my new touring rig. I rode it for 5 miles with 30 pounds on it. Had to move the 20 pound kettle ball closer to the trailer wheel to stop it from wiggling at over 20 mph. Going to eat lunch and then load it up with all my stuff and go for a 20 miler.

And yes, I am indeed a tornado magnet! Lol. That is why I want to ride the Natchez from south to north. Most tornados come from the SW, so maybe a tail wind.

Got in 20 miles fully loaded. Crazy winds today. Need to re-arrange some stuff on trailer. Anything over about 4 pounds tongue weight and the trailer really wobbles at speeds over 12 mph. I can not go to sleep sweaty or sticky, so I think I might bring the solar shower. I am bringing two pots, one for coffee, one for oatmeal. My soda can stove will boil a cup of water in about 3 minutes, and a cup and a half in around 4 minutes. I am not a weight weenie tourer, but the soda can stove doesn't even weigh one ounce. I'll bring along a spare because I tend to forget things!

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way

Great song, great band, and it is going to be a great ride.
alevand Posted - 03/23/2018 : 12:01:11
Oh, Great, I'm riding with a tornado magnet.

I tried out the pad last night, indoors, seems OK.

Bike is 5mph slower than the Carp.

Its a 13 hour drive to Natchez.

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/23/2018 : 07:40:35
My mother is coming this Sunday to stay a week or two. I hope see will stay two weeks, then when I take her home, I'll head on over to the Natchez Trace after spending a couple of days at my mother's house.

It is 62 here this morning, 90 by the weekend. I have to water the new grass every morning for 3 weeks for warranty.

Don't jinx the trip! Lol. April is tornado month in MS. It is a lot like MO in there are usually a tornado every Memorial weekend too. I was riding a motorcycle down then brand new I-55 outside Jackson MS in 1977. I had been out partying and decided to ride to my sister's in LA. I didn't know there was a hurricane going on. I didn't keep up with stuff like that when I was in my drinking and toking stage of life. Anyway, it was about 5 am a I was getting hit by rain drops that felt like baseballs and the wind was blowing in excess of 70 mph. i could hardly keep the bike upright. All of a sudden I was getting hit with 1" hail and the wind got stronger. I pulled over at a school bus lean to. It had a roof and metal on 3 sides. I heard a train rumbling only it was a tornado. It was swinging back and forth about 300 yards or so. It would cross over the new highway and then over to the other side. It picked up a huge bridge scaffold and everything else on the new pre-cast bridge deck, including several sections of pre-cast. Luckily it missed me by over a 1/4 mile. They say it stayed on the ground 13 minutes. All I know is after the storm passed, I rode at 80+ mph to get out of there. When I got to Vidalia, LA just over the MS River close to Natchez, MS, another tornado had just gone thru about 10 minutes before. In all, they said over 15 confirmed tornados hit eastern LA and western MS that day. Isold that motorcycle a few weeks later. Then I moved to MO and they had 22 tornados Memorial weekend in 1978, 3 that hit where we were playing a round robin softball tourney. I do not like tornados at all!
alevand Posted - 03/22/2018 : 20:27:09
25 here this morning, snow this weekend. Yes there about. Weathers been nice, probably turn nasty by mid April.

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/22/2018 : 19:23:43
80 degrees here. Saturday 90, with Sunday & Monday 85! Way too hot for me and an enclosed bike or trike.

I need to start riding more miles. Not much time left. I'll get up early and go for a longish ride in the morning.

Two months notice seems way excessive to me. Would it effect your retirement if you decided to retire before the 60 days? I do not miss work what so ever. I stay too busy to get bored.

Are you still planning on being in Natchez on the 16th?
alevand Posted - 03/22/2018 : 12:21:26
Doesn't look like they are bothered by bugs.

.. Well I played hooky and took a half day off work. I really don't feel like working, and the 60 day notice they wanted is way too long.

I rode to Hobby Lobby and got the nylon spandex that you recommended, its 4 way stretch, 80% nylon 20 % spandex, black, 12.99/yd. To cover up the holes in the bottom.

On the way home a 40ft school bus stops in the intersection driver gets phone out and starts videoing, blocking one lane. I couldn't see traffic to get across. I finally yeld at him to move the bus.

At a stop and 80 yo lady out for a walk asked my if it had batteries, I said no, it was gravity powered. Gravity? she pondered. Yes, I pedal up the hill and its gravity powered going down. The lady next to her chucked.

Chain got jammed this morning, shifting both derailleurs simultaneously hitting a bump. I need to fix that.

I got the camping pad and spoke protector last night.

... Changed out the first 3 cassette 30-23-20-18-... to 32-26-21-18-...dint have to add any links, spoke protector dint fit.

