www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Recumbent Touring
 Natchez Trace - Not

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alevand Posted - 08/28/2017 : 18:25:11
I am going to meet Jerry on the Natchez Trace in October. I don't have the details, not sure if I am riding from home, 1000 miles to Natchez or driving there and just ridding the trace for a few days. That's the plan anyway. I don't think the 26x26 bike would be ready so it would be the carp. I have two routes to Natchez, the flat route an the scenic route with lots of hills.

C:
Tony Levand
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alevand Posted - 10/23/2017 : 06:25:12
DC
Virginia
Maryland
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Indiana
Michigan
Indiana
Wisconsin
Illinois
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Missouri
Kansas
Iowa
Minnesota
California *
Alaska *

Germany *
Japan *

* Not Carp

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 10/22/2017 : 08:06:40
I need two drive idlers and two return idlers to get around the front tire and seat frame.

Seems like I was messing with this drive all day...and still, the return idler is where my knees wants to be.

Rode it down the street and back, raining. Steering is twitchy, I might cut and reweld the frame to get more head tube angle. I probably should have put the drive idler higher up and ran the return underneath. I see the merits of front wheel drive.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/21/2017 : 21:03:33
I thought I was pretty well healed up from my accident, but I guess I over did it some. My right ankle and foot is very swollen. I will take it easy until I get moved. I did get some work done on the corovelo. I have 3 brand new tires on it. The rear was a real pain! I made a new hood and completely enclosed the corovelo. Took it all off, including the spandex over the wheel wells. It is a little slower now, but a lot cooler. If it ever cools off, I'll think about closing it up again. I bought white spandex for when I enclose the wheel wells again. I will make new steering bars when I get moved and settled in my new house. Hard to work out in this crazy wind and rock drive.
alevand Posted - 10/21/2017 : 16:37:40
I lowered the Vision seat 4 more inches., I guess you can still call it that, changed the rear triangle to accept a 700c wheel. I coasted down the block so far. The BB turned out 1 inch lower, 16 inces, than I wanted, which also makes the head tube almost vertical. I think because the rear tire was flat when I welded it up.

Welder is welding better than ever. The old gun had a teflon liner that didn't let the gas through.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 10/19/2017 : 12:57:16
Yes my old helmet was from Harbor Freight, the red one, its the first thing I bought there, so I got a discount and it was on sale for $39. Menards has a helmet for $35 with rebate.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools-accessories/welding-soldering-equipment-accessories/performax-reg-variable-auto-darkening-welding-helmet/p-1444424129938-c-10163.htm?tid=7323134683633595235&ipos=2

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/19/2017 : 07:27:37
I swapped out the 37mm x 406 Michelin City tires on the front of my corovelo for Schwalbe Marathon 40mm x 406 tires. Wow, what a difference. No more shaking and vibrating as if it was going to explode. Anything above 15 mph was bad with the Michelin's, and above 25 it was hard to keep on the ground and road. It just glides along now, and it is faster. I'll put the Schwalbe Marathon Plus on the rear today. I'll be glad when I can take it on a tour. I rode the corovelo 4 miles on loose 1"-2" gravel road last night. Who knew it would perform so well. Now I can explore places here I haven't been able to because of the rough gravel roads. The 40mm Marathon's just soak up bumps and float over the gravel. Add the rear Marathon Plus, and it will be even better. Who said large diameter, puncture proof tires are slow?
Jerry Posted - 10/18/2017 : 22:01:40
#61611 @ $44.99. Auto darkening and solar charged.
Speedbiker Posted - 10/18/2017 : 20:43:30
Harbor Freight, $39. Work great.
alevand Posted - 10/18/2017 : 18:15:07
Got the welder spooling. Need a new helmet.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/17/2017 : 10:39:00
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Jerry, who is the young leg model you hired for that video? Ha ha.

