www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Recumbent Touring
 Natchez Trace - Not

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alevand Posted - 08/28/2017 : 18:25:11
I am going to meet Jerry on the Natchez Trace in October. I don't have the details, not sure if I am riding from home, 1000 miles to Natchez or driving there and just ridding the trace for a few days. That's the plan anyway. I don't think the 26x26 bike would be ready so it would be the carp. I have two routes to Natchez, the flat route an the scenic route with lots of hills.

C:
Tony Levand
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alevand Posted - 04/24/2018 : 20:21:50
Yes, you can take the coal fired steam ship across the lake to make up the lack of co2 from the batteries.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/24/2018 : 19:01:11
I bought a 56 volt lawn mower today with a 5ah battery. Love it. Quiet and no gas! My grass trimmer and blower are 120v ac. I am thinking of getting the battery ones. The battery for lawn mower will work on all three tools.

I have a lot of jobs to get done on and around the new house. I need to paint the two sheds, new exterior doors on house, and replace and paint exterior trim and soffit on house. Caulk everything outside. Finish my garden and put down weed barrier in strawberry patch. The three grand kids came over and picked the first batch of strawberries this afternoon. I think there was only 10 that were ripe.

Finish the NoCom, build a fairing for Musashi and new steering for it, and redo the corovelo.

Hopefully I can get everything done by July. Thinking about a tour of Lake Michigan after Northbrook. Probably start in Ludington and ride north and take ferry back from Wisconsin. That would be about 525 miles unless I toured the upper penisular too.
alevand Posted - 04/24/2018 : 17:22:51
My ride is not leaving until Friday.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 04/24/2018 : 13:24:13
I've ridden along the lake up to Door County Wisconsin may times. Some of the trails further north are pretty rough, like the Ahanpee trail, more like mountain bike trials, not suited for your Musashi. The interurban is paved.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Is the rivet you use the dual head two-piece rivets. The large heads grip soft materials without crushing them. A blind rivet tool is required for installation?

I have been studying these maps and reading journals about a tour around Lake Michigan. http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9615_11223-146053--,00.html

July and August seem to be the best for weather. This guy started the 1st of September.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=522058&v=3T

Wisconsin has printable county road maps here:
http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/travel/road/hwy-maps/county-maps/default.aspx
Some counties and cities can be contacted for their bike trails. I also have the latest edition of the Great River Road Trail.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 04/24/2018 : 12:32:43
Mine not bad, its gone already. I once walked though it with bare feet. Jerry has PI tails, well in just about every aspect of what could happen, Jerry has done one better, except for my boss who used it as T.P.

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 04/24/2018 : 09:27:53
The worst case of poison ivy I ever had was from when I was helping to clear garlic mustard from the forest preserve about this time of year. I was pointing out the PI to other people but obviously missed some myself!
Jerry Posted - 04/23/2018 : 17:24:05
I found them. Thanks.

The shot of the two steroids mixed together to relieve inflammation in my bronchial tubes they gave me has had some adverse effects. Sweating profusely and very clammy. I had to stand in the shower with cold water running over me for several minutes to get to feeling some what better. Will not take that shot again. Stomach cramping, legs swollen, and hip is very painful. That stuff is very powerful. Better off when I use the steroid inhaler just for lungs and nebulizer. I don't need a whole body anti-inflammatory, just my air ways!
alevand Posted - 04/23/2018 : 16:41:17
I think I used 93372A345

I left sun up on the 4th of July, no traffic early through Chicago.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1o0&doc_id=14278&v=Dj

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/23/2018 : 15:38:59
Is the rivet you use the dual head two-piece rivets. The large heads grip soft materials without crushing them. A blind rivet tool is required for installation?

I have been studying these maps and reading journals about a tour around Lake Michigan. http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9615_11223-146053--,00.html

July and August seem to be the best for weather. This guy started the 1st of September.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=522058&v=3T

Wisconsin has printable county road maps here:
http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/travel/road/hwy-maps/county-maps/default.aspx
Some counties and cities can be contacted for their bike trails. I also have the latest edition of the Great River Road Trail.

alevand Posted - 04/23/2018 : 15:21:09
It doesnt show a poison oak leaf bud, just a little red bud.

You can use regular aluminum pop rivets with washers, but then its not a blind rivet. Its hard to get that washer on inside the fairing. I used the aluminum peel type rivet with steel mandrel. Mc Master-carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#peel-type-blind-rivets/=1cjijzs

Though the peel can scratch, washers are better where there is skin contact, or install with peel outside.

quote:

http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/information-sheets/identifying-poison-ivy

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/23/2018 : 14:33:13
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/information-sheets/identifying-poison-ivy
Jerry Posted - 04/23/2018 : 11:04:01
No usb charger. I did some reading and most agree the X-FD without the dyno would be better for a 451mm wheel. I just need the braking part. The brakes on the front of the Musashi is a joke. I changed brakes levers and tried Kool Stop pads. No stopping power.

What kind of pop rivets did you use on your bike? Did you use washers too? I like the look of the rivets compared to zip ties.
alevand Posted - 04/23/2018 : 09:35:53
I have a front hub dynamo, I haven't laced it to a rim yet. Its heavy. The old bottle ones are lighter. Does it have the usb charger built in?

