www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Recumbent Touring
 Natchez Trace - Not

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
alevand Posted - 08/28/2017 : 18:25:11
I am going to meet Jerry on the Natchez Trace in October. I don't have the details, not sure if I am riding from home, 1000 miles to Natchez or driving there and just ridding the trace for a few days. That's the plan anyway. I don't think the 26x26 bike would be ready so it would be the carp. I have two routes to Natchez, the flat route an the scenic route with lots of hills.

C:
Tony Levand
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alevand Posted - 04/20/2018 : 18:42:52
Sense of speed is much greater on swb bike. 25 mph seems fast. It climbs better than lwb, since it can go slower. I will be building a new lwb bike.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/20/2018 : 09:50:34
https://www.facebook.com/jerry.roberson.524 . I hope this link works. It is my account of Tony and mine ride on the Natchez Trace.
Jerry Posted - 04/19/2018 : 19:20:34
I just made it back home Warren. Tony is in northern TN headed home. I posted the trip and photos to my facebook page. Jerry Roberson. I am headed for bed!

My total riding was 103 miles Sunday, 100+ Monday, and 100+ Tuesday. That almost double smy year to date mileage.
warren Posted - 04/19/2018 : 15:38:57
Thanks for the update Jerry! I was wondering how the adventure was going.
Jerry Posted - 04/19/2018 : 10:31:22
I met Tony and his wife in Natchez, MS at the Days Inn. We spent the night and got up the next morning and took pictures and left for what would be a 103 mile 1st day adventure on the Natchez Trace parkway. I made it to the 150 mile MP before having to turn around and head back to Natchez with a couple of mechanical problems and one or two physical problems, like a broken tooth and a very tender Achilles Heal. More of the story and pictures to follow later.
alevand Posted - 04/12/2018 : 20:08:00
Well I did not mess up too much today. Didn't get the job done, oh well. I have a rudimentary tail light in parallel with the headlight with a 100 ohm resister. The tail might be still too bright. Checked the air in the minivan tires, full size spare still at full pressure for a year now. I have the soar powered rear blinking light working too.

I need to figure out what to take and what to leave, and pack it in the bike. Heading down tomorrow after my exit interview. I probably should test ride it first.

CARIBU song:

Last day at work:

retirement wishes:

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/12/2018 : 07:24:15
Don't get exposed to radiation your last day. If you do, we will not need a flash light, you will glow in the dark!

My cell phone is in a holder on the stem. It is so full of AT&T's bull crap, it doesn't have any free space. If I delete any of the AT&T junk, then the phone doesn't work. What a gimmick.

In the 80's again today with 40+ mph wind gusts.

I am leaving for my mom's in about one hour. It will take a couple extra hours as mom needs to stop often. I am in no hurry.

Have a great retirement party and a very safe drive down. See you Saturday sometime.
alevand Posted - 04/12/2018 : 06:04:02
APRS! Well if there's no cell signal, use the open street map and make a POI. Cell phone is on a lanyard hanging around my neck.

Last day at work. I have to fix a burnt SMD resistor inside a contaminated chamber wearing a XL tyvek suit tapped up, two pairs of glove, booties, and battery powered HEPA respirator. I look like the Michelin man, puffed up like a balloon. This tiny resistor in the source is stopping all research at the accelerator. I have to remember to check the RF coupling capacitors. No pressure. Then my retirement lunch at noon.

Yesterday i was moving the crane, and knocked down the radioacivity survey instrument and it broke. Had to stop work, they didn't have a spare, had to send it to repair.

Suppose to be 71 today, heat wave.

Gusty 15 side winds Sunday, 10 mph side wind Monday, We'll have a 10 mph tail wind Tuesday, chance of rain on Wednesday. Lot of dew Sunday and Tuesday nights , not do much Monday night.

I haven't started packing yet.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/11/2018 : 20:54:10
Sounds like we might have to make notes and posties to remind us to stop, look around before moving! Ha. My wife has been lecturing me, make sure you stop talking and look around 2-3 times before leaving wherever you stop. She is right. Maybe I should video the last place I stop each time with my cell. That might give me a point of reference to find what I left behind. We are not alone though. Each journal I read, they are always leaving stuff behind. Doesn't make me feel any better. It gets worse each year.

