www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Velomobiles
 Carbon mold/tool for lower&upper enclosed velo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carolina Posted - 05/15/2014 : 12:24:23
How l started. My airplane molds (BD-5) l own are used for cf velomobile unibody. Ideas/conversations are welcome: march-7-2015 [This past MAY has been 2 years].

My molds favor this shape:

velosRus.com
-----------------------------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carolina Posted - 10/15/2018 : 13:34:18
[update] just prepping the big lower mold here on friday.

Now lower mold is complete and ready to prep and layup a unibody.

Drilled, top mount curing in flox/epoxy. Couple blemishes covered in micro.

Here is pic of upper top:

————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/14/2018 : 15:00:28
Mold made today, sunday afternoon. Took few hours today and couple hours last night.
1)last night, orange polyester tooling gelcoat (1hour between 4 coats).
2)then two layers of 3/4 oz. glass mat using polyester.
3)today 6 layers of carbon 11oz. twill using epoxy. (Always e over p).
4)orange peel-ply.
5) cure tomorrow evening, trim it and smooth it Monday.
6) near a yard of carbon used.
7)near 47 days
8)had top here for year, was time to work on it.

BOUT 15 minutes this Monday morning to take apart, very happy with mold and mavcoat release chemicals: 3 small blemishes to fix. 1)orange mold, 2)grey plug.

https://youtu.be/l3Sf12oY9rI
——————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/09/2018 : 17:58:08
PLUGS (MASTERS) RULE THE WORLD.

Finally sprayed a coat, now some find sanding. First week or so of prep l brush on primer/some gets sanded off with the fine glaze filler. Ive am much better with small top cup spary guns from harbor freight, & cleaning gun is easy nowdays with the sprays they have at autobody warehouse. Or carb cleaner does good to and cheaper.

Been on this plug project 42 days.

———————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/06/2018 : 11:58:27
Working on rain gutter under intersection. Orange plug is almost complete, takes only hours to layup the mold on it if you use epoxy tooling gel coat, day or so more if useing polyester tooling gel coat.

You can see cut intersection of rear cowling and front top.

Couple days shaping rain gutter with bondo.

—————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 10/03/2018 : 09:40:11
Grey the orange evercoat for some color wet-sanding on this plug.

——————————————————
Front of my R&D machine ive used over 3 years, outback is a quattrovelo rear-end. Love a pinion 18 speed german transmission.

——————————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/28/2018 : 12:15:26
NEW UPPER

Still looks the same but much work: plugs (master) takes forever but the mold (tool) goes quick.

Nice view: and pedal clearance.

——————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/23/2018 : 11:51:01
Plugs some call the master: i hope more people start making plugs, molds, parts.

DAYS OF WORK MAYBE YOU SEE SOME CHANGES:

Building a floor out of poster board and hot glue to capture a floor of 1/2” to 3/4” bondo that will be sanded to shape. Building up bondo 3 hours.

——————————————————————
Brevity & misspellings rampant.

Without cnc these are tools i use below with bondo, foam, balsa, lauan wood.

1) cleico plyers and cleico’s. (Aircraftspruce.com or The yard)
2) soft tape measures
3) shipwrights divider bought on ebay vintage
4) profile gage on ebay
——————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/21/2018 : 09:05:02
I thought up a way to leave rear bulkhead original on the big unibody lower mold. The black roll-over mold goes to full canopy velo. The fglass one (plug) under it goes to man-hole top.

Standard velo upper/top. Man-hole entrance.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/18/2018 : 11:35:35
See yellow fine line tape? Cut line.

Nail seated at rear for pulling pink tape.

Shipwrights divider and marker.

Its perfect and allowed 32nd of sanding on each half in future.

Not a laser culture shop here yet. No cnc too. Find the fault in the finished painted pieces.

———————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/11/2018 : 21:27:32
This yellow two tone is gone now.

Fitting man-hole top to lower: This top will be a plug for 1 piece mold. Will sit aside and layup lower unibody first, then start on top again.

——————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/09/2018 : 08:12:51
Video about: Mavcoat release agent on plugs molds parts. Most incredible! New chemistry coming along, hope it keeps coming.

Made this lil plug for roll-over behind head rest. This plug will help with new top project (indy car type man hole entrance on the velomobiel).

https://youtu.be/cxNAxwZwfho

Large rain gutter, plug ready for bondo skim coat, sanding, & primer.

——————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/08/2018 : 13:22:58
Made a plug this morning 10:00 til 2:15. Plug wil temporarily sit into the big mold (above post). This is rear roll-over at rear bulkhead. Where front top meets rear of top at roll-over. Once plug is smooth a mold will be made from it that mates with big mold.

My cut line is rearward more than this line, this top will make a plug for upper top mold made later.

A whole top cut in 4 pieces is tedious to put back together. I had to put together original and re-cut at different location.

