Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2011 :  07:40:55  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome! It's almost as much fun to post blogs about the build as it is to ride.

The more that we all share about our activities online, the more that others can benefit.

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2011 :  15:28:25  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My H-channel finally got shipped today. It is scheduled to arrive on the 26th.

I got my new Chrome shoes today... bitchin'.

I got my new fairing mounts and floating chain idler from Terracycle today... bitchin'.

Jeff in Tucson

Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2011 :  17:34:44  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you can tell, I woke up feeling slightly better... good enough to come into the factory, do some work, then have some fun with bike stuff! I think that I might brave a short bike ride tomorrow. Hmm... still coughing my head off. We'll see.

I installed the TerraCycle floating chain idler. It is so bitchin' that I will order another one. If you look at the lower photo, you'll see a green line indicating where I'll install it. What a COOL chain holder.

I removed the front shifter and installed a new handlebar grip since I no longer need it. The Schlumpf is so cool! That heel-button shifter has quite the funky factor. It really spins that rear wheel up!

In my head, I've designed what I think will be the final solution for outriggers (instead of using my $25 gizmo from eBay). If I use some square metal tubing, like Warren has done, I can put a caster on the end of each and have it cable actuated with a ring pull. Here's where my thinking changes... I can mount one on the back-side edge of each side of my composite seat. That will allow the system to be used without the fairing and it extends the casters fairly close to the center of gravity (front to back). I can also install them with a bit of an outward angle to achieve good stability from left to right (to about the same 25" width of the fairing... or a few inches more). It'll be fun to try it out of aluminum. We'll see how it goes, then give a big "Thank you" to Warren for posting his how-to photos. John (airmoose) kept pushing me that direction, so it's his fault, too. This is the pic of Warren's retracto-ma-gizmo:

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2011 :  18:13:33  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW! I just now got back from buzzing around the industrial park on the Speedster FS. That Schlumpf HSD is perfect.

Life is quite bitchin'.

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  23:17:01  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had an interesting ride with John (airmoose) and a few others today. It started off with me not having the Schlumpf kicked into the low gear setting properly. =)

I struggled up some hills with it in high gear and just about bonked. Throw on top of that the fact that I still have bronchitis and you get me being the slow dude on the ride. Haaaaaaah!

The guys were great, though, and accomodated my condition. The ride got shortened to 30 miles so that I could get my sick butt back home. When I finally got the hang of the Schlumpf (hadn't been heel striking the shift button hard enough) there were some slight downhills. Having the high gearing allowed me to haul butt.

I'll be riding some more next week as I get better and start commuting by bike. After the H channel arrives I'll put the fairing on.

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  20:00:54  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went for a simpler ride today, along the Rillito River MUP to do more study about the bike. I've found that the TerraCycle rear idler is making quite a racket when the lower gears are used. It's not a product problem, it's just that the rib height of the pulley can scrape due to change of the chain angle when in those gears. I'll re-shape that rib and have a quiet ride.

The chain return path is quite extreme and does cause a bit of drag. I can ride almost anywhere without needing to worry about the wheel touching the chain, so I am going to straighten out the chain's path and free it up.

Next, I will switch to Primo Comet Kevlar tires front and back to achieve a lower rolling resistance and tighter turn capability up front (with the chain hanging down low). I will lose the nice quality that the Big Apples have over textured roads, but will still have the nice, supple suspension.

These things will increse the Speedster's performance a bit.

The #1 thing that I can do to pick up speed, aside from FINALLY riding some more, is to lose some more weight. I've lost 20 and currently work to lose another 25. I'll get there!

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  16:10:34  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I got to study the chain line some more today. The return is looking pretty good now, thanks to the Schlumpf HSD. Because it only has a small 34 tooth ring, the circumference is small enough to open up possibilities. I found that installing the return chain tube directly to the bottom rib of the seat provided the best location.

In addition, I can eliminate one of the power side idlers by re-locating the TerraCycle idler to the bottom of the seat, just to the inside and back from the return tube location. Bwah-haaaah! Now, I've got to make a mount for it or see if I can buy an existing one online.

