Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3790 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  21:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

WENESDAY EVENING SPEED RUN RESULTS
-speeds emailed to me from Craig Johnsen, Chief Timer
---MPH---, -KPH--

1) --.---,--.---, Greg Westlake, Avos Arrow, wind?, FLAT TIRE, did not finish. Started from the 2.5 mile point qualifying course length.
2) 78.586, 126.471, Sam Whittingham, Varna Tempest, Rubbing tire so started to slow 1000 meters from traps, only illegal wind of day, its seems like a first run of the session illegal wind jinx like Barbara had the night before.
3) 63.958, 102.931, Barclay Henry, White Blackslider, Legal, Personal Best, improved by almost 2 mph since yesterday, still 2nd fastest trike in the world, can he break the Orion's 66.1 mph mark by week's end?
4) 58.201, 93.665, James Schroeder, Specter II, Legal, Personal Best, improved by 1/2 mph, becomes 5th fastest trike ever, faster than best Vector Single mark.
5) 59.375, 95.554, Ron Layman, Primal II, Legal, below his personal best of 62 mph, first run on the long course of the week, qualified in the morning.
6) 61.505, 98.983, Larry Lem, Scimitar, Legal, 10 mph improvement with Scimitar, looks like he's solving his crank problems, New Personal best for single-rider vehicle, he went 58.6 mph two years ago in the Beluga, and went 67.06 mph last year in Golitath2 Tandem last year with Tom Amick.
7) 73.790, 118.753, Fred Markham, Varna Mephisto, Legal, a bit slower than yesterday.
8) 70.666, 113.726, Yannick Lutz, Altair II, Legal, virtually identical speed to yesterday, a bit slower.
9) 72.534, 116.732, Barbara Buatois, Varna Diablo 3, WORLD RECORD - LADIES! Becomes 6th fastest person in the world! First lady over 70 mph! New National French record (trades back French record from Yannick), Legal wind.
10) 68.914, 110.906, Eric Ware, Wedge, Legal, Personal Best, Holy cow, nearing 70 mph! Could be the fifth person at the event over 70 mph, Eric becomes the 10th fastest person in history by just barely edging out the Double Gold Rush 68.910 mph mark with Fred Markham and Chris Springer on the all-time list! See Fastest Lists discussion forum.
11) 55.349, 89.076, Bobby Erman, Cal Poly Atlas, Legal, Personal Best, joins 55+ mph club.

NOTE: This is the first time in history, 4 people went over 70 mph in the same year at Battle Mountain, in fact they all did this on the same night. Eric Ware almost made it 5! That new pavement is FAST!!!!!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 09/17/2009 00:41:45
Go to Top of Page

respectech
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  22:47:57  Show Profile  Visit respectech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am currently uploading a movie of the Wednesday night competition from the spectator area (timing traps). Had some technical difficulties with the autofocus on my digital camera, but got them resolved by Barbara's world record run.

Unfortunately, the Super 8 upload speed is crazy slow. The video is scheduled to be finished uploading 9 hours from now (10:45pm Pacific Time).

I am planning on uploading movies each evening for the rest of the time I'm here (Thursday and Friday).
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1996 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  05:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to clutter up this thread with something other than race information, but I am so excited and happy for all record breakers and teams for their incredible performances. They are all so impressive it is hard to single one out to discuss. Just to get a bike built and raced at Battle Mountain is major achievement that many only dream about.

I send a big hug to Al and Alice Krause who have dedicated themselves to making this event happen. Organizing a week long event year after year and a relentless lobby for a new road surface is a major job and they do so well. All this in the face of increasing "challenges" from NDOT ($1200 permit fee, renting signage, paying for traffic control workers). Even with sponsorship, the IHPVA will be in the hole financially, so if you haven't joined the IHPVA, please do. We need the money to help put on great record setting events like Battle Mountain and the Ford Human Powered Challenge. Also a serious volunteer effort is always needed for a big event like this, so keep it in mind for the future.

Note to everyone: Al wants to race next year and he has Matt Weaver's Cutting Edge in his possession. I'd love to see that happen.

Sean Costin

Go to Top of Page

Richard Myers
recumbent enthusiast

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  06:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
respectech
check out the library,they were installing new high speed internet last year and they did not charge for using there equipment.

