www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 Lunatic Fringe 3.0 Streetliner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LunaticFringe Posted - 11/18/2017 : 17:05:11
WOW! I've been out of the game for a while. It's time to jump back in.

I had gotten up to 299.9 pounds, which scared me, and now I'm down to 230. By May, I'll hopefully be around 199.9. A 100 pound loss would be cool! I'm riding fast again and feeling GREAT. In the past few years, my town, Tucson, AZ, has built an amazing system of bike-friendly trails with no cars around (about 100 miles worth) and this streetliner will be a blast to cruise on it. I will also attend a few velodrome races with you guys, hopefully in 2018. Wahoo!

---

I weighed about 280 pounds when I was riding 2.0. It was so fast that I allowed it to trick me into thinking that I was still fit at that weight. Hah!

---

This project will start off with the same bike that I had used for 2.0, pictured below. It is the Steintrikes Speedster FS. The full suspension makes it a dream to ride on rough roads and it was really fast with the old fairing on it. The old fairing was HUGE. The new one will be much lighter and easier to transport. It has the Schlumpf High Speed Drive for the higher gearing needed for a streamlined bike.

---

This new fairing will be constructed of a mix of an existing fiberglass fairing and fabric-over-rib construction, similar to Rick Gritters' awesome ride. I will be learning from the DVD available from GA Boats. It shows every step about how to build fabric-over-rib boats, like an 8 pound canoe. http://www.gaboats.com/

---

The nose fairing arrives soon (pictured below, on a trike). I got it on eBay at a delivered price approx. $123. Made by Midnor Mold. It seems to be a decent shape to start with and I can easily modify it to suit my needs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Recumbent-Bicycle-Nose-Cone-Recumbent-Fairing-Recumbent-Nose-/263269950942

---

I set up my work area today so that I can begin the process. This won't be a mad rush and I'll start by making a stand for the bike so that it sits on top of the work table. I figure that I'll be done in a couple of easy months' work this winter.

---

I no longer use a factory for my business activities. I only sell my product designs online using about 35 websites. I mostly sell traffic related security products and fake rock waterfalls for swimming pools. I'll be building this streetliner at a house where I operate the business from. I have still messed around with fiberglass over the years and recently made a ram air system for the Harley that WORKS GREAT.

---

There won't be a techinical, dimensioned drawing for this build... I'm just going to wing-it and post pics along the way. It seems that the fabric-over-rib construction will be affordable and light. Since I'll be a newbie at that type of construction, I won't lock myself into a technical drawing.

I'll post more pics as it develops over the next couple of months. Next post might be in a week or two.

Jeff Bales
Tucson, AZ
Lunatic Fringe 3.0
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LunaticFringe Posted - 05/06/2018 : 19:44:43
'Still chomping at the bit to get the rig adapted and running! =)

'Still swollen and sore (a few cracked ribs, too) and dealing with trying not to bump my arm and knee into things. AAAAAAAAAAH!

I figure that I'll be tearing into the bike in about a week. I've been SO bored as I lay around, healing up.

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 05/02/2018 : 12:35:10
Thanks for the good wishes! 'Starting to feel a bit better, but tired of whacking my elbow on everything. D'oh!

I realize now that I cracked a couple of ribs on the left side, too, but they didn't separate. Whew!

I'm really looking forward to making the changes to the bike and back to riding. This is a minor set back.

Jeff
stix Posted - 05/01/2018 : 09:00:19
Jeff, all the best for a speedy recovery.

Stix

Peregrin on Birk (Birk Comet RT with full fairing)
Lightning F-40 (built around R-84 frame)
Soma Smoothie Upright
warren Posted - 04/30/2018 : 16:13:45
Oh no!!! Heal quickly Jeff!
Jerry Posted - 04/30/2018 : 15:54:51
I was riding up a 24 degree back country road in Missouri 3-4 years ago on my Lightning Phantom coroliner. I was about 90% of the way up the grade when I hit some loose chip seal and ice. Yeah, it was December. I went from 3.6 mph uphill to about 35 mph downhill and slid backwards into a ditch that was full of large boulders. Beat the hell out of me, but the fairing held up nicely. The helmet was toast. It took about an hour to get out from under the fairing and bike, and another 10-15 minutes to get out of the ditch. I had multiple bruises and several lacerations but was able to ride home. I wasn't able to ride the next several days though. The problem is, I still haven't learned my lesson! Lol.

I hope you have better luck the next time around. You already know what you want to change, this just speeded up that process! Ha.
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/30/2018 : 10:55:29
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Whoa nelly! Dang! Unfortunately I have been there and done that. Hope you are ok. The fairing can always be redone, it is the skin and bones that matters.

