www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Recumbent Touring
 Natchez Trace - Not

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alevand Posted - 08/28/2017 : 18:25:11
I am going to meet Jerry on the Natchez Trace in October. I don't have the details, not sure if I am riding from home, 1000 miles to Natchez or driving there and just ridding the trace for a few days. That's the plan anyway. I don't think the 26x26 bike would be ready so it would be the carp. I have two routes to Natchez, the flat route an the scenic route with lots of hills.

C:
Tony Levand
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alevand Posted - 05/13/2018 : 09:46:26
I had the valve opening hole on the drive side of the wheel cover. The derailleur snagged in the hole and then caught a spoke. I sewed a patch over the hole and put it on the other side.

Wheel is trued. Covers back on, wheel back on.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 05/10/2018 : 06:21:32
Received the new Altus derailleur. Hanger is bent, will straighten and install. Check spokes and true wheel. Will recline the seat an inch or inch and a half, more and Id have to lengthen the frame. Had painful recumbent butt for several days on tour.

... I got a M10-1 grade 8 nut from auto parts store, ground down the thickness and added a slot. Welded it onto the fork.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 05/09/2018 : 20:27:50
Build a lwb touring bike with no fairing. I might take the fairing off the trike for this tour. Or put a couple of NACA vents and my fan inside the fairing. Of course the wife wants me to do a tour of the coast, either TX or FL, so she can go and shop, sight see, and walk on the beach. She would sag for me. Meet me for lunch and dinner.
alevand Posted - 05/09/2018 : 19:52:36
Too hot in Tx for me.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 05/09/2018 : 16:45:27
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

The Natchez Trace was built for cars and RVs. Its better than route 66! Its obvious that the people in charge have no clue about cycling.

C:
Tony Levand

People in charge really don't know or care about cycling, especially Barney Fife who told us to get on the bicycle trail. You really can't ride much of route 66. Most of it is now I-44 outer roads or county roads In MO, and it is way to hilly and the traffic is crazy there.

I think I will try this ride in the fall, https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=20689&v=An . The start of this tour is about 80-85 miles from my house. I think I would swing by San Antonio and Austin, then over to College Station. Nothing is written in stone, so options are always available.
alevand Posted - 05/09/2018 : 10:04:12
The Natchez Trace was built for cars and RVs. Its better than route 66! Its obvious that the people in charge have no clue about cycling.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 05/09/2018 : 07:28:02
Glad you made it home. I don't know about you, but the Natchez was a big disappointment to me. If they are going to call it a bicycle route, keep the locals off acting like it is an interstate highway, have food and water readily available. They should also have either shoulders or bike trails into towns. Also connect the bike trail that you can see, but can't get on, to the Trace. It is only 50 feet away. In less than an hour with a chain saw and rake would be all you would need.

The last day headed back to Natchez I was bombarded by small white flies. Also all the places to get water were closed with no warning and the water shut off. I will stick to regular roads and trails from now on. At least you can find food and water.
alevand Posted - 05/08/2018 : 16:15:29
Made it home with only a small mishap with the derailleur. So ends the saga of the Natchez Trace...

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 05/05/2018 : 20:50:58
Last position on aprs.fl was on 04/29/2018 Metropolis, IL. Must have your cell on airplane mode again.

Tony camped at Eldorado, IL.
alevand Posted - 05/04/2018 : 21:38:20
Bike is in the van, leaving in the morning.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 05/03/2018 : 15:44:20
Severe storms just rolled through here. More to come tonight and tomorrow.

My chain doesn't squeak anymore since I lubed it. Took re-lubing to break up the old wax. Wax works, but not enough to keep using it. The wax might save a watt or two, but not worth the trouble to me. Wax doesn't last as long either.
alevand Posted - 05/03/2018 : 08:36:46
2L water bottle is in the nose. The worn out chain had less friction, backpedaling..

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Looks more streamlined Tony. Maybe get some stick down lead tape to put on the front top to add some weight to the front end. Then when you hit a big bump, you will only go into low orbit! Ha I guess I am use to the swb. The lwb always gave me recumbent butt after 10-15 miles.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 05/03/2018 : 07:45:10
Looks more streamlined Tony. Maybe get some stick down lead tape to put on the front top to add some weight to the front end. Then when you hit a big bump, you will only go into low orbit! Ha I guess I am use to the swb. The lwb always gave me recumbent butt after 10-15 miles.
alevand Posted - 05/02/2018 : 16:02:04
Well raising the BB and the fairing and inch,smoothing the bottom, new chain and 80 psi in the tires helped. I rode 52 miles loopon the trail and averaged 20 mph, that includes walking the bike 1/4 mile through the back yard and dropping the cell phone 3 times. Still its a few mph slower than the carp. Side gusts don't seem to affect it more with the raised BB, it might be a little better.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/22680672

I will start back home on Saturday, as my dad in law has a doctor appointment Friday afternoon.

it sounded like I has a loose spoke, so I tightened them.

Something is clicking in the BB don't know what.

new old

It feels like some day I will be launched into orbit with this SWB front wheel hitting a big bump. LWB no such worry. MWB would be ideal, though drive would be complicated for a low BB.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 05/01/2018 : 13:16:29
I welded up a new boom of steel to replace the cracked aluminum, feels much stiffer, replaced the worn chain, 6% stretch, aired up tires to 80 psi, raised the BB one inch and am remounting the fairing. It should have more ground clearance and less frontal area. I could sense the down force on the front at 35-40 mph. Going to continue home riding on Saturday from Metropolis, since Wednesday thru Friday are 90% T-storms and rain. I will leave the down jacket home, since the lows are forecast to be in the high 50s. I may try the non-insulated short Staic-V mat out to see if its good.

