Catbike Musashi Mini-Review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

warren
human power expert

USA
6770 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  20:11:57  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/reviews/musashi/catbike_musashi.htm

trsnrtr
recumbent enthusiast

257 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  05:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review, Warren. I'm heading to the Catrike Rally next week and am looking forward to seeing the machine. It may be the perfect first recumbent for my wife. Mark told me that they can make a short version without any problems.
Go to Top of Page

randy
recumbent guru

729 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  09:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The frame and seat position of that bike is begging for a Birk-like tailfairing.
Go to Top of Page

britCpower
recumbent enthusiast

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  13:25:30  Show Profile  Visit britCpower's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have never really understood why machines like this dont think about bottle placement at the design stage. Its obviously an ideal choice for centuries and longer so why only include one bottle cage mount? With a perimeter frame design like this surely a couple of extra bottle cage mounts would not add significantly to the cost.
I have the same criticism for Catrikes and Bacchetta's although there are some really good aftermarket solutions for the Bacchetta.

The standard issue bottle cage on the Catrike 700 is literally a pain to use.

I was seriously considering getting rid of the Bacchetta Corsa SS to get one of these but there seem to be too many compromises for use as an endurance racing steed. 27 pounds also seems a bit heavy but for the price that weight is very competetive.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1272 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  17:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't they think big guys pedal hard? The bike looks attractive, but the boom flex scares me. I broke my Lightning in half, so I'd think designers would make frames stiff enough to resist normal drivetrain forces. A flexy aluminum frame just doesn't sound good for long-term durability.

Go to Top of Page

steamer
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  18:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is only one bottle cage mount? Where is it located? If they are only going to give you one (and I think that is absurd BTW), it better be in a good location.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

mikeatlbch
recumbent enthusiast

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  19:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren,
Nice Review, Warren.

The Musashi is sold as a 451/700. I believe all three bikes were so equipped.

Musashi company site.:
http://www.catrike.com/bik_musashi.htm

I was impressed with the low speed handling and lack of wheel flop often designed into bent bikes to get stability at speed.

You guys are just too tall and too strong;-).

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6770 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  06:51:08  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I'll update the wheels and add the link.

Hey Jeff, Don't all P-38s break in half eventually? The boom was the only thing I noticed flexing. Everything behind the head tube was rock solid. Note that all SWB recumbent bikes have the boom flex issue to some degree, but the Musashi had more flex than I am used to seeing.

I use a water bladder, so bottle braze-ons (cup holders) don't concern me. If you need more bottles, that's what hose clamps and tie wraps are for. :)

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

britCpower
recumbent enthusiast

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  18:55:27  Show Profile  Visit britCpower's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are right Warren. Bad mouthing a fine design over a bottle cage mount is a bit silly, There are probably only a very small percentage of people who will race these and worry about needing to go the conventional bottle cage route.
I really would like to ride one myself.
Go to Top of Page

trsnrtr
recumbent enthusiast

257 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  05:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a very nice well made handlebar type cage on my Catrikes and mount them behind the seat on the top horizontal seat bar. They are very easy to get to. The same thing would work on the Musashi.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000