www.recumbents.com - My new streetliner (Peregrin on Birk)
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 General Topics
 My new streetliner (Peregrin on Birk)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  08:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Jürg Birkenstock of Birkenstock Bicycles recently completed my new machine. It is based on Charles Henry's Peregrin on Birk (PoB) but has been adapted for use on roads and cycleways. The photo above was taken just after it was unpacked from it's crate that kept it safe on its flight from Zurich, Switzerland to Brisbane, Australia.

The western suburbs of Brisbane where I live is a viable place for a fully-faired 2 wheel recumbent as the winds are usually gentle and there is a reasonable network of cycle-only paths and designated on-road cycle routes. I have been riding a F-40 in this area for four years and based on this experience I was confident I would be able to ride a 2-wheeler with a solid faring.

The PoB consists of a Birk Comet RT to which front and rear fairings are separately attached. The front fairing tilts up to allow un-aided entry and exit. The front fairing incorporates what John Tetz would call bomb-bay doors (Jürg and Charly call them "wings", the machine is named after a Peregrine Falcon, the world's faster bird, after all.) to enable unaided stopping and starting. Tilting the front fairing also gives access to the luggage area behind the seat. The front fairing incorporates a removable and tilt-able windscreen and a removable head cover. A head rest is also incorporated in the front fairing. In my machine the fairing behind the head is a permanent part of the rear fairing (In Charly's machine it is part of the front fairing.). The rear wheel is a 700C HED disc and the front a 406 with carbon disc cover.

My PoB has indicators, head light, tail light and brake light. It includes ventilation holes at the very front and back which double as handles and a ventilation system for the windscreen to reduce the chance of fogging. If the windscreen does fog it can be tilted out of the way while riding. I am currently riding the machine without windscreen and head cover. In this configuration and complete with pedals, bike computer, lights and indicators it weighs 20kg (44 pounds).

Even without the windscreen and head cover the machine is very fast. In the future I may add a powermeter and measure CdA and Crr. Charly has demonstrated the speed of his PoB with his 3min 40second 4000m run on a Velodrome.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvelomobil.ch/ch/de/node/41 (Charly's webpage of 4000m run)

The turning circle diameter of my PoB is about 11m (36 feet). Tighter turns can be handled with a 3-point turn using Fred Flintstone reverse. Even though the underlying bike is a low-racer these tight turns are achieved without risk of chain to front tire interference. The front wheel in addition to its disc cover has its own fairing which overlaps with the wings minimising air leakage in the area of the front wheel. This front wheel fairing turns with the wheel holding the chain off the front wheel. The front wheel fairing also opens the wings slightly during sharp turns; after the turn the wings spring closed again.

The Birk Comet RT is centrally suspended. This provides very good suspension of the rear wheel and fair suspension of the front wheel (see the Birk Comet RT webpage for a better explanation).

The Birkenstock Bicycles website features two youtube videos of my machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6AMWUkJ6c (Jürg demonstrating aspects of my machine.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=642mqiarXw0 (Jürg riding my machine)

I have added daylight visible flashing white (forward facing) and red (rear facing) lights to the very top of the fairing. Currently these lights are not very aerodynamic, I will address this in the future, but they give me a lot of peace of mind.

Below is another view of the flashing lights which also shows the join between the front and rear fairings.

The Pergrin on Birk suits taller riders. Charly is 189cm (6ft 3in) but I also fit fine at 181cm (6ft). I expect Jürg could accommodate riders beyond this height range as well.

I am very pleased with Jürg's craftmanship. The design of the PoB, to which both Jürg and Charly contributed (I don't know the relative contributions), is also in my opinion outstanding.

So now for the first time since the Rotator Coyote it is possible to purchase a commercially produced 2-wheel hard shell streamliner that is seriously fast and can start and stop un-aided. The same machine can also be ridden on the street in the right conditions provided one is prepared to spend time learning how to ride it. (I recommend starting out on an Lightning F-40.)

PS. Could someone please draw this thread to the attention of John Tetz. Reading his many articles and posts helped me to be fairly sure the PoB would be street-able and fun. Thanks also to the many others on this forum whose posts helped me reach this point.