The friction is already GREATLY reduced with the new chain return path. Getting rid of one power-side idler will also help a lot.

The front wheel turning won't be impeded, either! This Schlumpf High Speed Drive is proving to be more and more useful, aside from providing the higher gearing that I needed. The greatly improved chain path should more than compensate for the tiny percentage of power loss in the Schlumpf.

Ah, this is working out nicely.

Jeff in Tucson

Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  18:09:02  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today, I found that TerraCycle makes a mount that fits the 1.75" main boom on the Speedster FS. I found that there is a 'sweet spot' on the boom, just in front and below the seat, that will allow enough clearance to mount the single TerraCycle idler. This will allow me to trim off the rear idler tabs and have the power side of the chain follow a similar path to the non-powered side of the chain. The mount will be here in 2 days, then I'll have improved the power side to having a single idler. The chain rotates really nicely in this configuration and it is better than mounting the sprocket idler to the underside of the seat. The chain will clear the front wheel nicely, meaning that I'll continue to use the Big Apples for a while before deciding to go with the Comet Kevlar.

It now takes a LOT less effort to spin the cranks vs. the original configuration.

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  15:27:07  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aw, yeah! TerraCycle got the idler parts out to me quickly! I installed the idler in its new location allowing me to reduce the number of idlers on the power side to 1. Bwah-haaaaaaaah! It clears everything nicely.

Also, my H-channel showed up! It's just the right size and has a little more flex than I expected, making my life easier. I'm not too far away from putting the fairing onto the bike now. I need to go for another ride this weekend to confirm that the Speedster FS' new chain line configuration is successful.

Fun, fun, fun. =)

Jeff in Tucson

*EDIT: I just now rode the Speedster FS in the parking lot... WOW! What a difference! It is nice and quiet with none of the chain binding issues if you spin the pedals backward.

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 05/26/2011 15:50:20
Go to Top of Page

teubner
recumbent guru

803 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2011 :  16:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used the H-channel from Menards for joining two pieces of thin panelling. Around $0.89 for a 8 foot chunk as I remember. But just pastic: no structural strength.
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 :  16:44:05  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I trimmed 1 half of the fairing today to clear heel strike and other interferences. The other half was lined up and marked for trimming tomorrow. I mounted the fairing mounts and held the parts up for a look-see. 'Getting close!

I rode the Speedster FS over the weekend with its new chainline. Yesssss! It's a sweet ride. Though still ill, I'm coming out of it and felt much stronger. It was nice to not have to struggle to keep up with anyone.

Jeff in Tucson

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 05/31/2011 16:45:33
Go to Top of Page

VeloV
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  20:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,
Nice to see your build coming-along. I just got in a dormant blue(same paint as yours, but blue) Speedster FS, and we're learning what's working for you while poring over our catalogs to get this one set-up. I'll send a picture when it's more than a stick on the stand.
A lot of customer projects on the docket, so may take a while.
BTW-I did finally get the repl'c boom in, if you're concerned about the scuffing. Let me know and I'll send it your way; otherwise it'll be in-stock as a spare.

Cheers,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2541 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  12:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LunaticFringe

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Lem

It is odd how the red on blue makes my eyes hurt!

Larry Lem

Weird, huh?! The contrasting colors with high levels of chroma (intensity) over-stimulate the cones in your eyes. Other colors will do it, too. The best colors tend to be close to opposites on the 'color wheel' and are bright. Some darker colors can do it, too, but the more intense colors are easier to make 'vibrate'.

'Sorry, Larry... you know I HAD to do this one, just for you.

Jeff in Tucson

More crazy paint for Jeff
A static picture that moves.

[/url]

Larry Lem

Edited by - Larry Lem on 06/06/2011 12:21:31
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  16:47:13  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

More crazy paint for Jeff
A static picture that moves.

Larry Lem

Freaky!

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  16:59:58  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I installed the H channel on one half of the fairing today. I cut the back side to help it go around the curve... easy!

I used silicone adhesive to hold it in place and set it on the floor to cure overnight. I'm glad that I didn't get the H channel any smaller. It was a perfect fit.

