www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 Lunatic Fringe 3.0 Streetliner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LunaticFringe Posted - 11/18/2017 : 17:05:11
WOW! I've been out of the game for a while. It's time to jump back in.

I had gotten up to 299.9 pounds, which scared me, and now I'm down to 230. By May, I'll hopefully be around 199.9. A 100 pound loss would be cool! I'm riding fast again and feeling GREAT. In the past few years, my town, Tucson, AZ, has built an amazing system of bike-friendly trails with no cars around (about 100 miles worth) and this streetliner will be a blast to cruise on it. I will also attend a few velodrome races with you guys, hopefully in 2018. Wahoo!

---

I weighed about 280 pounds when I was riding 2.0. It was so fast that I allowed it to trick me into thinking that I was still fit at that weight. Hah!

---

This project will start off with the same bike that I had used for 2.0, pictured below. It is the Steintrikes Speedster FS. The full suspension makes it a dream to ride on rough roads and it was really fast with the old fairing on it. The old fairing was HUGE. The new one will be much lighter and easier to transport. It has the Schlumpf High Speed Drive for the higher gearing needed for a streamlined bike.

---

This new fairing will be constructed of a mix of an existing fiberglass fairing and fabric-over-rib construction, similar to Rick Gritters' awesome ride. I will be learning from the DVD available from GA Boats. It shows every step about how to build fabric-over-rib boats, like an 8 pound canoe. http://www.gaboats.com/

---

The nose fairing arrives soon (pictured below, on a trike). I got it on eBay at a delivered price approx. $123. Made by Midnor Mold. It seems to be a decent shape to start with and I can easily modify it to suit my needs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Recumbent-Bicycle-Nose-Cone-Recumbent-Fairing-Recumbent-Nose-/263269950942

---

I set up my work area today so that I can begin the process. This won't be a mad rush and I'll start by making a stand for the bike so that it sits on top of the work table. I figure that I'll be done in a couple of easy months' work this winter.

---

I no longer use a factory for my business activities. I only sell my product designs online using about 35 websites. I mostly sell traffic related security products and fake rock waterfalls for swimming pools. I'll be building this streetliner at a house where I operate the business from. I have still messed around with fiberglass over the years and recently made a ram air system for the Harley that WORKS GREAT.

---

There won't be a techinical, dimensioned drawing for this build... I'm just going to wing-it and post pics along the way. It seems that the fabric-over-rib construction will be affordable and light. Since I'll be a newbie at that type of construction, I won't lock myself into a technical drawing.

I'll post more pics as it develops over the next couple of months. Next post might be in a week or two.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ
Lunatic Fringe 3.0
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carolina Posted - 04/26/2018 : 09:54:08
Great build, you can build. I bet your thinking of next one.

velosRus.com
SpiderMonkey Posted - 04/26/2018 : 06:43:23
Awesome looking machine, and great documentation for prospective builder or just daydreamers.

--SpiderMonkey
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/25/2018 : 22:48:20
At some point tomorrow, I take LunaticFringe 3.0 for its first romp.

The following pics show me in the rig, testing how I like the positioning of roof prior to installing the mounts. They're attached now and workin' great.

---

Next up, the aero for the underside.

I bought polycarbonate and Coroplast in case they come in handy. I had the full coroplast sheet on top of my head inside of my Land Rover. Hah!

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/25/2018 : 13:49:16
After this paint dries, I'll install the roof and windscreen...

P-ZOW!

These colors visually vibrate like CRAZY in the sunshine! Aw-YEAH!

I'm diggin' this high-noon shadow profile.

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/24/2018 : 22:21:53
Well, if it hadn't taken FOREVER for my new tires to be put on, I'd have finished the paint job.

It will be done by tomorrow, though! ;)

The nose fairing will be orange with orange extending upward in a wide section toward the cockpit, plus an orange stripe along the bottom edge of the entire fairing (well maybe about half way back), about 4" thick, from the front orange nose to the rear. The rear most vertical spar at the tail will also have a vertical orange stripe.

Wahoo! I love how this orange and blue are such a vibrating blast of color.

---

---

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/24/2018 : 11:57:51
quote:
Originally posted by Terry

Thanks for documenting all your experiences with this project.
When I get to it, I would like to try making a nose and tail for the wood WAW using similar methods.
Cool stuff!

You are very welcome! Iíve always enjoyed posting everything about any build that Iíve done so that others can learn along with me. Of course, like learning what to do, it helps to learn what to avoid. This is the first time that I have ever messed with fabric, which had always seemed foreign to me. I have a custom made recumbent motorcycle that will receive this fabric-over-frame aerodynamic treatment next. :)

Jeff
Terry Posted - 04/24/2018 : 11:19:52
Thanks for documenting all your experiences with this project.
When I get to it, I would like to try making a nose and tail for the wood WAW using similar methods.
Cool stuff!
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/24/2018 : 10:02:34
quote:
Originally posted by warren

Looks great!

Thank you, sir!

Jeff
warren Posted - 04/24/2018 : 09:23:51
Looks great!
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/23/2018 : 22:30:10
Well... DANG. That went so fast that now I think that I DO have time to do some aero work to the underside before the race.

The fabric work is done! Tomorrow, I paint!

I'd take it for a test ride in the morning, but I need to get all new tires put onto the Land Rover (had a belt separate on one today).

I'm am so STOKED! I feared doing the fabric, but now I love it. It was really fun!

Pics and a video follow:

---

---

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrBENqbmeuk

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/23/2018 : 13:52:31
quote:

Looks very good! Are you going to close off the bottom too? At least behind the seat? That will make a huge difference in Aero!

