Electric bike trip simulator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

evelorution
Starting Member

France
3 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  04:29:06  Show Profile  Visit evelorution's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there.

I don't have yet an electric recumbent bike but I have already a tool to simulate its behaviour here => http://www.electricbikerange.info/Electric_bike_range.html.

In principle, you can model any kind of bike you want and you can see in the adavance parameters that you can choose recumbent bike. I didn't validate the results for recumbent bike (because I don't have one yet) but it is already working well for electric bikes

Also, don't push the reload button with firefox because you may experience bug then There is a reinit button to edit a new trip. Also, I know that the trip editing usability is not ideal...

I would be very happy to have feedback about this simulator which should be also a good tool to compare bikes and recumbent without motors.

www.electricbikerange.info

Edited by - evelorution on 04/16/2013 04:29:57

warren
human power expert

USA
6119 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  18:35:03  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's pretty cool, it says I can get from Chicago to Indianapolis in under 9 hours with a 500 watts ebike motor and a 48V 20ah battery at 33 KPH.. Probably does not include breaks to recharge the battery every 50 miles or so. On the plus side, I think I can ride that fast without a motor.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

evelorution
Starting Member

France
3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2013 :  23:32:07  Show Profile  Visit evelorution's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Warren.

That is normal that you can go very far with an electric recumbent if you can do approximately the same without a motor.

I have been driving 180km at an average speed of 30kmh with my ebike (not recumbent) and a 20Ah48V battery. If you push hard on the pedals you can go very far without charging

You can try with and without motor on the same trip and you will probably see that it does not make a big difference...

You have to know that this trip simulator was designed to help us to understand ebike range in very hilly areas. The elevation energy part is computed exactly and thus the simulator is powerful for very hilly areas.

On a flat trip, you need to fit a bit some parameters (especially the human power one) to end up with accurate results.

ps: sorry for my English, I am not a native speaker...

Go to Top of Page

evelorution
Starting Member

France
3 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  08:24:45  Show Profile  Visit evelorution's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have added an empirical term to be more accurate at low power (where the efficiency of the motor decrease a lot which was not taken into account previously) : http://www.electricbikerange.info/Electric_bike_range.html.
So it might be more difficult to go from Chicago to Indianapolis now ;)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000