It was 86 here. Glad I am taking the tent, the first two nights could be in the 30's. Would need the sleeping bag and under quilt for that.
alevand Posted - 04/11/2018 : 17:49:58
Well, Jerry, top this, I forgot my cycling shoes at home and had to buy new ones in Kansas. My wife drove home from Boonville with my wallet in the laundry, luckily I had a few dollars stashed in the bike and made it 400 miles home with out being pulled over.

It was 60 today, the warmest day of the year so far. Sandals would be nice in the fairing. I could spend another week tinkering with the bike.

... I might have the headlight working, have to test in the dark.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/11/2018 : 13:23:37
Baseball dug outs close to park and plenty of trees and posts to hang from. Krogers is close by, and so is Mickey D's for coffee in the morning. Mother's kitchen not open for breakfast. Looks like a good spot.

I am making a new batch of my energy bars, packing stuff into van, and getting ready to head out in the morning to my mom's house. Visit with my family Friday and head on over to Natchez Saturday morning. Getting to the point of being overly anxious to get started! I hope I haven't forgotten anything I need. Also hope I don't ride off and leave stuff behind on the trip. I have been known to lose stuff.

Everything is packed in the van ready to leave in the morning. Bringing both the hammock and my small tent to my mom's. I might bring the tent instead of hammock. It is easier to strap to the top of the box. It might turn out we stay in dug outs and churches anyways. Now to find my ground cloth!
alevand Posted - 04/11/2018 : 08:29:08

Or else we could camp at the end of this closed off road:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/32.3552548,-90.3355486/32.3546747,-90.3323231/@32.3554427,-90.3352844,947m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.356244,-90.3342478,3a,75y,198.12h,84.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMYmPRMDBrjyTZ8kKl1YaSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

C:
Tony Levand

C:
Tony Levand
alevand Posted - 04/11/2018 : 08:12:30
Warm and comfy doesn't fit in the bike when it the stuff sack. If it were loose in a plastic bag I could stuff it in on top. Would make access underneath troublesome.
I was thinking of sneaking in back of Roberson park, about 400 ft off the trace, Mothers Catering and Kitchen is in front of the park, could grab something go for supper.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//32.3521799,-90.3322104/@32.3527917,-90.3329427,474m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.352277,-90.3300436,3a,75y,263.44h,72.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s3-s_F2QV2DWsWLVAErPj-g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D3-s_F2QV2DWsWLVAErPj-g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D50.837605%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/110605132693785711425/6529218132984459250

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/11/2018 : 07:01:10
Dear Marsha, I know you must be a moron because we are traveling by bicycle. How the hell can a person on a bicycle drive only 8 minutes by car. I know the state of MS is 48th or 49th in education, but maybe you could tune into Sesame Street for your formal education. Especially pay close attention to the Count.

Thank you for your very unintelligent and non-informative ramble.

Signed,
Two weary travelers (by way of bicycle)

I would send this to her, but I doubt if she would get it. You can't fix stupid!

I am contacting the Dayspring Community Church in Clinton, MS today and asking them if we can camp. It is not far from the Trace and has a nice lake behind it. One thing about traveling in the south, lots and lots of churches.

If I had the room for it, I would go for warmth and comfort. YMMV.
alevand Posted - 04/11/2018 : 06:57:06
Humm, warmth and security or light weight and compact...

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/10/2018 : 21:45:46
I had them covered with 1/4" plastic. Still lost a few small limbs and leaves off them.

Sounds like you are getting things worked out. I have one more day to get everything right. Leaving here Thursday. Will leave my mom's Saturday morning for Natchez.
alevand Posted - 04/10/2018 : 21:09:53
I think I fixed the toe rubbing, and straightened the chain wheel, lighting doesn't work so well. Good thing the tomatoes made it through.

I about bicycle camping in clinton, this is the idiot response:

quote:
Tony,

Thank you for your interest in visiting Clinton, Mississippi. Camping in Clinton would be at the Springridge RV park 601-924-0947. You can call them about space to tent camp. The Clinton Visitor Center is at Milepost 89 on the trace. The RV park is about 8 minutes by car in Clinton off the trace but a straight direction on one street where the name changes. Stop by the visitor center and we can give you a map and show you the direction.

