Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  09:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK so I decided to clean up the frame and get it painted.

I first dismantled everything.

Then I sanded and cleaned up all the brazed joints where modifications were made to the main frame. I know the second rule in frame building is That Once the Frame is Painted an Obvious Modification will be Required. I am willing to accept that and I have extra paint!

Here is the main frame and battery support painted blue and drying.

I next gathered up all the other supports and brackets and non-aluminum suspension parts. They were also cleaned up.

I painted these parts silver to match the brushed aluminum on the struts and steering.

I will give there parts a couple of days to cure before reassembling the chassis. Back to getting the body ready for paint.

Rick

Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

796 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2011 :  13:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I reassembled after painting, I kept track all of the tools used and have a functionally equivalent set in the bike. Most of the standard stuff my bike multi-tool covers, but not the 1/4 Allen, 7/16 nuts, and a couple different Torx.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  14:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad
Thanks that is a great tip. I have a special set of hex-keys that I use but not the wrenches.

Rick

Edited by - rickmantoo on 08/09/2011 14:06:02
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  16:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I finally got some time to work on the final assembly of the velomobile frame.
I set the frame on my work table and cleaned up all the internal threads. I taped any external threads so they were not painted.

I then started to do the final assembly of the pieces. I used locking nuts where ever I could on the suspension parts and blue LocTite every where else

Here is the rear of the frame right before I installed the intermediate drive and electric motor.

I kept going and did not take any more assembly pictures.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  16:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the frame is assembled and I have had it out on a couple of shake down runs. Still some small adjustments but it is running good.

Here is a side view of the completed frame.

Here is a view looking at the front suspension.

Here is a closer look at the front a-arm mount and the steering arm and tie rods.

Here is the handle bars as viewed from the seat. I still need to add the switch for the turn signals.

Here is a view of the electric motor and the intermediate drive. I need to find a slightly longer bottombracket the the 113mm one I am currently using needs to be longer to help with the chain alihnment.

Here is the lower seat mount. The seat tube rotates in the delrin bushings

And here is the rear seat mount that uses a front wheel skewers to make the connections.

The battery box still needs the final paint and a better disconnect swith.

Last picture is the mounting and the brackets for the Rholoff Hub and disk break.

Next back to the Body to get that ready for Paint and graphics. I will be riging the frame around to make sure I sort out any additional bugs.

Rick W

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  18:48:11  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very pretty!
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

796 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  19:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got some nice handlebar mount switches (google image "polaris 4110040" to get an idea of the package).
Simialr to item J on this page: http://www.fullthrottletahoe.com/fullthro/publicstore/images/catalog-specs/09SnowPages/09Snow%20270.pdf
The problem is that mine are 3-wire OFF-LO-HI so are mot intuitive for turn signals. Let me know if you want one.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  08:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad
Thanks for the offer. I have a 3-position switch that is from an e-bike. It alteady has R and L marked on the switch. I just need to make a mounting bracket for it and the break light switch (which I stll need to find)

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2011 :  14:40:45  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I LOLed at the warning label on that battery box!

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  05:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opus

Now that CERN has the Large Hadron Collider running the antimatter is a little easer to get.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

jjackstone
recumbent enthusiast

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  09:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye laddie, and where do ya keep the di-lithium crystals?
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  12:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you should ask about the Crystals, I have been having one hell of a time trying to get them to work with the parts I got at the Area 51 Surplus Store.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

796 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  16:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
That's because the Area 51 stuff has left hand twist on the molecular structure. I think that Garrie Hill has a device to correct that problem so at least you can get adhesives to stick.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3800 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  18:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick I'm surprised you don't have some of this on that machine of yours.. "Transparent Aluminum!, that's the ticket laddie, Now is that worth sumthing to ya?"

- Scotty from Star Trek when they go back in time to save the whales and Earth
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  16:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I finally was able to get the body painted. I used rattle cans (Krylon)and it turned out pretty good.

I first painted the body yellow.

I then painted some orange around the wheel wells.

I then masked out the center section, and painted it red

Here is the finished painted body

I am going to let the paint dry for a day or so and then I will install the frame and finish up the wiring.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  17:23:45  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks really nice Rick, nobody should be able to give you you the "I didn't see you" excuse...

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2011 :  07:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren
Thanks for the comment. I am planning on having it all together and working for the Ohio races this weekend.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

lucky8matt
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  12:53:28  Show Profile  Visit lucky8matt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rickmantoo

Warren
Thanks for the comment. I am planning on having it all together and working for the Ohio races this weekend.

Rick

do you have your website up with the foam skeleton plans yet or can I buy them off you thanks???
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  06:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. lucky...

I do not have the template files posted on line. If you like you could send me a PM and we can discuss getting you the files.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  18:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to working on the wiring for the lighting on the velo. I mounted the turn signals and the rear stop/brake lights. There is a clear plastic cover that will finish off the tail lights.

Here is picture of the rear of the vehicle.

I then ran the wires on the inside inside 3/8" plastic split housing to a spot on the back side of the left wheel well.

I made a cardboard template of the switch housing and made it big enough to house the signal flasher and terminal strip.

I then made the final housing out of aluminum sheet. I will paint it black.

The next step was mounting the terminal block and connecting the wires. I has to install several connectors so I could disconnect the power and the handle bar controls from the body when I removed the frame.

Here is a picture of the in progress wiring.

A switch was mounted on the brake lever to trigger the brake lights.

Here is a picture of the handle bar controls for turn signals and tail light with a button for a future horn.

Here is the completed switch box. the silver box below is a 24 volt to 12 volt DC-DC converter.

And while I was at it I added a water bottle holder on the back of the right wheel well.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  17:24:50  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dang, now you have just as fine a product as Aptera had before they folded up shop, except that you don't need a government loan for 150 million dollars to stay solvent.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  06:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren
The vehicle is turning out nice. Still have to get the headlight controls working. I could go into business building something better then this for about 1/50 of that price. But I would have to do an around the word fact finding mission first.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  06:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" But I would have to do an around the word fact finding mission first."

And, since that would be such exhausting work, Rick would need two weeks at the end of the tour to recuperate... in Hawaii!!

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  06:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" But I would have to do an around the word fact finding mission first."

And, since that would be such exhausting work, Rick would need two weeks at the end of the tour to recuperate... in Hawaii!!

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  07:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garrie

Did not think about the recovery period, Very good point! Maybe not Hawaii but maybe Cancun.

Rick
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000