Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

ckaudio
recumbent enthusiast

130 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  20:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick, so when do you want to go for a velo ride? I've been putting lots of miles in the quest lately. The colder weather is kinda ideal for riding!
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  15:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris
Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner, I have been out of town. Yes we should try and get together and ride. I have not been out all that much like you.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

paul-n
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  22:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there

I have been watching your build for some time and it is very impressive.

As soon as I am retired [ 10 months with a bit of luck ! ]I want to attempt a velomobile build , by building a trike as per you and J.Tetz and then probably a wooded frame with stringers and model aircraft covering [ my current comfort zone ].

Could you please tell me where you got the springs & elastomer's from in your original suspension ?

Was it a geometry problem that caused the bump steer issues ? John has not reported this problem.

Sadly I am in the UK so will have some problem finding equivalents I think, although I do know ICE trike's advertise elastomer's for their models available separately.

regards Paul
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  10:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul

Thanks for checking in on the project it is almost complete.

The the suspension springs I used are die springs from McMastar Carr, You should be able to get something like I used in the UK. I used the same springs in both suspension setups. The main issue with the sliding pilar suspension in my opinion was not being able to get the tie rods to piviot in the same arc the king pins were moving. Good luck on your project and start a build log so we can watch as you build.

Rick

Edited by - rickmantoo on 12/21/2011 11:35:02
Go to Top of Page

ckaudio
recumbent enthusiast

130 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  14:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rickmantoo

Chris
Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner, I have been out of town. Yes we should try and get together and ride. I have not been out all that much like you.

Rick

Thats ok, you've got electric assist so lack of riding shouldn't be too much of an issue I wouldn't think....
Now we just have to find some time probably on a weekend so we can do a ride. Cant be this weekend or probably the next weekend due to the holidays so into january then as long as the weather holds out and we don't get a bunch of snow dumped on the roads.
Go to Top of Page

paul-n
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  22:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rickmantoo

Paul

The the suspension springs I used are die springs from McMastar Carr, You should be able to get something like I used in the UK.

Rick

Rick

Never heard of them before but yes they are available in the UK , I assume you took a guess of the finished weigh with you on board and divided it by 3 for the spring rating ? Or is it more complicated than that ? I seem to remember you referring to the springs as medium and you could go harder ? Does the colour mean anything ? they all seemed to have different colours ?

regards Paul

ps sorry for all the questions
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2011 :  14:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul

Yes I just guessed on the capacity of the springs i needed between 75-100 lb/in of compression and about 1 1/2" travel. so far they appear to be working just fine for me. The color of the springs corresponds to their capacity.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2011 :  14:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK so I did some work on the headlight for the velomoble. I made a bracket that the Magicshine 900 lumen Light will bolt to and could be attached to the velo. The bracket has a thumb sctew adjuster to adjust the tilt of the light and I will attach a brake cable to remotely turn the light off and on.

Here is a picture with the light mounted in the nose of the velomoble. You can see the brake cable that pulls on a rod that pushes on the light button.

The cable comes back to the left fender and is attached to a bracket. I still need to make a knob of some sort to go over the cable to make it easer to pull.

While the vehicle is in the garage I found it very convent to move it around by lifting up in the back by the rear tail light. So when I put the tail light lens on the handle went away.
Here is a picture of how I was lifting the back of the velo.

Here is a picture of the new slot I added to the back. I will make some sort on inside piece someday.

Here is the tail light lens installed

The last thing I did was finish cutting the coroplast for the rear wheel covering.

Rick

Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2011 :  16:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to do some more of the little things on the velo.

Where the frame goes through the wheel wells there is a large opening that I need to fill in, I also have to make it removable so I can get the frame in and out of the body.

Here is a picture of one of the openings.

So I made some cardboard patterns and traced them out on some 1/2" thick zote foam. I then cut them out about 3/8" bigger on all sides.

Once the piece was cut out I used my vibratory saw and cut a 3/8" deep slot all around on the outside edge. This slot will slide over the edge of the opening.

