New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

itsmedc65
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2013 :  22:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first recumbent and first ebike. Picked it up on 10 August and have only put about 70 miles on it so far. I have all kinds of excuses for the relatively low mileage but the only one that has to with the bike is I need to put fenders on it.

http://www.aerobiccruiser.com/contact-us/

The list of "bike" components includes several that would be familiar to a lot of recumbent fans.

- Standover height of the bike is aproximately 24 inches. With a VERY low center of gravity and is well balanced.
My wife and an older male friend who has a Prodeco X2 both commented on how nicely the bike handles.

- Weight measured on my decade old bathroom scale was 52lbs rear and 48 lbs front with the charger in the tailbag.

- Length - Aprox 65" inch wheelbase and 89" overall including the tires.

- THE SEAT - Rans seat bottom and backrest
The total range of horizontal for the seat bottom is 12" and that varies the vertical height by 5" over that range. My 5' 8" with a 32" inseam is adjusted right in the middle of the adjustment range of the seat bottom.

- Handlebars - Rans 3-Way Chopper

- Headstem - Ritchey with what appears to be a custom handlebar clamp with 6 allen bolts

- Front Fork - Mekkam? MEKS (SASO) MK128-20DS Carbon AC adjustable suspension fork with mounts for both rim and disc brakes.
??? If anyone can provide more information on this fork for either adjustments or rebuilding please post it here

- Front Brake - Shimano Deore rim brake. With good pads and the Alex wheel it does a good job of stopping the bike.

- Front Wheel - 20" inch Alex DX32 laced to a Shimano Deore hub that has the mounting holes for a disc brake if you wanted to add it.

- Front Tire - Maxxis Grifter 20" x 2.1" with EXO protection

- Crankset - VERO FSA aproximately 175mm

- Pedals - Wellgo platform

- Front Sprocket / Chainring 67 tooth with Aerobic Cruiser logo cut into it

- Front chain tensioner / guide - tensioner arm engraved with "Aerobic Cruiser"

- Transmission - Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub mounted mid-ship with 21 tooth sprockets for input and output
- Shifter - Shimano Nexus 3 speed twist grip shifter

- Rear chain tensioner / guide - none from factory. Created a tensioner of sorts from a half section of 4" PVC pipe that also protects the swingarm cross brace from chain rub

- Rear shock - Marzocchi with 650 x 1.5 spring

- Rear Sprocket - 20 tooth on a MAC 7T hub motor

- Rear Wheel - 26" inch Alex DX32 Downhill

- Rear Tire - Maxxis Hookworm 26" x 2.5" inch

- Rear Brake - Avid BB7 MTN

- Brake Lever - Tektro (NOT ebrake equipped)

- Tail bag - Topeak MTX Quick Track
- Mirrycle bar end mirrors (2)
- Bike bell - Mirrycle Incredibell

itsmedc65
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2013 :  22:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And on my second post a long list of the electrical part of the bike.

Batteries - K2 Energy LiFePo 12s10p as a 36V 29Ah pack
Controller - ASI BAC1000
Battery / Controller Box - The battery pack and controller are housed in a large all aluminum enclosure with removable side panels. Located low and in middle front of the bike.
- Enclosure also has the key switch and a 4 pin xlr charge port with a weather resistant cover.
Charger - made by High Power Technology in China and is fused with on/off switch and LED indicators.
- Model HP8204L3 for Li-ion batteries.
- Input 115/230VAC 60/50Hz 2.4/1.3A
- Output 36VDC/4A
Motor - MAC 500 watt, geared with disc brake and single sprocket
Dashboard - large screen CycleAnalyst (ALL the info you need to know about the electrical part plus the basic bike computer info) http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain/CA_Large_V23_Update.pdf
Throttle – thumb throttle FT-21X mounted by the right hand grip but, with standard bike brake levers. So no ebrakes.
Connectors are nice automotive molex type with good weather tight seals both inside the enclosure and along side the inner edge of the swing arm. The ones along the inner edge of the swing arm are held in place with zip ties on to neat little tabs that I assume are welded on the swing arm.
Wiring – covered in a high quality sheathing and tucked neatly out the way.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6050 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  06:57:07  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That looks like a well thought out machine, thanks for sharing. I think it's the first "made for e-bike" recumbent frame I have seen. The transmission choice is a bit odd. I know the MAC hub motor can accept a standard derailleur. Was there no room for a standard derailleur on the rear fork? Maybe they were thinking ease of maintenance. It is true that you don't need many gear with an ebike. I usually use one to start and then just shift up to my highest gear.

