982 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  11:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wayne.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  15:48:23  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to build a coroplast version of the Cuda-W to see what the speed difference is.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
982 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  18:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see it Warren.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  10:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a progress report: Back on the Designer again, been on another project for a couple weeks. Latest work is creating meshes for the parts used in the frame designer. Haven't quite got the converter working right yet but getting closer.
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
514 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  01:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, keep up the good work!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
982 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  14:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second what Balor said. Nice going.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  13:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't posted for a while. Lots of life things going on that are side tracks including a family robotic project which required me to upgrade to Windows 10. As an owner of multiple W7 pro copies, I was entitled to free W10 pro so the cost was nada. However Windows 10 has completely dropped support for creating XNA (what I used) projects. They run just fine (on my PC it chose W8 compatibility by default and automatically), but cannot be developed.

So I made a dual boot, W7/W10 box. I have a W7 still running but my "super computer" is now dual boot. As I started to work through the myriad of setup issues to get all this to work (yet again), it crossed my mind that the coding community may have other solutions.

They do and I'm working on that now (using MonoGame for the 3D rendering).

Certainly not pushing like I was, the software is fine for my use already (it does everything I need). My big push was I thought others would like it too and am trying to honor the requests as best I can. After getting a nasty-gram from one user who said it is useless and they knew for a fact that no one would ever use it, it kind of blew the wind out of my sails. Why keep writing for a community that doesn't want it? A few have countered that and I'm trying to keep tinkering at it.

Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  14:01:14  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I doubt that that person actually tried to use the software.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
982 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  18:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne, don't let you know who mess you up. He is probably as computer stupid as I am. I know how to email, post on forums, and do google searches, but that is the extent of my computer knowledge. Oh yeah, I forgot, I even learned how to post pictures here! Anyway, I think your efforts will be well used and appreciated. I plan on trying to learn to use the program. I might have to camp out in your back yard to learn it. LOL.

Good luck and don't let anyone stop you. If your program only helps one person, then it is a success.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  19:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, appreciate the support.
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  19:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people would complain if they got hanged with a new rope;) Thanks for all you do Wayne!
Go to Top of Page

Tom Schneider
recumbent enthusiast

112 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  04:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grant-53

Some people would complain if they got hanged with a new rope;) Thanks for all you do Wayne!

+1
I also plan on learning to use this program.

Thanks,
Tom
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
514 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2016 :  05:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, you definitely rock, code on :)
Go to Top of Page

artyb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  08:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this programme is brilliant-and offering it to the community is also very helpful. I've been trying out various CAD/robotics programmes for years, without much success-I'm really grateful to have it. The way it includes so many helpful aspects such as frame, rider size, pedal movements etc and shell is great. Incidentally it also seemed to run well via WINE on Linux, perhaps surprisingly given the many frameworks it uses, which might be of use to other readers. Looking forward to further refinements etc. I'm not sure how prominently disseminated it has been, I search for news and tools relating to velomobiles fairly regularly and only recently discovered this. Might there be source-code/greater cross-platform planning available sometime?
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  08:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you arty, had no idea it would run on Linux and you are correct about it pulling in several 3rd party libraries. That is very good news.

Finally got my software building again. It's a rather long story but I ended up with a W7/W10 dual boot. Reinstalled everything on the W7. Had forgotten some of the tricks I had to do to get VS10 to work with XNA so there was a seemingly endless of amount of re-installs. Finally one combination worked. A little path fixing (for dependencies) is required to get any version to compile.

