www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Recumbent Touring
 Natchez Trace - Not

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alevand Posted - 08/28/2017 : 18:25:11
I am going to meet Jerry on the Natchez Trace in October. I don't have the details, not sure if I am riding from home, 1000 miles to Natchez or driving there and just ridding the trace for a few days. That's the plan anyway. I don't think the 26x26 bike would be ready so it would be the carp. I have two routes to Natchez, the flat route an the scenic route with lots of hills.

C:
Tony Levand
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alevand Posted - 01/22/2018 : 18:42:28
Almost there, I have a ten mil error on some tooth locations. I need to iterate one more time.

Got it. 66 teeth, .003 error:

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 01/21/2018 : 15:13:18
I put on the shortened crank arms I made for the MBB-VPS, 5 inch long, 1 inch shorter, and most of my problems went away, heal doesn't hit derailleur, crank arm doesn't hit tire or fender, I can spin faster and my knees are lower.I like the Biopace ring. Im thinking of making a custom narrow BB and lowering it 1/2 inch. That will give me better vision over the nose. No progress on the 73 tooth chain wheel, I cant get even increments around the circumference. I am summing up 1 degree lengths, whet its over .5 inch long it interpolates the last position back to .5. I expect a small error from not being a straight line from point to point, but the errors are bigger, and I don't see my mistake. Though I could probably use a 65 tooth with the short cranks. I was able to import the spread sheet points into 2D LibreCad.

Got up to 30 mph in front of my house, seemed OK. After I finish the chain ring, I'll put the nose back on.

...Well, I guessed values until the distances between points was .5 inch. I did half, thinking I could rotate the other half, but I made a odd number of teeth... oops, Now I have to reguess all the teeth adding a tooth. I need a closed form.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 01/16/2018 : 19:59:44
I made a spread sheet to calculate a Biopace like chain ring contour. I have the shape at the pitch diameter, but need to integrate along the pitch circumference to get x,y points at every chain tooth. Then I can plot it full size after importing to cad.

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 01/14/2018 : 21:34:53
Wow, it's a lowracer now!
alevand Posted - 01/14/2018 : 11:47:04
I got the back wheel fender and skirts sealed up, now the front...I routed the rear brake cable inside the frame tube. I can put stuff there and no worry that its pushing on the cable.

... still needs some work, had to cut the front off, no pedal clearance. The loose tyvek gets glued to the fairing to seal.I use aluminum peal type pop rivets to joint the chloroplast as well as cable ties. Note the camping pad in the seat and studded tire behind.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 01/12/2018 : 20:38:58
The upgrades are turning into major rework. I should have the frame done by tomorrow.

... Well I lowered the seat 4 inches and the BB 2.5 inches, wheel base is 3 inches longer. Took it down the block and back. I don't know if it was such a good idea for a touring bike. Heal is hitting the derailleur again. I need to lengthen the chain, an put the back brake on. I can now put the back wheel on without having to let the air out. After I fix these things I'll start sealing up the front wheel.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 01/11/2018 : 14:59:20
The bike with fairing weighs 39 lbs, the front fairing weighs 5 lbs and the back half 3 lbs. Its 10 lbs lighter than the old Carp. I am doing some upgrades and then seal the front wheel and reinstall the fairing.

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 01/11/2018 : 12:21:10
You just need a wheel fairing, or at least a full fender to fix that.
alevand Posted - 01/11/2018 : 11:41:34
Having a January thaw today, 57 and rain. Thought Id take advantage of the nice weather and ride bike, since all the snow melted, cold returns tomorrow. Well, the deficiency of SWB with a tire between your legs became immediately obvious when it first touched wet driveway. Shorts are wet, shoes are wet, water draining off the cassette, cold air blowing in from the wheel opening. Only rode a block. The front wheel needs to be completely sealed off. This weather would be no problem in the Carp. Maybe Im barking up the wrong tree with this SWB FWD stuff and should just build a simple LWB bike again.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 01/01/2018 : 14:52:28
Ordered this https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Steel-Bicycle-Bike-Cargo-luggage-Trailer-One-Wheel-Cart-Carrier-For-Shopping/290922474442?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D2d2b7f04844a46f29ca3601d922f4448%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D252435816229&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 . I will probably weld it up instead of bolting it together. Pull behind the Baron, Musashi, or corovelo.

It is ordered.
Jerry Posted - 01/01/2018 : 09:34:12
The new nose cones are suppose to be delivered today. Yeah!

Duh! Tomorrow.
Jerry Posted - 12/27/2017 : 19:03:00
I think the Milan is his favorite. He took off in the Milan one day and rode about 260 miles to Austin. I don't remember the details, but, I think he did it in less than 9 hours!

I was wrong about the time. He averaged 19.6 mph in the Milan for 255 miles to Austin.
alevand Posted - 12/27/2017 : 18:00:19
Whats his favorite?

