www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 General Topics
 My little corovelo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jerry Posted - 10/23/2017 : 18:41:17
It might not look very professional, but it is kind of fast! That is 265+ pounds from a stop to 31.4 mph in 200 meters. https://youtu.be/PmKAtrxMPr0 . It is also the most fun ride I have. It climbs steep hills with ease. If I get tired, I just lock the brakes and take a break. Plenty of room for storage. And best of all, it is cheap to make and easy to repair. I took the spandex off the wheel wells because of the heat in Texas. I will put them back on when it cools off, which might be in a couple of days. Mid 80's today, high in the 50's Wednesday. Back into the 80's Friday.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jerry Posted - 10/27/2017 : 06:22:58
I saw this video and think this is the way I am going on wheel disc. Looks pretty good to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6lbIKrINcg

I would only put the disc on the outside of my front wheels, and both sides on the rear. Luckily I have no rim brakes!
alevand Posted - 10/26/2017 : 13:33:26
I used fishing tape, used to pull cables through conduit. At the time American Science and surplus sold lengths reasonably, the fiberglass is less that 1/8 or so diameter encased in yellow plastic. The clips are simple to make.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/26/2017 : 05:45:53
quote:
Originally posted by JMvD

quote:
Originally posted by alevand

I make the clips using an old licence plate, and tin snips, and they are reflective. Cut strips long enough to bend into a U shape to capture the fiberglass rod.

I put a coat of back spray paint on to dope the fabric.

To install just flex the fiber glass rod and slip the clip through, squeeze to make it tight agenst the spokes.

C:
Tony Levand

In stead of making clips, you can also easily order them at velomobiel.nl. They sell wheel covers but also the different parts like clips.

Kind regards,

JM

Thanks guys, I like easy and new ideas. Tony do you use the orange fiberglass rods from the box stores?
JMvD Posted - 10/26/2017 : 01:21:19
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

I make the clips using an old licence plate, and tin snips, and they are reflective. Cut strips long enough to bend into a U shape to capture the fiberglass rod.

To install just flex the fiber glass rod and slip the clip through, squeeze to make it tight agenst the spokes.

C:
Tony Levand

In stead of making clips, you can also easily order them at velomobiel.nl. They sell wheel covers but also the different parts like clips.

Kind regards,

JM
Jerry Posted - 10/25/2017 : 22:04:05
I have been giving it more thought Tony, and wheel discs probably would make sense. I have some somewhere between here and storage in MO. One is CF from Lightning Dynamics. It is very thin and light weight. I have a couple more made from some kind of plastic. I will dig them out when I go to MO to move my stuff to the new house. We closed at 5 pm today, and I ripped up all the carpet and pads until 8:30, then drove the 50 miles home. I am pooped! Just got a shower and have to be back over there at 7 am.
Jerry Posted - 10/25/2017 : 12:41:01
With the spandex over the opening for the wheels, I don't think I need wheel disc. I didn't have time to attach the white spandex this morning though. I have been busy packing things up to start moving into the new house this evening after closing. I am taking all my coroplast, pvc, 2 bikes, tools, and other things to put in the garage. I'll keep the corovelo at RV until we get everything moved in about 2 weeks.
alevand Posted - 10/25/2017 : 08:06:28
Your making improvements, looking good.

http://recumbents.com/wisil/wheeldisk/wheeldisk.htm#Building instructions

I cut out a black Halloween polyester fabric circle bigger than the wheel, fold the edge over and sew up the tunnel. I fish a string through the tunnel. I make a hoop out of fiberglass rod, plastic coated fishing tape and join the end by crimping on small length of metal tube. I put the fabric over the hoop, tighten and tie the string. Now its like a taught drum. I make two, one on each side of the wheel, though for a velo, one cover may do with two hoops.

Notice the gap between the rim and cover, these were made for an aero rim. You can see where the chain was wearing it through at the spokes after many miles.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 10/24/2017 : 20:53:44
Thanks Thom. It will look a lot better when I get rid of the tape and zip ties. It has been fun figuring out what works and what doesn't. I would love to narrow it down, but unfortunately, the front wheels are over 32" wide. I was going to build new steering bars to be able to use wheel wells, but the spandex works amazingly well over the wheels. I am going to attach the new white spandex tomorrow morning.

The one thing that really surprised me was that raising and widening the top deck made it way more aero. I also know now I need to narrow the turtle deck and lower it another inch or so. I will cut the turtle deck off just above the seat, and make it re-moveable. That will make it easier to get to the storage area and changing the rear tire. Maybe I can get it done before I get too old...er...older!
Speedbiker Posted - 10/24/2017 : 17:52:26
Nice Jerry. That's the best coroplast build I've seen on this forum in decades.
Jerry Posted - 10/24/2017 : 14:44:29
Thanks guys. Here is a short video of a walk around. https://youtu.be/KXbYkYbSSX0
Grant-53 Posted - 10/24/2017 : 13:41:47
Great work Jerry.
carolina Posted - 10/24/2017 : 09:24:00
Nice jerry!

velosRus.com
Speedbiker Posted - 10/23/2017 : 22:57:53
I'd put Jerry's torque up against anyone's. Jerry, do a walk-around.
Jerry Posted - 10/23/2017 : 21:38:19
Thanks Mr. Hill!
alevand Posted - 10/23/2017 : 21:07:51

C:
Tony Levand
Garrie L Hill Posted - 10/23/2017 : 19:30:51
Remove the period from the end of your URL string.

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000