Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  15:13:11  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you make a button that will open the output directory in file explorer? It always takes me a while to hunt for it...
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  15:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep!
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  19:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ARE YOU HAPPY NOW???? lol, you know I'm just kidding Warren, glad to do anything to make this easier to use.

Click the button in the upper left and it opens Windows Explorer to your output directory for this project, should change if you change projects. Also it is non-modal which, in English means you can leave it up and continue with your work in parallel (it doesn't hang waiting for the window to close).

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/shooky56/media/Recumbent%20Postings/Go%20to%20the%20Output%20Dir%20Example_zpscowr6fsr.png.html]
[/URL]
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  05:44:32  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ooooh. I like pretty buttons. Thank you Wayne!
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  07:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehe. Working on the MSI now but the first one failed miserably. Would have bet it was the PDF stuff for sure but the installer DID install the necessary PDF files so it's got me scratching my head a bit.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  14:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The software does work but needs VC++ 2012 Redistributables on the target machine. Since this is VS 2010 I cannot specify prerequisites newer than VC++ 2010 (which doesn't work with the pdf converter). I think what will do is just catch the error and tell you that's probably the problem and you should install VC++ 2012 (from microsoft) to get pdf output.

In the interim, I'm actually making a nose cone out of foam board, totally temporary, but just to make sure the shape is coming out right. Should be functional until it gets wet. I'll have to refrain from sweating from the knees forward...

Even though I'm only working on it as a mental break from coding, I'm trying to keep a running total. I already had a rider, frame and shell built (in the HPV Designer) so that time is not in this but the printing (on 8x11s), taping the patterns together and cutting them is exactly one hour in. Everything is printed and 3 are cut (7 to go). Roughly 10 minutes per strip, no idea of the fastening time. Since this will be in the trash in short order I'm not getting too fancy, I'm just going to use clear box tape to hold the seams.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  06:25:44  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably too late now, but I have used the 1/4" (?) fan-fold pink insulation foam for this type of construction. It bends nicely and doesn't melt down if it gets wet. :)
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  06:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I considered that exact stuff Warren! Just happened to have the foam board already here. They actually make an 1/8" pink for metal siding/roofs. That's what I was thinking about if I can get it.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3755 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  13:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Shooky, shape up a coro body for your Catrike and you'll be the hero of Catrike owners everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  15:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about 1/3 of a body? Can I be a scrub hero???

Made a nose cone today (actually I worked some on it yesterday). Already had about an hour yesterday and it took another 1:15 today to finish cutting and fastening the pieces together. Mostly I wanted to check shape integrity. Did it come out in real life like I thought it would in the designer.

It's almost amazing how much it looks like I thought it should. The first test was to lay all 10 pieces nose to nose and see if they filled in a complete circle in the nose area. WOW they DID! That was the first warm fuzzy. As I fastened strip after strip it magically molded into the correct shape. While doing this I did a couple things. I made the foot box about 1 inch too small because I wanted to check the kinematics for accuracy also. The mount took about an hour although I forgot to time that part (dang it).

It's a bit further forward than on the screen because the stupid foot box is about 2 inches too small (part of that is I squished the top and bottom too close, it's heapum plenty wide at the foot box, squeezing in that width would give me some of that back. Also the mounting isn't perfect, I have it nose up a bit but my back was killing me so I'm quitting. May adjust it tomorrow.

The point is it is amazingly close. Whew. It felt like a moon shot. All that work and today was the day we see if it works!

Total time about 3:15. I timed just to give builders an idea of what to expect in terms of commitment.

Here's what I have, may rip it off and throw it alongside the road (pick it up later tonight) but it's getting a test in about 15 minutes.

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/shooky56/media/Recumbent%20Postings/Foam%20board%20nose%20cone_zpscu74u82c.png.html]
[/URL]
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  16:24:13  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good thing it's 100 degress at 100% humidity down there in SoIL. Have fun testing!
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  17:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... it was a record for today's course. Not only that it set a few other records. I've never coasted that thing 30 mph ANYTIME, huge tailwinds downhill, nada. I've ridden it 37 but I was sprinting downhill and down wind. Today I coasted down a short hill (with my 4 mph tailwind) at 31 mph. That was a positive sign. Reached the halfway point right around a tie for my fastest on the trike but there's been days when the winds were really pushing me to that point.