———————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/07/2018 : 07:51:31
Next project is new top roll-over at rear bulkhead.
1)I make a plug (master) roll-over with rain gutter down in the mold (one time use), it matches rear inside of new top.
2) Then lay the multiuse new top mold over it.
3)That mold will cleico on and off.
4) l will still be able to make other top (full canopy like yellow velo above) with it’s roll-over mold on shelf. Just clieco in place and go.

———————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/06/2018 : 10:52:06
Part removal from tools (molds) can be nightmare. This is new Mavcoat release agent. This is 3 part mold bolted together. Made a great rear wheel well system for 4 wheeler velomobile.

https://youtu.be/NmnW23pcq70

If you follow this thread u know this one took a while too. Hell, they all do but getting quicker and nice. Less headaches.

GOT TO TRIM AND SAND EDGES, SAND AND SPRAY CLEAR EPOXY UV UP IN THE WHEEL WELLS.

Trimming amateur parts is SOB, have a steady hand, i use 3 tools from harbor freight. They’re great. Long sleeve shirts, full face respirator, air-hose. I thru that shirt away today:)

———————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/05/2018 : 17:49:44
Top and rear of next 4 wheeler velomobile.

https://youtu.be/swZaoa0krGM

Flip top and glass inside tomorrow. THIS TOP WILL BE A PLUG, NOT A TOP. PLUG=MOLD=PART

This man-hole indy car entrance has to be in best place l can get it for seat and head, the front and rear of top will run-out at given locations.
—————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/04/2018 : 20:15:38
The heart of the 4 wheeler curing. 6 hours plus cutting patterns out. All carbon twill.

———————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/02/2018 : 16:13:54
Layed up one side of three part mold of rear wheel wells today in 2 & 3/4 hours. 4 layer sandwich of carbon only with inserts after second layer.

First layer is hardest, then second layer will behave and stick. Moving and seating the thicker carbon with the wonderful harbor freight gloves. Used slow hardner.

Last layer 25” X 35”, just barely enough.

Epoxy clear-coat up in the wheel wells and wax. Keep the road grim off wheel wells & its epoxy from tires. Otherwise epoxy would be suffering over time.
———————————-

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 09/01/2018 : 20:15:27

Needed lil’ more cutting room, 2 Harbor freight stands, threaded rod, and some PVC. And stands can be used with the rollers they came with. With electric scissors and serrated blades (wish i had had in mid 90’s) its a good table. 3/8” sheet of plastic with worn numbered cutting pad under plastic. Some patterns are 50”x36” which is a yard from compositeenvisions.com. PVC fit perfect in the roll tube compositeenvisions uses. Rear wheel well patterns are 25”x36”.

Cheating 11 ounce twill carbon. Tape it then cut it.

——————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 08/27/2018 : 13:43:59
Notha short vid on my channel:

https://youtu.be/W7VZRkNc2PA
———————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 08/25/2018 : 18:46:52
Built this tiny 3/16 lip on brake lever. It allows stock micro-switch to remain stock. The thin lil’ metal lever on micro-switch is usually bent to some shape that will work. Now its out of box working.

Today i put 6mm rivnut in top of rear cowling. This makes it easy to roll velo around at rear with some hardware to hold on too. You can just keep inside or in your pocket.

——————————

velosRus.com
CincyRay Posted - 08/25/2018 : 11:56:38
Nice job. Seems to me that If you want to start selling these without mechanicals, you would at least want to publish more ride info before you send it over to your first buyer. Why not put together a longer video filmed from a chase car to demonstrate what it can do. Is it fast or slow versus other commercial velos? How about having a more athletic bent cyclist take it out for a spin and see what kind of speeds it can achieve and how noises it is. How much does it weigh? How does it perform with and without the canopy? Is there a plan to look at internal hinges for the canopy? Sure would clean up the look. Thx.
carolina Posted - 08/25/2018 : 11:30:25
Tom:

Been riden for year lol, got bout 15 different days. One thing paint don’t change. Page 3, pic shows 2017 November riding to grocery store or near that date.

Built the lowracer and 4 wheeler conversion too while working on this velomobile. [Glance over the 10 pages of this thread for quick timeline.]. Rode many moons without top or rear cowling. Wish post were numbered.

Velomobile delivered when doctor get back of 7th/vacation. Be watching the 4 wheeler velomobile build, started in above post. That will go lil’ quicker and the 4 wheeler mule has been riden about a year. Just moving hardware from old metal frame mule to new unibody. Save weight too.
———————————

velosRus.com
Tom Schneider Posted - 08/25/2018 : 08:47:23
Now a test ride and results?

Tom
carolina Posted - 08/24/2018 : 23:26:45
Inside the WAW type rear cowling: i ran the rear lights cable with the cannon plug. The plastic weather guard is held on with “3M strip-calk.”

—————————

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 08/24/2018 : 23:20:36
Install windows with a few tricks:

Nuts, bolts, & hinges.

——————————

velosRus.com

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000