www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 F-26 Phoenix

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alevand Posted - 08/19/2017 : 14:16:24
I want to make a dual 26 fwd or a 559c/700c fwd bike, fixed bb. I am first going to make a narrowed 7 speed hub, I have the 559 rim with 36 spokes holes. I am thinking of cutting a half inch or so out of the middle of the hub. Does any know or guess what percentage of the torque is transmitted through the hub with a symmetrical lacing, cross three?

C:
Tony Levand
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alevand Posted - 03/07/2018 : 20:01:06
Id like to put a fwd corovelo on the bucket list.

I am retiring the Carp brand name, maybe Prac (Carp spelled backward) or maybe Prax, from the Urban Dictionary:

prax
v. To make libertarian arguments from logical first principles and without reference to actual experience. Especially when arguing that outside experience can not disprove your argument *even in principle*.

Often used by anti-libertarians in a derisive manner.

Derived from "praxeology" as invented by libertarian philosopher Ludwig von Mises.
Your friend was really praxing out when he said that privately owned courts would be more just than democratically governed ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praxeology
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=prax

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 03/07/2018 : 18:37:27
I think that is a good move Tony. I know you really liked your lwb. Makes sense to me to go with what is more comfortable to you. JMHO.

I am re-doing my corovelo to make it more touring friendly and a little more aero. I love the 3 wheels. It makes it easier to load up and climb long, steep hills.
alevand Posted - 03/07/2018 : 17:27:58
Project shelved. Now working on touring LWB.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 02/19/2018 : 05:51:06
Thanks, Jeff I didnt know the bike existed.

https://youtu.be/yLwxRZNTlCg

C:
Tony Levand
Jeff Wills Posted - 02/18/2018 : 22:02:13
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

Next I want to build the forks:

C:
Tony Levand

It looks like you're trying to recreate Rob English's Hachi:

Or maybe the old Nilgo:

alevand Posted - 02/18/2018 : 07:56:52
I'm wondering if a cross over drive would be better. It would make the chain line narrower and straighter, a little more complicated. I could use a narrowed hub with cassette for the cross over, Id have to tack weld the free wheel to keep it from loosening.

I am questioning the wisdom of having multiple drive sprockets on the secondary, as steering would certainly derail the chain unless the front derailleur keeps it, even so, there would be substantial rubbing.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 02/12/2018 : 19:22:12
No, its original.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Is that 7 speed hub a narrow hub Tony. Or is it just the angle of the picture? Looks like it should work.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 02/12/2018 : 07:47:16
Is that 7 speed hub a narrow hub Tony. Or is it just the angle of the picture? Looks like it should work.
alevand Posted - 02/12/2018 : 06:20:16
I found that the old 7 speed externally threaded cassette locking cog threads onto a threaded hub.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 02/04/2018 : 14:36:51
The nipples came today, but I decided not to use the 1.8x1.5x1.8 mm spokes that I ordered by mistake. I had some slightly too long 2 mm straight spokes that I laced up as cross 5. I put 1/8 offset, but even with this small amount the drive side spokes are noticeably tighter. I may go back and center the rim.

The 18t BMX free wheel sticks out more that in could. Cross 5 hub.

I probably could have reversed the drive side flange for additional 1/16 inch width.

... I wonder if it would be worth it to weld the 18 tooth sprocket directly to the end of the hub and bring the right flange out 1/2 inch...

C:
Tony Levands
alevand Posted - 02/03/2018 : 07:51:26
The idea is to use VPS on this bike, but the lower links are right where I'd put my feet down when I stand up, so no I haven't worked all the bugs out. It might need landing gear, but then Id have to get out of the bike to go over a curb, which is harder without foot holes. It would definitely need over the shoulder members, to support weight as I egress though the top, but as I learned on the MBB-VPS, only one should fold, otherwise the open frame can't support any weight. I suppose I can make the links hefty enough that I can stand on them. Maybe a side door and one folding over the shoulder member would be better, but I'm not sure how Id get both feet in at the same time without crawling on the ground like and inch worm. Id have to put the landing hear down, open the latch and door, pull feet back, pull my self to a squatting position on the links, then step though the door, so maybe top egress would have one less step(no pun). The curb is daily occurrence when I ride down the grassy hill to my house. Ive never been able ride up it, though, in a recumbent.

C:
Tony Levand
PUGZCAT Posted - 02/02/2018 : 17:39:12
Tony did you ever sort out that linkage steering stuff?
alevand Posted - 01/31/2018 : 18:21:15
Sorry, Gary, I'll try to tone it down when I get nipples and lace.

