New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WisdomWarlord
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  16:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought my first, and hopefully last, recumbent. A Sun EZ-3 HD delta trike.
After a short ride home, I'm convinced this is the best $400 I have ever spent.
The previous owner mangled the rear derailleur so I straighten it by hand and adjusted everything, and I'm good. But, that rear derailleur is literally only an inch and a half off the ground. I'm sure I'll mangle it again. I got grass in it riding in a mowed lot. This bike is going to be my daily driver, in lieu of a car, so I can't be eating rear derailleurs.
It has 20" tires.
What can I do, on a very tight budget, to give that derailleur a fighting chance?

davidw

Netherlands
62 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  02:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a shorter derailleur is probably your best shot. Most derailleurs come in different varieties of cage length.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3765 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  06:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That long derailleur is probably necessary for the wide range cassette. A tighter cassette would allow a shorter derailleur, but would change your gearing. I don't mean to sound negative, but all the ways I can think to fix your situation are pricey. You should probably learn to live with your present setup. Meanwhile save up for a trike with a tall rear wheel.
Go to Top of Page

davidw

Netherlands
62 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  07:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One easy solution (maybe) i could think of is shorten you chain so the derailleur is pointing more forward instead of down.
But again with a wide range cassette that might not work across all the gears.
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer
recumbent guru

USA
619 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  08:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
that rear derailleur is literally only an inch and a half off the ground.
I haven't seen the Sun EZ-3 delta trike in person but web pictures showing it with a long cage derailleur in it's down position still appear to have about 3" of clearance. I'm puzzled why the deraileur on your trike is lower.
Three alternate solutions come to mind.
1. Moving the derailleur towards the front of the frame would give more clearance.
2. Changing the rear wheels to 26" (559) would raise the derailleur but might affect handling.
3. Changing the front fork and Wheel to a 26" would also raise the derailleur, though not quite as much. Steering might be affected.
Doing both 2 & 3 would keep the trike in the same position relative to the ground. The larger wheels would raise the center of gravity making the trike more prone to tipping in turns and when riding across side slopes.
Go to Top of Page

Oldfrt
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  16:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try to mount a secondary chain tensioner on the front of the trike, that should give you enough chain wrap to go to a short cage derailleur. To save some costs, you may be able to adapt the long cage one you have to use as the secondary tensioner.
Go to Top of Page

WisdomWarlord
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  12:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the lag in my participation on this thread. I read the replies and tried the ones that I could. Sadly, none was a complete solution. The derailer hanging down in the middle of the trike, instead of tucked up against the wheel as on a tadpole trike or a bicycle, is the problem. The more I have riden this trike, the more I see it's strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately for me, my needs and wants and riding style bring out the trikes weaknesses. Then again, that's been true of every trike I've seen. So, I'll have to build what I need.
This trike is serving me well for commuting, so this spring I'll tune it up and sell it to fund the bike I have to build.
Thanks for the suggestions and help
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3803 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  14:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're running a single chainring, and a wide-range cassette, a option is the Shimano Zee short cage derailleur. I just ordered one, but haven't installed it yet.

It comes in two models, one that shifts from 11-28 cassette, and the other 11-36 cassette (mine). Its not designed to work with double chainrings up front, because that would require a longer cage to take up more chain.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6120 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  13:32:35  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The other option of course is just to resist the urge to go cross-country and rock-hopping.
Go to Top of Page

WisdomWarlord
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  23:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. I'll look into that derailleur.
Warren, what good is a recumbent of I can't go rock hopping on it? Let's be realistic here! :-D
I need some gravel in my travels!

Edited by - WisdomWarlord on 01/31/2014 23:01:57
Go to Top of Page

Tom Schneider
recumbent enthusiast

112 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  04:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need something off-road rock hopper vehicles have used, a skid pan, under the derailleur! Then you could bounce over the rocks, etc.
Larger wheels will also help.

Smooth trail rider Tom

Edited by - Tom Schneider on 02/01/2014 04:58:41
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
2945 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  10:07:46  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guard:

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000