www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 Chain idler?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
legokangpalla Posted - 11/28/2017 : 20:07:47
Hi, my fancy new frame just arrived and I took it to the bike shop to have the steer tube installed.

I was installing the chainset and realized I forgot something important, a chain idler.

The bike frame is similar to a Bachetta style recumbent with an 8mm tube for an idler in the center of the frame. Like this:

So I've been looking up bunch of chain idlers and it's confusing the heck out of me.

1. Smooth flanged type idler vs tooth idler. There seems to be two type of idlers in general, the metal ones with tooth and plastic ones with just flanges. I'm guessing the toothed idlers provide lower friction?

2. What kind of idler do I need to have a setup similar to the one in the picture above? I think someone described it as center axle mount. Do I need something like this(over-under idler)?
http://t-cycle.com/idlers-chain-management-c-41/idler-kits-c-41_42/bacchetta-c-41_42_43/bacchetta-idler-kit-p-144.html
Or can I get away with this(or something similar)
http://t-cycle.com/idlers-chain-management-c-41/idlers-c-41_9/elite-power-15-tooth-idler-p-139.html

Thanks gents! I think I will have some pretty photos next time.

Hi!
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
warren Posted - 11/29/2017 : 09:43:47
The larger idler would be more efficient but you do need to also manage the return chain, so the bacchetta idler kit would probably work better for you.
Speedbiker Posted - 11/29/2017 : 00:31:02
Hey John, email Terra Cycle and ask for advice. They have kits for most models, and also various grade (price) sprocket idlers. Good luck.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000