C:
Tony Levand
Garrie L Hill Posted - 01/30/2018 : 20:46:26
Oh, Tony! Too much information, dude. T.M.I. !! ;-).

BTW, missed you at Bruce’s get together. You do have some of the neatest Show-and-Tell projects over the years.

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

alevand Posted - 01/30/2018 : 19:32:53
I went to built the wheel and realized I that don't have nipples, ordered.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 01/28/2018 : 07:24:11
Hi Nick,

You are right. I'll need some type of pedal blocks.

Tony

quote:
Originally posted by nickyfitz

Hi Tony

I like the drawing of your new bike but I'm not sure I understand it! Maybe I'm being dumb?

As it's drawn, it seems to me like the crankset is (a) too far away to reach the 9 o'clock pedal position, and (b) there'll be massive pedal (and chain?) overlap given that it's a fixed BB. Am I missing something?

C:
Tony Levand
nickyfitz Posted - 01/28/2018 : 07:05:04
Hi Tony

I like the drawing of your new bike but I'm not sure I understand it! Maybe I'm being dumb?

As it's drawn, it seems to me like the crankset is (a) too far away to reach the 9 o'clock pedal position, and (b) there'll be massive pedal (and chain?) overlap given that it's a fixed BB. Am I missing something?
alevand Posted - 01/26/2018 : 06:11:58
I received the spokes for the narrowed front wheel with steel hub.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 01/12/2018 : 08:25:59
I was thinking about gearing. I could have 3x8x1x1 = 24 speeds or 3x7x2x1 = 42 speeds or 2x7x2x1 = 28 speeds or 3x5x3x1 = 45 speeds or 3x5x3x2=90 speeds. I'm thinking 28 or 42 speeds, the 28 could be 32 , if I double use the large cog for a lower and higher range.

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 01/11/2018 : 10:28:18
Next I want to build the forks:

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 01/10/2018 : 10:17:47
I ordered an aluminum hub off ebay. In the mean time I found two steel hubs in the garage, one a front hub with a 3/8 axle, the other a joytec rear hub form the old neighbors deceased wife's bike.. You can see in the picture front hub flange is further outboard.

I cut the two with the pipe cutter, then ground them down shorter. I found that the flanges are only pressed in and was able to knock them out. I reversed the left flange, brought it to the edge of the hub, tacked it place and welded the two halfs. It was spinning pretty straight, but after welding is off a little.

Finished hub, I should have tacked the flange on the other (outboard) side:

Original weight was 200 grams heavier than the aluminum hub, now about 120 grams heavier, 320g.

Now I just have to find my bmx freewheel...

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 01/10/2018 : 08:28:09
Yes, the secondary chain needs a tensioner, and chain guides to prevent the chain from skipping off due to bumps and varying chain tension.
alevand Posted - 01/10/2018 : 06:56:02
I've decided that even with the narrowed cassette hub, that my legs interfere with the axle. I tried it without the skewer. My thought is to narrow an old hub and use a bmx freewheel sprocket and a mid drive. It will also get the derailleur out of the way. Does the secondary chain need a spring tensioner?

The Sovos hub looks best, the left side bearings are inboard, under the flange. Unfortunately I removed the cups years ago and are lost.
C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 12/27/2017 : 07:07:23
I gave up on FreeCad. It took me a hour trying to figure out why the crossection I wanted to sweep wasn't showing up in the menu to pick. After trying almost every permutation, I found that it cant sweep hollow sections, only solid rods. You have to make another sweep to cut it out. It is B.S. The assembly is BS too. Have to type in an angle and offset from the origin to place a part, a real pain. I couldn't get the bent tube where I wanted it.

Hi Irv, I tried using Blender a few years ago to design a shell, I think I went with K-3D. Blender is not really a CAD program, its more for animation. It does export STL file format. K-3D has no CAD export, So I made a DXF file of the points. The machine shop wanted $10k to CNC a foam plug. That was the end of that project.

I am trying google Sketchup over the web, as they don't have a Linux version. Another learning curve.

I am thinking that I might need a custom derailleur, one that doesn't stick out. I would use two cages, one on top instead of an idler, would take up chain slack. A short cage on the derailleur for shifting, but no spring. The derailleur mechanism would be inboard from the normal parallelogram.

I tried making a wheel in Blender,I couldn't figure out how to mirror the cone I used for the spoke envelope. I use a torus to make the tire

I make a wheel in K3D, pretty easy, but I don't know how to move it from the origin.

C:
Tony Levand
IrvJamison Posted - 12/27/2017 : 00:11:00
Tony, what about Blender for 3D CAD?

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000