Stix

Peregrin on Birk (Birk Comet RT with full fairing)
Lightning F-40 (built around R-84 frame)
Soma Smoothie Upright

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3803 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  09:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...So now for the first time since the Rotator Coyote it is possible to purchase a commercially produced 2-wheel hard shell streamliner that is seriously fast and can start and stop un-aided. Stix

I agree that Jurg has done a seriously awesome job! That is definitely a fast looking commercial two wheeled streamliner! Glen - congratulations on a wonderful purchase and i look forward to your ride reports!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 06/09/2013 09:16:17
Go to Top of Page

Velofellow

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  13:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I was astounded with this bike when I saw it in the 4000m video a while ago. Now I am even more impressed.

Greg

Carbon Quest QB037
Varna Mephisto
Challenge Fujin
Go to Top of Page

Speedy
recumbent guru

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  08:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
beautiful ! ! !
Go to Top of Page

Joel DIckman
recumbent enthusiast

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  10:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Joel DIckman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Stix,

1) As others have already noted, your new streamliner is an outstanding example of industrial art. Form following function. In one word: WOW!

2) After you have some real miles and experience with it, many of us would like a detailed description of your riding impressions. I would especially appreciate a comparison with your Lightning F40, which you have a number of years of saddle time on.

3) The daytime flashing lights are a very smart addition.

4) If you will forgive me for offering you a bit of unsolicited advice: consider changing the color scheme for increased visual conspicuity on the street. At present it has a perfect whiteness. Very pleasant and elegant. But a contrasting scheme of gloss black paint and 3M yellow green reflective material will be safer. I would sacrifice some aesthetic quality for enhanced safety. Just a friendly thought.

5) I HATE YOU!

Safe riding,
Joel Dickman
http://lightningriders.com

These three prevent most accidents: seeing, being seen, & common sense.

Edited by - Joel DIckman on 06/10/2013 11:50:23
Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  15:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedy

beautiful ! ! !

From the creator of the Rotator Coyote that is high praise indeed.
Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  16:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joel DIckman

Hello Stix,

1) As others have already noted, your new streamliner is an outstanding example of industrial art. Form following function. In one word: WOW!

2) After you have some real miles and experience with it, many of us would like a detailed description of your riding impressions. I would especially appreciate a comparison with your Lightning F40, which you have a number of years of saddle time on.

3) The daytime flashing lights are a very smart addition.

4) If you will forgive me for offering you a bit of unsolicited advice: consider changing the color scheme for increased visual conspicuity on the street. At present it has a perfect whiteness. Very pleasant and elegant. But a contrasting scheme of gloss black paint and 3M yellow green reflective material will be safer. I would sacrifice some aesthetic quality for enhanced safety. Just a friendly thought.

5) I HATE YOU!

Safe riding,
Joel Dickman
http://lightningriders.com

These three prevent most accidents: seeing, being seen, & common sense.

A reply to your points.

1) Yes Charly and Jürg have done a magnificent design job. And Jürg's craftmanship is even more impressive when seen up close in a way photos don't fully capture.

2) I am still in the learning phase of riding this machine. I will write more once that is passed.

3) I feel very confident of being seen with these lights on the machine. They are wide angle and are very noticeable even from the side.

4) I will think about what you have said.

5) I find you comment just a little strong. :). Please consider that I have been working towards getting myself a machine like this for 30 years since I first read the Scientific American article on "The Vector" back in about 1983. While Jürg did all the work in building the machine, it took a great deal of research on my part to find Charly and Jurg's design and be sure it would work for me.

Stix

Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  16:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Velofellow

Wow, that is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I was astounded with this bike when I saw it in the 4000m video a while ago. Now I am even more impressed.

Greg

Carbon Quest QB037
Varna Mephisto
Challenge Fujin

Yes I was also astounded by an earlier version of the Peregrin on Birk. That was the version Charly used in a 24 hour ride at the 2010 Dekra event. Charly's ride then remains the 2nd best ever 24 hour ride. At that time the main body of the fairing was essentially the same except there was no head fairing at all. Also at that time the bike inside was Charly's own design "Peregrin" rather than a Birk Comet RT.

Charly is listed for 6h and 12h record attempts at the Dekra event in July. Let's hope for good weather for the event.

Stix
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1271 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  21:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stix

5) I find you comment just a little strong. :). Please consider that I have been working towards getting myself a machine like this for 30 years since I first read the Scientific American article on "The Vector" back in about 1983. While Jürg did all the work in building the machine, it took a great deal of research on my part to find Charly and Jurg's design and be sure it would work for me.

I think Joel's comment was in jest... but I can sympathize with both of you. I've been riding and building HPV's for 30 years also- I watched the Vectors race at the early IHPSC's. I can only wish for the wherewithal to obtain a similar "streetliner".

Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  21:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wills

quote:

I think Joel's comment was in jest... but I can sympathize with both of you. I've been riding and building HPV's for 30 years also- I watched the Vectors race at the early IHPSC's. I can only wish for the wherewithal to obtain a similar "streetliner".

Jeff,
I knew Joel's comment was in jest as I tried to indicate with my little smily face. Some of the research time I mentioned earlier was spent on Joel's lightning site and forum. I have a lot of respect for Joel and have learnt a lot from his posts. And don't worry I am very thankful that I am in a position to be able to afford to purchase a Peregrin on Birk, to still be in good enough health to enjoy it and to have time to ride it.

I checked your website just now and saw that the Vector article in Scientific American was indeed from 1983 when I was seventeen. The article came out just as I finished high school. I went to on to study Physics to PhD level. I worked hard in that career and with a little luck and some good colleagues had some commercial success. Hence I was able to fulfil my dream of owning a road going streamliner.

Glen

Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1271 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  20:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jeff,

I checked your website just now and saw that the Vector article in Scientific American was indeed from 1983 when I was seventeen. The article came out just as I finished high school. I went to on to study Physics to PhD level. I worked hard in that career and with a little luck and some good colleagues had some commercial success. Hence I was able to fulfill my dream of owning a road going streamliner.

Glen

Yeah, I know. I'm just goofing around.

You actually made money with a Physics PhD? My nephew will be happy to hear that: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~rwills/

Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  03:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In response to email requests here are some dimensions for my PoB.
Length 2.52m (8ft 3in.)
Width 0.51m (1ft 8in.)
Height 1.08m (3ft 7in.) (at the top of head rest, ie. base of the flashing lights)
Height 1.12m (3ft 8in.) (at the top of the head cover)

Shoulder width inside? 0.44m. 17.5inches (My shoulders are about 0.43m 17 inches)

Also I have heard from Jürg that Charly is not going to ride at Dekra.

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3755 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  06:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic design and construction. I imagine it was also fantastically expensive. Which is too bad because I wish there were more of them.
Go to Top of Page

EricksonRacing
recumbent enthusiast

335 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  21:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Really nice!!!
Go to Top of Page

mhelander
recumbent enthusiast

Finland
383 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  22:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Fantastic design and construction. I imagine it was also fantastically expensive. Which is too bad because I wish there were more of them.

Yes, beautiful construction. And likely fast.

Thom, this is something what I'm dreaming to build some day...

Cheers,
-Mika

Diy bents: Full-suspended off-roader @ 2012, Vendetta clone @ 2012
Commerials: MetaPhysic 700c @ 2011, M5 CrMo Lowracer @ 2010
Go to Top of Page

Rhubarb
Starting Member

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  03:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stix / Glen,

We need to meet!!!

I live in Brookfield and commute in to Toowong every day in my Sinner Mango Sport Velomobile. I have seen you a few times on your F-40 on the Centenary bikepath. Im guessing you live in Chapel Hill or thereabouts. I havent seen you since ive had my mango though (9 mths) so you may not be aware of me.

That machine of yours looks sensational!!!!! I cant imagine how fast that must go on the flat. At 20kgs it should be ok on the hills too (my mango weighs 30kgs).

There are actually 3 mangos in Brisbane. We organise rides together every few months if youre interested.

