Posted - 07/19/2009 :  02:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A local photographers' coverage of the event:
http://morristrm.zenfolio.com/p860159565
Go to Top of Page

WKiehler
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  17:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more world records were shattered here today. I'm sure that Mike M will be posting the results soon.
Go to Top of Page

DuncanWatson

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  20:13:39  Show Profile  Visit DuncanWatson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those pictures are great. I eagerly await the new results. Congrats to all record breakers.
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
337 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  20:48:37  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sunday was a perfect day for racing, with partial cloudy skies and relatively low wind.

What follows is my rough recollections. All figures may not be accurate as the timing records were left with Paul Pancella and or Mike Mowett.

Seven world records appear to have been set or reset.

The first event was complicated, with a mass start for people running the one hour, the 100K and the 100 Miles. Running in parallel with this was the world record attempt for six hours by Ellen and Hans.

Both Ellen and Hans set world records, with no previous serious women's attempt at this time, and Hans besting the previous record despite stopping briefly twice. Other things about the morning that I can remember are: a new world's record for one hour for an arm powered cycle, Richard Myers doing 100 miles in just over 3.5 hours (his goal was to get under 4 hours) at age 72(73?), a team on a screamer doing the full six hours, Wally and Bob K having fun cruising around the track without getting timed, and Barkley Henry attempting one hour late in the session with the low trike that was debuted at BM. He aborted after about half distance.

After this long session, there was one heat for the one hour attempt with Damjan and Sam. Damjan had two aborted launches before getting underway. Sam set a new one hour record of 90.4 kph, and hung on to set a new 100K record as well

The electrathon racers had a four car heat, and two cars beat the previous record by going more than 60 miles.

The final heat was with Thomas and at the last moment, Barbara also decided to have another go. She set a new one hour record of about 84 km, as well as a new 100K record. Everything wrapped up around 7 pm, with rain threatening from the west.

Fantastic effort by all, and kudos to Mike for getting access to such a fantastic venue.

Edited by - jnyyz on 07/20/2009 14:08:42
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2543 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  21:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jun.

We were all spoiled by the quick report + pictures on Friday night.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
337 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  21:31:36  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56062272@N00/sets/72157621718172092/
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3881 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  21:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Jun Reported many world records tonight.
Ellen van Vugt: 100 mile, 100 km, 6hour (WOMENS'S)
Hans 100 mile, 6 hour
Barbara 1 hour - Friday, 1 hour (again), 100 km
Sam: 1 hour, 100 km
Greg Westlake arm-powered: 1 hour
C. Michael Lewis, Dave Could (Steve Nash rider), Electrathon One Hour 3 of the 4 best Electrathon marks in history set at Ford Challenge.

It was an incredible weekend. 13 performances bettered existing world records, and or established new marks

Women's Hour record was broken twice by Barbara.

Two people broke the existing Electrathon One Hour mark, and on another occasion, they just missed breaking the exisiting mark, leaving the weekend with the 1,2,4th best marks in the Electrathon One Hour.

PERSONAL-BEST ONE-HOUR PERFORMANCE
Thomas van Shaik, Netherlands.
He reinjured his taped ankle and could not walk tonight. 9 laps * (4.999456608 miles) + 1.1 miles (not 1.3 as originally reported, we found his marker at 1.1) + 369 feet 1/2 inch =
46.1650 miles, 74.2955 km

WOMEN'S ONE HOUR WORLD RECORD
Barbara Buatois, France
She broke her women's hour record set Friday night
10 laps * (4.999456608 miles) + 2.2 miles + 69 feet, 7 inch =
52.2077 miles, 84.0204 km - NEW WORLD RECORD!!
She moves to 4th fastest One-Hour person ever

MEN'S ONE HOUR WORLD RECORD
Sam Whittingham, Canada
He broke the men's world hour record in an incredible duel with Damjan. He caught and passed Damjan, the record holder. Sam gets his 5th hour record.
11 laps * (4.999456608 miles) + 1.3 miles + 4 feet, =
56.2948 miles, 90.5978 km - NEW WORLD RECORD!!

ARM-POWERED ONE-HOUR RECORD * NEEDS TO BE CHECKED
Canadian Greg Westlake rode 5 laps (with measured centerline distance of 8034.37 km). This equals 40171.85 meters ridden. Total time = 1:12:39.885 (1hr, 12 min, 39.885 sec) for an average speed of 20.61102 mph = 33.17029 kph. The average speed becomes the officially recognized hour distance. Greg was running in the mass-start one-hour. If we had run him in a record session, we would have thrown a chalk bag at the conclusion of his one-hour attempt, and perhaps he would have had an even higher average speed.
Builder / Designer / Crew: Mike Sova, Ivan Samila, Colleen Dalgliesh. All are from Canada
Motion Concepts of Canada was a supporter of this attempt.
The Avos Arrow is a fully faired tricycle.

ELECTRATHON ONE-HOUR #2 BEST PERFORMANCE
Cloud Electric, Dave Cloud, Builder, Steve Nash, Driver
He broke C.Michael Lewis previous record of 58 miles.
12 laps * (4.999456608 miles) + 0.9 miles + 190 feet, =
60.9295 miles, 98.0567 km - Broke old World record of 58 mile!!