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/22/2018 : 07:47:49
This man and his wife hammock camping on the Natchez Trace on DF bikes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsamt1gEDoA
Jerry Posted - 03/21/2018 : 15:53:38
That is old grass in the back yard. These pictures are the new level yard and grass, with new flower beds.

alevand Posted - 03/21/2018 : 11:28:45
A high of 50 would be warm here. That look like old grass. My insulated static V pad should be delivered tomorrow

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/21/2018 : 10:50:36
Since spending the last two winters down here, anything under about 50 degrees feels cold now.
alevand Posted - 03/21/2018 : 09:58:39
It was 28 here this morning.

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/21/2018 : 08:51:55
Temperature at 8:30 am
/img] .

I put the three small air pads next to full size air pad and it seems to work okay now. I spent about 1 1/2 hour in hammock this morning and it was nice and toasty even without top quilt at 53 degrees. Tightened up the ridge line and dropped the hammock about 5 more degrees and bug net works better now.

Jerry Posted - 03/21/2018 : 07:41:10
Spandex for the hole. If you use 4 way stretch spandex, it will move several inches easily and return back to shape.

I watched most of the youtube videos. I like the one using 4 pennies and shock cord. No sewing and you can take everything off and use as a blanket. Another back packer uses his air pad and puts foam pads on each side of air pad using velcro. That way the pads do not move around as it fills up the whole bottom of hammock. Decisions! If we stay mostly in dugouts, all I will need is a pad. It will probably be in the 80's during the day and upper 60's lower 70's at night. Especially in MS.

If I do use the hammock, I need to remove the bug net and re-sew it. It is too large for my hammock. I forgot I had made it for another hammock using the ridge line as the hanging straps also. Now I am using straps for the hammock and a separate line for the ridge line. I need to cut off around a foot of the bug net and re-sew the shock cord channels.
alevand Posted - 03/21/2018 : 06:11:32
Yes, air pads and hammocks don't play well together. There must be 15 you-tube videos on making a cosco underquilt. Looks like it will be warm. You could uses it as a top quilt too, if you have to sleep on the ground, like in a church.

I haven't decided what tent to use. I sewed a screen door on the tarp bivy, it looks homeless. I am going to look at parking the bike inside the tent, as a support again. It take a tarp twice the size as the bivy, or I may use the florescent green stealth camping tent, if I spray rain proofing on it.

I need to figure out how to close up the huge hole on the bottom of the fairing. It needs to move for steering and allow my feet through unimpeded.

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/20/2018 : 19:40:54
I think I will get the Costco down blanket to make an under quilt. No pad works very well inside the hammock. I like this way of building the under quilt because it is not permanent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2JH-O0792g&feature=youtu.be
alevand Posted - 03/19/2018 : 19:26:20
Windy today, 18 mph with 30 mph gusts, though most of the commute home was with the wind, it didn't seem worse than the carp. I need a recovery day today.

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/18/2018 : 13:30:22
Sending bag back. One seam along the zipper is missing being sawn about 8" long. I might just keep it and re-sew it. I'll turn the bag inside out and check for more imperfections. I need to practice my sewing anyway!
Jerry Posted - 03/17/2018 : 18:19:05
Got my mummy bag today, only it is not a mummy bag! It also is not 27" wide, but 23". It is however over half the weight of my other sleeping bags. Guaranteed comfort down to 20 degrees.
Jerry Posted - 03/17/2018 : 06:31:30
Bought a cheap, $39.97, self inflating sleeping pad off Amazon. I like it. It is still inflated after leaving it out all day yesterday and last night. I like it as well as my old Big Agnes pad, and about a $100 cheaper. Haven't gotten the mummy sleeping bag yet. Was suppose to arrive with the pad, but didn't. I needed something that folded down smaller than the 3 sleeping bags I had. I am hoping I fit in it. Never could sleep in a mummy bag before, but this one is about 27" across the top.
Jerry Posted - 03/16/2018 : 17:22:15
85 here https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/tx/north-richland-hills/76182 .
alevand Posted - 03/16/2018 : 07:02:11
Its still winter here a full fairing is very nice.

Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/15/2018 : 17:18:51
Anything enclosed is too hot for me when it gets above 70 degrees. I don't think I would want to tour in a streamliner! I would rather ride at 14-15 mph with fresh air hitting me than 19-20 in a hot enclosed streamliner. What I should do is put a disc brake fork on the Musashi and use it for touring. It handles like a dream compared to the Baron. The Baron is ok, but you have to be paying attention all the time. The Musashi I can turn around and look behind me. I would not try that on the Baron. Not on the streets anyways.

Then again a Catrike Expedition is a very nice touring machine. It is pretty fast and can carry a big load. Put my trailer behind it and it would be even better. The comfort factor of the Musashi or a trike is higher for me than raw speed on a tour.

My trike with full fairing is over 60 pounds! And it is too hot in the fairing to ride during hot summer days. I got to where I was rinding it at night time last summer. I prefer riding at night, but not Friday or Saturday nights. Too many drunk drivers out then.
alevand Posted - 03/15/2018 : 16:09:50
Top makes a big difference. Carp was 49 lbs with faring, swb should be 40 lbs. Id like to get a full faired bike around 30 lbs. Loaded down streamliners are not fun to ride.

Tony Levand

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000