Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old Man
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  15:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello.
I am new to electrics and looking to get my first setup on my 12 yr old ez-3.
I came across the electro portal site advertising an ecospeed 4. This is quite different than ecospeed's equipment advertised on their own site. In addition I have been advised that a hub motor on the front would be easier and better than the ecospeed 4. I came here looking for educated and unbiased (by profit) advise.
I am looking for an introductory product to get some experience before planning and building another electric trike for touring.
I am not looking for any particular product endorsement, but advise on the two approaches.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks, Bruce

warren
human power expert

USA
6119 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  16:19:40  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce,

Electoportal sells the Cyclone kit for the EZ-1 and EZ-3. This is a fine product for under 20 MPH. It's pretty much the same thing you can get here: http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order-double.htm A hub motor would work fine too, though you may have a hard time finding someone to lace one into the 16" wheel on the front of the EZ trike. Maybe one of the eZee or MXUS small geared hub motors will work for you. These guys may put an eZee into a 16" wheel if you ask nice. http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_ezee.php You will want to stay away from lead acid batteries. A LiFePo4 battery from a respected vendor will work well for you.

-Warren
Go to Top of Page

Old Man
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  13:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Warren.
You seem to think that Cyclone is a reputable company. Would you know anything about their bikes or have an opinion on buying such from them?
Thanks again,
Bruce
Go to Top of Page

OpusthePoet
recumbent guru

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  17:11:53  Show Profile  Visit OpusthePoet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I know about Cyclone is their mid-drive is based on a reliable brushless motor combined with a decent controller and a reliable if not very efficient gearbox that slows everything down to human levels. They had some vendor issues with their LiFePO4 packs (mostly with them mot being actual LiFePO4 chemistry but defective LiPo that wouldn't take a full charge). Their bikes I know nothing about, caveat emptor.

Opus

My gas is up to $0.99 a burrito, $5.99 for premium and I'm only getting 10 miles to the regular burrito. Dang $0.99 burritos are smaller now.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6119 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  18:26:41  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The EcoSpeed system is overpriced. Cyclone doesn't sell bikes just motors. You are looking for a motoor for your existing bike, right? Are you planning on installing it yourself or having it installed?
Go to Top of Page

nerdmobile

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  19:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm partial to hub motors, although both have advantages and disadvantages. A mid drive has more frictional losses, is a more complicated installation and more expensive. However they can take advantage of the gear ratios of your rear derailer giving you extra low end torque or top end assist. A hub motor is simpler, has negligible frictional losses when not being used and costs less. A large part of the cost may be the batteries. 48 volts of 10 amp SLA batteries will weigh about 36 lbs and be good for a couple of hundred charges, and cost $85. The same LiPo batteries will weigh about 12 lbs, be good for a thousand charges but cost $500. As for lacing a hub onto a small rim, it may be difficult on a 16" unless you go for a smaller hub motor as Warren mentioned. The lacing part is easy, spokes can be ordered in any length for about $1 each or less. However, you can get a larger hub motor for the rear wheel, which will accept any common freewheel up to a 9 cog.

jeff garrett
Go to Top of Page

chi6er
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  20:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just built a twin 16" (305) fun bike using a small motor, it's only a 24v motor with a 36v controller powered by a 48V LIPO (6S). top speed is low 20's. the wheel was built 1 cross, little differculty, originally I was going radial, the easier way, but I never tried 1 cross, so I gave it a go.

here is the motor;

http://www.greenbikekit.com/index.php/electric-motor/rear-bldc-1/24v-100r.html

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

nerdmobile

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  20:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds cool, would like to see a picture. I have an older folding bike with 16 inch wheels and I think bikes with the little wheels are neat. I have an old Specialized Rock Hopper mountain bike (biopace triple and all) which I have a 48 volt motorized front hub, with a 4 pack of 7 ah 12 volt sla's. My wife rides it with our dog in a carrier while she tries to keep up with me in the nerdmobile.

jeff garrett
Go to Top of Page

chi6er
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2013 :  15:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is picture on endless sphere, prior to my mounting of batteries in front triangle...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49236
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000