www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 Fairing modification advise needed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jeroen Schasfoort Posted - 11/16/2017 : 13:28:59
I am building a velomobile with Aero ply. I am currently at work on the nose area. I could not get the plywood in the desired shape and got an incredibly cheap nosecone of a alleweder a8. Its the black thing in these foto's http://www.ligfiets.net/news/4082/nieuwe-foto-s-van-de-alleweder-a8.html

It does kind of fit the velomobileshape I designed myself. The dimple is exactly as deep, the upper 3/4 of the shape is close enough that i can get it to fit. The lowest 1/4 needs to spread a bit wider, about an inch wider each side and a bit more than an inch lower for the bottom.

I basicaly see two options, 1 is to copy the underside in a left, middle and right section creating enough overlap. Then join the 3 pieces in the desired shape. Option 2 would be to saw a few cuts in the nose and bending the pieces out creating some pie cuts. Then i would have to join the pieces.

The nosecone has a black gel coat finish and smells like polyesterresin. Its an aramid laminat 2 mm thick. I never sawed or cut aramidlaminate. Is it as horrible as told?

I need advise,

Greetings, Jeroen

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carolina Posted - 11/21/2017 : 11:18:12
I recently cut a waw rear cowling, white gel coat/kevlar. Cut like a dream with the speed wheel disc like said above. Unless your in a freezer the polyester resin would work. Carve out and sand balsa and cover with cf or fg inside and out. Make your flange.

I just put lil micro on my wheel pant in hangar, prob 30 at night. And that was epoxy resin. Hard as a wedding dick.

velosRus.com
Speedbiker Posted - 11/21/2017 : 10:07:50
I'm amused that someone with the amazing patience to build a beautiful wood strip velo does want to take the time to carve a nose. With his skills I'd think finish work would be minimal. Heck, carve it from balsa and your shell would be all wood!
Jerry Posted - 11/21/2017 : 07:45:29
For a simple and maybe temporary fix, you could cut a pie shape wedge out of the bottom, and use plastic, aluminum, plywood, coroplast, or whatever is handy, and attach it to the bottom. Paint it a matching color. When it gets warm enough you could then make a permanent fix using your epoxy. When it is cold and nasty outside, especially with snow and/or ice, who cares if it matches exactly, as long as you can ride it in comfort. Make the permanent fix when it warms up. Good luck and happy riding.

Jerry
Terry Posted - 11/20/2017 : 15:06:03
quote:
Originally posted by jeroen Schasfoort

I was hoping to avoid the foam carving, bondo and sanding (repeat)mess. I have done carbon recumbent frames that way, but never a fairing. Well its to cold in the garage for the epoxy anyway. Perhaps i get another idea. Or use a combination of methods.

Can you modify the aero ply shell that you have to better fit the nose?
Oops, I retread your first post and see you can't.
In that case, all I can see is cutting the nose cone and fill in the spaces as best you can.
Use pieces of your thin ply and polyester resin.
Good luck!
warren Posted - 11/19/2017 : 13:33:47
You could carve the foam nose, cover it in several layers of packing tape, and spray paint it. Not super pretty but great for absorbing front end impacts!
jeroen Schasfoort Posted - 11/19/2017 : 13:05:22
I was hoping to avoid the foam carving, bondo and sanding (repeat)mess. I have done carbon recumbent frames that way, but never a fairing. Well its to cold in the garage for the epoxy anyway. Perhaps i get another idea. Or use a combination of methods.

Terry Posted - 11/16/2017 : 22:20:44
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Idea: carve the nose you want from polystyrene foam, then cover with epoxy and fiberglass. Add filler and paint. Easy and just the shape you want.

I agree,
That is the best way!
Speedbiker Posted - 11/16/2017 : 16:56:27
Aramid is Kevlar. Super good or special shears are needed when it is cloth. When it is a composite with polyesters I would cut it with a thin, high rpm abrasive cutter. Expanding it with pie cuts will probably work, but will take a lot of work to make look nice.
Idea: carve the nose you want from polystyrene foam, then cover with epoxy and fiberglass. Add filler and paint. Easy and just the shape you want.
warren Posted - 11/16/2017 : 15:43:57
I'd just wear a dust mask and cut it outside. Polyester resin is stinky.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000