Finally pulled up the Kamm builder release version. Dragging the canopy causes an error. The error goes back several versions (not releases) and haven't figured it out yet. Trying to get back to spending a disciplined amount of time.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  09:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had an error in my strip code which caused the strips to be too thin toward the rear. On a 9 foot long shell, the error amounted to about quite a bit. The worst case I saw was 3 inches in circumference (1" diameter) but it could have been worse. I'm building an FRP shell and made ribs to hold pink foam strips which will be sanded to a smooth shell shape. The ribs (which were correct) did not quite fit the rear. Up near the foot box, the only part I'd ever checked, the error was so small it was not noticed. It was about 1.5 inches (4cm) circumference. That's about 1/4 inch (6mm) radius. Easy to see how I missed it since a nose cone back to the foot box is the largest I'd made to date.

Fixed but not delivered to Warren yet.
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  13:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been working on a shell. Was working on another delta but want to get a shell for my cattrike done first so the new frame moved to the back burner for a bit.

Here is the right half of the shell. If the nose pieces won't pull in (there are bend slot cut on the back of them), I'll cut off the foam points, fill it in with urethane foam then sand the shape I want. My intent is to sand this smooth and finish it for a plug for a fiberglass one-off. If that fits, it may go to carbon/Kevlar but probably just wait to do carbon for the delta.

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/shooky56/media/photobucket-1795926-1459886834241_zpsakoyqguf.jpg.html]
[/URL]
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  14:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That kind of looks like a build topic but the point is, this shell is the direct output of the software. The strip patterns are printed on multiple 8.5x11 sheets, laid against an 8 foot straight edge (and ruler) and taped together, taped onto the foam then cut with a razor knife.

The aluminum ruler serves to keep the paper aligned and allows using the inch grid printed on the sheets to keep errors from accumulating along the length.

Never did get my banner printer to track across 10 feet, this is much more accurate until I get a guide working for that thing.

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/shooky56/media/photobucket-279144-1459257685349_zps5ba75joa.jpg.html]
[/URL]
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  15:24:59  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great Wayne!
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  04:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Warren.

This may be old hat to some. Again apologies but such a short detail doesn't seem to warrant a new thread. Watched a video on testing different things to glue polystyrene together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnOegaOKu38

There were several that worked well. The two that seem to cover most of my needs for sticking this stuff together were:

Glidden Gripper
+ cheap, not messy, strong (bond stronger than the foam)
- only glues closely mated (i.e. "flat surfaces"), not available everywhere but Home Depot has it

Urethane foam in a can (Great Stuff for example) NOT 2-part urethane (tested that myself, doesn't work).
+ fills cracks even big ones, strong, sands well, get this stuff lots of places
- messy, PITA to reuse even minutes later (dispensing tube plugs quickly)
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2016 :  19:29:40  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last month Wayne sent me a new version (V1.5) of the shell designer software that fixes a problem where dragging the canopy displays an error. I have now posted it to the shell designer page here: http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/hpvshelldesigner/
Go to Top of Page

Archer O. White-Horse
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  17:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Shook! Heard you did an update to HPV Shell Designer. Is that what is on the download link, or do I have to go somewhere else to get that?
Oops! What a Shear Nut! "Go to last page of Forum to read last update info!" Got it Guys. Thanks so much. Will post how my design is coming along.

Scott Reid Hampton

Edited by - Archer O. White-Horse on 04/30/2016 17:25:56
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
982 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  19:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I thought I was the only one with old timers! Ha. If I don't have a pocket on my riding shirt, my wife asks me more times than not, you know you have your shirt on backwards. LOL. I know how you feel Scott.
Go to Top of Page

Archer O. White-Horse
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2016 :  20:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne and Warren, Just restarted my low trike design again. I'm wondering if the program takes the canopy into consideration when you calc frontage area? I got a 543 si on my shell, and it uses underseat steering. The bottom of the seat in the program sits about 6 inches off the ground. My P-O-C Trike is 120 inch long, 27.0 inch tall, and 29.2 inch wide, (not counting 36 inch width at centers of rear hubs.). Wish me luck!

Scott Reid Hampton
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6118 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2016 :  05:18:26  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds great Scott. Wayne should read this soon to answer your question. Are you building your own trike too? Good luck with your build.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000