New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jcr
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  21:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What techniques or gear can I use to help with butt fatigue after an hour or more in the seat? I want to work up to a 300 mile trip, but currently have to stop and stretch after the first hour and the second hour is uncomfortable. I love my Sun X-frame, but don't know how to cope with the sore-butt issue during longer rides. I'm riding 2-3 times per week.
Thanks
Jim

warren
human power expert

USA
6530 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  05:47:09  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Lean the seat back more. An extremely upright seat is the source of butt pain.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  14:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
warren, Is it true that the more recline you have in the seat, the closer the seat bottom needs to be to the crank?
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6530 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  15:00:16  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That depends on the seat. It's more true for Euro style hardshell seats than the Sun seats where the back moves independently from the base.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  18:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A RANS seat on a Tailwind. It is all in one piece.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6530 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  20:45:52  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, seat pan tilts up as seat tilts back, so you may need to adjust the seat a bit forward when you tilt it back.
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  20:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My problem is tailbone pain. I broke it once. I have my seat all the way back now, and will try it tomorrow. I move it back the only notch left today, and moved my seat about 1/4 inch forward. Any other ideas on my tailbone pain elimination project. Thanks for you comments.
Bill
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

429 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  04:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using Confor foam pads on my trike. Depending on temperature, I use either soft (winter) or medium (summer). The foam used to be called Temperfoam and is the stuff used by NASA for astronaut seat pads. You can google search the stuff, there are several suppliers. I got 1" thick pads (16 x 18") 1 soft and 1 medium and cut them in half so I have 4 9"x16" pads. I use one pad on my trike. When it's cold I use the soft one and when warm-hot, I use the medium one as the stuff gets stiff when cold. It's the same family of viscoelastic foams as the memory foam mattresses. You might try cutting a U in the foam so the contact with your coccyx is eliminated, while still supporting the glutes. You could also carve some foam away from the foam pad in your RANS seat.
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  16:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For anyone who cares, I solved my butt pain problem by getting a lumbar support made of foam, stuffed it down between the back of the seat and the seat back, leaned my seatback all the way back, got my seat distance right after several adjustments, and now I have a dream ride.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6530 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  18:20:56  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm happy to hear that!
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  14:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked too fast. I rode 20 miles this morning, and my butt and lower back are killing me. I can not figure out what I can do to carrect the problem. Very frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

tank
Starting Member

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  00:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that I live in the UK and that seeing a doctor here is free (apart from what we pay the NHS via Tax) but have you seen a medical professional about this problem. I am not trying to be rude but the problem may not be with the equipment but may be showing up a medical problem you have that has not been diagnoised previously.

Hope you manage to get this sorted soon.
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  11:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tank,
I don't take that is rude at all. I appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Bill
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6530 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  14:20:34  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tried sticking another layer of foam under your butt? Maybe that will get your coccyx above the metal tube.
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  14:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The is the RANS seat that has the bottom cushion in a "PAN" rather than on a flat surface. The problem is the back lip of the "PAN" cuts into my butt when I am sitting because the foam compresses down past the lip. I have just inserted an old gel cushion off an old DF bike under the RANS cushion, and extended it over the lip in the back. It's kind of strange feeling, but it might work. I also put the lumbar support I bought in between the front and back mesh panels on the lower back of the seat. I'll take her out for a spin in the morning and see what I've got. I bought a recumbent for comfort, and so far it has been a battle to find it.
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  15:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, since the bike is 11 years old, I probably need to order a new RANS seat pad. That foam probably deteriorates over the years, you think?
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6530 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  05:59:55  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it probably has been crushed down, You could always just try some cheap foam for a test.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2012 :  20:28:26  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a "fix" for the old style RANS pan that entails running a reinforcement strap across the bottom near the back and cutting a crescent from the pan almost to the inside top surface of the bottom of the pan. The Stealth way is to rivet the strap inside the pan, the slightly stronger way is to rivet the strap to the outside of the pan. I'm told that either way works fine as long as the strap sits flush to the pan. Use a 1"*.065 steel strap that covers the area from either side of the seat mount.

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Go to Top of Page

billberry12
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  16:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but that is way too complicated for a novice like me. I am trying to learn to just slide my butt a little forward on the seat, rather than all the way back. Seems to be working for two rides so far. I have no idea why I have such a tendency to want to push up against the lower back of my seat. Weird.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000