Richard Myers
Xenia, Ohio
http://tinyurl.com/3445gr
Go to Top of Page

respectech
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  06:43:53  Show Profile  Visit respectech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK. The video is finally uploaded and ready for viewing.

http://www.respectech.com/whpsc2009.html

Brought to you by RespecTech.

If you need any type of computer technical support or assistance, please call Bo at 707-621-4415. If it involves computers, RespecTech does it!

Nationwide technical support and project development at competitive rates.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
5983 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  09:53:01  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Mike for keeping everyone updated with the latest breaking results.

Official results are updated on the WHPSC site:
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2009/results.htm

Wow everyone is doing great. Eric Ware and Mark Anderson must be elated with their 68MPH speed in the Wedge.

Barbara is unbelievable running over 72MPH!

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

respectech
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  12:01:17  Show Profile  Visit respectech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thursday morning runs are now also posted at

If you need any type of computer technical support or assistance, please call Bo at 707-621-4415. If it involves computers, RespecTech does it!

Go to Top of Page

legslarry
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  12:51:34  Show Profile  Visit legslarry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg did 41+ with illegal wind this morning, then had another go and did ~42.5 with legal wind! Mikey is set for another afternoon wrestling with transmission components, whe he'd far rather be sitting in the shade drinking BEER.

Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
=============================
a bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds

Edited by - legslarry on 09/17/2009 12:52:37
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3790 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  14:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THURSDAY MORNING QUALIFIER and SPEED RUN RESULTS
speeds emailed from Craig Johnsen, Chief Timer

----MPH--, --KPH--
1) 40.880, 65.790, Greg Westlake, Avos Arrow, World Arm-Powered Best, but illegal wind, Personal Best, broke 40+ mph and 65 kph, [illegal wind].
2) 49.666, 79.929, Rob Hitchcock, Kyle Edge, First run at competition, on short 2.5 mph course, below personal best of 63.9 mph - 2006 Battle Mountain, [illegal wind].
3) 41.479, 66.753, Greg Westlake, Avos Arrow, WORLD RECORD, Arm-Powered, officially breaks record yesterday by 3.6 mph, Legal.
4) 60.327, 97.088, Jay Henry, Flying J, Personal best, joins 60+ mph club, improved by 0.75 mph vs yesterday, Legal.
5) 51.353, 82.645, Kevin Schroeder, Spectre II Trike, Personal best, improved by only 0.2 mph vs yesterday morning, Legal.
6) 49.854, 80.232, Ryan Milligan, Cal Poly Athena, Personal best, improved 7 mph vs Tuesday qualifier, first run on long 5 mile course, Legal.
7) 47.024, 75.678, Tiffany Underwood, Spectre II Trike, below Personal best, Legal.

Congratulations Greg! The records just keep on coming! How impressive is this record? Answer: Its only 1.5 mph slower than the first human powered vehicle record, set in a full-streamlined body, by an Olympic cyclist with two legs. In 1974, Olympian Ron Skarin rode Dr. Chester Kyle's upright streamliner to 43.02 mph, exceeding the fastest UCI mark of the day. Ron is now in the cycling Hall of Fame. This mark might be considered the mark that started the speed races that continue to this day. Anyway, it would be very very impressive if Greg can break that. Kudos to Mike Sova, Ivan Samila and Colleen!! Greg went over 40 mph twice within only 1.5 hours rest in-between. His first mark had a barely illegal wind of 360 ft/min, his second record run had only a 112 ft/min speed. Go to a velodrome for any elite track races, and you might see a 40 mph sprint on an upright bike, but very few amateurs cylists are able to even get to 40 mph on their upright bicycles on the open road. Greg's doing 40+ mph on arm-power.

Jay Henry gets into the 60 mph club! This is by an 18-year old builder/rider of his own vehicle. He is the youngest builder/rider to go 50, 55, and now 60 mph! I'll have to check my lists of collegiate-student built vehicles again, but Jay's mark is climbing high on that list. He is afterall, only 18 to 19 years old, hence college aged. His mark rightly deserves to be mentioned in any discussion of the fastest student-built vehicles. If he can get to 61.5 mph he'll pass up Cal Poly's fastest single-rider marks on the Collegiate List.