My wife!
I did not realize I had left the angle of my GoPro to that of riding my Baron until after the fact. Can't really see too much.
alevand Posted - 10/16/2017 : 20:48:18
I ordered a thread adapter 1/4 NPT to 14-1.5 ISO from Mc master-carr. I may change out the Marathon 26x1.5 in back to a Panaracer tire.
C:
Tony Levand
Speedbiker Posted - 10/16/2017 : 17:10:40
Jerry, who is the young leg model you hired for that video? Ha ha.
alevand Posted - 10/16/2017 : 13:36:06
Bought the mig gun with the wrong end. I either have to get a different one or and adapter from NPT to ISO. Nice weather this week, compared to the deluge over the weekend. Maybe I
ll have a bike going by the time Jerry is settled in.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/13/2017 : 17:40:31
A short shake down ride after the new changes to my corovelo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc3yZgkrOlU&feature=youtu.be

My camera died and my GoPro battery bit the dust. Maybe I can get a couple of pictures off my phone later.
Jerry Posted - 10/13/2017 : 12:28:29
I finished the revision on my corovelo yesterday. Now I need to make a new hood with side windows and windshield. I'll wait on that for a few days when the temps drop below 90 degrees again. Still need to make more storage room. Maybe take the corovelo for a 2-3 day shake down tour after getting moved into my new house and get settled in. That would be end of November or sometime in December.
Jerry Posted - 10/11/2017 : 19:53:13
I am going to start on the 5th revision of my corovelo soon. There is still too much wind hitting my body, so I am re-doing the top deck and the two sides pieces that attach to the top deck. Making removable coro and petg doors. Need to open up the trunk area and build more storage for camping gear, and make it easier to get into trunk. Also adding some storage in the nose of fairing. My wrist, elbow, and groin are better, the ankle still very sore. I wrapped the ankle with tape and an ace bandage and was able to ride the corovelo for a short time.
alevand Posted - 10/10/2017 : 17:37:05
I received the new tent, tire pump and down jacket. New MIG gun due to arrive oct 17.

I left the tent setup outside in the rain last night and there is 1/4 in of water inside.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/06/2017 : 21:24:33
When I go back to MO to move all my stuff down to TX, I will bring the Rans Velocity Square with me. I plan to modify it and build a coroliner out of it. After reading Speedy's post to the the young man wanting to build a streamliner about the wheels being all the way to the front and back of the fairing, the Rans should work out great. It will not be a Coyote, but it should be a good touring and cruising liner. I love the window foot door. Being able to put your leg or hand out sure makes it easier to start and stop. I hate slits and bomb bay doors because I am old and not as limber as I once was. I would like to get it down here and get it done so I can take it on the Natchez Trace before winter is over. I have given up on trying to ride the Baron as a coroliner. I am too darn big and it is a handful in traffic and wind.
Jerry Posted - 10/06/2017 : 12:19:54
I have been following that link. If they only knew how much better they would feel riding recumbents. A couple of trikes would be the perfect ride for these two adventurous people. Good for them. Once I get healed up and get moved, I am riding the Trace. I don't care if I have to go ride 1/2 day out and 1/2 day back to the van, then drive to the next days starting point.
alevand Posted - 10/06/2017 : 08:55:56
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1o0&page_id=526067&v=1A

Received the new Wellgo W41 pedals, .6 lbs for both, without cleat. These are solid cr-mo steel, lighter than aluminum spd pedals and have full complement ball bearings.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/06/2017 : 07:51:44
The people accepted our offer on the house. I think I will need all 3 weeks to heal up before the closing date. It will be nice to be living in a house again!

Looks like rain and high winds next week in MS, AL, and TN. Not my favorite kind of cycling and camping weather. Doesn't really matter, I will not be riding for a couple or three weeks anyway.
alevand Posted - 10/06/2017 : 05:42:50
Ive ordered an new down jacket, 451 tire, pump, swiss army knife, tent, this one is longer but shorter. I am thinking of making a tent that is supported by the bike ,thereby saving 1.4 lbs of tent polls. I ordered a new air pad, short size, saves .5 lbs weight. No progress on bike yesterday, cleaning garage.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 10/05/2017 : 16:56:53
Well, it looks hurricane weather next week anyway...

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/05/2017 : 09:13:38
I am just glad Tony's house didn't burn down and no one was injured. As for me, I have had a run of luck, all bad! Ha. We both will be back to par soon.
warren Posted - 10/05/2017 : 08:06:46
Wow, sorry to hear that the Carp is gone! You are lucky that you didn't lose your whole garage. It's amazing that the coroplast burned hot enough to melt the aluminum without catching anything else on fire. Now you will have to build something new. Phoenix. I get it now...

And Jerry - take care of yourself, man! I think you need some daily wear body armor.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000