Page: of 2

Juanjo Vaucelles
Starting Member

Argentina
32 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  15:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damjan Zabovnik has a new website:
www.eivie4.com

He says: "If you though Eivie III or Eiviestretto was fast, you have seen nothing yet. We are announcing Eivie 4 human powered vehicle, which will blow you away"

It will be interesting to see the development of a better fairing than Eivie III. I'd like to see an Eivie 4 with a sharper nose ala Matt Weaver style combined with a low frontal area...

Juanjo Vaucelles

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2539 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2012 :  19:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A true pioneer.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  06:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very exciting. Also, Juanjo's involvement from S. America amazes.
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
466 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  07:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damjan is the man. I remember his first trip to Battle Mountain with Eivie I and a very large and powerful track racer teammate, who was ill at ease with at going backward on the narrow highway, at a best run of 63 mph. Damjan piloted the over sized Eivie I to to best speed of 68 mph. Also a great video of him breaking away from a whole pack of road racers of his short wheelbase spandex faired bent. A design genius.
Go to Top of Page

Juanjo Vaucelles
Starting Member

Argentina
32 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  17:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started playing around with 3D modeling in my free time, and I tried different settings when designing a high performance bike.

I have never thought of designing a backwards riding machine as the Eivies but it seems a good way to keep a low profile fairing when you have the pedal box at the end of the bike. I always liked Matt Weaver's designs so I came up with a sharp nose (ok, maybe not too sharp as Matt's bikes, but close ...). I donít know how this profile - configuration could handle crosswinds, having the rider (thatís me!) in a ultra low body position.

But after seeing Damjan inside Eivie III and Aurelien or Sean riding almost flat to ground, maybe my concept is not too crazy...

Overall length: 280cm - 110.2 in
Widest point: 40cm - 15.7 in
Shoulder width point: 35cm - 13.8 in
Fairing height: 58cm - 22.8 in
Ground clearance: 6cm - 2.4 in

Backwards riding, mirror navigated
Cranks length 150mm, Q-factor 40mm
17 inch front wheel, 20-451 rear wheel

What do you think guys? All opinions are welcomed.

Juanjo Vaucelles
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2539 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  19:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely pictures, but then what?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

DamjanZ
recumbent enthusiast

Slovenia
282 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  20:44:59  Show Profile  Visit DamjanZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For beginning maybe compare the design with existing ones and then, well, call the expert. ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Lem

Lovely pictures, but then what?

Larry Lem

Damjan

"Rowing forwards is possible, but hard."
Go to Top of Page

Lizard100
Starting Member

Finland
27 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  03:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Lizard100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Juanjo hello !

Looks awesome.

Is it possible that a trike would become faster one day than a 2 wheelie ?

Edited by - Lizard100 on 12/10/2012 03:42:27
Go to Top of Page

Juanjo Vaucelles
Starting Member

Argentina
32 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  07:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but this is only a render, I don't plan to build something like this. I'm into another speedbike configuration.

Could a speedtrike be faster than a speedbike in a near future? Well, after trying to design some trikes a few years ago, I particularly don't think so, but who knows...
There are people much more experienced than me in this forum, and they can have a better idea about it.

Juanjo Vaucelles
Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

865 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  08:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lizard100

Juanjo hello !

Looks awesome.

Is it possible that a trike would become faster one day than a 2 wheelie ?

Lizard100, Welcome!

Absolutely. I'm not sure why you asked that question on this thread, but I'll answer it here. There is no law of physics that clearly states one configuration is faster than the other. Bikes and Trikes each have their own advantages and disadvantages. They have been discussed ad naseum on these forums in the past. If you would like to discuss them more, I would suggest you start a new thread, or continue an old one on the subject.

-Regards
Raymond

Too Many Chiefs
Hummer (not the car)
Orion Speedtrike
Swift
Go to Top of Page

Lizard100
Starting Member

Finland
27 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  13:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Lizard100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok I did start a new thread at the velomobiles section.
Go to Top of Page

DamjanZ
recumbent enthusiast

Slovenia
282 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  10:44:59  Show Profile  Visit DamjanZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Juanjo, how tall are you?

Damjan

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  14:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And, are you a good rider?
Go to Top of Page

mhelander
recumbent enthusiast

Finland
384 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  22:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be in place to build/sell/loan training bike before investing to Damjan's design.

Thom's right, not everyone is able to ride head first, laying back and navigating through mirror... our local hero's been also trying, I've heard, but no more details about that.

Cheers,
-Mika

Diy bents: Full-suspended off-roader @ 2012, Vendetta clone @ 2012
Commerials: MetaPhysic 700c @ 2011, M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010
Go to Top of Page

Lizard100
Starting Member

Finland
27 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  00:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Lizard100's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Presented EIVIE 4 is 100 mm longer than Eivie II...won't the wetted area increase and weight ?

quote:
Originally posted by mhelander

Might be in place to build/sell/loan training bike before investing to Damjan's design.

Thom's right, not everyone is able to ride head first, laying back and navigating through mirror... our local hero's been also trying, I've heard, but no more details about that.

Cheers,
-Mika

Diy bents: Full-suspended off-roader @ 2012, Vendetta clone @ 2012
Commerials: MetaPhysic 700c @ 2011, M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010

http://max3fan.blogspot.fi/

Simplicate and add lightness !

-Ed Heinemann
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  08:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like wetted are means anything with our Reynolds Numbers? Or the increased weight with a four inch increase in length? Really? It has the lowest drag of almost anything on the planet and you bring up "wetted area"?
Go to Top of Page

Lizard100
Starting Member

Finland
27 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  10:03:38  Show Profile  Visit Lizard100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Like wetted are means anything with our Reynolds Numbers? Or the increased weight with a four inch increase in length? Really? It has the lowest drag of almost anything on the planet and you bring up "wetted area"?

I think the wetted area may even stay below ( looks leaner )..but there could be substantial increase in weight with just 100 mm more length.
My racer is just 2070 mm long and has 0.211 m2 frontal area. I get it to weigh just 10 kg ( hopefully ).

-Ed Heinemann

Edited by - Lizard100 on 12/21/2012 10:04:24
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2012 :  13:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another 100mm might add a few ounces to the total hpv weight. That is insignificant at BM. If you actually build a liner, and if it goes faster than Damjan's, then maybe you can tell us about hpv design. I look forward to seeing your competitive machine.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Schneider
recumbent enthusiast

131 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  04:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lizard100,

This is slightly off topic but looking at your design, if you move the front wheels and the CG closer and add small elevators and rudder you could lift off the small high drag rear wheel (and retract it) above say 30mph. Steer with the rudder using a joystick (needed to keep the machine level)

Tom.
Go to Top of Page

Juanjo Vaucelles
Starting Member

Argentina
32 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  11:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DamjanZ

Juanjo, how tall are you?

quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

And, are you a good rider?

I'm a 178cm tall amateur track/road cyclist. Don't know if I could fit Eivie II... I should design and build another frame with a smaller rear wheel and cranks, narrower q factor...

My design proposal for Eivie 4 was just a tribute to Damjan and Matt, two pioneers that I'd like to meet some day!

Juanjo Vaucelles
Go to Top of Page

Lizard100
Starting Member

Finland
27 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  02:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Lizard100's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Schneider

Lizard100,

This is slightly off topic but looking at your design, if you move the front wheels and the CG closer and add small elevators and rudder you could lift off the small high drag rear wheel (and retract it) above say 30mph. Steer with the rudder using a joystick (needed to keep the machine level)

Tom.

Tom I have two 14 mm thick rear wheels..and just tiny bit of drag to get some air to flow in from the NACA inlet at front.

-Ed Heinemann
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  08:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Juanjo, do you have the means to building an hpv. We would love to see you come up here and race.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Krause
recumbent guru

671 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  09:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gardner Martin experimented with Head-First and brought his trike to B.Mtn. for rides. Gardner got it put together and convinced me to try, "just do what you see in the mirror" he told me, well... I actually figured it out pretty quick and made a respectable lap around the motel parking lot and when I made it back to him he said... "wait! I got the steering on backwards" whipped out a wrench and flipped it around. now it was backwards from what it was before and I had a real hard time with the second lap....
Juanjo, come to Battle Mountain with or without a bike, I think you found your tribe.
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1806 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  13:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al, that tribe would be the Hekawis, yes? *

*F Troop reference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Troop

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://garriehill.winkflash.com/
and
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

DamjanZ
recumbent enthusiast

Slovenia
282 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  14:28:46  Show Profile  Visit DamjanZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Juanjo Vaucelles

What do you think guys? All opinions are welcomed.

Juanjo Vaucelles

Your design looks pretty small for a 178cm tall guy. What is your 1-hour power? Your 1-minute best performance?

Damjan

Go to Top of Page

DamjanZ
recumbent enthusiast

Slovenia
282 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  01:48:12  Show Profile  Visit DamjanZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Schneider

Lizard100,

Tom.

This is a very good idea for video games makers :)

Damjan

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000