ELECTRATHON ONE-HOUR WORLD RECORD
C. Micheal Lewis, Builder & Driver
He broke his own previous record of 58 miles.
12 laps * (4.999456608 miles) + 2.0 miles + 321 feet, =
62.0543 miles, 99.8669 km - Broke old World record of 58 mile!!

MEN'S 100 KM WORLD RECORD * NEEDS TO BE CHECKED
Sam Whittingham, Canada
13-laps = 104.746 km = 65.086 miles
Time = 1:11:7.66
Avg speed = 88.358 kph = 54.90332 mph - NEW 100 KM WORLD RECORD
Projected 100 km tme = 1:07:54.31

WOMEN'S 100 KM WORLD RECORD * NEEDS TO BE CHECKED
Barbara Buatois, France
13-laps = 104.746 km = 65.086 miles
Time = 1:18:45.49 ?? <-- may be too long
Avg speed = 82.766 kph = - NEW 100 KM WORLD RECORD
Projected 100 km tme = 1:15:11.40 ?? <---need to verify

We're still crunching results!! Thanks to all for making this event a success! I am tickled that you could come to this 1st time competition. You made alot of people happy with these outstanding efforts and records.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 07/23/2009 21:49:17
Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

671 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  21:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really fantastic! congratulations to everybody !
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  04:33:18  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, what about the Canadian dude on the Catrike Expedition in the hour mass start? The current highest verifiable trike mark is Ian Fardoe on his Catrike 700 at CV 2009, on the 1.17km crse for a distance of 32.76km. What was Steve's (I think that's his name) distance after the hour calculated out to be?
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3881 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  06:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,
We'll try to get up results by maybe tomorrow - right now they are in suitcases, peoples memories (ahhh!!), on computer timing strips, and everyone is traveling.
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  06:41:50  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's cool man. I was just wondering how many of the numbers had been crunched. Also, at the same time even, I haven't been able to find any officially measured ride distances and times for a trike on a century or M century either. I think Steve did one of those too on Sunday, didn't he?
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
337 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  07:13:20  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More pictures by Tim Potter (from Saturday) here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/flyingdutchman63/MichiganHPVSpeedChallengeTheFordProvingGrounds71809?feat=directlink
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
337 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  07:22:28  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 25hz

Yeah, that's cool man. I was just wondering how many of the numbers had been crunched. Also, at the same time even, I haven't been able to find any officially measured ride distances and times for a trike on a century or M century either. I think Steve did one of those too on Sunday, didn't he?

all the non six hour distances on sunday morning were measured with the transponder system, and that laptop is with Luke right now.

Edited by - jnyyz on 07/20/2009 07:23:20
Go to Top of Page

Team-Mom
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  09:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the first time ever I was invited out to be a crew member with a team of great guys who have spent the last couple of years building a hand powered streamliner. According to everyone's accolades, this vehicle was something special, and our bi-lateral amputee who had only gotten into the trike for the second time on Saturday morning for the 200 meter run, was AMAZING!

You guys have been doing this for years and here a newcomer comes out to test his incredible will and strength with a new trike that had not yet been proven – he paid his dues, went to the back of the pack, seemingly was courteous on the track – beat the world record, even after having to stop and put his chain back on and there is nothing said in this forum, or on the Ford/Michigan Human Powered Speed Challenge site, nothing!!!!

I am so upset and disappointed in your behaviour toward Greg – yes, I have read how hard you guys have worked to put this on, but you bit off a lot more than you could chew. You knew since January this streamliner would be involved, a handicapped person riding… how often has this happened? Is this not an achievement of some note? From a Canadian perspective, Greg Westlake could bring a lot of attention to this and other events with human powered vehicles – he is a Canadian Paralympics’ Athlete with a lot of people watching him and here we can’t even get a mention on any of these websites or receive any due recognition for breaking a world record!
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  09:54:11  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After the racing on Saturday, I missed the opportunity to congradulate Greg at the track. When I saw him standing there at the 10 PM meeting, for some reason, I didn't think it was him as he didn't look as big and musclular to me as he did at the track. Thankfully, I got the opportunity to meet him and talk to him at the track on Sunday. Being old and crotchety, it's easy to say "kid" when referring to Greg just because of age, but he's far from a kid. He's a man, and a very talented one to boot. In just a few short minutes, after only a very short time in anything like that streamliner he raced, he explained some very interesting and deep details about the most efficient methods he had found to power his machine, and his insight and savy were obviously spot on. I can hardly wait to see what he can accomplish when he gets more time in the seat. While I will be the first to say that I know little to nothing about sledge hockey, just from seeing his accomplishments and experiencing his courtesy and intelligent conversation, he's one more reason to be proud of my country. An ambassador on a number of different levels and at a young age, to boot.