Rob Hitchcock must be hungry to break at least 65 mph. His personal best is 63 mph. He showed up and qualified at nearly 50 mph on the short course! In 2006, he kept showing speed improvements throughout the week. And remember, he's pedalling Matt Weaver's old bike that Matt pedalled to still be the second fastest person all-time at 78 mph!

Kevin goes a little bit faster for a personal best. Will he be as fast as James in the Spectre 2 trike by the end of the week?

Ryan for his first time on the long course shows a big 7 mph improvement, great for this student-athlete in the Cal Poly bike!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 09/18/2009 21:41:28
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power supergeek

Lesotho
1996 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  14:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just looking at the 200M armpower record at:
http://www.ihpva.org/hpvarech.htm

The old record was 32.6 mph. Now it will be over 40 mph! That's about a 23% improvement! That is just shocking for a record as mature this one. Way to go Greg and Avos Arrow Team! Can Barbara fit in there? She could be the first person to hold the Arm powered record and the Leg powered record. She would need to go 21.4mph to break it.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

666 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  16:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
the event is going well, I am sorry there aren't better pictures yet...
it's been busy for us event organizers.
Alice and I would like to thank all the volunteers, riders and crews, everyone has been really professional.
Many thanks again to our sponsor Hydrive, people are drinking up all the free samples...Hey Mikey likes it!

off to the races, looking like there may be some more records tonight!

Al Krause
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
319 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  19:32:47  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new records have been picked up by the AP:

http://www.mercurynews.com/weird-news/ci_13359955
Go to Top of Page

respectech
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  23:15:25  Show Profile  Visit respectech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thursday evening events are now also posted at

Go to Top of Page

EricksonRacing
recumbent enthusiast

335 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  00:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some pictures from Monday and Tuesday.

http://picasaweb.google.com/EricksonRacing/2009BattleMountainSeptember2009?feat=directlink

Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  02:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious as to Mr. Larrington's fastest speed for the week and how he would compare his current ride to that of previous years.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3790 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  05:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THURSDAY EVENING SPEED RUN RESULTS
-Speeds emailed to me by Craig Johnsen - Chief Timer

Another WORLD RECORD by Greg and some more personal bests!

--MPH---, --KPH--
1) 40.114, 64.557, Greg Westlake, Avos Arrow, [illegal wind], 3rd run over 40 mph, 3rd fastest of day.
2) 65.132, 104.819, Barbara Buatois, Varna Diablo 3, [illegal wind], slower than her 72.5 mph record yesterday, but wind was blowing too fast for a record.
3) 62.034, 99.834, Ron Layman, Primal II, Legal, Personal Best by 0.003 sec, or 0.03 mph, [note his mph speed given in 2008 results is incorrect, so this is a new personal best].
4) 57.328, 92.261, James Schroeder, Spectre II Trike, Legal, 0.8 mph slower than personal best
6) 52.480, 84.458, Rob Hitchcock, Kyle Edge, [illegal wind], faster than morning qualifier, still much slower than best of 63 mph.
7) 80.844, 130.105, Sam Whittingham, Varna Tempest, Legal, 4th fastest legal, 6th timed run over 80 mph.
8) 70.477, 113.422, Yannick Lutz, ALTA¤R2, Legal, 0.2 mph slower than best legal, 0.5 mph slower than his wind illegal best of 71 mph on Tues, fourth run over 70 mph, showing amazing consistency.
9) 66.844, 107.575, Eric Ware, Wedge, Legal, 2 mph slower than yesterday.
10) 64.839, 104.348, Barclay Henry, Backslider Trike, Legal, Personal Best by nearly 0.9 mph, still #2 fastest trike ever.
11) 56.410, 90.783, Aaron Williams, Cal Poly Atlas, Legal, Personal Best, joins 55+ mph club, beats old mark from 2008, 4th fastest college-built, single-rider student mark.
12) 42.322, 68.111, Greg Westlake, Avos Arrow, Legal, WORLD RECORD, Arm Powered, 2nd of the day, 3rd of meet, 4th time over 40 mph, breaks morning record by 2 kph. This was his 4th run of the day - that's alot of work!

