Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  15:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren

Thanks for getting that started for me. Now I have to create some additional information on the project.

Back to the PROJECT

I still has some rubbing of the rear wheel when I turned sharp at higher speeds. I looked at increasing the slot in the bottom of the Velomobile for the tire and decided to install 2 additional body mounts at the lower rear.

I first bent up some 1/8" thick X 1" wide aluminum to form some "L" brackets. Mounted the aluminum in my vice and bent it over with a plastic mallet.

I then cut the piece to the required length with my chop saw.

And rounded the corners in my 1" bench belt sander.

Here is a picture of one of the completed brackets after I cut an adjustment slot and both of the stud inserts I will be bonding in the bottom of the tub.

I decided to use one of the electric motor mount locations for an attachment point for one of the mounts.

On the other side of the frame I will add a mounting bracket to the side of the battery cradle.

Here I am brazing the mount tab to the battery cradle .

I then bonded the studs into the bottom of the tub. Tomorrow more testing before I have to go out of town for 2-weeks for work.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  16:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture of the studs bonded to the bottom of the tub for the new rear mounts.

Not sure if I will be able to do e-mail while I am gone so it will be several weeks before I get back to the project.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

vhclbldr

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  20:06:19  Show Profile  Visit vhclbldr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, Can you send a closer picture of your motor drive system and how it links in with the rear wheel, or does it drive the pedal drive side with a freewheel mounted on the shaft somehow?

Jamieson
Builder of Tadpole Recumbent w/ Electric-assist
Bel Air, MD (USA)
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2010 :  10:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamieson

The electric motor is connected to the drive system through a jackshaft. On the drive side of the jackshaft there is a freewheel that the crank is connected to and a fixed gear that goes to the rear wheel. This allows the electric motor the drive the rear wheel through the gears in the 14 speed rear hub. I hope I explained it and maybe the following pictures will help.

I started out by making some adapters to use on a square ended bottom bracket. Here I am using a tapered end mill to cut a tapered square hole.

I made 2 adapters one with threads for the freewheel and fixed gear and one that would adapt to a #25 sprocket. Here is the completed Jackshaft with the adapters and gears mounted.

This is how the motor side of the jackshaft looks mounted on the frame.

This is how the drive side looks.

Here is a close up with the motor mounted.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

vhclbldr

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  21:13:14  Show Profile  Visit vhclbldr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brilliant! That helps keep the motor from slowing down the rear wheel when coasting or pedaling (as is the case with my huge hub-motor) while not forcing the pedals to rotate when under electric power.

I wish I had seen this a year ago before I bought my hubmotor rear wheel. I don't think he will give me a refund on it, either.

Great design!

Jamieson
Builder of Tadpole Recumbent w/ Electric-assist
Bel Air, MD (USA)
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6052 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  07:25:12  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have progressed a bit on Rick's velomobile page at:
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/wianecki/velomobile/

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  17:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamieson
Thanks for the kind comments. The design for the drive system I am using has been around for I while, I first saw it used on the endless sphere site and adapted it to this vehicle.

Warren
Thanks Now I need to get you some additional information to fill in some of the gaps on the design and the frame construction.

Well I made it back from my 2-week road trip and had several packages waiting for me. I took Warren's advice and ordered some tail lights from China.
Here are the two lights I ordered, I am going to use the one on the right.

Next is where to mount the lights?
Mount them High?

or mount them lower?

I need to make up my mind and get the lights mounted. I want to be able to take the vehicle to the Niagara Velomobile Happening SAT/SUN Sept 18 - 19.

Here is a picture of the completed rear body mounts I installed earlier.I ran out of light gray primer so I used dark gray on the battery holder.
Go to Top of Page

pounce
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  18:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently saw these lights and thought of your project:

http://www.radiantz.com/cart/index1.html?c5.html&1

They have flexible LED arrays that are surface mount.

I think some molded in lights would look sexy. Or perhaps a surface mount with quick release so you can keep clean lines...
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  08:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pounce

Thanks for the link, I did look at that site and boy those lights look great! I am looking to do a simple solution now to get the vehicle going and then once I figure out how it should work upgrade to better lights before I paint (that is another issue that needs to be resolved)

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  10:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I will not be able to make it to the Niagara Velomobile gathering coming up due to work commitments. So I thought I would start thinking about what to do about the final painting.

Any thoughts on what the final color for the vehicle should be ? Blue top with silver bottom? Red, white and blue with stars? Orange and yellow? What ?

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6052 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  12:51:02  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clownfish. I think that's Orange with white stripes and a black band between the orange and white.

Edited by - warren on 09/02/2010 05:53:33
Go to Top of Page

Runxner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  03:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: LEDs- I haven't been satisfied with any LEDs bought for motorcycles. Useless in the daytime,

Team Low-Life
Lowracer Test Pilot/Evangelist
Adelaide, Australia
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  06:15:31  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think a high gloss black velomobile would be dead sexy, but being black, it would probably just end up with the "dead" part if you ever rode it on the street like that. I am partial to the crazy green colours too, like granny smith apples.

Too bad you won't make hte velo meet after all. I was looking forward to seeing you do an electric smoke show on theroad out in front of Reg's place. Maybe next year . . . sigh.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1999 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Grand National Roadster show is a great source for paint schemes. This guy has a gallery from a number of shows and he has a love for fish as well! I think you can ship his galleries from the renaissance festival.

http://www.pbase.com/xl1ken/root
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1270 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  19:52:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 25hz

I think a high gloss black velomobile would be dead sexy, but being black, it would probably just end up with the "dead" part if you ever rode it on the street like that. I am partial to the crazy green colours too, like granny smith apples.

