www.recumbents.com - XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 XStream Clone - Well not quite a clone...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  15:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit of riding time will help the recumbent handling skills. You will find suddenly everything will click into place. It takes time to get with the program.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  06:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been riding this on the training stand for a couple weeks. And, it's still not right. On the upstroke, my thighs hit the banjo fittings on the brakes. Tried making small adjustments to get some clearance, which helped but didn't solve the problem. So, I made another modification. I moved the brake levers to a 2nd set of bar ends, just inside of the handles. The reach is a little bit higher now to get the levers, but still acceptable.

I just have to figure out a place to mount my iPhone now.

Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
512 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  00:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks cool, like jet pilot cockpit :).
But do you have enough place for your fingers? Looks tight.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  13:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice weather again finally! Rode it today with this bar setup on it. It's much better. Control is much more... I would say fluid; not as twitchy. I think some of that at least is due to the added tiller (I moved the bars back toward my body a couple of inches). Didn't ride more than around the block due to not having the rear brakes bled yet.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  13:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Balor

Looks cool, like jet pilot cockpit :).
But do you have enough place for your fingers? Looks tight.

It's tight at the bottom, but my fingers are more toward the tops of the bars. I rest my thumbs on the shifters, with my index fingers on the brake levers.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
recumbent guru

USA
967 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  14:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it!
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  17:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was registering as a racer for the HPRA today and realized that this bike doesn't have a name. Does it need one? Probably not.

But, I'd like to name it. I was thinking of a cloud-like name since it's kind of a Rans clone. So, I came up with 'Cirriously'...
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2017 :  08:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laced up new wheels late last night. 700c + 451...

[/url]

Also rode about 3 miles this morning around the neighborhood. My power-side idler (T-Cycle) keeps slipping and rotating up on the tube. It then hits the steering bellcrank and rubs. This of course causes both drivetrain and steering issues at the same time. Not good.

Does this happen to anyone else? I've got it as tight as I can. It still slips from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Filip Arvidsson
Starting Member

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2017 :  14:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How come it isn't brazed on? The power idler is subjected to quite some force, mine are all welded on.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2017 :  15:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Filip Arvidsson

How come it isn't brazed on? The power idler is subjected to quite some force, mine are all welded on.

Mostly, I wasn't 100% sure where it would go and if the over/under would work (it didn't).

Now that I have a good combination and idler position, I may just have to fab a mount and braze it on.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  09:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weighed the bike today for the first time. It's @ 32.6 lbs. Not as light as I would like, but not bad for a steel frame homebuilt, I think.

I'm already assembling a lighter weight wheelset (700c+451), which should drop at least 2lbs.

Also, going to replace the chain with an X9, which drops about a half pound.

There's a few other parts that are much beefier than they really need to be (steering bellcranks for example). They'll get whittled down when I take it apart for paint later this spring/summer.

Edited by - ShelGame on 04/23/2017 09:16:49
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3744 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  21:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shel, when I was the first bent finisher at the 2010 Black Bear 100 the bike I was on was an old coroloner chassis. Race weight was 38 pounds. Quit worrying about weight. Braze that idler and ride, ride, ride! And someday train up to where you can do the Black Bear. It's amazing.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  05:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truth be told, most of the weight is coming out of the 'engine compartment'. Down 50lbs since October.

But, you're right. I need to train more.
Go to Top of Page

Patrick Bateman

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  12:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Patrick Bateman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShelGame

Truth be told, most of the weight is coming out of the 'engine compartment'. Down 50lbs since October.

But, you're right. I need to train more.

That's incredible! How often do you ride? Is your diet super-strict?
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  15:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keto. Not so strict, just nearly no carbs. No bread, no pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets, etc. Just meat and veggies. I do allow myself to indulge in onion rings. Outside of carbs, I eat whatever I want. Don't watch fat or cholesterol at all. Not that it was high to begin with, but my total cholesterol is down 30 points, too.

As for riding, I'd been trying to ride on the training stand early mornings all winter. But, I can only manage about 30 minutes 3 days a week on average. Then I have to works a late night or 2, or have an early meeting and my riding schedule gets interrupted. Clearly, an hour and a half a week on the stand isn't going to cut it.

Edited by - ShelGame on 04/29/2017 15:37:54
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  06:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Idler bracket; I'll hopefully get it brazed on tonight...

Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  07:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and brazed on...

Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2017 :  11:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a lot of training stand time on this bike now. But, not nearly as many miles. I've only ridden it around the neighborhood (because it's too big to fit in either of my cars, and don't have a roof rack yet). Maybe 50 miles on it. But, the steering still scares me. I feel like (not feel like, I am) I'm pulling back on the tiller to stabilize the bike. Granted, my neighborhood roads aren't the smoothest, and they have a bit of gravel. But, the bike seems to want to wander a bit. Without warning, really. I think that's what makes it uncomfortable.

So, is that the normal learning curve for tiller steering?

EDIT: I do think the steering mast is too flexy. When I'm pulling on the bars, I'm pulling it back nearly a half inch. When I take the bike apart for paint, I plan to replace the mast with a 1-1/8" x 0.065 tube (now it's 1" x 0.035, with a braze-on butt at the clamp). Could the flexy mast have something to do with the squirrely feel?

Edited by - ShelGame on 05/29/2017 12:39:21
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2017 :  12:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Full side view of the bike, in good light...

Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2017 :  16:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

2nd thought, I have noticed a bit of side-to-side movement of the seat. My seat stays seem very stiff front to back, but they callow the seat to sway side to side as I pedal. I notice the movement on the training stand. I wonder if the side-to-side movement of the seat is causing an imbalance due to my shifting upper body and that's what I feel as squirrelly steering?
Go to Top of Page

Tom Schneider
recumbent enthusiast

112 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  04:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShelGame

EDIT: I do think the steering mast is too flexy. When I'm pulling on the bars, I'm pulling it back nearly a half inch. When I take the bike apart for paint, I plan to replace the mast with a 1-1/8" x 0.065 tube (now it's 1" x 0.035, with a braze-on butt at the clamp). Could the flexy mast have something to do with the squirrely feel?

Why are you pulling on the bars? A light touch on the bars is better. If the movement comes from below the steering arm (loose mast headset bearings or clamp) it will affect the steering.
The flexy seat mount does need fixing, tight clamps to the top bar?

Tom

Edited by - Tom Schneider on 05/30/2017 04:57:33
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  06:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure why I'm pulling back on the bars, just find that I am. When I try to loosen up, the wheel darts side to side. I guess I'm kind of actively damping the steering.

The headset is not loose.

I measured the seat flex last night, it can move 3/4" with a relatively light touch. But, it doesn't move much more than that. I'm thinking about how I can add some bracing between the 2 stays. Or, build a new A-frame brace. I think I'll put the GoPro behind the bike tonight and record the flex while I'm on the training stand to see how much it moves while pedaling.

What does "tight clamps to the top bar" mean?
Go to Top of Page

Tom Schneider
recumbent enthusiast

112 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  08:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant clamps attached to the seat and clamping tightly to the frame. But adding bracing should work too.
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  09:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Schneider

I meant clamps attached to the seat and clamping tightly to the frame. But adding bracing should work too.

Yeah, all the clamps and bolts are tight. But, the struts are basically parallel. No triangulation, and no bracing from strut to strut. So, they can flex like a 4-bar mechanism...
Go to Top of Page

ShelGame
recumbent enthusiast

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  18:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seat flex video. Doesn't look good to me.

Edited by - ShelGame on 05/31/2017 18:13:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000