Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Aure
Starting Member

France
16 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  09:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody,
I keep you informed on the fact that this year, I plan to make a new unfaired hour attempt.
I made and still making improvements on the bike. I gone two times in wind tube in way to help me in that way.
This time, I will have :
- new fork
- an real ergonomic and stiff shoulderest ( the old one hurted me and was not enought stiff )
- headrest integrated in the soulder rest
- new handlebar
- little improvements everywhere

I hope a crazy distance this time, I'm dreaming over 60 km.
In way to increase a little bit more, I wish to do the attempt at the Aguascalientes track ( near Mexico )

I hope to show you pics soon.

See you

Edited by - Aure on 07/13/2014 04:26:15

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  10:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck. Few of us doubt you can do it. Will you be at Battle Mountain?
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6347 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  12:14:46  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Aure,

I'd like to see this be a WWRA record. You may want to note:

WRRA Rules
Updated 5/30/2010
Course and Wind Requirements:
Altitude: Altitudes below 700M (2296 ft) are allowable.

Aguascalientes is located at an altitude of 1,887 meters, which is too high for a WRRA record.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  16:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What the flock? Who thought of that? Can't even use the Colorado Springs Velodrome, let alone any of the historic high altitude tracks? Unbelievable. I was planning on attempting to regain my two world records with my new bike, and perhaps challenge what will certainly be an hour record by Phil, but I am quickly changing my mind.
Aure is once again put in an unfortunate postion of decision. I personally hope he goes to Mexico.
Go to Top of Page

Aure
Starting Member

France
16 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  00:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I allready know the WRRA rules concerning altitude.
It's pretty a damage that it could be recorded by WRRA, but, you know, there is no money and no glory to win. I'm just an hunter of speed. I'm passionate about that, enought young to pedal hard, and time is passing so fast, so like I can do it now I will do it.

Perhaps I will make a try at Bordeaux before. But in all cases, I will use profiled pedals.vAnd so, the record will maybe not be recognized byt WRRA despite the fact that now, my profiled pedals are a smaller now, but the WRRA rules are not more clear than before the pedals controversy so... Personnaly I thought it's damage to not do the WRRA rule more clear on that point, especially when we see that it's needed.
Anyway, "vive le vélo couché !"

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6347 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  06:34:41  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Due to some personnel changes in the WRRA, rules may change. Things are in flux now, we will see.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3819 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  14:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since 1967, cyclists and runners have benefited from going to the high-altitude of Mexico City and setting world records on the track. Aurelien's unfaired one hour attempt is within the same spirit, to see how fast a human can go!

The flying start 200-meter UCI record was set in 1967 in Mexico City. followed the next year 1968 by the One-Hour UCI record by Ole Ritter. Then the 1968 Olympics Track and Field events saw the 100 and 200-meter Sprints and Men's Long-Jump records (by Bob Beamon) smashed. However it is also true that athletes continue to improve and these records were eventually broken at low-altitude.

I know there was some feeling that once we go to altitude, we limit the number of courses world-wide where records can be attempted. (example: Battle Mountain). This may be true, but its also true to see how fast a human can go. I would like to see how far Aure can go!

Edited by - Upright Mike on 03/19/2014 14:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3819 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  14:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UCI Historical Records
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTUxMjc&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NTg5ODQ&LangId=1

ONE-HOUR RECORDS
48km 65392 OLE RITTER (DEN) 10.10.1968 MEXICO (MEX), Olympic Velodrome
49km 43195 EDDY MERCKX (BEL) 25.10.1972 MEXICO (MEX), Olympic Velodrome
50km 80842 FRANCESCO MOSER (ITA) 19.01.1984 MEXICO (MEX), Centre Sp.
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
814 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  07:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IHPVA noted old records as being at low altitude (pre BM). Could there just be a "High Altitude" notation if Aure runs at Aguascalientes?

There'd just be two records.

Edited by - delcrossv on 03/20/2014 07:55:40
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  08:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because it is the WORLD record. Best in ALL the world. There are no two bests in all the world. One whole world, one best.
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
814 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  19:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

Because it is the WORLD record. Best in ALL the world. There are no two bests in all the world. One whole world, one best.

[2 cents]

Different altitudes, different conditions. Just like having different classes. Same planet, different worlds

unless you don't mind having to go to Mexico to do record runs.- Heard it's nice there.

[/2cents]

Edited by - delcrossv on 03/20/2014 19:37:44
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  21:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one planet, one world. Think globally, not regionally. A small thinker doesn't want to leave his region to set a world record. Eddy Merckx didn't pressure them to redefine a world record, he went to the best place in the world and set the record. If you want to set a record at low altitude, go ahead. But it won't be the fastest in the whole world. If I.want a world record I will do what I have to. That is how Sean and I ended up in Battle Mountain, Nevada.
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
814 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  07:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is one planet, one world. Think globally, not regionally. A small thinker doesn't want to leave his region to set a world record. Eddy Merckx didn't pressure them to redefine a world record, he went to the best place in the world and set the record. If you want to set a record at low altitude, go ahead. But it won't be the fastest in the whole world. If I.want a world record I will do what I have to. That is how Sean and I ended up in Battle Mountain, Nevada.

I see your point, but then it's up to the WRRA
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
292 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  07:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with Delcrossy. So long as there are rules associated with a record, and there always is, there will be more than one world record for a given activity.

"Best in All the world" always has qualifications.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  14:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are different bikes, different genders, maybe different ages, BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE WORLD. Of course if you have no chance of ever being involved in setting a world record, say what you want. It will likely mean little to me. That might sound harsh, but if you aren't and active participant, what value do you opinions have in the direct context of the situation? Aure didn't protest to restrict track altitude to that of France. He is committed to being the best. Same as Merckx, Moser, and the rest. Stop thinking regionally and start thinking globally. I fully support disallowing attempts on other planets.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3819 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  15:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I fully support disallowing attempts on other planets.