I definitely plan to make the underside more aerodynamic, but may not be able to have that done before the race. ;)

Jeff
warren Posted - 04/23/2018 : 12:39:12
Looks very good! Are you going to close off the bottom too? At least behind the seat? That will make a huge difference in Aero!
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/22/2018 : 21:39:22
What a way to finish off the day!

I covered almost half of the frame with fabric. I had considered trying to do the entire sheh-bang with one single piece of fabric, but I'm not an expert yet and I needed to maintain the hustle. It will be easier to repair panels if they are already separate anyway.

All of the following is with the fabric BEFORE it has been shrunken. I will do that tomorrow, making sure that all of the fabric's glue has fully dried. A bigger piece of fabric will have more pull than the small door done previously.

A few videos help to explain a bit of what this is like to do.

I used duct tape to establish a cut-off point for the front of the fabric against the fiberglass nose. It worked well, allowing me to cut the excess off with a fresh X-Acto knife. ;)

The roll of fabric as I began to lay it out... the temptation to lay it all up as a single piece was there!

---

---

This video shows my state of mind before gluing it all up... nervous! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjxTKGIsxI

Success! It was just as easy to glue up the fabric as it was on the door! I feel like I can rock-n-roll right through this pretty quickly now. I've learned that I spent WAY too much time sanding the major fiberglass spars. I had watched videos that said that it was best to make everything perfect because it would show dramatically through the fabric. Hah! The fabric hides a LOT of flaws in fiberglass like sanding marks and bubbles.

---

---

The following 2 pictures make the thing look like a giant Japanese lantern of sorts. Hah!

---

This video shows how much more relieved I am now. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82HF-2v_bg

I'm on the down-hill side of it all now!

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/22/2018 : 16:16:43
Take a break?! Nah, I got right back on it.

The Kevlar roving is now done... IT'S FABRIC TIME, BOYS AND GIRLS!

---

This video shows a bit better how the roving helps to create a curvature that will support the fabric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmIC2Tspu2Q

Oddly enough, I think that the creation of the Kevlar roving lines was the most fun of this build so far.

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/20/2018 : 20:24:43
I did a few hours of Kevlar roving work and will probably do more on Monday to finish it off.

On the flat surfaces, just fan out the end, adhere into place with thickened cyanoacrylate and kicker spray. Make sure that the receiving surface is sanded. It holds VERY well. After it hardens (about 1 minute), twist the roving a lot so that all of the fibers are wrapped into a nice tight thread of sorts. Then you can pull like a monkey to go around the opposing surface and glue that end into place before cutting it off. You want the Kevlar strand to be very tight. This helps to control the shrinking fabric and prevent inward puckers.

Basically, you want to create 'facets' on irregular planes, like a geodesic dome or diamond.

---

In this picture, you can see how the Kevlar is out past fiberglass spars as it connects to another spar. In those areas a large pucker would occur without the support of the Kevlar.

'Gonna ride the Harley for hours tomorrow with the biker club. I need a break! ;)

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/20/2018 : 16:26:27
OMG!!!!

This works amazingly well!

Before shrinking...

After shrinking at 250 degrees and with aluminum paint applied for UV protection...

This blue is amazing!!!

---

---

A short video that shows how well the door fabric is formed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnVBBpSr6jQ

Jeff

LunaticFringe Posted - 04/20/2018 : 14:05:18
Selective use of Kevlar roving is now in play. I've got it strung tight, like guitar string. I believe that it will hold and help to control the shape of the fabric near the high spots.

Wish me luck! Next pic will be the resulting fabric shrunken over the door frame.

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/20/2018 : 11:37:15
quote:

Yay! Any idea how heavy the fairing frame is getting to be?

I just now weighed it without the Flevo roof. We're at 76 pounds. If the bike weighs 43, then we're at 33 for the fairing. A bit beefy and ridiculous looking, but it will carry a ton of stuff in the rear, kind of like Kim Kardashian.

Jeff
warren Posted - 04/20/2018 : 09:13:47
Yay! Any idea how heavy the fairing frame is getting to be?
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/19/2018 : 19:54:26
Guess who finished all of the spar work tonight?

Yep... this guy.

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/18/2018 : 20:12:26
I used to use a 2x4 with rough sand paper to knock down rough Bondo, but I discovered a new trick! I used a BRICK in place of the 2x4. The weight of the brick really makes the sand paper bite and it sands nice and level, easy to control. Hah! I sanded and trimmed the Balsa/'glass spar.

I added 2 angled vertical spars behind the seat so that the fairing and its fabric won't distort in the future if I need to remove it from the bike. I only needed a half-tube's worth of fiberglass for reinforcement, plus it's quicker. I'm running out of time, so it's go, go, GO!

---

What's left to do prior to the fabric? The last Balsa/'glass spar. coming soon!

Jeff

harv Posted - 04/18/2018 : 14:43:55
Garrie, I had some time to kill and a Google search turned up this site that sells balsa and bass wood. http://tinyurl.com/ydcsckht
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/18/2018 : 13:37:12
I'll probably post a couple of pics later today. I added a couple more spars and I've been working out to improve my stamina.

It's just a Schwinn stationary bike, but I can now ride at a cadence of 90 and 17 mph for an hour straight through. 'Feeling so much better! I can't wait to see how the 'liner rides!

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/13/2018 : 10:10:44
quote:
Originally posted by Garrie L Hill

Jeff;
Where do you buy large section Balsa? Around here the only Balsa is in Hobby Shops in tiny sections for model airplanes.

Garrie

Sorry, I don't remember where I got it from and the box no longer has markings from the supplier. I bought it online about 18 years ago. ;) It was a supplier to hobby stores.

Jeff
Garrie L Hill Posted - 04/12/2018 : 18:40:01
Jeff;
Where do you buy large section Balsa? Around here the only Balsa is in Hobby Shops in tiny sections for model airplanes.

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000