deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  10:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - n/a on 06/15/2011 20:36:31

warren
human power expert

USA
6454 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  11:02:40  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is pretty. It's looks pretty small though. Probably no room for mongo legs.

I just started training inside last night. Probably no more bicycle commutor days for a while.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3476 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  11:32:04  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was a stimulating ride to work this morning. 4F at Aurora. Not much clearance for snow on that trike, maybe that's why they are called trisleds.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

lowracer
recumbent enthusiast

126 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  13:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan

This one looks rather nice for days like today with 12ļ below zero wind chill.
No need for a stinkin basement watt-O-matic to train with when one of these puppys will do the trick in freezing winter temps.

Hey that would work for the Winter rides, no fear of toppling over and road rash. Wanna go test ride it?
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3476 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  14:35:06  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alan, You probably get a better workout at the Y than outside on a day like today. I Really have to limit breathing so throat doesn't freeze.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

803 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  14:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it. Are they available? My crude winter commuter is starting to show age. 94/95 and 96/96 bare, since then the coroplast shell. Road salt in northern Minnesota, too.

http://www.velomobiling.com/gallery/Velomobile1/projects/WinterSolutions/

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3476 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  15:57:44  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This guy must not live ion the snow belt, with white coroplast.

quote:
Originally posted by teubner

I like it. Are they available? My crude winter commuter is starting to show age. 94/95 and 96/96 bare, since then the coroplast shell. Road salt in northern Minnesota, too.

http://www.velomobiling.com/gallery/Velomobile1/projects/WinterSolutions/

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

803 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  17:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I only ride the trike when roads are icy, and this was my first Coroploast work, and I didn't know any better and, and, and (it just never occured to me). In any case, at the times I ride it is usually dark, so the big retroreflective chunks and lighting are much more useful than any passive color.

I made up for it with my summer trike. This one is only out in the daylight until I get some retro and lights:

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/Teubner/orangeII.htm

Edited by - teubner on 12/05/2008 17:40:05
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  05:45:36  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, like a soap box derby car. I happened into a derby once on a ride, they could easily out coast the carp. Can you tell us about handling between the two styles of trikes.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

ncaudio
recumbent enthusiast

203 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  05:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad, It looks good, with the overall shape and upturned tail in profile it looks like something with the code name F-bomb that should be hanging from the bottom of a WW II bomber on a secret mission (of course it would have to be a darker color). Do you have any road test feedback? How wide is it at the shoulders with a 17" wide nose? It looks like you used an aluminum lawn chair frame at the seat position as a hoop for fairing support, how did you bend the tubing to the angle it's at? (greater than 90 degrees) without creasing/flattening it. Lawn chairs seem to be a good cheap (especially when people throw them out) source of lightweight alumium, but I haven't figured out a way to bend the tubing.
Go to Top of Page

ncaudio
recumbent enthusiast

203 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  06:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teubner

Actually, I only ride the trike when roads are icy, and this was my first Coroploast work, and I didn't know any better and, and, and (it just never occured to me). In any case, at the times I ride it is usually dark, so the big retroreflective chunks and lighting are much more useful than any passive color.

The semi transparent coroplast works great for winter lighting with a light inside the shell, there are better examples with coroplast, but this one shows the concept in action:

http://www.lightningriders.com/
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

803 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  12:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had this whole thing written out before, but had some finger trouble and lost it all. So doing it in Word first.

Handling: Both trikes without a shell are difficult to tip, because you can lean your body to the inside in a turn. The tadpole Trice is inherently more stable in corners that the delta Orange because of the vectors involved when you start to scrub off velocity in a hard turn. When I first was riding the Trice, I was doing 15-20 mph u-turns on the highway, but also repairing or replacing front wheels often. Since then, I have started to ride more old-farty, and havenít damaged anything. Iíve never tipped the Trice, but have had it on two wheels a couple times, and it handled predictably and recovered. I have tipped the Orange, and it happened when cornering on a sharp right-hand turn, and then having to turn abruptly into the turn. Been tip-toeing since then. Need to work my way back up.

Aero: The Trice has a cab (operator protection), the Orange has a fairing (non-structural aerodynamic improvement). Speeds on the Trice seem to be neither damaged nor improved by the cab. For comparison, these are my average relative speeds for a 40 or 50 mile loop:
Trice w/cab 16 mph
Orange with wheel discs, with or without nosecone: 18
Orange with discs, full shell 22
Speed Ross with fairing 26
M5 Lowracer 20

Lawn Chair Tubing as Rear Shell Support: Existing bends were bent farther on a tubing bender at work. Caused some creases or cracks at the bends, but the cracks were TIGed to keep from running, and I never use that stuff for structural applications. I have no idea how to bend that without creasing it.

Width: the top flat of Orange is 16", and my shoulders (with arms to the front) are 16.5". Orange II is Coroplast (compared to the carbon fiber of the Orange Varna) because I consider Coroplast a superior material for a practical street vehicle. The rear fairing support hoop is 18" wide, and the Coro forms around it nicely, and leavs me a lot of room.