Well, it got up to 8 degrees today! Cold weather for at least another week, suppose to warm up enough tonight to snow tomorrow, 15.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 12/27/2017 : 17:44:20
I know a guy down this way that I have ridden with who owns 2017 Quattrovelo #30, 2017 DFXL #133, a 2015 Milan GT, and a Mango Sports Edition. He takes his teenage daughter with him when he rides the Quattrovelo. He also owns a 2000 Rotator Super 7 Streamliner, 2003 Rotator Coyote Streamliner, and about 9 other recumbents. Nice guy. He did a Pactour tour this year in his Milan GT. I was tempted to buy a Quest velomobile yesterday! I decided to keep refining my corovelo instead. When I get well enough and the weather is nicer, I am going to make several changes to my corovelo. New nose cone, re-do the rear end to be removable, and build more storage in the rear. A few other things here and there like maybe making the front end that tilts up and/or removable. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks of this bug!
alevand Posted - 12/27/2017 : 12:04:53
This QV has lots of stowage:

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Thinking of making an axle like I used on my catamaran sailboat to use under a camping cot. Take the axle out from under cot at camping spot. Either use a tent, tarp, or coroplast over the cot. I could haul all my gear on the cot/trailer. When I get over, if ever, this bug, I will experiment with this idea. I really like putting all my supplies and gear on a trailer. Just works better for me. 100 pounds on a trailer is easier than 35 pounds on my bike. Plus, I seem not to lose stuff as often when I use a trailer. Use the hammock when warmer, cot when cooler. Sometimes though, I just can't sleep in a hammock.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 12/25/2017 : 07:04:09
A friend of my mother got bitten by a Brown Recluse about 10 years ago on his foot. He had a lot of trouble with it. If I remember correctly, he had a place about the size of a half tennis ball turn black and kind of rotted off. He has a pretty large size depression now. The doctors told him he got medical help too late as he waited about a week before seeking medical help. I hope yours turns out better.
alevand Posted - 12/25/2017 : 06:56:31
The tip of my toe is sore again, the toe next to the one last time, and I know my feet didn't get cold. It feels like a splinter, but on close inspection there are two tiny marks, fangs, a spider must have been lurking in my winter socks, not worn since last season, and bit the tip of my toe. Brown recluse are prolific around here.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 12/24/2017 : 09:56:14
I exchanged the tube for a 29 x 1.9-2.3 It fills the tire nicely. Don't buy tubes from REI, they are in a unmarked box, but the tube inside is Kenda brand. My experience with Kenda tubes is they are permeable and leak down, have to be pumped up weekly. Getting snow today, 3-4 inches so no test riding. Did some 4 wheeling after skidding off the I88 exit ramp.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 12/23/2017 : 21:14:49
I think that would be a wise move Tony. The low will range from 19-37 for Nashville, and 20's-40's Natchez.

alevand Posted - 12/23/2017 : 12:43:36
Well, for the topic of LWB vs SWB coroliners, LWB wins in being warmer. The front wheel can be sealed up, except for a small hole for the steering linkage. SWB always has a big (2 inch wide, 80 sq in) holes for steering the front wheel. Rode half hour today, 32F, 16 mph wind. Feet were warm, shoulder cold. I ran over the cat with the back wheel, he was under the bike as I started in the driveway, A big bump, I thought something was wrong with the bike, until I saw him run out. He seems OK, just a little miffed. I put a new Tyvek cover on the helmet and painted it florescent orange, then a coat of florescent yellow, and then clear coat. The plane orange dint look bright in the sun, now its brighter orange.

... The back tire was flat this afternoon, nothing obvious, it was on the rim side. I went to REI and got a new tube, thinking the one I have was mis-labeled 35-43 because it was the exact same width as my 28-32 inner tube. Well its the same width too, 35-43 and too small, as it only fills about half the tire before it starts stretching. Weird feeling. I'll have to try the 29 x 1.9-2.5 size, next time. I put some minwax on the sidewalls, trying to make them less sticky.

The wife wants to drop me off in Natchez and go tour New Orleans, as I ride north on the trace, then pick me up on the way home. This would give me a head wind the whole way, rain and snow mixed and freezing rain likely on Wednesday and night and a chance of rain on Thursday, 30% chance of snow on Friday, mostly sunny on Saturday, high 42 south, 34 north.

Its crappy weather forcast.

I think I'll call in off.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 12/22/2017 : 15:31:23
I made front fabric wheel covers from black polyester Halloween fabric. I should have ironed it first, as the wrinkles are still there. I used 1/8 fiberglass rod from my "covered wagon" bivy tent made from a tarp. The rods are a little too stiff, I think 1/4 OD Pex tubing would work better, and would bring the cover out closer to the rim edge. The rods are from Mc Master Carr. I cut circle using a tire as a guide, then I cut flaps, hotmelt glued them with 3 dabs with a string inside and sewed them up. Maybe using more glue would negate the needd for sewing. A 3/16 brake line was perfect for joining the rod into a hoop. I gave the disks a good coat of clear enamel and made 8 clips from the licence plate.

I also hotmelt glued the black glitter striped spanedex over the hole were the hinge broke, folding itover on the inboard edge. I will do the other side and maybe the front triangle cutouts too. Then it should be fairly well sealed up.

Need to test ride.

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 12/22/2017 : 11:07:31
The packing tape should lay flatter and won't wrinkle up up and get funky in the sun, and you can use it to tape the nose cone onto the Coroplast.
alevand Posted - 12/22/2017 : 09:54:26
Hi Warren, I have the 2 in foam boards and spray adhesive. Is packaging tape better in rain than duct tape?

Getting it patched together:

...A lot of cold air comes in through the bay door. Coroplast gets brittle when cold, the plastic hinge broke when my foot got stuck getting out. A front wheel cover would block some of the opening.

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 12/22/2017 : 08:54:05
Tony - OR
4x8 sheet of the 2" polystyrene foam is under $20.
You can use the super 77 spray from home depot to glue layers together into a block
Use a large course file to shape it
Cover it in packing tape.
Jerry Posted - 12/22/2017 : 07:02:10
Yeah, but it would be hard to grow a lemon tree in the nose cone as I am doing in the pot! The tree is about 3 1/2' tall now.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000