www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Velomobiles
 Carbon mold/tool for lower&upper enclosed velo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Quicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
carolina Posted - 05/15/2014 : 12:24:23
How l started. My airplane molds (BD-5) l own are used for cf velomobile unibody. Ideas/conversations are welcome: march-7-2015 [This past MAY has been 2 years].

My molds favor this shape:

velosRus.com
-----------------------------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
carolina Posted - 05/18/2021 : 09:58:12
test/mockup of igus (igus.com along with Rock West carbon products) bearings: these can be used in 4W velomobiles and the tilting velomobiels also.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 05/17/2021 : 19:32:51
17/May/2021 Rock West carbon products

https://youtu.be/f54j5c8Okbg
------------------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 05/07/2021 : 20:49:21
ordered more mavcoat mold release agent today, if you make molds its the winner.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 05/06/2021 : 01:20:30
haf ta zoom in alot on this post: Takes 4 or 5 days to layup lower by your self. Nothing like a velo carbon though.

This was the sold yellow velo, turned out strong and nice. Moving backwards with carbon. Just me/one person layups:

Now molds have been changed in floor, the tiny square chain canal is now a huge valley from nose to rear. Adds super strength. Easier to lay up. This mold is on rotisserie and makes 3 and 4 wheeler lower unibodies in carbon-innegra. Kevlar rear cowlings and upper unibody. All Kevlar layups has thin fiberglass dwn first. Innegra, is great too, invented in usa.

The 4 wheeler below, love it:

carolina Posted - 05/05/2021 : 16:51:31

Ran this truck million plus miles s.e. to s.w. twice a month ,, then after the bushees (lil' shrub) took fuel to $5.25 a gallon/$495 in tucson,,,,i did sell head rack and 6 car trailer, then bought a great 6 car enclosed trailer, (yes l did haul some nice stuff, yenco chevys, Ferraris Lotus and more) first load was 8 grand to socal, but fuel killed trucking and everyone, l went home , worked at ft bragg couple years then retired @ 62. Never looked back, do miss 10 car hauler, & enclosed also, miss my best job, huge money till lil' shrub.

Knew l had to ride but wanted to ride all months, then l started building carbon unibodies. Love it.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 05/05/2021 : 16:39:22

Found another mr florian schlumpf 2 speed (high speed drive) on ebay. After i did bafang on yellow velo i built and sold 2019, thought l would try another bafang on my 4 wheeler, but may end up later putting bafang on fat tire bike and put schlumpf on 4 wheeler later w/hilgo rear floor shifter back to 9 speed, or rohloff behind seat.

i use lunacycle.com for bafang stuff, extended wires, chargers, batteries. My personal batteries are made local.
--------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 04/21/2021 : 21:21:19
New mold for velotilt from wheel well:

https://youtu.be/1dIWmBOZUF0

Mold/tool turned out great. side B at wood shop, gotta wait a while.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 03/25/2021 : 08:38:36
neighbor & l finally finished insulation on shop addition, warm now with heat. Pace of building should pick up for the two molds of the two velomobiles.

update: at end of april, inspector signed off on insulation, said l did good job. Now to finish addition total and ready for last city inspection. Great to have the room/5-may-2021. Now l will go ride the velotilt.

-------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 03/21/2021 : 19:05:29
4 wheeler to city car: bafang, charger, battery, display, all here. Gotta quit putting it off and order the extended wires! Thats its! Oh and chain ring/ (adapter and belt ring for gates). Still have few days of insulation to put up in new shop addition. Just 16' x 16', less than half to complete.
---------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 03/21/2021 : 17:13:12
buffing rear wheel well molds. They had not been cleaned aftet use in Netherlands years ago.

Up above section of tech & building you can follow the thread of the velotilt.
-----------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 03/11/2021 : 18:31:51

a photo of the velotilt trike r&d machine built in Netherlands.
----------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 03/09/2021 : 20:39:20
Searched the earth for mini vices, The round swivel one from U.K., the split vice l made from china vice,, found on vid from university of youtube. Both are great for the lil mini mill.

---------------------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 03/08/2021 : 08:56:02
good info toecutter:

But this is newest of luna cycle dot com, all employees like this. They offer firmware nowdays to your laptop, and their bafangs are custom the way luna wants them. l bought the jail-broke motor for my four wheeler. 1000 watt and down.

l have ray that comes to shop to install mouser/parts-express music systems that are incredible,,, and wire harness's from velomobiel.nl,,, and bafangs from luna only. Ray and l make custom batteries/u can see above post on other pages, all this stuff is with photos above in thread.

no longer paint velos, unibodies come out of molds in primer,, lve gone to wrap instead of paint. I do paint door jams here at shop with 3 coats /my cordless airbrush. I leave carbon showing in pic below you see,, the wheel wells & up 4 or 5 inches. It clear duratec sunshield from california. That way u can manage the look of your dirty wheel wells and belly. So , its just wrapped from there up.. Wrap is great for advertisements and many other reasons.

velosRus.com
Toecutter Posted - 03/03/2021 : 11:35:08
Those Bafang displays, while they look pretty, are of questionable accuracy. I know someone who uses one and by the time the battery is three-quarters depleted, it still shows ~90% state of charge, then all of a sudden the charge starts rapidly dropping.

I'm very happy with the infinitely programmable Cycle Analyst I have. It is accurate to within roughly 5% at any given time. It just needs to be programmed properly for the specific type and configuration of battery pack. Accurate state of charge meters have always been a challenge for electric vehicle designers, but that one works. It not only keeps track of a battery chemistry's expected discharge curve, but also AH consumed, WH consumed, resting voltage, voltage while under load and the current it is loaded at, and uses a mathematical model to deliver an accurate state of charge reading based upon all of those parameters.

