Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  22:12:36  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Travis sprayed two plugs tonight with clear duratec.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  19:39:53  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CURING A EXTRA DAY.

Now we have 20” front fenders carbon or glass. Nice plug now to prep for 2 piece mold/tool.

Alot of shiny work to only use one time. Still haf to wet-sand and polish:

Saturday: started the rewarding task a few days of wet sanding. 1000,1200,1800, this is a easy process & enjoyable. Buff with wizard next week and get another bottle of swirl remover. Nerves of a whore in church.

———————-

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 12/09/2017 12:31:57
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6294 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  09:30:58  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very pretty! I may be hitting you up for some 20" wheel fairings!
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  13:49:57  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. Fg-innegra or cf-innegra. Mold ready in couple weeks or close. Conquered the sand buff tech of duratec sunshield & very happy. They hang below axles.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  21:24:00  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry this gets boring but plugs and the hardest longest parts to finish in the industry. Large companies pay 125$ per sq foot to have them made & ready to polish.

i’ve learned that I don’t hate making plugs and a bunch of new techniques. Some of the next big plugs will be foam covered in duratec products. Type in fiberglast.com. & watch their YouTube channel.

From this to:

this:

—————-

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 12/18/2017 10:04:12
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  10:27:45  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Started the split mold of fear cowling . Zoom in u see the 4 wheeler hardware from europe on my shop vehicle.

Closer: 3 part mold

Also will use this split mold below to make rear wheel wells for my 4 wheeler velomobiel unibody.

Brevity & misspellings rampant. (New lens in left eye/blurr)
——————————————-

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 01/25/2018 22:38:03
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  12:29:32  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out ovens in general topics for other parts of this velo.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  17:35:55  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New plug to pull another mold.

This will make a 3 window carbon frame to install into the carbon canopy.

Out side is together now @ seams with bondo.

Will flip tomorrow and glass inside for strength.

This plug will be grey duratec and wet sanded hopefully in week or so.

Two different styles of windows in my carbon canopy up front.

Closer to pulling a mold from this plug too: sand and sand. Then polish.

Sprayed this first coat out in driveway today, now some fine tuning wet-sanding and then buff the polyester and pull a mold from this:

———————

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 01/23/2018 07:25:32
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  22:31:52  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two and half hour layup. 5 & 6 layers of 11oz twill. Should be a nice window frame mold/tool.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2018 :  11:36:30  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New canopy look:

1) more pedal clearance
2) make windows at home & install
3) no oven windows/ great for owner repairs

Relaxing to layup this part last night. Mold turned out great. Majority does not want a canopy style velomobiel but l wanted one to ride all winter here with fairly mild winters @ night or day.

I think it looks good/favors the challenger velomobiel. And can install led brake lights atop the unit also.

Waiste part: above
Unit glues inside of cf canopy along with the 3 windows. Gonna build a joggle on the mold after i find scribe line with this waisted part i made with blk polyester and fiberglass. Next one for use will be 2 kinds of carbon with innegra imbedded in it.

[Finally frekote]

—————————-

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 03/01/2018 08:13:28
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  10:05:04  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another plug started few days ago : this part will accept the 4 wheeler rear-end hardware in the carbon fiber velo unibody. Wheel wells, floor. Also will use HILGO rear shifter on order (not a conventional derailleur). 10 sp rear & pinion 18 sp at front.

5 pieces so far, 2 more.

8 pieces now almost finished to make 4 wheeler rear-end hardware plug. May finish in few weeks:

Plug=mold=part
————————

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 02/19/2018 06:14:23
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  16:07:23  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A & B complete, now start C of 3 part mold: rear cowling.

—————————
1st of 3 coats of orange every hour then 1 layer of glass mat each day for 3 layers.

Edited by - carolina on 02/22/2018 15:05:58
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6294 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  08:14:03  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, you have a tail AND a top! It's starting to look like a real velomobile!
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  18:39:07  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Warren, built this for doctor w/750w bafang. It grows on ya.

Nice to have molds finished but I’ll keep making improvements/more plugs and molds. Somewhat addictive to retirees. Shop time! Gotta build me a unibody. Riding now in this incredible weather/80 everyday, nights are great. 4 wheeler has spoiled me, don’t want a trike.

Edited by - carolina on 02/23/2018 18:53:31
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Martin
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  18:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, you note that you use 3 layers of mat... is this 2oz mat? Is three layers of mat strong enough for a mold?
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  18:59:30  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use 3 layers of mat over orange polyester tooling gelcoat to give it structure then i cheat with carbon or fg boat cloth over mat with epoxy. 1/4” flanges drilled and bolted.

Formula used: E over P always. (Epoxy over polyester). The big orange cowling mold i wanted to do orange because orange can be buiffed to higloss or repaired, sanded & buffed to higloss.

The black molds i make are black epoxy tooling gelcoat & carbon over that.
———————
I always use 3/4 oz mat. Compositeenvisions.com

Matthew Martin: watch this vid again.

http://youtu.be/keBwRhkfuOQ

————————-

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 02/23/2018 19:06:35
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2018 :  18:26:23  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally getting close to finish. 3piece split mold. I finished 2 other molds, started another complex mold, and mod’ed my lowracer while still trying to finish this mold. Huge project.

—————————
velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 02/28/2018 18:55:49
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  17:01:02  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Velomobiel riding.
https://youtu.be/-hUVeMtgY_g

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2018 :  17:01:54  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rodeo! I won!

Got lucky, nice 3 piece split mold, No blemishes or bad areas in 3 pieces. Some wet sanding and polishing of orange tooling gelcoat. That mold took forever, was not expecting that. Alot of work. Quicker way would have been the blk epoxy tooling gel & carbon. And flange fences are pia.

Will take few days to prep mold for 2 layer part w/innegra. 14 layers of release (3 cans) agents. Not including buffing. Trimming & sanding flanges outside in monkey suit big pain.

Current photo:

Getting ready to put legs on mold:

Edited by - carolina on 03/11/2018 18:55:46
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  15:28:29  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Made new carbon window frame with twill,uni,innegra & some peel-ply in a few places. Polycarbonate windows going in later.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

ibdizzy1
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  22:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I got registered! Carolina, your canopy is looking great since I last saw it! When you use innegra, do you layer it top and bottom with something else in between? or do you have a single innegra layer in the middle layer with something else above and below it? I'm curious about what you have found to be the strongest most durable way to layer it?
Great progress you are making! Four wheels for traction and stability! Wow!

Dan Isbell
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  22:37:21  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes the innegra is sandwiched in between of cf or fg.

The mule I built is 4 wheeler now with pinion 18 sp trans, SRAM 10 sp at rear. I love the rear-end allert invented in the Netherlands over a year or so is incredible w/mini air-bags, differential, and all.

Please start a thread here below me and Terry for your beautiful Mulsanne velo. We are glad your here indizzy. Everyone will wanta see inside and out of your velomobile.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 03/11/2018 22:38:14
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  13:10:20  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got’er done! Wheels & foam bumpers:)

Need to make a couple parts soon, mold is frekote’ed!

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 03/14/2018 10:36:08
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  18:15:50  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New polycarbonate i will try. Five window canopy. No heat for now. Thinner and flexable polycarbonate.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

carolina
recumbent guru

USA
903 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  10:36:56  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seat view:

——————————

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 03/16/2018 10:40:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000