Edited by - teubner on 12/06/2008 12:37:20
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3476 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  05:37:20  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To bend thin wall tube, they put something inside to make it think that it's thick. I have used a garage door springs on the inside and outside, but not on tubing as thin as lawn chairs. It usually ends up with slight corrugations on the inner radius due to the large spring wire. I have read where wax is used to fill the tube, but I haven't tried this. Sand doesn't work as well as the springs. I have used black poly irrigation tubing for coroplast supports that can be formed with heat.

22 is not bad for 50 miles, Have you timed the coro-faired delta Orange yet?

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

803 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  05:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "full shell" number is for the Orange delta with full Coro fairing. I was calling it Orange II to differntiate it from the Orange Varna delta, but since the Orange Varna is no longer a trike, I've dropped the II.
Go to Top of Page

PoiterH

Australia
65 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  16:03:46  Show Profile  Visit PoiterH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a bender for 7/8" aloominum tubing with a 1.4mm wall.
Bends 90 degrees or more around the steel 6" form.
Has a smaller profiled 1.5" form that tightens up against the tube.
Made many sets of U handlebars with this bender.
No real creasing or weakening and no internal springs etc needed.
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  18:57:41  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have bent thinwall tubing by using plugs, water and a freezer. Freeze the water inside the tubing, and make your bends real fast before the ice melts.

Opus

My gas is up to $.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 20 miles to the regular burrito.
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

803 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  19:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lawn chair tube I measured was 0.029" or 0.74mm wall. I could (probably will) try bending with ice; it would require quite a bit of tape as lawn chairs have a lot of holes in them. 8-) We have a freezer at work large enough to put a vehicle in that is usually kept at -20F (-30C), and if I put the tubing inside a piece of pipe insulation between the freezer and the bender (200 feet), and if I have everything planned ahead of time (marks on the pipe and such). It certainly is worth a try. I just don't need anything bent now. 8-(
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  04:41:44  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wet sand works well to bend thin wall tubing too. Just tap the pipe with the wet sand in it to make sure it is packed well. I have found that the freezer/ice method sometimes reduces the ductility of Al enough that the tubing cracks. Maybe I'm getting it too cold or just doing it wrong, even with nice big radii.
Go to Top of Page

lowracer
recumbent enthusiast

126 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  12:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tuesday might be the day to take a trip to Stevens Point if weather is good.

quote:
Originally posted by lowracer

quote:

This one looks rather nice for days like today with 12ļ below zero wind chill.
No need for a stinkin basement watt-O-matic to train with when one of these puppys will do the trick in freezing winter temps.

Hey that would work for the Winter rides, no fear of toppling over and road rash. Wanna go test ride it?

No Tuesday trip with the Winter storm approaching.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3476 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  15:45:16  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the delta trike tippy because the CG it so far forward, half the weigh is on the front. On the tadpole, at least 2/3 is on the front wheels.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

dogbittenear

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  12:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does this cool recumbent keep you from road rage?
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Chuck Norris on wheels
recumbent enthusiast

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  13:44:11  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Norris on wheels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you run into Tina Turner, tell her we could use some fresh air down here...

Buddum bum

(cymbal clash....grab)

TS

Go to Top of Page

ncaudio
recumbent enthusiast

203 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  13:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan,

I was thinking something more like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/Terminator2poster.jpg

Maybe a holster behind the seat,handy it anyone cuts you off or you want a riding partner in front of you to go faster or not stop too fast.

Edited by - ncaudio on 12/22/2008 13:47:33
Go to Top of Page

Chuck Norris on wheels
recumbent enthusiast

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  13:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Norris on wheels's Homepage  Reply with Quote

We can't forget the possible need to outrun a hail of gunfire from behind:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/WaterRocket-powered-bike_76420.htm

To be used only in extreme emergencies.

TS

Edited by - Chuck Norris on wheels on 12/22/2008 14:05:59
Go to Top of Page

ncaudio
recumbent enthusiast

203 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  18:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Roger,
I want to get a Danny Trejos utility belt for Xmas. That will keep me safe on the big city roads.

quote:
Originally posted by ncaudio

Alan,

I was thinking something more like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/85/Terminator2poster.jpg

Maybe a holster behind the seat,handy it anyone cuts you off or you want a riding partner in front of you to go faster or not stop too fast.

Alan, that made me laugh out loud, can we talk Icon into making a combination limited edition Danny Trejos utility belt field short. "Offering you protection from the road AND anything else you might encounter"
Go to Top of Page

trsnrtr
recumbent enthusiast

257 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  08:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suggest that every one get this for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/1400049628/sr=8-1/qid=1230049099/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books&qid=1230049099&sr=8-1

Edited by - trsnrtr on 12/23/2008 08:20:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000