Jay Henry did not finish his run.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 09/19/2009 21:25:06
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2517 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  07:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did Jason disappear to? Rumor has it he went back to Reno to revise his middrive. Will he be back in time for Fri night and Saturday runs?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2517 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  07:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Scimitar has been designed a little bit too small in the pedal box and knee height area. I'm using a Costin narrow bb and Snap 130 mm BMX cranks for shoe clearance. The narrow pedal position would normally result in my knees being closer together, but frame and pulleys prevent this so I have to consciously pedal in a very controlled manner. It is difficult giving an all-effort, as pedaling gets crazy and my right inner leg, knees, and feet start hitting the fairing. Moving the seat back would improve the pedal clearance, but adversely affect knee clearance as the fairing starts to drop towards the rear.

Pedaling style never came up in training as I use a std bb and wide Q BMX cranks on my training bike.

One of the challenges for next year is chain routing and how to decrease the width of the frame and parts between my knees if I stay with a narrow pedal box.

I am now taking 36 hours between efforts, as I learned from previous years that I need more than 24 to recover from these efforts. We'll be leaving in 15 minutes for a Fri morning attempt. This will hopefully be followed by a Sat night attempt.

Larry Lem

Edited by - Larry Lem on 09/18/2009 07:19:51
Go to Top of Page

Eric Ware
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  08:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

In response to Mike Mowett's comment...yes, Mark and I are really amazed that we have been able to run so well. Based on my Ford results I was expecting to be in the low 60s not the high 60's.

The changes we made to the Wedge appear to be all postive and additive.

I went out faster at the beginning of last nights run and could not keep on the schedule I set out on. Right after the run I had a moderately severe asthma attack and was fortunate to have my rescue inhaler with me. I am fine today. I am quite surprised that I was only 2 mph slower through the traps.

...the Wedge has turned out to be a pretty fast bike. I have 3 solid runs under my belt all faster than 65mph. I can hardly believe it.

Eric Ware
and the Wedge Team of Mark Anderson and John Jackson
Go to Top of Page

EricksonRacing
recumbent enthusiast

335 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  09:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I revised my drivetrain to eliminate the Nexus. Should be an interesting experiment.

I currently knee deep in gears trying to figure out gearing. The missing piece is a 74 with 110 BCD.

Like Larry I figured a little rest between runs wouldn't hurt.

I am currently planning on running Saturday morning and evening. I am going to miss Friday evening because I am bringing my girlfriend and we leave at 5:00pm.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  11:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackrabbit Jimmy

I am curious as to Mr. Larrington's fastest speed for the week and how he would compare his current ride to that of previous years.

Jackrabbit Jimmy

Sadly, the good and charming Mr. Larrington was blacklisted by last year's rental company and is driving a Mustang convertible this year. It's limited to 114mph. Bah!

Go to Top of Page

legslarry
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  13:49:46  Show Profile  Visit legslarry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wills

quote:
Originally posted by Jackrabbit Jimmy

Jackrabbit Jimmy

Sadly, the good and charming Mr. Larrington was blacklisted by last year's rental company and is driving a Mustang convertible this year. It's limited to 114mph. Bah!

More that Hertz couldn't offer anything interesting at the time and location I wanted it. After returning the Audi S4 in 2005 with six thousand miles driven in 17 days and evidence of losing a fight with a concrete post in Billings, MT on the way over, well, if they were going to blacklist me I wouldn't have had the 'vette last year

Alamo appeared to be the only people with drop-tops available in Chicago, but things could have been a lot worse. It could have been a Chrysler Sebring

Dave Larrington
Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

865 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  15:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
After months of teaser pix, it's nice to finally see a complete view of the Scimitar. Thanks Mark:

Funny thing is it looks a lot like some concepts I've had to make a 2 wheeled Orion.

Speed Up
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
5983 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  17:12:40  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thursday photos by Mark Mueller and Larry Lem

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2009/resultsthursday.htm
Go to Top of Page

legslarry
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
400 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  19:48:38  Show Profile  Visit legslarry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New record! 82.8 for Sam.
New record! 75 and some change for Barbara. Outright European record to boot.
New record! 43+ for Greg.
New PB! 73+ for Yannick.
New PB! 71+ for Eric.
New PB! 66+ for Ron.

Not heard results yet for Rob but he reckons 60+; two DNF's for Aaron chiz.

Evenings like this make all the time and expense worthwhile, and now it's BEER time. Exact numbers later.

Dave Larrington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000