Heres a video put together by one of other mango pilots from one of our rides: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYzajTEwGrc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And here is a video of our ride up and down Upper Brookfield Rd which is simply MADE for your your machine !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irL7oKj__OY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Id love to meet you and check out your machine in person, as well as ride with you occasionally if youre interested.

Cheers,
Ben
Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  04:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben,
good to hear from you. Yes I am aware of you and of the other Mangoes in Brisbane. I will send you personal message.
Glen
Go to Top of Page

velorossi
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  03:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sensational ride guy.... I regularly ride with a friend in a Mango Sport here in Victoria and dream of having a Streamliner to help keep up. I cant wait to hear of your ride experiences. I'm waiting on the arrival of my new Zockra High Racer but I'm now getting buyers remorse,...well almost ;)
Rossi
Go to Top of Page

Duncan
Starting Member

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  15:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful machine!
I will be in Brisbane next week and would love to see it in the flesh.

.. Duncan
Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  17:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan

Beautiful machine!
I will be in Brisbane next week and would love to see it in the flesh.

.. Duncan

That should be possible. I have sent you an email.
Go to Top of Page

Rhubarb
Starting Member

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  14:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's a video I made when I met up with Stix on Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2kfBUgkFs

Edited by - Rhubarb on 06/18/2013 14:18:12
Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  19:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles Henry (Charly, he posts under "carbono") has commented on the German forum about his PoB.

Google translation:

There are currently 17 kg in race trim and it quickly moves comfortably with 210 watts at 75 km / h .. greeting Charly

Interpretation:

Charly's PoB weighs 17kg in race trim and with power input of 210 watts will travel at 75km/h (47mph) on the flat.

Here is the full thread.

Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  22:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The turning circle diameter of the PoB has been improved to 8m (26 feet). This was achieved by adjusting the seat foam so that my shoulders are further forward and slightly higher. This then allowed the handlebars to be shortened slightly improving the turning circle. Pleasingly the changed seating position has also improved my already good outward vision. I measured the turning circle diameter by doing turns on a basketball half court that I had marked up with a chalk scale.

I have also made gear changes much easier by installing an Ultegra Di2 rear derailleur with a climbing shifter(see photo below). I used the Shimano software to activate the multi-shift feature (unlimited gears and very fast setting). I can now changes gears with a fingertip and even downshift to the largest cog while braking hard with the same hand.

These two changes have reduced the stress involved in riding the PoB on my local road and cycleway network.

Stix

Soma Smoothie Upright
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  06:01:59  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very cool. I assume the new derailleur is larger than standard because of the electric parts, etc. How is the clearance to the inside of the fairing?

Any thoughts on personalizing the exterior?

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

stix
recumbent enthusiast

Australia
136 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  17:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren

Very cool. I assume the new derailleur is larger than standard because of the electric parts, etc. How is the clearance to the inside of the fairing?

Any thoughts on personalizing the exterior?

-Warren.

When making my PoB Jürg had to enlarge the rear derailleur bulge because Charly's PoB runs an older rear derailleur with a very short cage and a cassette with only a 27T largest cog. I wanted a 28T largest cog and all modern derailleurs have a longer cage that Charly's. Jürg enlarged the bulge enough to fit modern road derailleurs running a a 28T largest cog. He was also hopeful that an Ultegra Di2 would fit.

As best I can tell by looking through some narrow slots and listening the Ultegra Di2 running a 10 speed 11-28T cassette is not hitting the fairing. It is certainly shifting nicely in all positions. When time permits I will insert a small video camera inside the rear fairing to confirm there is clearance.

I really like the white body of the PoB as it is. I am still considering Joel's comments about adding a contrasting colour to improve visibility.

Stix

Soma Smoothie Upright
Go to Top of Page

W Hilgenberg
recumbent enthusiast

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  00:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The large section of the Ultegra Di2 derailleur is the servo motor which remains stationary. This means that the most protruding section will be the parallelogram which is a constant between all derailleurs of the same gear capacity (9 speed, 10 speed...). So it shouldn't (keyword shouldn't) protrude any farther than your standard road derailleur.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000