Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  10:07:18  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick, are you planning to use a simple U joint like many of the commercial velomobiles do to solve your steering joint issue you mentioned briefly before?
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  13:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim
Interesting that you would ask that question because today I was looking at the u-joints in my tool box. I have not looked at McMaster yet to see if they have any off the shelf ones that will work before I start to make one out of chunks of aluminum. I will also be cutting down the width of the handlebar. This picture is of the extra handle bar width when the wheels are turned full lock.

Rick W

Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  04:25:10  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not to worry Rick, I have a spare prototype you can have for free if you're going to Indy. I can bring the pieces down for you if you like. It's designed to fit inside the standard OD/ID handlebar tubing, something like 7/8" OD with ~.063" wall. Not sure on those dimensions though as I haven't measured it in a while.
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  04:30:12  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 25hz

Not to worry Rick, I have a spare prototype you can have for free if you're going to Indy. I can bring the pieces down for you if you like. It's designed to fit inside the standard OD/ID handlebar tubing, something like 7/8" OD with ~.063" wall. Not sure on those dimensions though as I haven't measured it in a while.

Do you think it changed over time Tim?

And yes, that can happen; I've seen sheetmetal "grow" to double thickness due to corrosion...

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  07:27:01  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahhh hah ha ha . . . Yer a funny dude, dude :) I tend to not remember things that I can just check or measure later.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  08:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim

That would be great, I have several (hundred) other things that need to be done on the vehicle, so I will skip that one for a while. I would like to get the frame and tub working together before Indy,

Rick W

PS, the size does not matter
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  10:02:37  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roger that, I'll bring it along then.
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  10:42:42  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 25hz

Roger that, I'll bring it along then.

Please bring your calipers to make sure it's still the same size when you get there...

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  11:42:50  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need to remember which calipers I used though, they're different sizes too . . .
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  10:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The velomobile is on it's own wheels for the first time. I brazed the mounting tabs on the frame and re assembled the lower tub to the frame. I also decided to make the seat tiltable so I can get to the battery and other things in the bottom. Here is the seat tilted forward, you can also see the rear mount.

Here is the lower tub and the frame on the ground for the first time.

Here it is with the top added, It is really looking good.

I sat in the vehicle and marked out where the foot holes need to be. I will cut them out next next and start putting the inner layer of fiberglass on the body.

Rick W

Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  13:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cut out the hole in the top section of the body.

Here I am going 120 MPH (In my mind)

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  14:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have been able to sit in the vehicle and check clearance and other things. After looking at a side view picture, I decided to change the back turtle deck so it was closer to the back of my helmet and also make it easer to mount my version of the Felvo roof.

Here is a side view with me in the velomobile.

So I mocked up several back sections to see how I liked them.

First mock up still a little smaller then I would like. The carbon rod is used to simulate the approx. roof line.

Second mock up

I decided that the new back needed to blend back further. here is my first attempt.

I did not like how it was turning out so I redid it slightly smaller with a little more curve to it.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  14:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After I reshaped the back and before I broke out the epoxy and fiberglass, I got out the sanders and reshaped the front wheel wells. I tried to get it close to what was discussed earlier in the build.
Here is one of the modified wheel wells.

I removed the frame from the body and finished up trimming the openings on the bottom. I decided to cut one large foot opening instead of two smaller ones. I will eventually make some covers for of the chain line openings.

Next more fun with epoxy

Rick W

Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  16:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I prepared the inside of the tub section for a layer of 9 oz fiberglass cloth At locations where I cut through the tub I beveled back the foam so I could get the inside layer of fiberglass to attach to the outside layer of fiberglass. That will stiffen things up nicely. I also added 45 degree bevels to the inside corners so the cloth would lay better.

Here is a picture of the inside of the tub just before I started to place the fiberglass cloth.

Next I lightly tacked (with spray glue) the fiberglass cloth the the inside of the tub. At this point I ran out of 9 oz cloth ( I ordered 15 yards to begin with) so I will need to order some more to the finish up.

After I wetted the cloth out I placed some weights to make sure the bottom of the tub would be flat against the work table while the epoxy cures. This should keep the bottom of the tub flat. The table is an old kitchen countertop on some saw horses.

I will order some more cloth tomorrow to keep the project moving along.

Rick W

Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  04:58:58  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, that's awesome looking. By the looks of it, you might be able to rival the Cannon in his Quest. :) So, about the U-joint, I figured out what "small" item I'd like in trade/barter for the U-joint. I think you can guess . . . :)
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  06:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim
Ok I will bring one of the small steel angles I used for weights in the picture I think that is what you are refering to for trade, right? I will not be bring the body to Indy this weekend still to much to do on it.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6049 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  06:28:11  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick has several of those small angle weights. I think they fell off a bridge somewhere...
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren

Dan Ryan in Chicago, You should see(or try to move) my 24 x 36 x 1 1/4
steel plate

Rick W

Edited by - rickmantoo on 04/19/2010 10:43:18
Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

865 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  08:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Sweet work, thanks for your continued sharing. Putting all the 45 deg bevel pieces on the inside is a great idea. It's hard to tell from the pic how much rounding you did to the aft part of the wheel well. As was noted earlier in the thread, you may want to round the bottom leading edge of the aft part of the wheel wells for the same reasons.

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raymond

Thanks for looking and offering your great tips. As I was modifying the corners of the wheel wells I rounded them as much as I thought would look good. This is not a Battle Mountain vehicle, but hopefuly a daily driver. Please keep offering great sugestions.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

stevegek
Starting Member

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:54:09  Show Profile  Visit stevegek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just want to say it looks awesome, keep the pictures coming. :-)

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  11:20:50  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you also going to be clever and mould your lights and rear view mirrors into the body now too or will they be predominantly surface mounts?
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim
I do not want to be accused of being clever but at this time I have not thoght about those items yet. We will see once I get it opperational where everything needs to be. I should start looking for some mirrors that will work. Maybe something like what is used on the Quest.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stevegek

More Pictures, I have over 700 for this project on my computer at home. I will keep then coming as I go along. Thanks for looking

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

JimFPU
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  04:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Rick, how much will the CD of the whole build cost? I love the details...and I could use the help...I may try and make some of mine Zombie style, combined with yours...

Infinity LWB
Various Atomic Zombie homebuilts
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000