Too bad you won't make hte velo meet after all. I was looking forward to seeing you do an electric smoke show on theroad out in front of Reg's place. Maybe next year . . . sigh.

This seems appropriate for a "tadpole" velomobile:

http://www.pbase.com/xl1ken/image/29731989

Go to Top of Page

JMvD
recumbent enthusiast

Netherlands
113 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  23:37:37  Show Profile  Visit JMvD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren

Clownfish. I think that's Orange with white stripes and a black band between the orange and white.

Just take a look at:

http://velomobielfan.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

JM
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  01:09:10  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JMvD

quote:
Originally posted by warren

Just take a look at:

http://velomobielfan.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

JM

Jan-Marcel beat me to it..

For more inspiration:

http://picasaweb.google.com/velomobielen

and,

http://picasaweb.google.be/agenda.fietser

my personal favorite: http://picasaweb.google.be/agenda.fietser/Waw043#

Thomas (T minus 7 days...)
Go to Top of Page

pounce
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  07:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a vinyl wrap instead of paint? You could go crazy with photo's or graphics and it could be peeled off later.

I'm personally going with Gulf orange and light blue. I think it's ironic and I just love the look on the Le Mans Porsche 917 and GT40 cars...
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  12:16:57  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Florescent orange with a ANSI Safety Lime "swoosh", or the reverse. Make yourself visible, obnoxious but visible.

Opus

My gas is up to $.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 20 miles to the regular burrito.
Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

865 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  17:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ferrari Red with tan leather interior. Or if you are more of an anglophile, British racing green with white racing stripe, off center of course.

-Raymond
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  10:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the suggestions on a paint color. I have not had any time to work on the velo for the last month or so. I think I need to pick a solid color because of my painting skills (or lack of) and then maybe add some stick on decals, Flames out the wheel wells, something like that. I also have a bunch (3000) x 3 inch pieces of 3M white reflective tape, maybe I could come up with a design using them over a solid background color.

There still is a chance (small but a chance) I may be able to make it to the Niagara Velomobile Happening comming up on the 18 & 19. It all depends if I can get everything I need to get done at work by Friday evening, we will see.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

25hz
human power supergeek

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  12:25:55  Show Profile  Visit 25hz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome news! I'm looking forward to filming your electric smokeshow on the 7th line. I'll be taking a new velo down for Ray to uncork/unveil, plus hopefully a Team too. Larry will be there with his CF trike, and hopefully he'll bring his velo too.

I know it's rather belated at this point, but I still have those steering U-joints for you. You know, the ones I was going to give you at Indy in April? :) Maybe you can use them on your WIFE'S velomobile when you make it for her . . .
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  17:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it has been a while since I have been able to work on the velomobile. But I was recently able to check a few more things off the to do list. While I at the Niagara Velomobile Happening, I talked with John Tetz about some steering issues I was having, mainly a heavy feeling in the steering. I traced the problem to an out of round steering shaft that was sticking in the frame bushings.
I machined a new one from an aluminum round and bolted a stainless bar to the bottom. That appears to have solved many of the issues.

Next I needed away to hold the battery to the frame more securely. I started out by covering the bottom of the battery case with several layers of cooking wrap and laying up 3 layers of fiberglass with a sheet al .060 aluminum imbedded between the first and second layers.

Once the epoxy resin cured I trimmed and cut the lower pan about 2" deep.

Next I added a center support bar to the battery holder so I could bolt the pan down.

Here is the pan bolted to the frame and the battery secured with a elastic strap I added some 1/8 inch wire brackets to make installing the strap easier.

Next I will be working on a rear fender, and a 12v lighting system with turn and brake lights.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

rickmantoo
recumbent enthusiast

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  17:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a few other things to the Vm before I take it to the HPRA races in Springfield Ohio this weekend. I installed a 1/8 in plastic coated cable to hold the top in the open position. I installed it at the front so it would not interfere with the rear wheel and the seat if it as installed at the back.

One problem with this instillation is that when the top is closed the cable gets uncomfortably close to the peddles and chain ring. So I added some elastic to pull the cable away from the peddles when the top is closed.

Here is a picture that shows the cable neatly stowed at the front of the vehicle when the top is closed.

The next thing to add is some sort of latch to keep the top closed. I looked at several types of mechanical latches but decided to keep it simple and use a bungy chord latch. The cord is attached to the top and has a hook on the other end.

On the tub section I installed a concave bushing on a short bolt. The hook is just slipped on to secure the top closed.

lastly I have started to gather the parts for the turning signals and tail and brake lights. Here are the led turn signals and a DC-DC converter that I will be using to convert 24v to 12 volts.

I still need to get the switches and flasher along with the tail/ brake light.

Rick W
Go to Top of Page

Velocity Velos
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  22:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Velocity Velos's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Well I made it back from my 2-week road trip and had several packages waiting for me. I took Warren's advice and ordered some tail lights from China.
Here are the two lights I ordered, I am going to use the one on the right.

I am using the lights on the right, too. Actually, mine are from a company called Acclaim, but they have to be made with the same molds. I ordered a Chinese version at the same time that looked identical to yours. The Acclaim version didn't have the headlight, which is useless to me anyway, and was $20 as opposed to $30 for the direct-from-China version. It's worked well for me for over a year now. The horn is loud enough to be heard on the bike path. I had to splice in some wire to make the brake light sensor reach a front wheel. I also added a switch that lets me cut off the sensor when using the parking brake. The taillight is only 1 LED, so I added a separate taillight use the Acclaim light for the brake light and turn signals.

Taylor Wilhour

Velocity Velos
www.velocityvelos.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000