Just found a new way to massivly increase my speed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LeeW

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  06:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was riding along today, along a section of road which had just been resurfaced so super smooth. I could still feel a slight vibration though. It seemed like this was at a simular frequency to the front wheel turning, I then realised this was because the wheel was out of balance, possibly due to the magnet on it. So when I got back what I did was I fixed a second magnet to the front wheel, this needs to be directly opposite the original magnet, the same distance from the hub. I then went for another ride and the increase in speed was dramatic and immediately noticeable. It seems like all this time the slight vibrations from the unbalanced wheel has been causing the air to delaminate from the fairing and cause massive drag. By adding the second magenet the vibration is stopped and the air flows much more smoothley!

So if you want to easily massivly increase your speed, by almost double, forget about Training and weight weenie derailleurs etc, just add a second magnet to your wheel!
Go ahead, try it, it really works!

Edited by - LeeW on 04/01/2010 06:23:10

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1881 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  06:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee, Hee! Huh? Wait a minute, you say it almost doubles your speed? Something wonky here.

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  07:15:13  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garrie L Hill

Hee, Hee! Huh? Wait a minute, you say it almost doubles your speed? Something wonky here.

Yes Garrie,

Obviously you have an increase in weight so your rolling resistance goes up!

Do I have to explain everthing around here?

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3979 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  07:27:50  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the magnets work, I have had my magnets on the front wheel for some time now, but close to the hub. It works on the B cross V principle. I have noticed it works better on east-west roads.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  09:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a crusty old retiree, I don't trust them new-fangled GPS contraptions. I still rely on my compass and the stars for directions. Trouble is, them darn wheel magnets interfere with my compass. Once when I was riding 'round the block near the beach in San Diego, my compass got ****y, I got confused and the next thing I knew, I was in Albuquerque.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  09:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's wrong with the word "****y"? What are them asterisks for? Big brother internet police are hasslin' me again.

Larry Lem

How about if I put spaces between them? Let's see if this works.

W A N K Y

Edited by - Larry Lem on 04/01/2010 09:04:49
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1881 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  10:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry;
A crusty old retiree? Really? Krikies, mate! I thought you were younger than I.

Thomas;
Yes, you do have to explain everything around here. That way, when things "go all pear shaped" ( a little Brit lingo since this is an international forum) we will know whom to blame. ;-)

HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  11:18:22  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garrie L Hill

Thomas;
Yes, you do have to explain everything around here. That way, when things "go all pear shaped" ( a little Brit lingo since this is an international forum) we will know whom to blame. ;-)

Hey,

I'am not pear-shaped, I am shaped more like a banana

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3881 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  14:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee,
I think I speak for us all in saying that I am VERY interested in your discovery! Who would have thought that such a minor element could hold such vast potentional for increased speed! You should publish this finding to to the journal Human Power. Tony, I disagree that it would be faster on East-West roads as the flux from the Earth's magnetic field is aligned roughly with the geometric North-South polar axii. Therefore Guass law and others would state that the magnets naturally want to adopt their lowest energy positions, thereby "go with the flow" so to speak. So they should seek to propel themselves along north-south roads faster.

Edited by - Upright Mike on 04/01/2010 14:52:17
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6770 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  16:39:08  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry I think you mean "wonky", that other word refers to something else.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2007 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  18:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee,
Have you considered trying a magnetic quadrapole moment for even more speed?

Ultimately the result may be similar to the holistic magnetic insoles my sister purchased for my elderly father who is having foot pain. The damn things were so heavy he could hardly walk. But his feet did hurt less because he hardly left his chair.

Sean

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
recumbent guru

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The secret is to put 3 opposing pole magnets on the front and rear wheels and locate them 30 degrees out of phase. That will result in another 50% improvements over the 2 magnets Lee used.

Be sure to place the positive magnets of the front wheel when you are going North and the negative magnets on the front wheel when you are going south. If applied correctly the polar magnetic fields basically double the force the front wheel magnets are exerting on the rear wheel resulting in 1/2 the rider effort to go the same speed which will be 3 times faster than with a single magnet.

When the rider is going East or West the magnetic forces cancel each other and the bike rides just like one without the magnets but savvy readers will realize the problem associated with changing the wheel magnets to match the earth's magnetic field.

Our solution, which we just finished building and road tested today, was to design a bicycle that is front wheel drive when headed North and rear wheel drive when headed South. All the rider has to do is flip the seat around and it becomes a rear wheel steer, rear wheel drive bicycle.

Our test rider said that the behind the seat pedal and handle bar locations felt a little awkward at first but I think he'll get used to them once he recovers. Dang magnets sucked him right into the roadside fence at an extremely high rate of speed.
Go to Top of Page

stevegek
Starting Member

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  10:24:42  Show Profile  Visit stevegek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel dumb now...anyone got pictures? I'm very visually minded. Thanks. Lol. Magnets and stuff.. pah!

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  11:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were April Fool's Day jokes.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: