Keeping it Simple
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AviationMetalSmith
recumbent enthusiast

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  10:58:44  Show Profile  Visit AviationMetalSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote

This is an idea for an upright bike. Remember the KISS Rule.

http://www.gizmag.com/null-winds-upper-wheel-fairings/31781/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=94f89528bb-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-94f89528bb-91366269

Edited by - AviationMetalSmith on 04/25/2014 10:59:40

hordur
Starting Member

Sweden
3 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  03:41:14  Show Profile  Visit hordur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i am not totally sold on the concept due to all the bits and bobs sticking out of the construction, such as screws and stiffeners.

I would have suggested a fender with this feature included instead of this solution.
That would eliminate most of the stiffeners needed aswell as providing a better structure to further incorporate the fork in the wheel fairing, steering the air to the outside of the fork instead of between fork and fairing.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3803 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  07:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's correct about the wheel moving twice as fast at the top as the bicycle's speed, and essentially zero at ground contact point. But I agree, I'm not sold on the idea of the thin rods and extra bits sticking out in the wind. At a minimum, the rods should be going horizontal.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3704 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  09:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3%, maybe. 20% is ridiculous. I volunteer to race anyone who bolts that junk to their bike.
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  15:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The concept would be best integrated into a custom frame and fork with purpose built braze-ons.
Go to Top of Page

cplager
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  11:39:35  Show Profile  Visit cplager's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbiker

3%, maybe. 20% is ridiculous. I volunteer to race anyone who bolts that junk to their bike.

20% speed increase at the same power means an over 40% reduction in aerodynamic drag (assuming drag is only aerodynamic - more if there is rolling resistance).

I'm sorry. I just don't buy 20%.

Heck, I'll race anybody who bolds that to their bike and I'm notoriously slow. :D

http://Charles.Plager.net
http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000