The dyno hub weighs 1.5 lbs and the deore disk hub and generator weighs 1.25 lbs

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/23/2018 : 09:23:17
Yes, chronic Bronchitis and respiratory infection. Double steroid shot and antibiotic plus breathing treatment.

Seriously thinking abut putting a Sturmey-Archer X-FDD front Dynamo hub for the Musashi, and use the Musashi for touring. I will build a fairing around it too. I would have to make another narrow steering setup and get rid of the superman bars again.

I am buying the double down blankets from Costco and make a light weight sleeping bag or under quilt. I guess if I put a zipper in it, I could use it for both.
alevand Posted - 04/23/2018 : 06:08:08
Ok, Bronchitis I'm assuming. Take care.

I cut out the zipper on the sleeping bag, except for the last 2 feet, and sewed it back. Got rid of some bulk and weight. It would unzip at night, and I didnt use it. The bag is a little bigger inside, as there was a down filled flap to cover the zipper that is now part of the bag. I double stitched it.

I also cut 1.5 inches off the height of the tail, to reduce the effect of side gusts.

I test rode the new REI wool socks for 48 miles last night, for a total of 80. They seem to be fine.

Itching to get back on the road, well got a little PO in my shins. Leaves were just budding couldn't tell last camp. I guess it was.

I put dried apricots in the oven at low temp for a couple of hours, now there like candy and not wet to the touch.

I ran the old, original galaxy on the 2.5W 6V solar cell yesterday. It stayed at 100% until about 4:30 with the GPS on. The Kyocera didn't even register a charge. I suppose if I used two in series with a 5.5V zener, I could use it for navigation, if its not overcast.

The spandex foot hole covers are not holding up well after 600 miles, there are ripped and stretched, flap in the wind. I an going to sew in some tyvek to cover the chunks that are missing and add bungee cords to keep the tension.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/22/2018 : 20:53:07
Headed to doctor tomorrow morning.
alevand Posted - 04/22/2018 : 14:01:30
It was nice getting onto Weatherford rd, where dogs outnumber cars. I stopped had lunch on top for about an hour and not one car passed by.

Well, if you are feeling better by Wednesday or Thursday, it could be a possibility.

quote:

I don't know yet if it is just allergies or a cold I have. I am just lying on the sofa taking it easy drinking liquids and eating an orange or two. If I were feeling better I would consider riding through TN and on up through the Land Between the Lakes up to the Chain of Rocks bridge over to the Katy Trail. Unfortunately I am feeling lousy. My desire for the Natchez trace has been extinguished with the terrible traffic. It is either a bike route, or turn it into a freeway.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/21/2018 : 11:51:02
I don't know yet if it is just allergies or a cold I have. I am just lying on the sofa taking it easy drinking liquids and eating an orange or two. If I were feeling better I would consider riding through TN and on up through the Land Between the Lakes up to the Chain of Rocks bridge over to the Katy Trail. Unfortunately I am feeling lousy. My desire for the Natchez trace has been extinguished with the terrible traffic. It is either a bike route, or turn it into a freeway.
alevand Posted - 04/21/2018 : 09:00:31
QSL, Jerry. Considering getting a ride back to Tn on Sunday to continue. I needed a rest day, got 3.

WD0DMZ de AA9CC K

quote:

Alpha Alpha Niner Charlie Charlie, glad you made it home. I'll be riding a trike with fairing on my next adventure.

Kilo Delta Zero De-militarized Zone or Delta Mike Zebra

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/20/2018 : 21:02:54
Alpha Alpha Niner Charlie Charlie, glad you made it home. I'll be riding a trike with fairing on my next adventure.

Kilo Delta Zero De-militarized Zone or Delta Mike Zebra
alevand Posted - 04/20/2018 : 18:42:52
Sense of speed is much greater on swb bike. 25 mph seems fast. It climbs better than lwb, since it can go slower. I will be building a new lwb bike.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/20/2018 : 09:50:34
https://www.facebook.com/jerry.roberson.524 . I hope this link works. It is my account of Tony and mine ride on the Natchez Trace.
Jerry Posted - 04/19/2018 : 19:20:34
I just made it back home Warren. Tony is in northern TN headed home. I posted the trip and photos to my facebook page. Jerry Roberson. I am headed for bed!

My total riding was 103 miles Sunday, 100+ Monday, and 100+ Tuesday. That almost double smy year to date mileage.
warren Posted - 04/19/2018 : 15:38:57
Thanks for the update Jerry! I was wondering how the adventure was going.
Jerry Posted - 04/19/2018 : 10:31:22
I met Tony and his wife in Natchez, MS at the Days Inn. We spent the night and got up the next morning and took pictures and left for what would be a 103 mile 1st day adventure on the Natchez Trace parkway. I made it to the 150 mile MP before having to turn around and head back to Natchez with a couple of mechanical problems and one or two physical problems, like a broken tooth and a very tender Achilles Heal. More of the story and pictures to follow later.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000