Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  08:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a new build, testing install atm. Ran an animated GIF of iso velocity envelopes for the trike. Not sure if it would have been neater in reverse. Bad thing about running sims on those skates is those are actually "miniature shells". A shell export has about 100,000 vertexes. AutoDesk's CFD has to check against them all. The skate has 300,000 vertexes so a super-rez run has been going for two days. It's getting pretty close now though.

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/shooky56/media/Recumbent%20Postings/output_eP1xak_zpsaua6sntu.gif.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  13:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have another release with a few updates and a couple of new things in it.

Grant: If you can pick my email off the forum, drop me a line and put fluids63 in the topic. Ray agreed to allow you to have my copy.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  18:09:44  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool animated GIF, Wayne!

I uploaded the latest version, 1.4.7.0.

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/download/wayne/HPV%20shell%20Designer%20Installer.msi
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/download/wayne/setup.exe

If you are upgrading, first run the uninstall from add/remove programs.

Download both files to the same directory and run setup.exe

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2015 :  09:25:17  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have reviewed the results of Wayne's Cuda-W analysis runs and it shows that by raising the shell and going to a camera bike configuration I could break 70 MPH at Battle Mountain. Without building a new streamliner! Woo Hoo!

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/barracuda/cda

Go to Top of Page

mikes
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  09:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So.....
We will see you in September?
Mike Sova.
Go to Top of Page

mikes
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  09:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So.....
We will see you in September?
Mike Sova.
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  09:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the software. I have downloaded the HPV shell Designer and the Fluids6; all I have to do is learn how to use it. A sub 0.3 Cd on a TT bike would be awesome. First up is the mountain bike configuration since that will be the biggest consumer market.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  12:47:21  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not this year Mike - to much uncertainty in my life at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

mikes
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  13:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then perhaps next year?
Go to Top of Page

Filip Arvidsson
Starting Member

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  14:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive lost the ability to adjust rider size in the latest version, is this just for me or has anyone else got this issue?
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  14:41:12  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Mike, Hopefully 2016!

I haven't installed the new version yet. I'll do that and try adjusting the rider.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  15:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no! Dang it I haven't adjusted a rider for a long time, did not test that. In the interim you can always install an older version.

Technically the new versions should always auto install over the old versions but that switch was only set properly in the last few (hence Warren's instructions to uninstall the old).

Old versions won't install over new ones so you'll have to uninstall through Windows then install the old one.

I'll look into it now and push one out as quick as I can.

Warren you'll like the canopy tool much better on the new one I think. You can drag the canopy nose deep into the shell to get a gently sloped front to the canopy too.

Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  15:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I found it. Disabled the box that shows the selected body part to let the new frame combo box come to the front and forgot to re-enable it when you went to the rider designer.

New version ready. Can't seem to get into Outlook right now but when that opens up I'll email Warren the new release.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  17:56:46  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I uploaded the latest version that fixes the rider sizing issue.

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/download/wayne/HPV%20shell%20Designer%20Installer.msi
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/download/wayne/setup.exe

-Warren.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  18:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Said this before but I released that with the "plank" widget maker sort of goofy. You can get a plank in there but it took me a long time to get right and I had a piece of plywood 32 inches long 3/8ths inch wide and 10 inches thick (changed dimensions). Doubt anybody else will want it but next Winter my plans are to do all the designing in 3D, heck with those bitmaps.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 :  09:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lost my development machine and it's been in the shop going on two weeks now. I wasn't pushing it too hard but was working a little every day to drop the GDI stuff. The term probably means little to this gang but GDI was what was used for the frame and rider designer. The frame designer had been converted to XNA (same as the shell designer) and boy that was so much better. Wished I'd done that from the start. Gone is the need to export as it's the same view as the shell (real 3D). It's just a lot better in my opinion and actually simplifies the code.

The rider will be a bit more difficult but plans are to provide tug marks and let you drag the rider's size. It's sort of like pinching your body and pulling until it's where you want. It should be so easy to shape ourselves in real life! Also plan to allow typing the dimensions as an alternative to dragging. Nothing major to post here just letting you know that version 2.0 is... or was... in the mix.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 :  11:01:33  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those should be great updates. No more Export button is a good thing.

I'm happy to hear you are on the road with the new Catrike. I haven't seen anybody do remote steering on a Catrike. Usually trike do remote steering with tie rods and another head tube mounted through the main tube but that's probably not an option for you. Most shells designed for stock trikes have front wheels in wheel wells and then have slots through the wheel wells for the direct steering. Maybe a remote steering system that clamps onto the main tube would work.

-Warren
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 :  13:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren thank for the steering suggestions.

During my 3 mile cool down today I studied the steering problem from a rider's point of view and you are exactly correct. My solution involves cutting and welding (or brazing) to fabricate a few things but basically it looks like this.

[I'm neglecting discussing cabling issues, we all know we can solve those somehow and anything that works and is reliable is just fine.]

Remove one steering handle and flip the other forward (again there may be some fabrication involved and it may not be the original handles but this gives the "general idea").

Attach a foot "sleeve" to the main central tube to support the steering shaft. Attach the steering tube to the forward steering handle with a tie rod.

Main issue for me now is just how much knee clearance I need which I won't know until I decide on a crank length. It seems tight to fit the steering wheel, my elbows and hands all inside the small volume below the "hood" of the shell and between my bent knee and chest. Elbows to the side help a lot and perhaps is the option I need. The cattrike seat is a bit wide anyway for a guy my size (except at the shoulder area.

In the interim hoping somebody has a crank arm suggestion, I'll plot out CF wheel covers.

Who welds aluminum in here, anybody? Seems like somebody welds crank arms. What are you using GMAW (TIG or MIG) or those newer brazing rods. I've used the brazing rods myself. They worked fine but not sure I trust them as much as a weld.

Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  07:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steering idea won't work. Heels move through the area needed for a forward tie rod. Back to head scratching on the steering.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  07:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a tiller that connects to the current tie rod. It could all exist top side of the main tube. Probably could make a "non-intrusive" test. Clamp on a big block to hold the tiller and just leave the old steering until I'm sure the idea works.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2524 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  09:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there two threads here?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  17:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Larry, there SHOULD be probably. This has sort of turned into the crazy rambling guy thread.
Go to Top of Page

Jono

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  17:26:41  Show Profile  Visit Jono's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This program has been super useful for me. I designed my shell in sketchup, but i used your program to help me work out all my dimentions for my pedal box.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  09:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jono. I'd offer to run CFDs for you but my dev box just got back from the shop (after nearly a month). Fortunately my solution files are still there but the software to run it is all gone and I'm out of town for a while so it may be anywhere from a week to a month before I could do that for you. Will post when I can.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  09:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whew! Think I'm actually back up and running. I should be able to run CFDs for you now if you want to email me your HPV file.

[I think these instructions are valid only for the most recent release]
To get that file, open a window's explorer and type in %appdata% in the address window at the top and go into the "HPV Design" folder then the "Projects" folder. If you don't have an address window you can browse to C:\Users\<your user name>\Appdata\Roaming\HPV Design\Projects).

Find your project's save name and mail me that project. I can export it as a mesh and run it through Autodesk's CFD tool.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000