Cracked aluminum boom around the BB, can you say wobbly pedals?

Initial test riding is positive, though its hard to tell with these sustained 22 mph winds. It was warmer in Chicago than Dallas today.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/27/2018 : 19:38:39
Be careful and have fun Tony. Wish I were there.
alevand Posted - 04/27/2018 : 19:17:59
In TN. Start in the morning.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/26/2018 : 15:47:27
I wish I could join you and do some more riding. I have to learn to travel lighter.

I could imagine the uprights that guy outruns. I bet the whole kindergarten class is still nervous. Lol.
alevand Posted - 04/26/2018 : 14:13:32
He wanted to race you because he was faster than all the upright riders, but was concerned that you were a stronger rider, but them he moved to Mo from Tx.. I told him not to worry, that you get tired after about half a day.

My ride meets me here at 10:30 tomorrow. I expect to get to TN by around 5:30 PM, Friday rush hour. Not sure if I'll ride 30 miles or so and wild camp in LBL or start out Saturday morning. Bike is packed up except for water, that would leak out when on its side. Im bringing more food and less stuff.

https://landbetweenthelakes.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/LblRecMapNorth2016.pdf

[urlhttps://landbetweenthelakes.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/LblRecMapSouth2016.pdf
Jerry Posted - 04/26/2018 : 13:12:08

And a larger gear combo than 38 x 16, unless he can spin about 3,000 rpm! Ha

quote:

I told him he needed a windshield and top if he wanted to do 40 mph, he gave me some mumbo jumbo about an attached vortex, Ha.

I am packing up the bike.

I am not bringing:

Tyvek bivy
Back flushing syringe for water filter
2 pair cotton socks.
second balaclava
larger flashlight
Maybe towel, I haven't used it yet.

I am adding:

camp light
one pair wool socks
chain tool.
smaller flashlight.

C:
Tony Levand

alevand Posted - 04/26/2018 : 12:40:41
I told him he needed a windshield and top if he wanted to do 40 mph, he gave me some mumbo jumbo about an attached vortex, Ha.

I am packing up the bike.

I am not bringing:

Tyvek bivy
Back flushing syringe for water filter
2 pair cotton socks.
second balaclava
larger flashlight
Maybe towel, I haven't used it yet.

I am adding:

camp light
one pair wool socks
chain tool.
smaller flashlight.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/26/2018 : 08:05:54
That is The Toecutter from BROL. His story is here
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=135797 . Enjoy and come to your own conclusion!

quote:

Getting a ride back to Tn Tomorrow.

Had a PM on ecomodder:

quote:

The man who filmed this video was going to come down to TX some time before I left and pay me a visit so we could ride our HPVs together, but for some reason or another he never responded to me on the bentrider forums. I thought something had happened but was relieved to find he had videos posted from just a few days ago.

Supposedly he's coming up to Missouri this summer and we'll get another chance to meet. I want to ride with this dude because he's very strong and most cyclists simply can't keep up with me. This one may be much stronger than me, which would make racing him all the more fun.

I've always found both his corovelo and your carp to be highly interesting vehicles. No existing car can match their efficiency.

I almost rode my coroplast fared trike back to Missouri from Texas but at the last minute found a company that could ship it back for a reasonable cost(< $500), when the main motivation for the trip was to avoid paying upwards of the cost to build my bike to ship it home(I was quoted between $1400 and 2200 to ship it from other companies, when it cost about $2500 to build).

One day I will be doing a long 1000+ mile tour with my corovelo, but I have to make absolutely sure the bike is ready for it first because whatever tour I do is likely to be unsupported. I also need to re-do the body for less drag so I can cruise at higher speeds.

I read your blog regarding your trip to D.C. some years ago and found it very informative.

C:
Tony Levand

alevand Posted - 04/26/2018 : 07:01:44
Getting a ride back to Tn Tomorrow.

Had a PM on ecomodder:

quote:

The man who filmed this video was going to come down to TX some time before I left and pay me a visit so we could ride our HPVs together, but for some reason or another he never responded to me on the bentrider forums. I thought something had happened but was relieved to find he had videos posted from just a few days ago.

Supposedly he's coming up to Missouri this summer and we'll get another chance to meet. I want to ride with this dude because he's very strong and most cyclists simply can't keep up with me. This one may be much stronger than me, which would make racing him all the more fun.

I've always found both his corovelo and your carp to be highly interesting vehicles. No existing car can match their efficiency.

I almost rode my coroplast fared trike back to Missouri from Texas but at the last minute found a company that could ship it back for a reasonable cost(< $500), when the main motivation for the trip was to avoid paying upwards of the cost to build my bike to ship it home(I was quoted between $1400 and 2200 to ship it from other companies, when it cost about $2500 to build).

One day I will be doing a long 1000+ mile tour with my corovelo, but I have to make absolutely sure the bike is ready for it first because whatever tour I do is likely to be unsupported. I also need to re-do the body for less drag so I can cruise at higher speeds.

I read your blog regarding your trip to D.C. some years ago and found it very informative.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/24/2018 : 21:39:15
I guess I could rent a kayak and paddle across! Not. Maybe water proof the corovelo and put coroplast on each spoke like a paddle wheel and pedal my way across. Decisions.
alevand Posted - 04/24/2018 : 20:21:50
Yes, you can take the coal fired steam ship across the lake to make up the lack of co2 from the batteries.

C:
Tony Levand

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000