Unfortunately the next section is 4 miles East and the nearby power plant was showing SE winds so I had to fight that cross headwind. It did not seem to offer an advantage in that cross wind, maybe break-even. The next and final leg had a headwind for 5 miles. Despite that and suffering a bit in the heat, it was still a personal best for the trike. Nothing too flashy, 21.2 mph eclipsing the 21.0 but that 21.0 had better winds and was in 78 degrees instead of 90.

So in case any of you were in doubt about fairings... they work.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3755 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  18:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're preaching to the choir....
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  18:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL roger that, roger that
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  18:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But to the point here. I never found out any clean way to make sure VC++ Redistributable 2012 is loaded (necessary for the PDF). The easy thing to do would be just tell you to make sure it (or something higher I think will work) is loaded. Couple more days of piddling around to see if I can come up with something aesthetic for this problem but then I'll get it ready to ship and just tell you to do that if it crashes.

Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2015 :  13:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  19:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh you're welcome of course Grant, great community here, glad I have something to offer. As I learned how best to fasten the strips together, it would have been much easier if I'd have had tic marks along the edge so you can align the tics way back on the thick part of the strip first. Would have been about twice as easy with those.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  19:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a phone call and just clicked post. The point is I'm making the tick marks now and will have an msi ready in two or three days probably.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  19:58:55  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We can provide a link to download the 2012 c++ runtime too.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  05:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Think I've got something fairly painless working Warren but may take you up on that if the tests go poorly.

It took me a bit to dig it up but MicroSoft basically says we are permitted to distribute the executables any time any place any where, so long as they aren't modified (which of course I wouldn't do on a bet). That gave me a couple options I didn't want to use prior. Not that MicroSoft would do anything beyond say "quit" so long as we weren't malicious.

Ticks are working so I'm just running test installs now.
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  07:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tick marks could also mark the position of the ribs.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  12:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rib marks: Damn you! LOL. That's another good idea. Not particularly trivial to do or I'd add it to this MSI. Ribs do honor the wide strips (so they look like octagons or decagons (10 sided) or whatever you choose for your strip count.

Version 1.4.9 MSI is ready for Warren to post when he gets around to it (might actually be home today).

I made the tics head toward the centerline of the short dimension ("y" which equals the height of the strip). In some case the tail of the strip curves so the tick marks end up backwards but it shouldn't matter much, you have to transfer them to strip manually anyway and I doubt anyone will pay much attention to more than a couple near the middle of its length.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  06:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant I was working on the tic marks for the ribs. It's anything but trivial. Skip down to the --------- to avoid the math banter.

The original points are stored as 3D points in space. I have to take those points, "iron" out the curvature and when the strip is flat, twist it so it aligns horizontally (something like making a pant leg align to an ironing board). The final points used for the PDFs and PNGs are completely disassociated from the original 3D points.

Locating ribs is pretty easy using the originals but doing it with the final points is quite different. What I decided to do was just run a parallel set of points with a tiny set that was "points that made contact with the ribs" and do all the same operations on them, then draw them separately. They would have shown up as tiny triangles in the right spot

----------------

Had it about half done when I go, "wait a minute, this isn't needed". Here's why. The ribs will only shove so far into the shell and jam tight. That's the right spot.

I think the thing to do is fasten the strips together, then cut the entry hole out of the top. Using that hole, insert the nose rib and push it toward the nose until it jams. Repeat going bigger until you get close to your hole then do the tail sections the same way.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
981 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  15:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know half of what you said Wayne, but it looks great! I want to build a coroplast liner this winter. I might be asking a lot of questions! What part of Southern IL do you live? I am about 55 miles SW of St. Louis.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
981 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  15:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the part about not understanding, I meant the computer stuff. Man, that is a cool looking trike and nose cone!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000