Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  15:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live about the same SE of St. Louis! BTW if the final product is the coroplast then you may still want the ribs as a guide for internal bracing or something. I suspect just one rib near the middle will suffice. When these are fastened together, the compound shape created is self-reinforcing for the most part.

For the MSIs, Warren is working on it. The files were too big to email with the addition of MicroSoft's VC++ installer so I had to upload them to google drive and give him permission to pull them. Haven't gotten all the T's crossed and I's dotted right just yet but we're working it.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  15:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL and your second comment came in while I was typing mine. Thank you I'm pretty excited about a full shell now but and still vacillating between just going CoroPlast and using foam as a starter base for more foam to sand a smooth mold for carbon. Decisions decisions. Probably coro just to get my feet wet to the world of shells.

-----

The added speed is intoxicating, I lust for more...

Pinky: "What we goin' do today Brain?".

Brain <in a sinister voice>: "Same thing we do everyday, try and take over the world.".

Much like Brain's need for power, I have a similar need for speed!

Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  15:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh for those not familiar, that's from the cartoon "Pinky and the Brain".
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
981 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  16:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the reason for me going coro also. Cheap and can be fast. Walk before I try to run. I need to get faster before I get too old. I've got to have more power Captain.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  17:09:17  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have uploaded the latest version, please find them here.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  17:25:46  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I installed the new version and coro-ized a trike fairing design that I made in a previous version.

Cool!
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  17:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Warren, does look cool! Oh one thing. I have the default DPI set for 72, I think maybe I should change it 96. Before you print this up print a test sheet and measure the grid squares to make sure they are 1" x 1" if they are 3/4 by 3/4 then change VDPI and HDPI (on the output page) to 96 and 96.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
981 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  18:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wayne and Warren. Even I can understand this, and I am computer ignorant. I hope with this design system I can get started on my streamliner by October 1st. Maybe I'll make two versions. One from all coroplast and another one with a coro nose cone and tail box, with HD spandex middle. Thanks again for all your hard work on this. My hat is off to both of you.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  18:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome. Hope it comes out well, I do caution that it hasn't passed enough checks yet (test runs by users) to be certain these shells are exactly the right size to fit your rider. Building a properly sized rider is the hardest thing to do in this IMO, fortunately you only have to do that once as you can re-use that rider. But I should know pretty shortly how well a full-sized one fits.

Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  10:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update. It took me a bit to get working svg files but they are working and they are printing. I've just run my first test print and have not checked the scale (not a problem will have to correct to whatever scale I need) but I sent it essentially the same thing I printed on the 8.5 x 11 sheets the other day.

A couple days ago I used the conversion tool that came with the printer (takes a pdf or png and makes an svg file). When I printed that conversion it took about 5 minutes to print 1/10th of one strip. It had 6000 nodes and they seemed to be ordered randomly in space (it spent all its time moving around very little drawing).

So I made my own svg output and the draw commands are listed in order so the lines are continuous. There are 150 times LESS nodes and each node begins where the other quit so it's a smooth draw and it took 60 seconds to make one strip (about 50 times faster than before). It basically drew 8 feet long from one end to the other and back. The first run nailed it perfectly (the end of the second line stopped EXACTLY where the first started) but the second drifted by 6mm. I can modify it so it only runs the length once and halve that error but it'll spend a bit more time as the printer head moves across. Also two of these easily fit (10 strips on a shell) on one run probably most of the time. Still some work to do though.

If you're a total geek obsessed with riding faster... this is exciting stuff!

Will report as I know more technical info.

I told Warren in an email that I've joined the ranks of concubines to the Aero Vampire. I have been thoroughly bitten.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  10:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Won't be too long until I know more about how the sizing is going. This morning I started a CoroPlast nose cone. The old one is 30 inches, this one will be 40 and should contain most of my foot box, the old one only caught about the forward 30%.

All the pieces are cut. I cut the left side with a razor, but I used my circular saw on the right pieces and it did a nicer job (guiding aided by a laser on the blade) and was quite a bit faster. Who'd have thought?