I have the same front suspension fork on my commuter recumbent e-bike. The fork is also sold by the Hostel Shoppe as a "SASO" suspension fork. I have thousands of hard miles on the fork. This summer it started sticking in the "compressed" position and I had to take it apart to figure out why. It seems well made and I was not able to completely disassemble it, but there was really no need to as it seems like everything was working properly. I just wiped it down and squirted some medium weight oil into it. It seems to be fine now. I wrote a bit more about taking the fork apart here: http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/e-bent/rc_drive/default.htm

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 09/29/2013 07:12:57
Go to Top of Page

itsmedc65
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  18:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Warren. I had already been looking your build over and the thread on ES but had missed the entry on the MEKS / SASO even tho I did notice it on some of pictures.

As for the midship transmission on the Aerobic Cruiser I think the decision was at least partly influenced by the way some Harley's are built with a primary and secondary drive. What puzzles me about the design decision on the AC is the lack of a chain guide/tensioner on the second chain like they did on the front chain. My one major upgrade wish is to swap a 8 speed hub for the 3 speed. Mainly for the lower gear ratios to make it easier to get the bike moving in an efficient manner. Although as you point out the motor makes most of the gears redundant. I do plan on tweaking the controller and adding a booster pack for the one section of road on my commute that is posted at 45 and has some heavier traffic.

Did a test ride of my commute today to see how the bike and my legs handled the 43 miles round trip. Went well overall but had one minor glitch when I managed to get the 3 speed hung between gears and bound it up for a few seconds until I realized what was happening. Of course its easy to ride when the weather is nice. Actually felt a little cool towards the end in spite of 73 degrees but was crossing over some water. No where near as big as the Fox river and only going 20mph but still got a noticeable temp drop.

EDIT ... realized I had not answered your question about space for a derailleur. There looks to be plenty of space for and ample mounting surface for a derailleur. The rear fork inner space is a bit over 5 inches wide by my rough ruler / eyeball measurement so plenty of room for at least 6 cogs and maybe even an 8.

Edited by - itsmedc65 on 10/10/2013 19:59:19
Go to Top of Page

itsmedc65
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  19:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Total mileage at the end of today was 179 miles and 73Amp hours used. Commuted into work for real for the first time. Averaging about 17 mph and 16 Watt hrs per mile for the 43 mile round trip. For an Avg MPH comparison my DF bikes are at 10.7 mph on the big tire beach cruiser 7 speed and the 700x38 wheeled steel frame 11.4 mph for the last few hundred miles of short trips within a few miles of home.

Warren got me to thinking about peddle rpm and gearing. Not that I have the slightest idea what pedal rpm I work at. The bike is setup with a 67 tooth up front for the front chain that goes back to 21 teeth in the Nexus Inter-3 hub and then 21 teeth out of the Nexus hub (it is used midship as a transmission) with the rear chain going back to a 20 tooth gear on the freewheel of the motor.
So on my commute into work today I was paying attention to what speeds versus what gear I was using.
With 3 gears it breaks out like this. 1st to get rolling but not easily unless it is at least a slight down slope or you use the motor to help get you moving. I have practiced starting with pedal only a slight upslope and can do it but only on a slight upslope. First is good up to about 14mph but if I go into hamster mode I can carry it up to about 16 mph or so.

The direct drive 2nd gear is good from around 13 mph up to about 25 mph but most comfortable for me around 22 mph with the motor doing its part to help me hold that speed.

Above 25 mph is 3rd gear and can add some peddle power even at 35 mph but much above that and I start feeling like the hamster that is about to spin over in the exercise wheel.

If you are interested in an AC bare frame with swing arm and shock includeded they are now for sale on ebay.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6050 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  09:14:49  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you post a link to the ebay auction? I can't find it.

Thanks,

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

itsmedc65
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  08:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like there is not one currently up. The frame sold for $80 ... here is the link from Myebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerobic-Cruiser-Recumbent-Ebike-Frame-Swing-Arm-/251353248769?ViewItem=&maxbid=75.05&item=251353248769&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=pJgALa0j2ejilsXJLF%252FoPZxP%252FXE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_595wt_1057

If you just email or call the contact info on the Aerobic Cruiser site Blair will get in touch with you and you can get it that way.
Aerobic Cruiser
CONTACT INFORMATION
Website - http://www.aerobiccruiser.com/contact
email - info@aerobiccruiser.com
Call - 1-855-474-3322.
You might catch Blair actually in the office during normal business hours but, most likely he will return your contact within an hour or two. That is based on my experiences with having bought a bike and asked a lot of questions before and after.

Edited by - itsmedc65 on 11/04/2013 08:05:35
Go to Top of Page

itsmedc65
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  08:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Specs on the frame from the auction ...
Specs:

Head Tube - 33mm

Bottom Bracket - 33mm

Rear Drop Out - 142mm