Page: of 22

mhelander
recumbent enthusiast

Finland
383 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  12:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Bateman

Do you think this bike would be streetable?
Or is it too hard to steer for city streets?

I would guess why not if not minding poor frontal visibility, hard crank interference and such. Much like racing trim lowracer on streets.

Not a problem for me at least to transfer ride from/to suburb to open roads. There speed potential can be utilized all the way...

Cheers,
-Mika

Diy bents: Full-suspended off-roader @ 2012, Vendetta clone @ 2012
Commerials: MetaPhysic 700c @ 2011, M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2524 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  13:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone has different opinions on streetability.
Some bikes are more streetable than others. Warren's bike doesn't appear very streetable, but I suspect a lot of folks would try it on the street, just as a lot of folks ride NoComs on the street.

I would guess that they don't ride them in Manhattan (on New York City streets), though. I wouldn't bother riding any recumbent bike there.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  16:15:13  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It steers fine, but not at low speeds. If you know there are no potholes or other road debris then it's fine to ride it on the roads, but it wasn't designed for that. I think if I were going to ride it on the street I'd raise the seat back so it's not so laid back and I could see over the head tube. I have yet to do a TT on it but hopefully I will soon!

I'm planning on racing it at Northbrook after racing the streamliner, so we'll see what it does on low wattage.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2015 :  17:20:40  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I raced the D7CLR after racing the streamliner on the 2014 100 lap Northbrook velodome race. I was not exactly fresh for the 50 lap unfaired race but the bike performed well. It did not perform better than the NoCom.

I decided it was too squirrelly with the front wheel disk, riding it with the deep dish wheel is fine. Also I really hate looking through the headset to see the road. Because it's not fun to race it, and it's no faster than the NoCom, I will be de-radicalizing this bike to make it more road friendly. This will involve raising the seat back to make it high enough to see over the headset, changing the handlebars to be higher and running something other than a front disk wheel. I think it will still be fast, and also more fun to ride.

Today I hacked the back and front of the frame apart.

Edited by - warren on 05/02/2015 17:23:36
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3755 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  17:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build another swoopy frame!
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3755 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  17:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build another swoopy frame!
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  05:50:00  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it will end up looking a lot like this:

This was my original concept with a 25 degree seat like the NoCom and my CF highracer.
Go to Top of Page

cplager
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  05:55:14  Show Profile  Visit cplager's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren

I think it will end up looking a lot like this:

This was my original concept with a 25 degree seat like the NoCom and my CF highracer.

Here's a random not-so-helpful comment:

As long as you're building a front wheel drive, consider MBB. Having your legs help steer makes it easier to run with a disk on the front wheel.

http://Charles.Plager.net
http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  16:57:26  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not ready to build a MBB bike.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  09:00:45  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did some more hacking and laid out the 1X drawing. It looks like the seat was actually at 5 degrees before hacking, and that it will be at 20 degrees after reconstruction. Probably.

Here are all the parts laid out on the 1X drawing. Wheelbase will now be 51 inches with the rear wheel tucked in tight behind the seat.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  09:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool!
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2015 :  17:57:13  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After much cutting and jigging and brazing, the bike is more or less back together. Due to a lack of double and triple checking, it ended up with a bit less trail and a bit lower BB than designed.

Seat - 16"
BB - 20.5"
Trail - around 1"
Wheelbase - probably 52"

I also hacked off the handlebars and moved them 10 degrees up. A quick test ride showed that at low speed it still handles fine.

Edited by - warren on 05/16/2015 17:57:37
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  17:14:15  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote

One lap of Waterford on the Dual 700C Lowracer

https://youtu.be/UuihTO-O_lg
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3755 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  17:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of magic is this???
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3803 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  20:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

What kind of magic is this???

Yes Warren - how did that rotate? How was it attached to your helmet? I wish I would have seen that live! It looks like you are being powered from a mother ship in orbit around your head!
:-) :-)
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3803 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  20:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, its much clearer if you change the settings on Youtube to display in 480 dpi instead of the 144 dpi that it starts out with
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2524 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  20:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping for another song.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1271 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  21:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren

One lap of Waterford on the Dual 700C Lowracer

https://youtu.be/UuihTO-O_lg

Cool! But that camera mount is making me dizzy...

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  07:48:56  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The camera is mounted to a 6 foot long rod that is attached to the top of my helmet. Basically it is a carriage bolt through the top of the helmet, a bunch of washers to allow the rod to spin, and a locknut to hold it all together. There is a counterweight on the opposite side of the rod from the camera. I should have aimed the camera a bit lower so you couldn't see the rod, then it would have been really mysterious. I'm using a stainless steel rod now but it's a bit heavy.

Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  16:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed the heck out of it Warren. Thanks for sharing. But I was thinking "Oh sure, anybody could ride fast with a helicopter.". Mr Gadget taught us that (I'm too old for him but my grandkids ain't).

Is it easy to hook up a remote screen to those for a camera bike? Maybe they use a completely different system for CBs.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  19:06:41  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are special small cameras they make that work well for camera bikes, and screens made for cars, so it's easy to build a 12v camera bike system.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2015 :  13:45:16  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The camera moves in several ways.
* Inertia - when going around a corner it wants to stay in the same place.
* Wind - The camera end has the largest surface area, so it wants to move to the back.
* By hand - I can spin the camera around when I want to give a quick 360 view.

Picture by Larry Oslund
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  11:17:26  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be racing this bike at the NB races this year. It's pretty well dialed in now. The NB track is pretty smooth, so the RR difference between the 20" NoCom wheel and the 700C wheel should be minimal.

I'll be changing to use my MTB shoes rather than the road shoes. The road shoes have the shoe tightener knob on the heel. During the Michigan races the knob would hit the derailleur occasionally (too often!), causing the shoe to loosen up. I was able to tighten it again without stopping, but lost valuable time.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  05:42:56  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the recumbents forums!

Yes, this is the bike I raced this past weekend. I'm pretty happy with the performance.

Thanks,

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 07/30/2015 05:45:37
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6114 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  17:56:32  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I really like this bike. It would be even better if it weighed 20 lbs. Here's a concept of what it would look like in CF. Not much different. I'd like to make it separable at the bottom of the down tube so it can be transported in the truck of a car. It would be faster as a RWD bike and this layout would support that, but the FWD is so convenient.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000