Now to figure out how to seam them.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  10:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and just another ride report on the temporary poster board nose cone. So far every outing has been a record except the group ride I did last Saturday. One of my more solid rides on the non-nose cone trike was an out-n-back 18 miler at 20.7. Broke that record yesterday with the nose cone by 3 minutes at 21.9.
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  10:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 4mm coroplast I double tape the seams for now but a good quality paintable caulk might give a better finish. I use the saw when cutting thicker material and when I need to make a cut on an angle or miter.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3756 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  10:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That trike looks like a winner!
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2524 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  10:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warren, can you add "GOODYEAR" to the picture? Looks great!

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3756 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  11:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HINDENBURG. One staticie sweater and "Oh the humanity!".
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  11:33:05  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I may still have a large Goodyear decal around from my SCCA racing days.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  12:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, you guys crack me up. I'm half tempted to put the "Oh the humanity!" thing on there I am seriously sitting here laughing while I'm typing.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  17:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I started on my CoroPlast version of a nose cone today. Total time to this point 4:40 although it should be 4hrs flat because I built the right side backwards and didn't know it until I attached the two halves and noticed it wasn't symmetrical. Dang it and I tried to make sure I was doing that right too. Anyway caulked on the back side. I have a group ride in the AM but perhaps tomorrow afternoon I'll pull the tape and caulk the outside then see what it takes to mount.

Then I'll know how the foot box fits and how close the designer is to actual shell. This time my feet are under the cone.

Thom: This isn't far from the shell Warren built although skinnier to fit inside the front wheels. Since it's only the nose, I'm printing "Oh the..." on the side.

Picture did not come out well but it's not caved between the seams (kind of looks like it on the picture). I'll post a better one later.

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/shooky56/media/Recumbent%20Postings/Coro%20Nose%20Cone_zpscmjle3dy.png.html]
[/URL]

Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  17:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been testing the dimensional correctness of these shells. The concern is to make sure your shells will fit. If you think you'll clear the shell with your foot, shoulders and rump, then build the shell and find out you don't quite fit, it'd be a bit of a disappointment.

At risk of blowing too much Sunshine on this it is pretty close. It may be a whisker small. The test has tightest foot box possible without my animation poking out parts of my foot. After building the nose cone I carefully positioned it where the software thought it should be then climbed in and rode. Was so involved I was down the road before I figured out I didn't have on a helmet and it was the "why do I have so much more air on my head" that made me figure that out... sheesh.

My foot occasionally ticked against the Coroplast but the mount isn't 100% solid either and I was getting a little bit of shift over bumps.

So the bottom line is, it is pretty close. Again I caution to err on the side of a bit of extra space. I plan to build a test shell myself. If the shell fits I think it may be possible to brace up the inside maybe add some expansion foam inside to sturdy it. Then expansion foam the outside for a sand medium to build a real compound curve shell (3 step: plug, mold, product).

Really not much more going on other than I'm piddling with the svg output to print a couple or three of these strips side by side in one pass. I'll post when I get that working.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2015 :  15:11:32  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Wayne,

Ah, the joys of Coroplast! I usually use the small plastic zip ties every 6 inches or so to fasten the coroplast together, with the zipper on the inside. You just poke holes one rib from the edge and run the zip tie through. It looks pretty good and is strong. You can then cover the joints with some nice color matching tape. Peaople have also used fishing line hot glue and other methoda, but I like the 'ole wire tie.

When I get the shape together I usually use 1" x 1/8" hardware store aluminum strap for the hard points, and fasten it to the coroplast with aluminum pop rivets. PVC water pipe works really well for the cross pieces and main supports anlong with PVC "T"s. Note that the PVC Ts are not always strong enough.

See: http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/bubblemounting/bubblemounting.htm
and:
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/practical/hpvpfair.htm

-Warren

Edited by - warren on 09/13/2015 15:12:06
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2015 :  18:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it! Thanks Warren.
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2015 :  19:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me in on the zip tie and PVC tubing method too. I use spray adhesive and plastic pieces to reinforce the mounts for my auto mirrors. Mounts to the frame are U-bolts and aluminum angle stock
Go to Top of Page

revbsg
recumbent enthusiast

136 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  06:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shooky:

Take a look at this.

http://www.bostonandpop.com/bike/bikepro/

May give you some ideas. We can talk more about these things at Cedar Rapids.

Godspeed,
the Padre
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  07:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding! I really like that method. Thanks everybody! Yesterday's ride with just the cardboard nose cone came within 1 mph of "what I was doing last year" on my TT bike.

See you in a few days.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000