Best statement ever, Thom! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2534 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  17:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall who has the hour record right now. Sam? Damjan? Francesco Russo? How was each performance verified? What organizations recognize each performance? Which competitors recognize each organization?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3819 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  17:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Francesco Russo has the best mark
Sam is second
Damjan is third
VeloX1 is fourth

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/fastest_list.asp
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6347 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  19:11:14  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, but that's the faired record. Though not officially recognised, Aure currently has the unfaired record at 56.597 km/hr average speed (35.168 MPH). This betters the previous unfaired record set in 1996 by Chris Boardman by 0.138 MPH. Aure now wants do it at 60 KPH! I would love to see it be officially recognised but realize that recognition by the WRRA may be more trouble than it is worth to him, as it places restrictions on his vehicle and on the locations he can race.

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2534 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  21:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But we were talking about how there is only one world record. What does faired and unfaired mean? The IHPVA doesn't differentiate because it is too difficult (my guess). The WRRA has tried to define "unfaired bikes" but the strongest rider with the fastest bike decided to use shoe fairings/foot fairing/pedal fairings which were illegal under the WRRA rules. The rider would have broken the record without them, but he obviously doesn't agree with the rules and decided to set a mark on his own.

We've had discussions on big seat stays, splitter plates, max altitude, whether prone recumbent bikes are "recumbent bikes", but we'll never agree on every rule. So we either support an organization and compete under its set of rules, or we go our own way. Either way, a performance stands on its own (as long as most everyone believes it to be accurate). It will get listed in this forum.

And when they're all listed, one can sort through the data in any manner they choose to create their own categories.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3819 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  21:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What upsets me is this, in 1914 streamlined bikes are banned, in 1934 recumbents are banned by the UCI. In 1974, the IHPVA is formed to allow ANY vehicle under these basic rules - it must be human powered, no stored energy, no drafting, no going downhill*. In about 2004 (?)the WRRA was formed to go back all the way to 1934 and finally give non-faired recumbents their credit. Non-faired meant no tailboxes or tailboxes or fully-enclosed shells, ie so only one more restriction than the IHPVA rules. WHY are we forgetting these most basic of rules? that we want to see vehicles of a particular type go fast! Forget dimensions of shoe fairings (they are not a fairing in my opinion, Aure's bike is stock in my opinion).

*[By 1977 or so, the slope of the Ontario Motor Speedway, a low-altitude course where the Speed Championships were being held, was measured at about 2/3rds of one-percent downgrade along its straightaway. So this is how we got this slope rule, because cooler heads back then reasoned that it would be very difficult to find courses anywhere that are truly 100% flat.].

The result is in 5 short years, the world record for human powered speed went from 43 mph to 63 mph. Then the Dupont Prize and another innovation, going to altitude, took it to 65 mph. Going to altitude wasn't new, uprights had been setting records since 1967 in Mexico. Before that, many records were set at sea-level in Italy.

In 2000, Sean Costin and Thom Ollinger got the first event organized at Battle Mountain, things changed dramatically. That first year, in just feeling out the course, Sam went 72 mph. This ironically would have been what woudl have predicted by looking at the 20-year trend from the Vector Tandem, to Gold Rush to the Cheetah. The next year, the first WHPSC and heated competition between Sam and Matt Weaver, who found Battle Mountain, took the record over 80 mph.
Go to Top of Page

Jackrabbit Jimmy
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
292 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  05:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

if you aren't and active participant, what value do you opinions have in the direct context of the situation?

Thom my opinion and a buck and a half will get me a coffee at Tim Hortons and I recon it would take the same for you.

Jackrabbit Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  07:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does coffee really cost a buck and a half? I also just realized that in Aure's original, nowhere does he use the word "record". Simply that he wishes to do his best for an hour. Clever fellow. I hope he reaches his goal. That's what really matters to each of us.
Go to Top of Page

FierceAngel
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  15:19:29  Show Profile  Visit FierceAngel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aure,

power to the pedal! I support you in finding out what you are made of and how fast you can go in an hour on a bike of your choice. While it is nice to be recognized by a sanctioning organization, ultimately, it is all about you and being satisfied that you have given all that you have to achieve the goal that makes the most sense to you. I will be eagerly waiting to hear updates on this endeavor. Please keep us posted!

Expect the Impossible
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  19:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The altitude limitation in the WRRA was established because it increased the opportunity for people around the world to set records at any one of hundreds of velodromes.

If you allow records at high altitude velodromes - there are only a few of them and as far as I know only 2 have good surfaces. So unless you or your bike are significantly better than your competition, you better start saving your money for an expensive trip.

It is hard enough to build a competitive bike and have a great athlete ride it to a record. Why would someone want to add an even bigger obstacles.

Currently a man or woman of reasonable means could make an attempt at the top record in their home country.

If you want to change that rule then you have an opportunity. I am resigning from my position as WRRA Commissioner as soon as a replacment can be found. Currently none of the other committee members is interested in the Commissioner position, so if you think this is something you are called to do, then please contact me.

Sean

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  22:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally believe making an hour record convient doesn't honor it's significance. You've basically created the low altitude velodrome recumbent hour record. If you can't set it anywhere in the world, it isn't a world record. And it is really unfair to Mexican recumbent racers! I live thousands of miles from a.wooden velodrome. I've never even seen on. That is unfair and they should be off limits, too. Kidding of course.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000