The only downside is it is not nearly as pretty as the ones Bafang offers. But I prefer functional to pretty, every time. When my gauge indicates it's at half charge, I am confident that it is very close to being at half charge.

In any event, it's fun watching your project come together. Your builds are awesome!
carolina Posted - 03/03/2021 : 07:16:57
Here the new display for the bafang , slide right on the bar, tighten up, put your grip on, then one color coated wire, full color! You can see on lunacycle.com. With a long velomobiel or velotilt you order their custom extended wires and your done. Their firmware is on your laptop nowdays. 750 to 1000 watts or more, 52 volt batteries and great "safe" chargers for dummies like me.

My wire geek ray has been helping me for 30 years+.
------------------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 03/03/2021 : 07:09:14
Made couple molds for rear mtnb shocks from china and SRAM rock shox too: Used in velotilt and any vehicle where you need. Cut them to length, narrow them if needed in laith then drill an tap for 8 mm rod-end bearings from ebay.

nice carbon extension part:

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 02/25/2021 : 19:36:26
dont know amp hour, its nice with mother board, l built carbon box, about like 7 grade book you hated to carry home.

never weighed my 4 wheeler quattrovelo. The quattrovelos can be 95 lbs w/no motor. City car, l love the 4 wheeler. Gonna put gocycle 50mm tires on frt and rear. Allerts design of the rear-end is off the hook incredible.

Dont have a clue what the velotilt l will make this year will weigh. Would like a 9 or 10 speed with schlumpf up front and no e-tilt or e-assist motor on it. But schlumpf rohloff aint bad either. They worked on cassette but never finished it. l would like to.

velosRus.com
Toecutter Posted - 02/25/2021 : 17:05:11
I'm located in Missouri.

What AH rating is the battery? Do you have the vehicle's weight with everything it needs to go, minus the rider?

Your builds are interesting, to say the least.

quote:
Originally posted by carolina

Toecutter: what state u in?

bafang can be 10 lbs., this a jailbroke 1000w.
52v battery 18650 cells. Prob 9 lbs..

county is flat with bafang. You can do 25,35,45,slower up hill. Im not an animal:)
----------

velosRus.com

carolina Posted - 02/25/2021 : 17:00:06
Toecutter: what state u in?

bafang can be 10 lbs., this a jailbroke 1000w.
52v battery 18650 cells. Prob 9 lbs..

county is flat with bafang. You can do 25,35,45,slower up hill. Im not an animal:)
----------

velosRus.com
Toecutter Posted - 02/25/2021 : 10:07:09
quote:
Originally posted by carolina

l love it, Its now a city car.,,,,, Take turns like its on rails, The quattrovelo rear-end that allert designed in netherlands is incredible and worth every penny. (twin air-bags, twin dampers, anti-sway bar, traction bar, cassette hub from tri-fit is genius. I do lots of experimental work on drive-lines even in the velotilts (l have 2). lm liking gates belts, they sponsor me which is great for experimental work. Front suspension struts (dr. earle macpherson /GM-chevy 1955 invented macpherson struts) now offer internal dampers and springs to for conventional velomobiles.

Been riding 4 wheeler long time, needs paint later. I dont need a bafang in it, but built a bafang in the yellow one last year 2019 for the doctor, learned alot,, my friend ray runs lunacycle firmware on his laptop. Bafang l bought is their hot rod version / jail broke,, 750/1000 watt.

First drive line l had in 4wheel was schlumpf, hilgo floor derailleur with 9 sp cassette. Thats light and smooth & all ya need. Had the pinion 18 speed gearbox up front one time. You can have big chain rings and never spin out with schlumpf & a gearbox. THE music system you would haf ta witness to understand, mouser exciters (4) from germany and bluetooth amp kit built by ray from parts express. If ya live in the city these things are great, saves gas over 12 months if ya use em.

How fast can it go with the motor on and also with the motor disabled, for both flat ground cruising speeds as well as top speed in a sprint.

What size battery pack does it have and what kind of range do you get and under what conditions?

How much does it weigh?

this is a really sweet build. If you ever get a business going and decide to hire help, I'd love to work on something like this!
carolina Posted - 02/25/2021 : 09:22:32
Homemade split vice is great: cut & machined my used hf cheap china vice.

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 02/25/2021 : 09:19:06
do your own welding, do all the machine work you can in your shop. Time & Money, gas going to these places. Since l do 90 to 95 % carbon l left aluminum. Chromoly steel is better and cheaper to weld & in house like stein trikes.

---------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 02/13/2021 : 16:54:30
https://youtu.be/BcQPmZjPwxE

bought a harbor freight mini laith: many mods and tips to do to them from youtube, but once complete the mini is great for any shop. ive had hf mill for years, they both pay for their self.

https://youtu.be/ylZl-Aimntk

Already making chip guards:

----------------------
This guy is "off the hook" "broke the chain" incredible too!

https://youtu.be/vlPbDBLhwdc

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 01/30/2021 : 13:19:28

cut up a pile if scrap carbon l always save in a baggie. Used a small 3"x 2&1/2" ebay ship box/waxed it inside then epoxy and carbon. Let cure over night or longer. l machined final part on my harbor freight mill and it s weight is 3&1/2 ounces. All carbon pieces save time and money.

the carbon parts are great, l paint with duratec clear sunshield.

-------------

velosRus.com
carolina Posted - 01/30/2021 : 13:12:57

2 free granite sink cutouts with mavcoat release agent on last night. Will make a 8"x13" carbon plate 1/4 inch thick today. You can too.
--------------

velosRus.com

www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000