You can start your visit on a high note at the culture-rich Clinton Visitor Center. The center has the look and authentic charm of an 1800’s style farmhouse once located along the Natchez Trace.

Come sit on the porch in our rockers, picnic on the beautifully landscaped grounds, view artifacts and photographs in the museum room. On weekends enjoy toe tapping jam sessions with many jandras of music. The reception area includes a gift shop that showcases the work of local artisans with products ranging from art prints, jewelry, woodwork, ornaments, books, ceramics, civil war collectibles, Natchez Trace memorabilia, and delicious Mississippi specialty food products.

Dr. Samuel Marshall Gore, internationally celebrated sculptor, has a masterpiece “Fallen Comrade” that salutes America’s military veterans. Gore’s rendering depicts two longtime Clinton friends, Marine Joe Albritton carrying the body of fellow Marine Homer Ainsworth from the battlefield during the Korean War.

I am enclosing two brochures of Clinton. The most recent restaurant listing can be found by viewing www.theclintoncourier.net and the updated hotel listing can be found by viewing www.chooseclinton.org

The Visitor Center is open Monday through Saturday from 9am until 5pm and Sunday afternoon from 1pm-5pm. Hours may vary on major holidays. The center is located at 1300 Pinehaven Road. To get there, take the Clinton exit at Milepost 89 on the Natchez Trace Parkway and turn left onto Pinehaven Road; or from I-20 take Exit 36 and turn north onto Springridge Road which becomes Pinehaven Road. For more details call 601-924-2221. You can call Community Development 601-924-2256 for development questions.

Have a good bike ride.

Marsha Barham

Clinton Visitor Center, Director

601-924-2221

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/10/2018 : 19:49:19
Do what you want, but I know what I would tell him.

Roofer just left. We had golf ball size hail Friday. Need a new roof, guttering, screens on the windows, and roof vents. One shingle had hail go through it, the felt paper, and into the plywood. Damaged my brand new shed too. I might have to go back to work for a while! Haha.

I sure have a lot of stuff in the box!
alevand Posted - 04/10/2018 : 18:07:10
Boss is pressuring me to come back to work in two weeks.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/10/2018 : 17:35:26
You can't move them. The plastic is just to hold 400+ pounds of my 2 year old never used compost. There is no bottom. The roots are already about 6 inches into the soft ground where I dug down and amended the soil. They would be alright without water for a week, but would not be ideal. Next year I will use a 30 or 55 gallon container with both ends removed filled with compost. The deeper the roots go, the less water you need.

Five days until the first riding day. Tony will be retired for 2 days. Cool!

alevand Posted - 04/10/2018 : 17:13:31
I sealed the seams on the rain fly.

If you think they will dry up, put them in the shade.

C:
Tony Levand
Jerry Posted - 04/10/2018 : 16:19:53
I am taking the 3 season bag because of sleeping in the hammock.

I should have made the box 6 inches longer!

I need to cut grass and weed eat again tomorrow.

I hope the wife remembers to water my tomatoes and other plants. My tomatoes. The heavy wind broke the short one off. It is coming back though.
/img]
alevand Posted - 04/10/2018 : 14:28:36
I wondering if my summer bag will be warm enough on the two nights below 40, or should I bring the bulkier heaver 3 season bag. It would be toasty warm.

Yes, Warren, 3 days to go! I have one remaining vacation day, but it looks like I won't be able to sneak away.

I haven't yet decided what all to bring, but it has to all fit on one side of the tail box.

quote:
Originally posted by warren

Woo-Hoo Tony! Only 3 more days of servitude and then you are a free man!

C:
Tony Levand
warren Posted - 04/10/2018 : 10:27:12
Woo-Hoo Tony! Only 3 more days of servitude and then you are a free man!
Jerry Posted - 04/10/2018 : 09:25:48
Got everything on my list in the tail box. I might have to strap one or two items on the top. I have too much stuff. I will probably go through everything again and try to get rid of a couple of things. If it was going to be warmer at night, I would not need the sleeping bag. That takes up the most room. Maybe I need to get a shrinkable net bag to put it in. I can get it smashed down smaller, but it expands right back out when I let it go. The straps on the outside of the bag are more for show than anything else. I'll put whatever I strap to the top behind my helmet so it will not be too much of a drag.

Two days before I head east.

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000