Thanks!

I am crazy-sore today, but REALLY thankful for the structural integrity of the main spars... and my helmet.

Jeff
Jerry Posted - 04/29/2018 : 20:55:57
Whoa nelly! Dang! Unfortunately I have been there and done that. Hope you are ok. The fairing can always be redone, it is the skin and bones that matters.
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/29/2018 : 20:33:00
Thanks, nickyfitz!

I'm here to report that I totally totaled the bike today. D'oh!

I grew to dislike the roof pretty quickly. I had almost decided to leave it at the truck since I knew that I needed a Streetliner-class roof for the race instead (open above the head).

While reaching up to mess around with its rear fitment, at speed, I caught a breeze in that unusual position and found that it wasn't a great idea to be caught like that. ;)

I couldn't recover in time and hit one of the railings that runs along the trail. I was going around 25 mph. The rig flipped, spun and skidded for about 40 feet. The orange head fairing ended up about 100 feet away, down in the dry river bed. A wild ride, for sure!

Those heavy-duty fiberglass-over-PVC pipe main spars acted just like a roll cage and kept the vehicle intact from front to back. It's the lighter spars that broke on the left side.

I'll be sore for a few days with big swelling below the elbow, a goose-egg on my head from smashing my helmet against the railing, too, and sore leg. OK, everything is sore on me. Bring on the wine!

I don't think that I want the frantic hustle of a rebuild prior to the Waterford Hills race at the end of May, especially being all sore and irritated with myself.

The race in Cedar Rapids gives me plenty of time to create the new flip-top roof that will be less annoying for me to use. It will also be usable for the Streetliner-class races. I'll also easily have the aero bits done for the underside. I'll have more time to get used to riding the bike.

I'm actually not THAT frustrated because I was already planning to make changes to the roof. I will also be reducing the front door frame support to be more open to the front so that emergency moves of the handlebar can be accommodated (turns of the handlebar out past the plane of the fairing). I already have the design going in my head and look forward to the fun of building it!

Even though the front fairing is crunched, it retains its original shape for the most part. The heavy duty mount that I made for it is quite robust!

Anyway, here are the pics. I'm alive and looking forward to more fun.

BTW... WEAR YOUR HELMETS. Remember to keep your arms and hands inside the ride at all times!

---

---

---

---

---

---

Jeff
nickyfitz Posted - 04/29/2018 : 01:47:43
Looks very sweet! I enjoyed following your original and craftsmanlike creation. Very nice work. Hope it rides as good as it looks!
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/28/2018 : 21:29:17
I put the rig onto the trailer for the first time tonight to get ready to hit the bike path early in the morning.

I need to make a drop-in filler for the tires to eliminate the chance of the bicycle's tires from shifting. For tomorrow, this will be fine since it is a local trip on 40 mph streets. I could ride to the trail, but I want to be prepared for a break-down and recovery. ;)

Perhaps I will build a cradle to support the bike on the trailer, too.

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/28/2018 : 13:17:31
SUCCESS! No knee contact issues.

Dear ol' Mom shot a couple of pics and a video of my first excursion and landing. She accidentally shot vertically and accidentally hit slo-mo on the pass video, but they're cool!

I'll start riding this thing with gusto on the local bike path, plus start working on an aero section for the underside, probably Monday.

Ride, baby, riiiiiiiiide...

---

---

Slow-mo video, probably seen best in full size since it was shot on the vertical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBd76-B4oI4

Landing video, also vertical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwcNpzDgXaw

Since it has an exposed 16" front wheel, I can still turn VERY sharply and reliably around obstacles. It remains to be seen how much speed I've gained, but it sure does go down the road easily.

Jeff
Tom Schneider Posted - 04/28/2018 : 08:42:00
Jeff,

Thank you. Downloaded their pdf.

Tom
Garrie L Hill Posted - 04/27/2018 : 21:51:28
Thank you, sir!

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

LunaticFringe Posted - 04/27/2018 : 21:35:17
I decided to make a custom Balsa wood spar that has extensions for the roof mounts. I fiberglassed over that prior to installation.

Garrie, I found that some of the Balsa wood had a label from the source. This pic is for you!

http://budnosenmodels.com/

Raw Balsa strut...

With fiberglass...

I got sneaky and placed the spar prior to removing the fabric. That allowed me to just trim it and glue it onto the new spar!

---

All done and painted. It took longer since I decided to not just do a straight spar, but not bad at just short of 4 hours for the major repair.

We'll see how it goes to sit and cycle in it tomorrow morning.