Jeff in Tucson

Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  10:21:00  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Windwrap fairing mounts made it really easy to attach the fairings at the front. My buddy, Felipe, helped me to holds things in place, etc., yesterday. I may do a test ride after some more trimming in about an hour.

We'll see how the zip ties hold up. I may need to double them up for strength, but they seem to hold fairly well, bouncing the bike around in the shop.

Jeff in Tucson

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 06/12/2011 10:26:18
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  13:28:41  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'Gotta go. Crazy busy. Maiden voyage! Post video tonight. Hit by powerful gust of wind and handled it with no problem (it pays to be fat). Need minor adjustment to mount for 1/8" more knee clearance. Easy to ride. Easy to see out. Comfy and quick... bye!

Wahooooooo!

Jeff in Tucson

Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1272 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LunaticFringe

'Gotta go. Crazy busy. Maiden voyage! Post video tonight. Hit by powerful gust of wind and handled it with no problem (it pays to be fat). Need minor adjustment to mount for 1/8" more knee clearance. Easy to ride. Easy to see out. Comfy and quick... bye!

Wahooooooo!

Jeff in Tucson

Mine did, too. Except my mounts are a little tougher to adjust:

Your machine looks bitchen'.

Edited by - Jeff Wills on 06/12/2011 18:15:01
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:19:58  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please forgive the video quality. It was a bad road and I was in a big hurry to go home and work on my honey-do list.

The video shows the maiden voyage of the Lunatic Fringe Streetliner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzApF2rY8Z0

There is more work to do, but I can now start riding. My Flevo velomobile roof will be available in 1-2 weeks and I'll add an aero section behind my head to support it. With a low-use mold, I copied the one that I sculpted on the trike velo that I'd built.

'Getting there!

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:22:17  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mine did, too. Except my mounts are a little tougher to adjust:

Your machine looks bitchen'.

Thank you, sir! My knee looks just like yours. Hah!

Jeff in Tucson

Edited by - LunaticFringe on 06/12/2011 18:27:06
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  22:44:04  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This shows how I get into the Lunatic Fringe Streetliner. I made the adjustments to clear knees and trimmed for better steering in the forward cockpit. I also slightly enlarged the leg openings for extra stability when stopped at lights. I can't wait for the Flevo velomobile roof to come in! I have the rear aero section waiting to go onto the bike.

In one pic, you can see my hand on the table by the bike. I didn't even need to balance myself... I just braced since it was there. I didn't even notice that I'd done it until I saw the photo. Hah!

Jeff in Tucson

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3726 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  04:54:09  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little door would make it alot easier to get in and out. Last year I fell over and twisted my knee and couldn't ride between your photo #2 and #3. 125 miles from home (Sheboygan, Wi) and had to call my wife to get a ride back.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  08:06:11  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

A little door would make it alot easier to get in and out. Last year I fell over and twisted my knee and couldn't ride between your photo #2 and #3. 125 miles from home (Sheboygan, Wi) and had to call my wife to get a ride back.

C:
Tony Levand

Yep, a small door could be really cool! I'll see what the nuisance/safety factor is like before cutting one in. It feels OK so far. One thing that can help is to install the outriggers. I now have the parts and need to make a bench model to see if I actually want to put it in. I have some AWESOME telescopic fiberglass square tubing and rubber wheels ready to go...

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3726 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  11:00:27  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Then you don't need the big foot holes using landing gear, probably reduce the drag by half.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

LunaticFringe
recumbent guru

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  12:31:57  Show Profile  Visit LunaticFringe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

Then you don't need the big foot holes using landing gear, probably reduce the drag by half.

C:
Tony Levand

I absolutely need the foot holes. They are actually a bit tight (I'm a big dude). This is for commuting and having fun. There will be many situations where relying solely upon outriggers would be dangerous.

This is basically a 2 wheeled velomobile... a streetliner... not a streamliner built for racing. It is akin to the Coyote streetliner. It has big holes on its sides, mine has big holes top and bottom, for similar reasons... ease of use and cooling.

Jeff in Tucson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000