I then fitted the piece in the opening to close it off. This side needa a little triming to fit better around the frame.

Here is a view at the bottom where the suspension and steering arms are.

Here is a view from the out side in the wheel well. Worked pretty well and the foam still gives a little during steering and suspension travel.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2011 :  17:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another part of the project I have been working on for a while. I decided I needed ( wanted) a roof/top for the velomoble. I could of just gone out a ordered a Flevlo roof but what would be the fun in that. So I drew up a shape similar to the Flevlo and created some patterns. I printed the patterns out and cut the shaped out of some 3/4" thick Styrofoam.

I then assembled the skeleton and started to cover with 1/2" thick strips of foam just like the rest of the velomoble.

Once all the strips were glued on I sanded and covered with 2 layers of 8 oz fiberglass.

I then covered the plug with several layers of plastic wrap and laid up 2 more layers of glass. Once that cured I removed the the thin shell from the plug and mounted it on the body with some 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide aluminum strips for the front struts and velcro so it could be removed.

I painted it red to match the top of the body and attached the window with some plastic rivets.

Here is a side view with the top on.

Here is a frontish view.

Time to take it out for a ride.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  14:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I returned from my ride with a rubbing-clunking sound coming from the right front wheel well when I made turns. I also had a my first flat tire! When it rains it snows here. So I fixed the flat and discovered that the epoxy joint between the 2-parts of the strut housing failed on the right strut and the parts were shifting about 20 degrees out of alignment.

Here is a picture of the failed epoxy joint.

So I dismantled both front struts to see what happened and develop a fix. It looked like the epoxy only bonded to the upper strut tube and not to the lower piece. So I cleaned off the old epoxy and prepared to etch the aluminum before rebounding. I will also add some screws to mechanically fasten the pieces together.

Here the strut bodies before etching. The left strut was not broken so I will just add some machine screws to that one,

Here is a picture of the ends of the strut in the etch solution. Not sure I did this the first time around.

I drilled and taped 3 holes about 120 degrees apart around the strut.

Here is the left strut with the SS machine screws installed. After 24 hours I will do the same to the right strut

I then reassembled the strut and installed them back on the velo. Will have to wait until it stops snowing to take it for another ride.

I also added a handle to the head light switch cable. It is one of my dogs a practice golf balls ( she is a 3 handicap) at lest the color matches.

The last thing I did was start to make a pattern so I can make some wheel cover for the front wheels. Here is the base form that I made out of some scrap lumber. I will shape the inside with bondo or plaster.

Rick

Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  14:50:02  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a trike, why would you meed to wait for the snow to stop falling before riding? It isn't like you can fall down from it if you lose traction.

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Go to Top of Page

jason1973tl
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  18:11:03  Show Profile  Visit jason1973tl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful build. I love the paint scheme you used. I can't wait to see it until its done.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  16:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Jason thanks for the comments the velomoble has been working great .I have not had it out much but spring is coming so I will be out with it more. There are a couple of this things I wanted to change or add. The top I built is a little narrow so I decided to start making a different one. I first laid out the sections on some 1/2 pink foam.

I them cut them out assembled the skeleton and started adding the strips of foam.

Here is a comparison between the first top mold I made on the right and the new wider one on the left.

I still need to cover the foam with some fiberglass and epoxy. I am going to try and form some zote foam over the new shape and see if I can get something to work. Otherwise I will make another fiberglass top.

The paint on the velo looks good but I wanted to add a little more so I ordered up some decals online. First I positioned the decal on the side.

I then transfered the decal to the body and then outlined it with some reflecting pin stripe tape. Took about 3 hours to get both sides done but it adds that something extra.

Here is a closer vier of the finished decal with pin striping.