Jeff

LunaticFringe Posted - 04/27/2018 : 00:44:59
OK, the verdict is in... I eliminated the knee strike, but would still experience it if I had a lazy stroke, not controlling the path of my knee as well as could be.

The only thing that I can figure is that my exercise has grown some muscle... that I sit on. ;)

It is a design flaw to have had the dash spar above the knee. Doing so does not allow for physical changes in the motor. I had placed it there to keep the pilot opening as small as possible and still allow me to still stand straight up while getting in.

The fix is easy, though. I will move the dash spar forward by about 3" so that my knees can position below, equal in height, or higher than that spar, depending upon variables over time. It will take about an hour and a half to correct. I will remove the fabric in the dash area, cut out the formed spar that the roof mounts to, add a new straight spar where my arm is in the picture (possibly another inch forward of that), laminate some fiberglass across a section of Balsa wood, then apply new fabric and repaint.

It will solve the knee strike issue and look proper with correctly matching paint.

I suppose that I could have considered slightly shorter crank arms, but I use gee-whiz Schlumpf High Speed Drive cranks and I don't want to go messing with something expensive that works for me that I'm used to and like.

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/26/2018 : 22:00:17
Bad luck is what I had... HAH!

While looking at the cool dust pattern created by the static in the fabric, I buzzed a neat little hole in the door. No biggie, I timed the total replacement and painting of the door just to prove how fast the fabric work is. I could have patched it, but a total recover and paint job was almost effortless. The last pic is the stop watch from beginning to rip the original fabric off to being completely done and painted again.

Tomorrow morning, I'll sit in the rig again to see how the knees clear.

---

---

At the absolute worst, if I need to remove and raise the dashboard an inch, then recover the dash fabric, it's probably only about 90 minutes worth of work.

Jeff
warren Posted - 04/26/2018 : 21:14:43
Sweet! Good luck with the trimming!
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/26/2018 : 18:56:33
Ugh... minor adjustment time!

I hopped in to go on the maiden voyage and found that I now have a knee-strike issue at the dashboard. That did not reveal itself as a problem earlier, but things can change slightly with time, plus my butt has become more muscular with the workouts... perhaps I sit higher now as a result.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

All I need to do is to cut off about half of the dash tubing thickness in line with the knees and it should be good to go. I'll do that tonight, but I needed to step away from the bike and take a deep breath.

I will prevail!

I was so close to success! I had it out in the street and neighborhood people were freaking out, wondering what the heck I had in my possession.

---

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/26/2018 : 14:25:04
Thanks for the compliments, guys!

More to come, probably in a day or so.

Jeff
carolina Posted - 04/26/2018 : 09:54:08
Great build, you can build. I bet your thinking of next one.

velosRus.com
SpiderMonkey Posted - 04/26/2018 : 06:43:23
Awesome looking machine, and great documentation for prospective builder or just daydreamers.

--SpiderMonkey
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/25/2018 : 22:48:20
At some point tomorrow, I take LunaticFringe 3.0 for its first romp.

The following pics show me in the rig, testing how I like the positioning of roof prior to installing the mounts. They're attached now and workin' great.

---

Next up, the aero for the underside.

I bought polycarbonate and Coroplast in case they come in handy. I had the full coroplast sheet on top of my head inside of my Land Rover. Hah!

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/25/2018 : 13:49:16
After this paint dries, I'll install the roof and windscreen...

P-ZOW!

These colors visually vibrate like CRAZY in the sunshine! Aw-YEAH!

I'm diggin' this high-noon shadow profile.

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/24/2018 : 22:21:53
Well, if it hadn't taken FOREVER for my new tires to be put on, I'd have finished the paint job.

It will be done by tomorrow, though! ;)

The nose fairing will be orange with orange extending upward in a wide section toward the cockpit, plus an orange stripe along the bottom edge of the entire fairing (well maybe about half way back), about 4" thick, from the front orange nose to the rear. The rear most vertical spar at the tail will also have a vertical orange stripe.

Wahoo! I love how this orange and blue are such a vibrating blast of color.

---

---

Jeff
LunaticFringe Posted - 04/24/2018 : 11:57:51
quote:
Originally posted by Terry

Thanks for documenting all your experiences with this project.
When I get to it, I would like to try making a nose and tail for the wood WAW using similar methods.
Cool stuff!

You are very welcome! I’ve always enjoyed posting everything about any build that I’ve done so that others can learn along with me. Of course, like learning what to do, it helps to learn what to avoid. This is the first time that I have ever messed with fabric, which had always seemed foreign to me. I have a custom made recumbent motorcycle that will receive this fabric-over-frame aerodynamic treatment next. :)

Jeff

www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000