New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2524 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  11:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that's always bugged me about the 200 m flying start record is the use of potential energy as the riders begin the timed portion of their run. The higher the banking at a particular track, the faster the speeds.

In the WRRA rule on course flatness, for a 200 m flying start record on a velodrome, if a person starts at the bottom of the track, can they climb to 6 m above the finish, then swoop down entering the timed section? That seems to violate the slope rule.

I was also thinking that maybe one could start at the bottom, ride around until they were 6 m above the finish, then drop down to within 1.333 m above the finish as they entered the timed portion of the event for 2/3% slope through the timed portion. But the rule says the slope begins at the start of the course, not the timed portion.

Is the 6 m above velodrome banking rule supposed to supersede the slope rule?

I am glad the rules are clear for the standing start 1 km. The second rule excerpt covers that.

We'll be racing at the San Jose velodrome next weekend. I don't expect to contest or document any records. But I'd just like to run the same rules when we're out there so I know my efforts are comparable.

"Except for courses for the road race events, and the time trial events one hour and over, all courses must meet the following flatness requirement: If an imaginary line is drawn from the end of the timed portion of the event course back toward the beginning of the course but sloped upward at a slope of 2/3 percent (1 meter in 150), at no point may the vehicle course pass above this line. Curved courses may be used for any event, Use of velodrome banking not higher than 6 meters above the lowest part of the finish line is allowed."

"Absolutely no chemical, electrical, kinetic, potential, or other form of energy storage are allowed at the start of the event."

"In events with a flying start the accumulation of the kinetic energy of vehicle and rider(s) is permitted. The vehicle may accelerate over an unlimited distance prior to entering the timed portion of the course. All vehicle momentum gained prior to the timing section must be made by human powered efforts of the rider(s) as required in other sections of these rules."

Larry Lem

randy
recumbent guru

723 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  20:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the velodrome is a liability even with the downhill start when compared to a straight run in the 200m.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1999 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  04:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
Because of historical precedent and for reasons of comparison it was decided that it would be best to keep the rules of the WRRA similar to the UCI rules for the 200M. My calculations show that the slope provides a 600W boost for about 5 seconds. But just like Battle Mountain, everyone has the same or similar conditions, so it is fair competition. It also highlights bike handling skills. At the same time, the turn provides losses, so it probably comes close to evening out.

UCI does not have a maximum height, only a minimum track width. I feel that the 6 meter restriction will prevent someone from having an unfair advantage on a monster track. By doing some slope and right angle calculations I was able to come up with 6M as typical height for a world class velodrome turn.

We are also keeping straight line 200M records, but they have the 2/3% rule as with the IHPVA. The event in Jersey this weekend used these rules including the wind restrictions used for the Decimach prize.

No word yet on records set in Jersey.

Sean
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000