So the project is getting close to being finished, but are they ever finished? I still need to make the front wheel covers and finish the new top.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6050 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  08:05:34  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like that much better than the orange around the wheel wells!
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  12:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren

Yes I like it better than the orange around the wheel wells. (Must have been the fumes at the time.) I need to find some solvent free wax to protect the colors before I take it on the road.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

PoiterH

Australia
65 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  13:34:11  Show Profile  Visit PoiterH's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe "Lypoxy" would work for the Flevo Roof?
Lypoxy = Stretch lycra over the mould and a suitable release layer. Wet out with epoxy resin and let dry.
It should hold the shape. Maybe some ribs in the mould would be good too?
Given me some ideas to try out anyway.
Pete
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  14:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PoiterH

Maybe "Lypoxy" would work for the Flevo Roof?
Lypoxy = Stretch lycra over the mould and a suitable release layer. Wet out with epoxy resin and let dry.
It should hold the shape. Maybe some ribs in the mould would be good too?
Given me some ideas to try out anyway.
Pete

Speaking from personal experience, it will hold a shape until it gets heated by the sun then go limp. Having it light coloured would help somewhat but a layer of carbon or fibreglass on top of the lycra would do a lot to having it retain it's shape.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  17:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jimmy/Pete
I have been trying to form a 1/4 thick piece of zote foam over the top. I need to cover it with some fabric next and make some supports. WE will see how this works.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  06:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Soup

Thanks for the comments about my build. For me there is no magic program that creates this stuff. I am basically doing all my sections in 2D like one would do them on a drawing board only in the computer. I draw a top view and a side view of the object in question. I draw intermediate sections at major parting lines. I use basic orthographic projection techniques I learned in high school drafting class to draw each section by hand in the front view. I display several of the section I have already completed and see how the shapes flow together. I keep doing this until I have all the sections drawn. I may go back and revise the top and side views to match the sections if I discover something that needs adjusting. Once the sections are completed they could be exported to the NC cutters. There are programs out there that my do all this but this is how I combine the old school (drafting) with the computer stuff. This all takes time I spend 30-40 hours developing sections for one of these projects. But that is nothing compared to the time and effort it takes to build the project. Keep plugging away and post your progress.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3704 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  08:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice flames, Rick. I can't think of a nicer, more complete home built velo.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  10:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Thom

Now I need to get out and Ride the thing. If it wasent for this work thing!!!

Rick
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  16:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it has been some time since I posted so I thought I would show a couple of up grades to the velomoble. I never liked the fiberglass top I made it was too narrow and did not curve down far enough in the front. I tried making a top out of zote foam but that did not work out because the pattern I made was not the right shape. So I made another foam plug. This was the 4 th one so I am getting good at it. I cover the plug with 2 layers of cooking wrap instead of going through the process of waxing and mold release. I used a light spray of glue to hold things in place.

And then covered the plug with 2 layers of 5.8 oz. carbon fabric.

Once the epoxy cured I trimmed the carbon to the desired shape and added the lexan window and bent up some 3/4" aluminum stock for supports. Here is a picture comparing the new top to the original one I made. You can see the shape is a little wider, and has more of a curve to it.

From the side you can see the front curves down more.

I attached the top the same as the other one with velcro dots since I do not have to remove the top to enter the velo. I used some pop rivets to secure the front supports to the carbon top.

Here you can see the canopy stays attached when the top is opened.

Here is a picture of the canopy on the vehicle. It is working much better then the other tops I have made so far. I may try making another foam top in the future, maybe??

The other thing I did was make a neck rest out of zote foam that I had left over from the failed foam top. It is made to adjust it's position with a velcro strap. Here is the neck rest in the position that works for me right now.

There is a velcro strap that attaches to the back of the seat and allows for easy adjustability

Rick
Go to Top of Page

beckieanne
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  18:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This post has been a true inspiration. i was wondering if any plans were available?

Beckie Ann Weaver
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  14:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beckie
I do have full size patterns for the body. I do not have any detailed step-by-step plans to complete the entire project.

Rick

quote]Originally posted by beckieanne

This post has been a true inspiration. i was wondering if any plans were available?

Beckie Ann Weaver
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000