As for the low key reaction to his record, there could be a lot of reasons for it, but I was under the impression that something was going to be done for him, and about him, on Sunday. As I had to leave around noon, I missed it. I sort of thought the acknowledgment/reaction for Barb's record run was sort of low key as well. I have seen other people set world, and track records in my few HPRA attendances, and they have all been sort of "low key", and maybe that's the way bent riders do it. From what I've seen, most all the racers race, because they enjoy the events, the effort and the people and the results are tertiary. Not that I think Greg raced for glory or praise, in fact, I think his attitude and enthusiasm are a perfect match for the rest of the bent racers' motivations, but that might partially explain the low key reaction to records. At the same time though, I've never been witness to what the record celebrations are like at something like Battle Mountain.

Here's a little background on his sledge hockey exploits though.
http://www.paralympic.ca/page?a=238&lang=en-CA&profileId=39389
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Xzrx4A9fy4g/Paralympic+Winter+Games+Day+Eight/M_5dUip5tez/Greg+Westlake
http://www.oakvillebeaver.com/news/article/210051
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/60699/la_id/1.htm
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/60207/la_id/1.htm

Hopefully the record reaction doesn't dissuade him from coming out to other events because in my experience, the Ford race wasn't typical in operation or atmosphere to the other HPRA races I've been to.
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1881 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  09:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, since I need to uphold my rep as Chief SOB, Team Mom, I'd like to point you to
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/fordchallenge2009/ . This is the address for the official event web page. Take a moment and notice how many racer's results are posted. Not many. Why? Because the organizers and many, many of the racers are still on their way home! You are reading this on the discussion forum, not the event web page. I think you owe the folks like Mike Mowett, Sean Costin, and Warren Beauchamp an apology for jumping salty. They have been staying up very late every night to post unofficial results, while still "herding cats" and keeping the event running against all odds. Nobody was slighted. You and your team are simply one of many participants at the Ford meet. Bide a bit, with everybody else, and the results will be posted at the official site, as was the original plan. Oh, you might like to know that a fair number of the "... you guys ..." you castigate were not even at the event!

BTW, I notice that you could not be too concerned about what was going on, since you neglected to post under your real name.

Garrie L. Hill

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/

Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

671 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  10:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Team Mom,
please give me direct contact info for your team

Al Krause
EVP IHPVA
a.krause(at ) sbcglobal.net
7 zero 7 44 3 826 one

I want your story...!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Myers
recumbent enthusiast

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  10:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW just a minuet Mom
I just got finished looking at lots of pictures of your hand crank liner and personally welcomed him to our group.Telling him " you are a good addition to our group " and his accomplishments was listed in the results. As I recall the promoters made an exception for him not having rear view mires. I hope we see Greg at our races and want to personally invite Greg to Xenia Ohio to race Oct 24 and 25. The 23 we will have a trike / bent tour which his entire team is invited even if you ride an upright.

Richard Myers
Xenia, Ohio
http://tinyurl.com/3445gr
Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

671 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  11:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Team Mom, my email to you bounced,
please contact me thanks

Al
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
293 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  11:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running an event like the one at the Ford venue for the first time is an extremely difficult undertaking. The organisers and volunteers deserve a lot of credit and I give them my thanks. The weather made organizing the event a nightmare and limited track time.

Almost all of the racers trying for records were well known and had established reputations and proven abilities in the disciplines they were competing in. Greg Westlake came to the event without such a reputation and I only had knowledge of him and the rest of his team because they built the streamliner ten minutes from where I live. I think it is natural to assume that athletes with previous records and a known pedigree in the events they are competing in might be given a greater chance of succeeding in their record attempt and, as a result, be given more attention.

In Greg’s case, with so little previous time in the unproven streamliner, I wouldn’t have given him much of a chance of succeeding although I certainly didn’t tell Mike Sova that. If I were one of the race organisers and a choice had to be made between giving Greg a chance to attempt a record and another proven rider, I would have chosen the proven rider.

I do have to agree with Team-Mom (who does identify herself in her profile), based on what I heard and saw, that, once established, Greg’s record did not get as much attention as some of the others. I wish that that had not been the case but I don’t believe that anyone intended to slight Greg or his accomplishment. A lot was going on and too few people were doing too much work.

Once the dust settles a bit and people catch their breath, the record books will show Greg’s record. Now that I have spoken to him and know him a bit better, I am confident in saying that if he chooses to make another record attempt he stands an excellent chance of breaking his own record.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2543 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  12:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...so THAT'S what Mike Sova's been up to. Battle Mountain in the plan, too?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

671 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  12:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just spoke with Mike.
He said yes they do plan to go to Battle Mountain.
I am really looking forward to it. Go Greg! Go Team!

Go to Top of Page

Team-Mom
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  13:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers. All things considered we were very happy to participate and appreciated the opportunity.

You will see us again!

Thank you for the support you have shown through this forum for Greg, Ivan and Mike... they have done a wonderful job.

and always remember.... don't tick off a mom
Go to Top of Page

mikes
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  13:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just like to congratulate Greg,
and thank everyone who made this possible, you know who you are.

Mike Sova.
Go to Top of Page

mikes
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  13:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p.s. congratulations are also in order to Barbara, Hans, Ellen and that other guy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000